Forum Settings
Forums

What's an anime that you couldn't take seriously to the point were it became an unintentional comedy?

New
Apr 10, 2021 7:42 PM

Oct 2018
The title says it all.

For me that anime is Kakegurui. That anime is so fucking stupid that I am convinced it is meant to be a comedy at heart. From the ridiculous facial expressions to the gamble situations that make no sense. I was laughing my ass off the entire time I was watching that show XD.
Adimus_primeApr 10, 2021 8:15 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 10, 2021 7:47 PM

Mar 2020
Boku no Hero Academia

The anime is so cliche that at some point I started thinking it is a "Shounen parody" and is showing how dumb the shounen tropes really are. I still find it absolutely hilarious, and I genuinely can't bring myself to take it seriously anymore.
Apr 10, 2021 7:54 PM
Jul 2018
JJBA, I saw so many plotholes in part 2 and 3 but shoved them off as 'bizzare'. I couldn't take it seriously at the end of pt2
JJBA is still very fun to watch tho.
Apr 10, 2021 8:10 PM

Jul 2012
I feel like cheating for saying Gibiate but seriously... I never laughed so much at an anime that wasn't meant to be a comedy. How it wanted us to care for its characters' deaths, the changes in the opening, the "plot twist" at the end... It really had me rolling, like when I watch The Room.
Apr 10, 2021 8:11 PM

May 2020
I couldn't take any episode of Japan Sinks 2020 seriously every 5 minutes something "serious" would happen that just made me laugh.

The funniest parts were when

and

Apr 10, 2021 8:13 PM

Apr 2020
Karakuri Circus https://myanimelist.net/anime.php?id=37447

Every few minutes I asked myself question's like...

"Why would that happen?"
"Why is he doing that?"
"What?...What is happening?"
"Why? That makes no sense at all"
Apr 10, 2021 8:19 PM
Jul 2017
Code Geass has been giving me abridged YouTube parody vibes 5 episodes in, lol.
Apr 10, 2021 8:24 PM
Dec 2017
school days and chaos head were just so bad it made me laugh.

Apr 10, 2021 8:30 PM

Dec 2018
AoT, ch 139 was so bad it made last 50 chapters worthless and ruind everything that happened within them. I ended up wasting 3 years of my life for this shit manga/anime.

The final Chapter assassinated every fucking charecter (development wise and what they stood for). It really became a peak comedy.
LANARp-0470Apr 10, 2021 8:59 PM
Apr 10, 2021 8:35 PM

Apr 2018
Redo of Healer, simply because I'd laugh at the absurdity of the scenarios, laugh at the fact Im watching it, then laugh about the fact that somebody actually made such a thing and that it didnt get cancelled by Twitter.

Truly one of the greatest watched of my life.
BurnMyBread00Apr 10, 2021 8:51 PM
Apr 10, 2021 8:41 PM
Jan 2021
How not to summon a demon lord
The misfit of the demon king academy
Apr 10, 2021 8:48 PM
Jan 2012
I'm surprised no one has said Ousama Game/King's Game yet. A girl gets set on fire, but then she barely even reacts and then starts expositing while on a laptop while she's still on fire, how the fuck was this not intentionally a comedy?!
Apr 10, 2021 8:54 PM

Apr 2020
Kai Byoui Ramune, in fact it was comedy but the most funny scenes were serious ones
Apr 10, 2021 9:10 PM

Jul 2017
FranXX is peak comedy no matter how hard it tries not to be. Don't know how that shit was made seriously lol.

Apr 10, 2021 9:15 PM

Dec 2019
People have already said BNHA and King's Game so I'm gonna bring some new stuff to the table.
Calamity of the Zombie Girl. It's honestly one of the strangest OVA's I've watched. I'm surprised it isn't labeled as comedy, some of the shit that goes on is ridiculous.
https://myanimelist.net/anime/37735/

Hakubo. This short film is one of the worst I've seen. It's so bad that at one point I stopped taking it seriously and just laughed my way through to not get bored.
https://myanimelist.net/anime/34972/

Ichi The Killer: Episode 0. This anime is so bad it's hilarious. It's absolutely freakin crazy.
https://myanimelist.net/anime/2346/

Maid Meshimase. I've said it before and I'll say it again, this hentai is a fucking masterpiece. I feel like the people who animated this were high one day and one guy thought "Yo guys we should make a hentai" and everyone else just thought "fuck it why not lmao" and created this glorious animated work of art a day later.
https://myanimelist.net/anime/5402/
Apr 10, 2021 9:19 PM

Aug 2019
I think I laughed at a good amount of scenes in Re:Zero that were supposed to be taken seriously
Apr 10, 2021 9:23 PM
Jul 2020
My Sister, My Writer. I watched this only because I wanted to see what an anime rated so low was like, and it just became funny because of how cliche and bad it was.
My Sister, My Writer
Apr 10, 2021 9:25 PM

Jan 2020
I would agree with kakegurui. Some parts were seriously dumb

Apr 10, 2021 9:27 PM

Jul 2020
my favorite dumb romance domestic girlfriend lol
Apr 10, 2021 9:30 PM

Apr 2018
Fairy Tail. I don't know why the villains even exist in that anime. Most part is fan service and forced comedy.๐Ÿ˜‘
แฑจแฑšแฑก แฑ แฑคแฑจแฑšแฑฑ แฑฅแฑšแฑฑแฑ แฑšแฑจ : ๐‘€“๐‘€ธ๐‘€“ ๐‘€˜๐‘‚๐‘€ฑ๐‘†๐‘€๐‘€ธ, ๐‘€ฉ๐‘€“๐‘„ ๐‘€ฅ๐‘†๐‘€ฌ๐‘€ธ๐‘€ฆ๐‘€, ๐‘€ฒ๐‘†๐‘€ฏ๐‘€ธ๐‘€ฆ ๐‘€ฆ๐‘€บ๐‘€ค๐‘†๐‘€ญ๐‘€ธ ๐‘€ข๐‘€ฃ๐‘ƒ๐‘€ฏ ๐‘€˜ ๐‘‡ ๐‘€…๐‘€ฎ๐‘†๐‘€ง๐‘€ณ๐‘€ธ๐‘€ญ๐‘€ป, ๐‘€•๐‘€พ๐‘€ณ๐‘€ข๐‘†๐‘€ฌ๐‘€ธ๐‘€•๐‘€ป, ๐‘€ฏ๐‘€บ๐‘€ค๐‘†๐‘€ฌ๐‘€ธ๐‘€ญ๐‘†๐‘€ฃ๐‘€ป ๐‘€ง๐‘€๐‘€˜ ๐‘€ฎ๐‘€“๐‘†๐‘€ฑ๐‘€ก๐‘€ ๐‘ˆ
๐‘€ฅ๐‘€ญ๐‘†๐‘€ซ๐‘„_๐‘€ญ๐‘€“๐‘†๐‘€ฑ๐‘€ข๐‘€บ_๐‘€ญ ๐‘€“๐‘†๐‘€ฑ๐‘€บ๐‘€ขเคƒ
Apr 10, 2021 9:40 PM

Jul 2020
Anyone cannot forget the monstrous cgi in Black clover in "The dungeon exploration arc" right?I was laughing my ass off the whole time when the story was supposed to be serious.It's still my favorite arc no cap.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Apr 10, 2021 9:46 PM
Jul 2018
The first one to come to mind was Japan Sinks 2020. Its voice acting, the stuff that happened in the story, and the visuals were so bad I couldn't hold in my laughter.
Apr 10, 2021 9:53 PM

Jun 2016
So basicially campy anime that seemed to not be trying to be campy? Those are nice to stumble into. I've seen a few that did that sort of thing for me.
  • Aldnoah.Zero 2nd Season ~ Goes from being a mediocre mecha in season 1 to an absolute meme where inanimate objects develop better than actual characters and a random last-minute dude named Count Crouton or something like that becomes an 80's action hero as a C-plot while the rest of the story just collapses into a black hole.
  • Anohana ~ Maybe a hot take, but it's hilarious if you're paying attention to the plot instead of crying on-cue with Menma (who our cast of idiots struggle to accept the existence of for what, 7/11 of the anime?) I don't get how Yukiatsu's forest sprints didn't become a big meme.
  • Deen Stay/Night ~ Between the slapdash art quality and the "original" portions like the CGI dragon it was way easier to laugh at this than stay mad at it for being an awful adaptation.
  • Mirai Nikki ~ Strikes just the right balance between going too far over-the-top and attempting (and failing miserably) to be grounded and mature. Comedy gold smelted in a dumpster fire.
OnionKnightRises said:
I'm surprised no one has said Ousama Game/King's Game yet. A girl gets set on fire, but then she barely even reacts and then starts expositing while on a laptop while she's still on fire, how the fuck was this not intentionally a comedy?!

Thanks for reminding me about that, I remember hearing that it's some real F-grade trash. If I ever get around to bingeing trash for fun I'll have to consider it.

snowykevin said:
I think I laughed at a good amount of scenes in Re:Zero that were supposed to be taken seriously

Same, I wish it happened more often though, maybe I would have enjoyed it a lot more if that were the case.
Apr 10, 2021 9:57 PM

Oct 2018
TK8878 said:
Mirai Nikki ~ Strikes just the right balance between going too far over-the-top and attempting (and failing miserably) to be grounded and mature. Comedy gold smelted in a dumpster fire.
I agree with Mirai Nikki that is probably my number 1 so bad it is good anime.
Apr 10, 2021 9:57 PM
Twincool~

Oct 2018
Happy Sugar Life and Mahou Shoujo Site. Both are under the horror genre but were so over the top and ridiculous I couldn't help but laugh.
Apr 10, 2021 10:05 PM

Nov 2020
How nobody said SAO lol,ok i will haha, Sword Art Online, funny dumb anime

Apr 10, 2021 10:14 PM

Sep 2019
Another was more of a comedy than a horror anime, gave me quite a few good laughs.
Apr 10, 2021 10:29 PM

Jul 2020
School days for sure!!! 100 percent!

MoreNoise said:
Another was more of a comedy than a horror anime, gave me quite a few good laughs.

This is also a true statement. I laughed too

Mod Note: Merged consecutive posts
dipItFooApr 17, 2021 11:20 PM
Apr 10, 2021 10:38 PM

Feb 2014
Attack on Titan. All those overly dramatic shots and shouting and screaming, like something out of a telenovela or Indian soap opera, killed any and all tension and made every serious and death scene an unintentional parody of itself.
Apr 10, 2021 10:45 PM

Sep 2014
Ingenate said:
MoreNoise said:

This is also a true statement. I laughed too

Of course. It's actually a comedy anime. You were expected to laugh.
Apr 10, 2021 10:46 PM

Nov 2019
im pretty sure that misfits of demon king academy is a straight up parody no matter what anyone tells me,there is no way i take that shit seriously
Apr 10, 2021 10:57 PM
Aug 2020
I think that I would have to say arifureta
Apr 11, 2021 7:17 AM

May 2020
mirai nikki is the funniest anime there is in that aspect. if you use your brain for 5 seconds it gets hilarious
I said with a posed look
Apr 11, 2021 7:29 AM

Feb 2016
This Korean bootleg, “Black Star & Golden Bat.”
https://myanimelist.net/reviews.php?id=206220
“It only takes around six minutes before Golden Bat actually makes first his appearance in the film for some further nonsense. Aside from his ridiculous character design the members of the mafia show their fear by doing some sort of invisible orgy from what I could interpret from the animation. You got one mafioso thrusting the air, and another mafioso thrusting the floor repeatedly. This leads into a badly animated action scene where Golden Bat wins easily. After stripping the mafia down to their underwear, and leaving one of them a red Bat on their chest Golden Bat leaves the scene. So why did Golden Bat go to the hideout of the mafia if it wasn’t to retrieve the blueprints is never explained. Well, Golden Bat is did strip down several mafioso down to their underwear so he had a plan of some sort that wasn’t aimed at kids (the film intended demographic).”
ใใฎ็›ฎใ ใ‚Œใฎ็›ฎ๏ผŸ
Apr 11, 2021 7:34 AM

Oct 2017
Adimus_prime said:
The title says it all.

For me that anime is Kakegurui. That anime is so fucking stupid that I am convinced it is meant to be a comedy at heart. From the ridiculous facial expressions to the gamble situations that make no sense. I was laughing my ass off the entire time I was watching that show XD.

Wasn't that the point of kakegurui or am I missing something?????????

Answering the question, ex-arm.
Apr 11, 2021 7:43 AM

Oct 2010
lots:
under the dog - at least it was just a random project
araburu kisetsu no otome domo yo - the romance stuff was hilarious, sugawara-shi is the best friend a girl could have
sac 2045 - hilarious take on the famous franchise
allison to lillia - you can't even comprehend the weirdness, snow stops bullets
so ra no wo to - girl wants to pee but can't and we see her trial for 20 minutes
aldnoah zero - loli driving car but can't see in front
shoujo tachi wa kouya wo mezasu - glasses girl invents an AI for her boat but can't program an eroge
lu no uta - this is on another level of comedy
hisone to masotan - I have no words to describe it
revisions - no words
aru zombie shoujo - no words
promare - it was just bad like almost all trigger shows
Apr 11, 2021 7:46 AM

May 2020
Rent a girlfriend imo. It was really a fun watch to me.
But,some people overthink too much about its characters and plot.
Apr 11, 2021 7:58 AM

Oct 2019
Ex-Arm had me dying from the awful amazing animation and CG.
Apr 11, 2021 10:29 AM
Dec 2019
Redo of Healer

Never tought I would laugh at someone getting raped but... Holy shit that was funny
Apr 11, 2021 10:40 AM

Oct 2020
DALING IN THE FRANXX

everything was cringe as fuck but i say it was decent
OBAMOS
Apr 11, 2021 10:42 AM
May 2018
LOL EVERY SHONEN EVER SO MUCH COMEDY AND NO SERIOUSNESS
Apr 11, 2021 10:45 AM

Feb 2021
Asterisk War, SwordGai, Revisions. They’re all equally awful at trying to be serious,
but the biggest one of all is Vampire Knight.
Apr 11, 2021 10:47 AM

Dec 2019
Definitely Jojo. I'm only on Part3 season 2 and the writing is unimpressive, but everything is so over the top that it's honestly really funny. Idk if it's unintentional though.
Apr 11, 2021 10:53 AM

Aug 2020
Dark Cat
Heart no Kuni no Alice: Wonderful Wonder World
Seoul-yeok
Suki ni Naru Sono Shunkan wo.: Kokuhaku Jikkou Iinkai
Uchiage Hanabi
Uta noโ˜†Prince-samaโ™ช Movie: Maji Love Kingdom
Zuori Qing Kong
Zutto Mae kara Suki deshita.: Kokuhaku Jikkou Iinkai

Apr 11, 2021 10:54 AM

Apr 2017
Another
Mirai Nikki
Elfen Lied
Ito Junji collection
Charlotte
Guilty Crown
Tokyo Ghoul
Yakusoku no Neverland S2
Anohana
Darling in the Franxx
Your lie in April
cunnysseur
Apr 13, 2021 3:17 PM

Nov 2019
Another was a downhill ride from ep 3. But I still didn't expect the last two episodes to be so utterly ridiculous.
And of course ex-arm lol

Apr 17, 2021 7:07 PM

Mar 2016
The one part of JoJo I actually managed to sit through. I have no idea what the appeal of this series is to be honest; people say it's supposed to be campy, stupid, and badass, but the end of part 1 to me seemed like it was trying so desperately to be epic and serious, I was thinking if people actually found this funny, it was entirely unintentional.

The series is a joke in and of itself by how awful its writing generally is, but was this a retcon, ala Tommy Wiseau's The Room? Where he later came out and called it a comedy because his attempts at drama failed so hard?

Because I get a lot of retcon vibes regarding JoJo. It's such a terrible series, but I remember even making a friend watch an episode with me as I was progressing, solely because I had to make sure I wasn't going crazy and this was as laughably bad as I thought it was.
Life can be cruel and unfair. At worst it can traumatize and cripple you. The desire for wanting things to return to the way they were can cost everything and changes nothing. The best way is to keep moving forward, struggle on.
Anger can be powerful but can only get you so far. Let people into your life even if some of them leave you in time.

Fight. Like. Hell. For everything and everyone you love. Always.
Apr 18, 2021 9:08 PM

Apr 2017
Valvrape, School Days.

I literally laughed hysterically at the ending of the latter.
There's no inherent right or wrong in this universe, but when we think with emotions rather than logic, we make things so.
Apr 19, 2021 1:16 AM

Sep 2020
There's a reason why the anime is called Jojoke...

If you're having crippling depression, hopefully our videos will send you to another world and have you reborn as an isekai protagonist
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc8rSgYdcdZUSXXqVJhNwLw
Apr 19, 2021 11:54 AM

Nov 2020
The misfit of demon king academy. Mans is so op and the show takes it so seriously. He literally spits out lines like, just because you killed me, do you really think ill die.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Does being an anime fan make you proud or embarassed?

BuddhaIsBetter - 3 hours ago

13 by Zarutaku »»
2 seconds ago

Poll: » Best kind of relationship in anime?

IpreferEcchi - 6 hours ago

10 by Mishiia »»
26 seconds ago

Poll: » How much do you consume from the otaku world?

castle2001 - 9 hours ago

23 by Ricchan__ »»
8 minutes ago

» โ„๏ธ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

161 by Adnash »»
20 minutes ago

Poll: » slut vs prude waifus

deg - Yesterday

31 by LightWorker »»
25 minutes ago
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.