Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
86--EIGHTY-SIX (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Apr 11, 2021 5:12 AM
Jan 2021
They're talking so fast I'm not catching up with the subtitles. And even when I rewind the scene I feel still don't fully understand what they mean. Should I rewatch or things will get better or more clarfication later?
Apr 11, 2021 5:22 AM

Jun 2016
Elma_fer said:
They're talking so fast I'm not catching up with the subtitles. And even when I rewind the scene I feel still don't fully understand what they mean. Should I rewatch or things will get better or more clarfication later?
Elma_fer said:

take it easy... chill and relax... if you miss something just rewind... again and again until you understand just like reading...
Apr 11, 2021 5:35 AM

Oct 2018
Just pay a little more attention and rewind if you need to and you should be okay, all those terms and names were a bit confusing for me too since I am an anime-only as well but I was able to get most of it so you should be able to too.

And even if you don't get something, I don't think it would be too much of a problem as these things should come in the later episodes as well, I guess.

Apr 11, 2021 5:40 AM
Jul 2020
You can rewind some seconds back if you can't catch with subs. After some time your eyes will get used to it don't worry. I don't think missing one line or two will cause any major issues though...
Apr 11, 2021 5:44 AM

Jul 2017
It's kind of funny. A lot is thrown, but at the same time, not much was thrown in terms of actual exposition as the first volume at the start has SO MUCH exposition covering the world, the weapons, etc that you could even argue that the author did too much to build the world right from the getgo. Here, since it was clearly not feasible to adapt so much of that into this episode, the anime went for a more show than tell approach, showing the districts and kind of people who live there so we can interpret what's happening with our own eyes and brains rather than have a massive dump of info. It will leave some people confused for sure, but I feel like the anime did a good enough job in making the showcase of events seem a bit clear personally.
Apr 11, 2021 7:41 AM
Feb 2014
The thing with the episode is that it only adapts the 1st chapter of the novel, but mixes up the order of events being told a bit. Like how it cuts from Lena eating food and being assigned to the Spearhead Squad, to then go back in time to her commanding the 3rd Unit. Hell, the stuff in the final 3rd of the episode where we meet Shin is anime original and never actually shown in the book. Id say just try to rewatch the episode and keep close attention to these transitions.
Apr 11, 2021 7:44 AM
Feb 2014
animejas said:
It's kind of funny. A lot is thrown, but at the same time, not much was thrown in terms of actual exposition as the first volume at the start has SO MUCH exposition covering the world, the weapons, etc that you could even argue that the author did too much to build the world right from the getgo. Here, since it was clearly not feasible to adapt so much of that into this episode, the anime went for a more show than tell approach, showing the districts and kind of people who live there so we can interpret what's happening with our own eyes and brains rather than have a massive dump of info. It will leave some people confused for sure, but I feel like the anime did a good enough job in making the showcase of events seem a bit clear personally.

The reason the first few chapters are so exposition heavy is cause Volume 1 was originally a complete story. It was entered into a contest and the requirement was to have a conclusive ending (hence why the Epilogue is the way it is)
Apr 11, 2021 8:27 AM
Dec 2020
Your eyes are weak boy.
said the lolicon bastard
Apr 11, 2021 10:24 AM
Dec 2018
People should compliment the Anime with the light novels.
I like dub more than sub because I am not a weeb.
Apr 11, 2021 10:56 AM

Feb 2019
No it’s not? You may wanna stick to JJK and AoT if you think 86 too complex
Apr 11, 2021 11:42 AM
Jun 2020
If you're having trouble with a light novel adaptation, I can't imagine how well you're doing in literature class
Apr 11, 2021 1:15 PM

Apr 2016
tteoki said:
If you're having trouble with a light novel adaptation, I can't imagine how well you're doing in literature class

Well, let us not pretend that light novels actually are a part of the literature. They're more like a toilet magazines more than anything.
Apr 11, 2021 1:16 PM

Jan 2020
Light novel stuff is usually like this

Apr 11, 2021 2:21 PM
Jun 2020
Swagernator said:
tteoki said:

Well, let us not pretend that light novels actually are a part of the literature. They're more like a toilet magazines more than anything.

And if you can't even understand toilet magazines..... yikes
Apr 11, 2021 2:38 PM
Jan 2021
Stop shitting on my English skills people T-T. It hurts
Apr 11, 2021 4:53 PM
Apr 2021
i think this anime did a pretty good job telling us many things about the whole situation going on in this universe just in single dialogues. Most animes would probably just make a voice-over and tell the story of the world with flashbacks. But this anime chose to do it during the story, which i really liked, without any clasic flashbacks. I agree that it was too fast tho, but you see that most of the information we are given is related to the plot of the series, like they call people at 86 “Processors” and the ones that demand them are called (probably, my apologies if i remember wrong) “Holders”. They also indirectly inform us about the fact that the public doesn’t even know about the existence of the 86. district. However, again, i do agree that the information might be too much for a single episode. They could just save it for the next episodes since it’s kinda hard to catch. But ngl it personally interests me how they want us to connect the dots; like they didn’t directly told us that this man’s dying sound we hear during the battle we see at the beginning of the episode are actually the sounds of the previous “Holder” which died due to paranormal (?) activities. We had to connect the dots ourselves, which actually entertained me.
Apr 11, 2021 5:07 PM
May 2015
Talking too fast? Lol wut? I didn't even have a hard time following the subtitles but if you consider this "too fast" then you haven't seen an anime called "Occultic;Nine". The characters in those show dead ass talk way too fast and you will have a hard time following the subtitles from that show.

Anyways, while I was able to follow almost everything the characters said, there were several terms that they threw around like "Handler", "Para-RAID", "Processors" and "Spearheads", where I just felt completely lost. I have a slight idea on what the terms meant based on what I was seeing during the scene in which they were used, but they're all just my speculations and I don't think they were explained in this episode at all. I'm guessing they're going to explain those terms in the future episodes.

jc9622Apr 11, 2021 5:11 PM

Apr 11, 2021 5:08 PM

Jul 2017
Idk which subs you are watching from but i had no problems and even felt like it could be faster.
Apr 11, 2021 5:58 PM

Feb 2011
There were a few unfamiliar terms and phrases here and there, but all I needed to do for those was pause and look it up. As for visuals, definitely deserves a re-watch from start to finish. A lot of attention to detail was put into the first episode: the device being thrown on the ground, red text for "DESTROYED" drone status, the updating bar on the computer, Lena's reactions to meals, the drawings of previous Handlers crossed out, the person who wrote how many days they had left of service, how Lena is depicted as a pig princess after her first comm etc... The list goes on. For starters, pay attention to dates as each scene transitions. The start is a bit confusing till you realize the one who they're talking about at breakfast is the same Handler. I'm re-watching every episode if they keep the quality this good.
ReloadApr 11, 2021 6:14 PM
Give me at least 5 minutes to modify my post before quoting me. (refreshing page advised)
Apr 11, 2021 6:16 PM
Jul 2009
Elma_fer said:

Just ignore the elitism and gatekeeping. People that act like that probably don't have fully developed prefrontal cortexes.

If you're having difficulties, I think the best bet is to simply pause the video rather than trying to rewind and re-watch scenes. There's a few moments in the show where there's multiple sentences on screen referencing Handlers, etc. Specifically, I think as long as you pay attention to what each proper noun refers to things will make a bit more sense. As for if it will get easier - I imagine it will as the show progresses and terms, etc. are used and re-used.
Apr 11, 2021 6:32 PM
Dec 2018
Swagernator said:
tteoki said:

I don't disagree that Light Novel prose are simple in general. Though, there are some like The Saga of Tanya the Evil that has prose that rivals modern literature.
I like dub more than sub because I am not a weeb.
Apr 11, 2021 7:03 PM
Jan 2021
Kakkoi-Kun said:
Elma_fer said:

Just ignore the elitism and gatekeeping. People that act like that probably don't have fully developed prefrontal cortexes.

If you're having difficulties, I think the best bet is to simply pause the video rather than trying to rewind and re-watch scenes. There's a few moments in the show where there's multiple sentences on screen referencing Handlers, etc. Specifically, I think as long as you pay attention to what each proper noun refers to things will make a bit more sense. As for if it will get easier - I imagine it will as the show progresses and terms, etc. are used and re-used.

I have read the detailed breakdown of the episode the other guy mentioned above and apparently I wasn't missing anything of great value. Turns out I'm just overthinking the situation that's all :p... Thanks for the advice nonetheless.
Apr 11, 2021 8:38 PM
Jul 2019
I think they did well explaining most stuff that we should now now, but if you are confused, the synopsis of this anime here on its MAL page does clear things up nicely about the setting.
Apr 18, 2021 4:37 AM

Aug 2016
I-TECi said:
Elma_fer said:
Elma_fer said:

take it easy... chill and relax... if you miss something just rewind... again and again until you understand just like reading...

nope. you have to explain things properly. if you cant, then your episode sucks.
:v
Apr 18, 2021 10:46 PM
Sep 2018
I think it's not that much actually, the information given is a lot but it come slowly with the duration and if you ask me that's kind of build will likely have quite amazing ending. Considering how fast the flow escalation of code geass for me personally 86 it's mere child. It's come in a price tho, for those who's have experience in story writing or those who's have ability to analyze the flow of story they might be kinda knows what happen next. But let just hope the director have a good skill to deliver the heavy material of 86.
Apr 19, 2021 5:13 AM

Mar 2020
I don't think there was that much info if you're talking about episode 2 and most of the stuff that was said you can easily figure out on your own from the first episode

More topics from this board

Poll: » 86 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 5, 2021

458 by LotteGiants »»
Apr 16, 8:40 AM

Poll: » 86 Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 10, 2021

380 by LotteGiants »»
Apr 14, 10:42 PM

Poll: » 86 Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2021

430 by grizmuth »»
Apr 5, 5:57 PM

» 86 LN starts its Final Arc with the next Light Novel volume 14.

darksideee - Jan 11

24 by SSRSyt »»
Apr 3, 10:22 PM

Poll: » 86 Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 17, 2021

259 by ILLARX »»
Apr 2, 12:00 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.