Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jun 26, 2022 1:53 PM
Jul 2018
English. It can be difficult pronouncing Japanese titles as I'm not familiar with the language.
Jun 26, 2022 3:15 PM
Feb 2014
I like to use the Japanese title for most of them, however, i do have some where i prefer to say the English title and i also translate a few titles into my native language sometimes as well, so, for example, my mother knows what i'm talking about lol.

Some examples for each one:

Japanese: Ao no Exorcist, Enen no Shouboutai, Boku dake ga inai machi, Shokugeki no Souma, Shoukoku no Altair, Tegamibachi. (I will NEVER call these by their english names period!!!)

English: Fullmetal Alchemist, Detective Conan, Monster Rancher, Pokemon, Sunday Without God

My native language: Duminica fara Dumnezeu (Sunday Without God), anime-ul cu celulele (The anime with cells AKA Hatarku Saibou lol), Lady Oscar (Ok, not really translated but that was the title of the German version too and i grew up with it, so my mother knows it by this name.), O familie fericita (Translated from the German title, the anime's Japane's title is Ai no Wakakusa Monogatari.), Copii de la ferma. (Again translated from the German title, in Japanese the anime is called Alps Monogatari: Watashi no Annette.)
My Shoujo, Josei and Female targeted anime adaptations starting from 2017+ stacks:

Part 1: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9181
Part 2: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9195
Part 3: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9225
Part 4: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9280
May 30, 2023 12:57 PM

Feb 2021
Idk why some people have an obssession with using the JP title. 

Like, I've never seen someone call Fullmetal Alchemist "Hagane no Renkinjutsushi" so I just find stupid when they use JP titles for some shows but not all....
May 30, 2023 1:12 PM

Feb 2023
English.

I detest most of the Japanese titles. Especially the ones that are reeeeeeeeeeeeeally long.
May 30, 2023 1:14 PM
Walpurgis

May 2023
I go by whichever title it's most commonly referred to as. 
May 30, 2023 9:12 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
Like you said I use both. Depends which one of them is more convenient and popular in searches ..

May 30, 2023 9:16 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
@MadanielFL that's true about the alchemist But when it's hagane no onna which is about a sexy teacher, I like to use the Japanese title

May 30, 2023 9:22 PM

Aug 2009
I can remember "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya" better than "Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu."

May 31, 2023 1:06 AM

Mar 2021
Japanese version. Sometimes it's hard to remember the names of those with long titles, though.

Even when the title is omitted, the Japanese version fits better.

The English version may be looked up because it is not clear what the work is about.

May 31, 2023 12:43 PM

Sep 2007
RavenWolf1 said:
Depends of anime. Which is easier to remember. Usually I use Japanese and sometimes English. I prefer Japanese.
Same here as well  to get the point across in conversion of what anime you're talking about for easier understanding.
May 31, 2023 5:26 PM

Jan 2020
I like the shortened and simplified title better, so it's English.

May 31, 2023 6:15 PM
Jul 2020
I prefer to use the “Japanese” ones.
Jun 1, 2023 4:25 AM

Jan 2023
In general english, because I understand what they mean, but it depends: sometimes I will have gotten used to the japanese one and/or it is shorter than the english one, so I'll keep using it.
Jun 1, 2023 4:50 AM

Sep 2008
Depends on what translation's easier to pronounce. For example, no way in hell I'm going to be able to regularly say the Japanese title for Problem Children Are Coming From Another World, Aren't They? (Japanese being Mondaiji-tachi ga Isekai Kara Kuru Sō Desu yo?).
Jun 1, 2023 9:08 AM

Aug 2013
MadanielFL said:
Idk why some people have an obssession with using the JP title. 

It's not an obsession, but common sense. For the same reason I'm almost never using translated titles of American movies. It loses its meaning and most of the times is just cringy in other language or completely made up. Not to mention that correct Japanese pronunciation is way, WAY easier to for me than English because my language has basically 1:1 Japanese sounds in its phonetics.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jun 1, 2023 9:16 AM

Jan 2022
english titles for sure lol. not gonna spend time trying to get the japanese titles right every time.
Jun 1, 2023 9:21 AM

Feb 2021
I like both, it doesn't matter to me.
Jun 1, 2023 9:24 AM

Nov 2011
sometimes the original title is already in English, but the localizers change the title anyways (e.g. Smile Precure --> Glitter Force)
other times, there's a perfectly fine original English title, but they change the title to be more woke-friendly. (e.g. To Become a Real Heroine! --> Heroines Run the Show)
as for me, whichever is shorter and most convenient. there's little point in using a Japanese title if most don't know what series i'm talking about without looking it up.
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Jun 1, 2023 10:26 AM

Feb 2021

rsc-pl said:
It's not an obsession, but common sense. For the same reason I'm almost never using translated titles of American movies. It loses its meaning and most of the times is just cringy in other language or completely made up. Not to mention that correct Japanese pronunciation is way, WAY easier to for me than English because my language has basically 1:1 Japanese sounds in its phonetics.
So do you say "Hagane no Renkinjutsushi" instead of Fullmetal Alchemist? 

And do you prefer to say "Maou Gakuin no Futekigousha: Shijou Saikyou no Maou no Shiso, Tensei shite Shison-tachi no Gakkou e Kayou" instead of The Misfit of Demon King Academy?
MadanielFLJun 1, 2023 10:29 AM
Jun 1, 2023 2:12 PM
Mar 2023
English titles are really weird most of the time but I use them if the Japanese one is weird to pronounce in English
                                 cacagorilla will take over
Jun 1, 2023 2:18 PM

Aug 2021
eversince i started using mal i got more familiar with japanese titles and i think they kinda dominate in my lexicon now
but still there are some stuff ill use the english title, like black butler or domestic girlfriend, maybe thats just kind of how i got introduced to them

based signature op btw
Jun 1, 2023 2:41 PM

Mar 2021
Hyacinth05 said:
Do you prefer English or Japanese title?

Depends on the Anime. If it's just a plain translation, then no point in having it said or written in Japanese using the Latin alphabet on a western platform. Even in real life when talking about Anime with Western friends I will use the English title names most of the time.

Usually on MAL I will just use it's English title names while linking them to the title in the MAL database. Easier for Those who don't understand Nihongo even if it's written using Romaji.
ColourWheelJun 1, 2023 2:48 PM
Jun 1, 2023 7:04 PM

Jan 2023
I personally don't mind either but English since it's easier to read

"You win this round. You doggies."
Jun 1, 2023 7:08 PM
John Titor

Jul 2017
That depends.

I prefer English for Tatami Galaxy, Witch from Mercury or Ghost in the Shell, for example. Among friends, however, we tend to use more Shingeki no Kyojin or Kimetsu no Yaiba than the English titles... English is not our first language, btw.
Mi música chiptune (auténtica, no fakebit) / My chiptune music (real, no fakebit)
YouTube
Battle of the Bits
SoundCloud
Jun 2, 2023 3:53 AM
Mar 2022
If it's more catchy, I don't care which one
Jun 2, 2023 4:39 AM

Jul 2021
I hate having to say attack on titan when I'm used to say snk just because some people might think I'm trying to flex big brains, even though we're all randos on internet to each others.

The only thing that puzzles me more than how is it even possible to delude oneself into thinking that scoring some smug points by using the japanese title is worth anything, is how people manage to end up thinking that's the reason others use japanese titles.
Jun 2, 2023 4:49 AM

Feb 2016
Like you said, I use whichever is easier.
Jun 2, 2023 3:12 PM

Dec 2020
English because more people will understand me when I mention them and they are just easier mos of the time.
"Those words are meant for those that dare defy god's final warning... An epigraph of their stubbornness"
- Maho Hiyajo (Steins;Gate 0)
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Skibidi toilet piece (One piece story but with skibidi toilet)

Cyborgium - 11 hours ago

17 by Cyborgium »»
27 seconds ago

» Attack on skibidi toilet (attack on Titan story but with skibidi toilet)

Cyborgium - 7 minutes ago

1 by SnipeStrike »»
43 seconds ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Yesterday

61 by Zenhashi »»
2 minutes ago

» is ur fave genre ur most watched genre ?

ame - Yesterday

21 by Zimmu »»
4 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

195 by TitanOfPlasma »»
4 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.