Forum Settings
Forums

have you ever been made fun of for liking anime?

New
Apr 11, 2021 2:01 PM

Dec 2018
and did you ever fight/talk back to whomever made fun of you??
*burps*  [font="\"Proxima Nova Regular\", \"Helvetica Neue\", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"][/font]
Apr 11, 2021 4:09 PM

Jan 2021
I've been the guy that made fun of one of my friends mercilessly about him liking anime, i was mostly influenced by that one filthyfrank vid, the weeb one.

now today he's the only one that knows i seriously watch anime, although my socially comptent friends have started watching few, its really hard pretending to not know what the hell they are talking about
smile B)
Apr 11, 2021 4:19 PM

Feb 2021
I had no need to tell anyone I watched anime, so no I haven’t.
Apr 11, 2021 4:23 PM

Oct 2020
my big sister (24)
says to stop watchin cartoons(anime)to me every time
and i laugh it off everytime
OBAMOS
Apr 11, 2021 4:23 PM
Jun 2014
Just don't be an obnoxious ass flaunting around that you watch anime and everyone will be okay with it. If they are a lil' interested in what it is, just recommend them Death Note or something.
Apr 11, 2021 4:24 PM

Apr 2017
hmmm yeah at school i think when i was around 14 (20now). it didn't bother me much. Back then anime fans were still rare so i stood out, nowadays everyone is watching it lmao. Anyway if you made this post because of personal reasons then i'll just go ahead and tell you to keep doing what you enjoy, in a healthy way ofc^^.
Apr 11, 2021 4:33 PM

Jan 2021
Maybe this is rare to find, but when I tell my friends that I like watching anime, they even want to watch it together with me.
Apr 11, 2021 4:35 PM

Dec 2015
Yes and no, I think I am pretty good at arguing with friends and people that try to harass me for the things I like and dislike.
Back in 2014, I showed one of my best friends "AoT" and he said you watch this shit? aren't you a little old for this or did your body develop and not your mind? I was shocked and said just yeah I like this stuff and it's cool. He just laughed and made fun of me. I told him he watched teen wolf and the flash and it is basically the same thing. (fictional characters). He didn't say anything after it.

But if someone tries to make fun of the things you like just be honest and say you like it because it makes you happy, emotional and etc. I started university last year and a decent amount of people that made fun of anime in front of other people actually watched anime and didn't admit it because they were afraid of getting bullied or having no friends... haha, It is funny that they wanted to adapt to someone else's liking instead of finding people that don't need you to adapt to accept you.

I'm level on mal-badges.
Apr 11, 2021 4:40 PM
Jan 2017
Where I live anime isn't all that mainstream yet sure lot people watch it but it isn't the go to form of entertainment pretty niche. So I'm 20 and when I was watching haikyuu my elder brother started randomly criticising it and asked if watching any of the 'japanese cartoons made for kids' give any intellectual values. So first I quickly opened Netflix and showed him all the age certifications for every anime and how it's all different and he seemed pretty in disbelief since this whe perception of animation=for kids reason. Then I asked him what's the most intellect/out of the box movie he likes in Hollywood and he came up with answers like inception,requim for a dream etc and I showed him how paprika inspired inception and even had some of the scenes ripped off and showed him how black swan and recquim for a dream have a lot of Satoshi kon influence in them. This put him in even more disbelief since this perception of Hollywood is the greatest and everyone else copies from Hollywood was basically put in the fucking mud. Loved the look on his face that day. Don't understand japanese animation koraaaa xD
Apr 11, 2021 4:40 PM

Jan 2020
I don't tell people that I watch and like anime

Apr 11, 2021 4:41 PM

Apr 2020
I haven't, because I also watch anime
Apr 11, 2021 4:43 PM

Apr 2021
The closest I've ever been to being made fun of for liking anime was one kid who was like 3 years younger than me saying that I'm an "anime boy". I usually don't tell people I watch anime, so that's the closest thing I've got so far.
Apr 11, 2021 4:45 PM

Jul 2020
Yeah but it's the internet so who cares
Apr 11, 2021 4:47 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
Probably, yeah.

Do I care if someone makes fun of me for what I'm into? No.
Apr 11, 2021 4:48 PM
Jan 2021
nah not really, not anything that springs to mind at least. If someone did openly say they dislike anime, then they're allowed their opinion, ye sure. I can question it and dispute their points, but I'm not too fussed personally. Most people I tell just say, ahhhh. That's cool, I'm not a fan/am fan. Especially as time progresses, it becomes more and more common for people to speak about anime in open forum as it's more socially accepted. People have many connotation when they think of "weebs" and such, but I would say I don't think I fit that stereotypical "norm" so maybe that plays into it too, either way it's watevs, they probably like cartoons anyhow :P
Apr 11, 2021 4:49 PM

Feb 2021
The answer is no.I never talk about my hobbies to someone else besides my family.
Apr 11, 2021 4:51 PM

Aug 2013
I have never been laughed at for watching anime, because nobody knows I watch anime. I also want to see anime in maximum comfort at home, not on the bus or train with headphones. Even if they catch me reading a webtoon during breaks & ask me what I'm reading, I just say it's a comic. "A Marvel one?", they ask, "YES", I answer. (/or "NO, it's DC")
Veteran Helldiver of SES Hammer of Dawn

When will Black Clover release new anime? It has been 3 years already since March 2021
Apr 11, 2021 4:53 PM

Nov 2015
No. people rejoice when they know i like the same thing as them. it's bonding.
Apr 11, 2021 4:54 PM

May 2020
Yes, some of my friends do make fun of me cause im watching anime but i either don't care or try to explain to them why anime is amazing which doesn't really seem to work
Apr 11, 2021 4:58 PM

Oct 2013
Nope. And that's due to a few reasons.

1. after a certain age, I wasn't that social of a person
2. the friends I did make also had at least some level of interest in anime themselves
3. I don't constantly walk around wearing anime merch
4. And the most important...I already openly mock my own interests , so there's nothing anyone can say I haven't said about myself.
Apr 11, 2021 5:09 PM

Mar 2021
The only time I was talking about anime was with other people who watched anime, so I can't say
I've been made fun of no.
Apr 11, 2021 5:11 PM

Jan 2020
No. I went to high school with all kinds of people, and it was actually cool to watch anime and different as a hobby. So no one got bullied for that. Even in college, I'm so open about watching whatever I like to watch because 1) I can and 2) I don't care about what people think, but I don't remember anyone saying anything whenever it got mentioned.
I sometimes forget to finish my sentences.
Apr 11, 2021 5:11 PM

Nov 2015
Have I been made fun of for liking anime? Yeah.
Did I fight back? No. I don't really care.
Apr 11, 2021 5:14 PM

Feb 2020
Uhhhmmm...not really I don't think? I got somebody friend me on PS4 and message me if I was a weeb (which I kinda am😅) but I just ignored him, plus I think he may have gotten banned. But other than that no not all.

I'm honestly more embarrassed being a trainspotter than an anime fan, although am brave enough to openly admit in on my page🤣
Apr 11, 2021 5:16 PM
Oct 2017
Cant be bullied for liking anime if no one knows that I like anime.
Apr 11, 2021 5:18 PM

Feb 2019
ye. in middle school, I deserved it. I wrote "weeaboo and proud" on my hand and shit
No watch list sig cuz "You watch anime in 3 days or 3 months! Such is the proper way!"
Apr 11, 2021 5:19 PM

Oct 2019
There were probably 3 people I knew who didnt like anime. They all would say weeb shit but one was more chill about saying it. The 2nd dude got into Dragonball but he still found anime to be weeb shit. And the third person straight up disliked anime. But, i never really cared too much for them. The chill one was fun to chat with in a group over the other 2.
"Perfection is perception. For me, humanity's imperfections is what makes it perfect"

Apr 11, 2021 5:20 PM
Jul 2018
Yeah many times. But I mostly ignore those kind of people.
Apr 11, 2021 5:21 PM

Apr 2020
no 90% of my school has seen as least naruto or something
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 11, 2021 5:27 PM
Jan 2015
One of my friends at the time who I was becoming more distant from anyway would make a big song and dance in front of others in our class about me watching "chinese/chinky shit". I don't think he really had a problem with the animated side of it just the fact it was Asian - so it was mostly racist really looking back.

A couple of our mutual friends who I introduced to it actually liked what they saw like Naruto and AoT so they would counter his negativity but I stopped being friends with him by naturally drifting apart anyway.
Apr 11, 2021 5:28 PM

Jul 2013
I wouldn't say it was to the level of "being made fun of", but there were a bit of teasing every now and then.

There's my boomer relatives whom I meet once every few years, who tend to imply something along the line of "you need to grow up and stop watching cartoon", to whom I never give any significance to.
Apr 11, 2021 5:29 PM

Aug 2016
Nah anime is pretty big where I live, and does anyone that actually matters really make fun of anyone for liking something? lol anyone that's making fun of someone for anime was going to just pick something else said person enjoys anyway to make fun of, that person was going to made fun of regardless of what they liked lmao.
Apr 11, 2021 5:32 PM

Feb 2021
Yeah as funny as it seems it happens to me a lot..
But I don't care whatever they think of me, those people never really mattered to me at all I've always adhered in a lone wolf lifestyle after all..
Apr 11, 2021 5:42 PM
Jul 2018
Ye back in high school but it was just fun and jokes, nothing serious.
Apr 11, 2021 7:54 PM

Feb 2021
Back in the day, liking anime was like liking boybands. It was such a taboo thing, and those who were open about it, were frowned upon. I was open about it and my peers did make fun of me because of it almost all the time, but I didn't care and kept liking what I liked.

Now that anime has become mainstream, those who made fun of me in the past, are eating their own words. Fuck them.
"Nobody could laugh at someone who's trying their hardest" -Machio-

Apr 11, 2021 7:58 PM
Jan 2012
My little sister would give me shit for it because every fucking time she passed by our room, the anime I'd be watching would just happen to have a female character make some kind of moaning noise, like when they get physically hit and make the most sultry fucking noise. I can't even fight against that, the timing was just so terrible that I couldn't make a retort.
Apr 11, 2021 8:05 PM
Jul 2017
Most of my friends are hardcore anime watchers so I really havent been made fun of so
Apr 12, 2021 7:22 AM

Dec 2018
Yuu_Kanzaki said:
Back in the day, liking anime was like liking boybands. It was such a taboo thing, and those who were open about it, were frowned upon. I was open about it and my peers did make fun of me because of it almost all the time, but I didn't care and kept liking what I liked.

Now that anime has become mainstream, those who made fun of me in the past, are eating their own words. Fuck them.

THIISSS. literally the people who shat on others for watching anime ended up getting into it eventually, thanks to tiktok lmao.
*burps*  [font="\"Proxima Nova Regular\", \"Helvetica Neue\", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"][/font]
Apr 12, 2021 11:11 AM

Aug 2018
i don't think so. they either don't care or don't know about anime.
Apr 12, 2021 11:45 AM

Feb 2020
Some of my friends got me into an anime, and pretty much all of them have some interest on it. Most people outside of them who realized that I watch anime are either indifferent to it or interested in trying it out.
Rest in Piece, Miura.
https://i.imgur.com/HzfqYqS.png

Apr 12, 2021 12:06 PM

Apr 2018
That's just school in the early 2010s and 2000s. Now it's cool to watch anime and play video games. Times have changed.
Apr 12, 2021 12:12 PM

Jun 2016
yeah, its the same people that now are crying over anime titties and criticising anime because it's directed toward gross otaku and they can't enjoy it.
Apr 12, 2021 12:18 PM

Mar 2020
Been made fun of a lot. I generally ignore people like that unless they get in my face about things. I don't care for the opinions of idiots, being made fun of isn't an issue for me, but I am aware of it happening and it can be annoying.
Apr 12, 2021 12:19 PM

Jul 2020
Lol when I said to my friend I watch anime he said you should've been born Japanese lmao.Funniest shit I've heard all day.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Apr 12, 2021 12:29 PM

Apr 2018
everyday lol, and no it's more of a friendly joke so no need to talk back
Apr 12, 2021 1:21 PM

Aug 2011
Not at all, my friends who aren't into anime are super open and chill with the fact I like anime. I used to be kinda ashamed of liking anime myself, but getting older I just don't give a f anime lmao I'm doing anime streams now on Twitch and have been having lots of fun introducing ppl who aren't into anime to series I watch.
desu desu binches
Apr 12, 2021 1:35 PM

Jan 2019
I used to hide the fact that I watched anime, and now watching anime started being cool so not really

More topics from this board

» Anime Clubs in College

Peach_Main - 9 hours ago

12 by traed »»
4 minutes ago

» Muskoku Tensei is the antithesis of Evangelion ( 1 2 )

ShuisBased2 - Jan 15

67 by Stygian_Prisoner »»
9 minutes ago

» What are your thoughts on harem anime?

BuddhaIsBetter - Today

46 by TitanOfPlasma »»
16 minutes ago

» Character explaining their own power to opponent is stupid, why do they do that?

Rinrinka - 11 hours ago

38 by Absurdo_N »»
22 minutes ago

» Anime and Time Management

LenRea - Yesterday

17 by Yuu_Kanzaki »»
38 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.