Forum Settings
Forums

The anime community's weird obsession with ratings

New
Apr 10, 2021 10:53 PM

Jun 2015
Everyday it feels like I see these threads people talking about ratings/scores. I get that it's a thing within pretty much every community that deals with consuming media, but the point I want to make is that it shouldn't be that way.

I do believe ratings have a place on sites like these as it's a good way of keeping track of what you thought about a show, however, the only ratings that should ever matter to you is your own rating of something. You can never get a full scope of any show by only looking at the public score, so letting yourself become too influenced by other people's ratings is just going to turn you off from shows which could've become potential favorites.

πŸ’– 𝐼'𝓂 π’½π’Άπ“Žπ’Ήπ‘’π“ƒβ£ πŸ’–

⋆ Λšο½‘β‹†ΰ­¨ΰ­§Λš πŸ’ π’―π“Œπ’Ύπ“‰π“‰π‘’π“‡ πŸ’ π’΄π‘œπ“Šπ’―π“Šπ’·π‘’ πŸ’ Λšΰ­¨ΰ­§β‹†ο½‘Λš ⋆
πŸ’ π‘€π“ŽπΉπ’Ύπ‘”π“Šπ“‡π‘’π’žπ‘œπ“π“π‘’π’Έπ“‰π’Ύπ‘œπ“ƒ πŸ’
Apr 10, 2021 10:57 PM

Jan 2020
Yep. Some people here will never learn

Apr 10, 2021 10:59 PM
Jul 2017
That is basically what toxic fanbases will never learn
Apr 10, 2021 11:03 PM

Jul 2020
Back in the days mal was all about tracking and rating your favorite anime but now it is all about arguing about your top anime,ratings,overrated,elitism,making countless threads of "WiLl AoT bEaT fMaB"??,etc,etc,calling someone out for having shit taste and many more I forgot to mention.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Apr 10, 2021 11:16 PM

Jun 2016
Some have suggested that this is caused by users who lack confidence in their own taste lashing out at those who don't affirm it, and it's becoming a more believable take every day.
Apr 11, 2021 1:49 AM

Feb 2019
It's the same reason you might see a middle-aged man buy a muscle car.

They want it to have a big number because something else isn't big at all.
Well I for one already loved Lain.
Apr 11, 2021 1:57 AM
Dec 2020
When I ask people to check out my list they usually say stuff like my opinion on them is all that matters which I already know. I ask only because I’m interested in learning what other people think of the shows I’ve watched. They never influence what I think of a show and it’s the same for how they feel. People do tend to get salty when talking about ratings though which is annoying.
Apr 11, 2021 2:12 AM

Sep 2018
I like to think that ratings do have a meaning, it's just more complex than "high score = good" and "low score = bad". Sometimes this is true, some others things like recency bias, sequel bias and controversies may have a significant impact on the score.

Then, of course, the fight between AoT and FMAB for the first place is pointless; hopefully AoT S4P2 will put the nail on the coffin (in favour of FMAB, I mean).
Apr 11, 2021 2:28 AM

Jan 2019
Jujutsu Kaisen score is the primary example why we shouldn't take any score seriously.

Looking for better series than Re:Zero
Apr 11, 2021 2:28 AM

Jun 2012
They're probably the easiest thing to bring up without the fear of exposing your cursory understanding of a given series.
Apr 11, 2021 2:31 AM

Nov 2016
I rarely see anyone arguing about an anime's score outside of this website so I think it's more of a mal thing than an anime community's at large.
Apr 11, 2021 2:32 AM

Mar 2019
Some people i mean me are not that good at ratings.I only give it a 3 4 or 5 if i hate the anime or manga so much. Other are 6 or 7 if they are ok. If i enjoyed it so much ill give it a 9 or 8. Yea wait im not that bad actually

nvm who cares give what you wanna give.
Apr 11, 2021 2:35 AM

May 2020
i guess this forum is for u to justify for u crap taste i guess lol
Apr 11, 2021 2:38 AM

Aug 2020
The higher the score the more it appeals to the majority, which means I am more likely to like a show rated 9 than a show rated 7. So ofcourse fans want their favourites to be rated higher. As for who should be rated #1 that's just dumb shit

You can never get a full scope of a show looking at anything about a show, that could be a review,a synopsis or ratings. But the probability that you'll like a show is higher if the ratings are high which is why "public ratings" are also important
01001110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01100111 01101111 01101110 01101110 01100001 00100000 01100111 01101001 01110110 01100101 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01110101 01110000
Apr 11, 2021 2:44 AM
Jan 2012
It honestly wouldn't bother me that much if we didn't get thread after thread after thread talking about this shit. I don't understand how these fandoms came to assume those of us not associated with any of them give a fuck about all this dumb shit that they decided to involve themselves with.

It's like being a Kindergarten teacher seeing his class forming factions and saying "that faction shit their pants!!!" "that faction shit their pants first!!!", like who cares you're all children that shit your pants, literally everyone outside of this hates all of you.
Apr 11, 2021 2:56 AM
Jul 2018
Personally, I think people should just rate anime based on their own personal feelings about the show. That's the most objective way of rating in my opinion. You can't really assume how other people are going to like the show based on your own personal criteria. People have their own individual ways of rating anime.
Apr 11, 2021 2:58 AM

Mar 2020
Some people are too attached to numbers honestly.
Apr 11, 2021 4:10 AM

Jan 2021
Ah I see, you are calling out the legend, the myth, none other than those fucking shounentards.
Apr 11, 2021 4:16 AM

Dec 2020
The biggest problem is that many ratings are blindly accepted without the awareness of whether it is an anime affected by some controversy or commercial issue. Especially people who do not know much or those who are new to the site.

Outside of that, I don't attach much importance to grades. Sometimes I even want to see an anime with a low rating just because the plot caught my attention or I want to see something lighter.
Apr 11, 2021 6:36 AM
Dec 2017
I honestly completely can't stand these rating/ranking wars at all whatsoever and i see this happen alot with the shonentards indeed.

Apr 11, 2021 6:47 AM

Apr 2017
Okeanix said:
Jujutsu Kaisen score is the primary example why we shouldn't take any score seriously.

true because it should be 9+.. char limit
Apr 11, 2021 9:51 AM
Dec 2017
Judevin said:
Some people are too attached to numbers honestly.

Some? more like the majortiy of people on this site.

Apr 11, 2021 9:54 AM
May 2020
One wise man once said
"Girlfriends are temporal,
but downvoting enthusiasts are eternal."
Apr 11, 2021 9:55 AM
Jul 2018
yea dude, like there is one shanasuna guy who called me a troll and a bit for giving aot a high score and other shitty classics a low score(who are actually shitty imo) and keeps telling me i haven't even watched half of the anime in my list. idk why they are so obsessed by me.

and the smashblack dude who keeps making threads about some shitty rating stuff.
Apr 11, 2021 9:59 AM

Apr 2021
The whole point of watching anime is kinda ruined when you just follow what everyone else rates an anime.
Apr 11, 2021 10:02 AM

Jun 2019
The bloodbath fights over the top anime list will never make sense to me.

Look, I love FMA:B. It was cool when I first got on the site to see that it was #1, but that was it. It could drop to #200 tomorrow and it would have zero effect on me.

Just give the show the number that you think represents how you feel about it and move on. Maybe have some talks about how your number is different from someone else's, and why that is. Don't worship the number.
Apr 11, 2021 10:03 AM

Dec 2018
username1218 said:
yea dude, like there is one shanasuna guy who called me a troll and a bit for giving aot a high score and other shitty classics a low score(who are actually shitty imo) and keeps telling me i haven't even watched half of the anime in my list. idk why they are so obsessed by me.

and the smashblack dude who keeps making threads about some shitty rating stuff.

@username1218, if you're going to talk shit about users in pub threads, at least have the guts to tag them @Smashblack

For anyone that's interested (I know most of you aren't, but just in case), here's some context behind the assertions made by @username1218
Basically he got flamed by me two days ago (see below) for rating almost every single classic anime with 1s and 2s so over the course of 2 days, he changed the ratings of ~20 anime series (or more) and then started some rating argument with @Smashblack

ShanAsuna said:
username1218 said:

ah yes, the famous jjk fanboy. ur gonna hate me now aren't ya? u should give jjk a 10 already. ik u have made 30 threads praising its every aspect and saying why its different from other shonens. nobody will call u a fanboy unless u trash ppl's taste for liking it but u r already recognized as one after all of ur activities. also i haven't added many of other animes in my list that i like and plan to give an 8 or 9 so u should stop calling me an attention seeking weirdo.

1. Can't be a fanboy if I'm not a boy.
2. Please share those "30" threads you speak of... I'm pretty sure I made like one or two at most. But please, you're welcome to prove me wrong by showing proof, instead of talking out of your ass.
3. " nobody will call u a fanboy unless u trash ppl's taste for liking it " => what even? If I'm a "fanboy", why would I trash fellow fans for liking it? Logic please?
4. Oh really? You have other entries you didn't enter? I'm sure that'll balance out eventually . . . given that you have 272 entries with a mean score of 2.91, with almost 70% of your listed anime rated 3 and below. You just need another 200 more animes rated 8 and above to balance it out.

Now let's look at your list:

(i) You rated Death Note, Rurouni Kenshin, every Hayao Miyazaki movie, LGOH, Code Geass, Angel Beats, Toradora, Hotarubi no Mori e, Gintama, Tokyo Ghoul, Steins; Gate, Kimi no Na Wa, Yuri on Ice, KnY, Mushoku Tensei ... (just to name a few)... with ONES.

(ii) Then you rated Wonder Egg Priority, Fate/Stay Night UBW, Jujutsu Kaisen, Noragami, Mob Psycho with TWOS.

(iii) You also rated Sennen Jouyou, Ping Pong, Shinsekai Yori, Psycho-Pass with THREES.

(iv) Then, you rated Fate/Kaleid Prisma Ilya a 10.

Honestly, I don't even have to make fun of you any further. You are already a joke.
Apr 11, 2021 10:04 AM

Sep 2020
Hmm...Totally agreed, but that's human nature can't be helped.

β—½β—½β—½

α“šα˜α—’

β—½β—½β—½

Having lived through trauma and mind-fucking, I'm accustomed to it now.

Apr 11, 2021 10:08 AM

May 2020
Scarestone said:

im confused, the ratings are there for us to rate and of course ppl can criticize u since ur list is made public. isnt tht fun? we can discuss on certain anime that other ppl rate and make fun of them as a friendly joke because it highly base on opinion
Apr 11, 2021 10:08 AM
Demon Venerable

Apr 2018
haydenluvsanime said:
Everyday it feels like I see these threads people talking about ratings/scores. I get that it's a thing within pretty much every community that deals with consuming media, but the point I want to make is that it shouldn't be that way.

I do believe ratings have a place on sites like these as it's a good way of keeping track of what you thought about a show, however, the only ratings that should ever matter to you is your own rating of something. You can never get a full scope of any show by only looking at the public score, so letting yourself become too influenced by other people's ratings is just going to turn you off from shows which could've become potential favorites.

The truth has been spoken ^^. My list and my scores are for myself. I don't even use 1-5 ratings, because I won't comeback to anything that was worse than 6. ^^
Apr 11, 2021 10:18 AM

Sep 2020
Natsude_tanaka said:
Scarestone said:

im confused, the ratings are there for us to rate and of course ppl can criticize u since ur list is made public. isnt tht fun? we can discuss on certain anime that other ppl rate and make fun of them as a friendly joke because it highly base on opinion

You are right but most of the friendly jokes become offensive, I mean I saw many discussions in which most of them just disrespect others and show themselves like they are supreme or something in giving ratings.

β—½β—½β—½

α“šα˜α—’

β—½β—½β—½

Having lived through trauma and mind-fucking, I'm accustomed to it now.

Apr 11, 2021 10:19 AM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
I feel like people fail to understand there's a reason why shows have the scores they do. Yet, just cause some users can go in depth and validate their stance on why X or Y anime shouldn't be rated as high, does not mean that they're actually right.

Not to say that the opinions of the ones who do go in-depth are invalid, but, in another case, it doesn't devalue the opinion of someone who doesn't give an in depth reason as to why said anime deserves such a score.

People take scores way to seriously when they should just generally take it at face value and accept that, if a show has a high or low score, then that means it's good or bad for a reason, regardless of their actual stance on it.

Imo I guess a lot of users just have this big ego that they think they know what's actually good or not when in reality none of it matters at the end of the day.

What only matters is that you enjoy what you watch (for whatever the reason may be) and that's it, bottom line.
Apr 11, 2021 10:25 AM

May 2020
Scarestone said:
Natsude_tanaka said:

You are right but most of the friendly jokes become offensive, I mean I saw many discussions in which most of them just disrespect others and show themselves like they are supreme or something in giving ratings.

thats the fun part, two weebs talking crap at each other over an anime,isnt that funny? hahahahha
Apr 11, 2021 10:25 AM

Jul 2019
General ratings are important, they are a general consensus as to what people like and not like, useful for things like finding generally good anime. Personal ratings are the least important ratings, little to no one should care about these unless you are searching for someone with similar tastes to your own, which has its benefits.

Reviews here lost major importance ever since downvotes got removed. So scores on those make little sense at times. But serve purpose sometimes.

We could go into the philosophy of why ratings are the dumbest thing on earth, but I am sure no one will care about that.
Apr 12, 2021 2:34 PM

Aug 2014
That is true, Anime fans are obsessed with scoring/rating in general. Just look at websites that rates Cinema or Gaming. Films and Games i mean, the Weebs there will be the one that care the most about this, they will attack, create alts, abuse the system to boost their favorites, I guess the weeb mentality is that bad. LOL.

More topics from this board

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst

EastIndiaCompany - Yesterday

27 by Zarutaku »»
11 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

186 by Zarutaku »»
14 minutes ago

Poll: » What is your most common reason for rewatching anime?

MeanMrMusician - Apr 22

24 by M_MASTER »»
17 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men?

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

49 by BatoKusanagi »»
31 minutes ago

» Isekai anime are better than any other genre.

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 20

48 by BatoKusanagi »»
46 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.