Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 9, 2021 10:25 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This gave me somewhat of a melancholic feel for the first episode. Not impressed by the character designs/models but it has a somewhat elegant charm.

There's quite a personality contrast between Ruka and Hiori but I think can take time to develop their relationship. There's supernatural elements as expected from this show as well. Not a bad episode but it's going to have to improve.
Apr 9, 2021 11:18 AM

Jul 2015
Seems like a generic magical girl anime with lot of potential for yuri bait.
Meh...

Apr 9, 2021 11:22 AM

Jul 2017
Here we go, a 2-cour game adaptation. Such confidence to keep this running for 6 months.

I thank the heavens that game-to-anime adaptations like these don't have lots of characters, and as such with central leads Ruka Hanari and Hiori Hirahira. The focus of having less characters is better suited because who the hell cares for many side characters.

The stark contrast in personality between both Ruka and Hiori: the introverted, introspective girl, and the bubbly, sociable girl, though it can already be presumed that through the rings they possess, that would improve their relationship as time progresses.

Obviously, they would try to show the melancholic side of things for a start, because the original game is anything but sweet tones when it comes to the action parts.

A fine start to a hell of a long ride for this ambitious project.
Apr 9, 2021 11:57 AM
Mar 2016
It was okay. The world seemed interesting and the majority of the plot components in play are generic enough that I feel like the outcomes are obvious, but 26 episodes is more than long enough to through something surprising in there. We'll see how it goes.
Apr 9, 2021 12:01 PM

Feb 2019
Holy shit man. This episode started slow, but once it got going it really got fucking going. The art and OST are amazing. It’s been a while since we got a really competent Mahou Shojo, in fact I was just working on a podcast episode about the decline of the genre. this has potential. It’s two cour as well so pacing issues shouldn’t be a big issue like usual game adaptations. Excited.
Apr 9, 2021 12:10 PM
Apr 2021
does this anime has anything to do with blue reflection game? because i enjoyed game story more!! hinako is my favourite characters !! cant believe they didnt adapt game story instead..bit of let down tbh..
Apr 9, 2021 12:23 PM

Nov 2016
I wasn't a fan of the tone shifts that came with the transitions, but surprisingly decent enough to try at least a few more episodes.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 9, 2021 12:34 PM

Jan 2014
Interesting start and first episode. Lot to take in, and lot to look forward to.
Apr 9, 2021 1:02 PM
May 2016
Miokurusu123 said:
does this anime has anything to do with blue reflection game? because i enjoyed game story more!! hinako is my favourite characters !! cant believe they didnt adapt game story instead..bit of let down tbh..

indirect sequel. my guess is this more to get people into the IP but didn't want to adapt the game. frankly i think it's the better move since game adaptations tend to be bad.

on that note we seem to have a really strong concept. i didn't expect them to go with "what if a reflector loses?" as it's main selling point but i admit it's an interesting choice. though i hope this doesn't stray too much from what made the game so charming; shameless sincerity.
DadothedogApr 9, 2021 1:08 PM
Apr 9, 2021 1:03 PM

Jul 2017
Not the worst premiere of the season and there is a bit of effort shown with the aesthetics, but wasn't blown away by much either. Felt bored. Maybe it's just the genre, but I've just failed to really be excited by this whole genre for a very long time now that's it stone cold and stale now.
Apr 9, 2021 1:06 PM

Feb 2019
This is not based on the RPG of the same name(s), but intended as a spinoff or part of the same world/franchise, not that I played the game in the first place, although like TWEWY, it's kind of funny that we're just ignoring the game elements when so many other things won't shut the hell up about them. It's a bit hard to get behind the protagonist here, a socially awkward girl with no friends who has a hard time talking to people, when she's paired up with a manic pixie girl who instantly loves her, fawns all over her, and drags her into interacting with her and with other people. Even moreso when she starts getting upset at the pixie girl for daring to interact with and show consideration for other people. How can anybody just… you know… show empathy for or an interest in others? The gall.

I'd much rather be following the story of girl Peter Parker, struggling motorbike enthusiast and part time magical girl. Hell, even the pixie girl shows some hints of being haunted by a previous failure on her own part and desire to change, although here, it's largely demonstrated as "checks on crying girl" and "doesn't sit there and watch unconscious girl fall off building to her death." We're not aiming very high. I think there is some promise here, but whereas a show like Wonder Egg had its protagonist fight to develop and grow with some slick action and trippy visuals, this only really hits on the visuals department. It very badly needs to deliver the action promised in the OP, as well as developing this absolute sad sack of a main protagonist into someone I actually want to succeed, and not just tormented by the general angst of being alive and having generalized anxiety about that.
Apr 9, 2021 1:08 PM
Apr 2020
This had same as ASSAULT LILY ring type transformation... Which i love it.

The fighting ground art and design was so awesome.

Also it has SHOUJO AI vibes in it.
Apr 9, 2021 1:28 PM

Aug 2020
I've got no clue what's going on, I'll probably drop this soon.
Apr 9, 2021 1:50 PM
Nov 2019
I didn't really get drawn into the story. There was no guidance on what's going on. Was the first fight in the past, present or future? Meh so far and needs to pick up soon if they want an audience for 24 episodes.
Nov 2019
I wish WEP had got this sort of commitment - 2 cour's of game based Shoujo AI.

definite Assault Lily Yuribait vibes.

Am I bad for hoping they'd let the girl go splat on the floor rather than pulling a distinctly average magical girl transformation and saving her ass.

I'll give it the 3 Ep. drop test.

3/5 for now - could do a lot better, but I've already dropped worse this season.

Sep 2019
I hate the artstyle and character designs. I got bored watching this episode. It wouldn't count as dropping if I stop watching it now... right?
Apr 9, 2021 2:36 PM

Nov 2016
finally an anime of all girls with action, has strong yuri vibes <3
Apr 9, 2021 2:43 PM

Dec 2014
I played the game and it sounds like we're just sharing the setting and concept since all the characters and the story style seem different.

I thought it was an okay episode, nothing particularly clicked for me but I'll stick around to see what becomes of it.
Apr 9, 2021 2:59 PM

May 2011
The yuri bait is gonna be big with this one.I didn't like the first episode,but since this show has 24 eps total,I'll give it some more time.
''I was dead serious''

Apr 9, 2021 3:20 PM

Jul 2010
This seems okay so far. Not a fan with the weird shading on the characters' skin, but I am curious to see where this goes.
Apr 9, 2021 3:39 PM

Apr 2012
penrhos said:
I wish WEP had got this sort of commitment - 2 cour's of game based Shoujo AI.

definite Assault Lily Yuribait vibes.

Am I bad for hoping they'd let the girl go splat on the floor rather than pulling a distinctly average magical girl transformation and saving her ass.

I'll give it the 3 Ep. drop test.

3/5 for now - could do a lot better, but I've already dropped worse this season.

Neither the original game nor the franchise itself was ever yuri or yuri bait. It's okay if you find it gay-ish or shippy, but don't confuse fanon with actual canon.

@KANLen09 The authors obviously have ambitions for this, but I absolutely cannot understand why it looks so poorly animated. Altier and BF have always sold well, so it doesn't seem like they had a budget issue.
Apr 9, 2021 4:17 PM

Apr 2013
Great 1st episode. I'm a fan of Blue Reflection game. This is a original story, but Lime and Yuzu (from the game) appeared at beging in a scene, then I guess it's in the same universe of the game, but with another characters. In the game there only Reflectors and Sephiras, these "red reflectors" are a new thing.

Also, a great OST as expected. The game has one of most memorable OST from all games I ever played.

Btw, Luka reminds me from Lulua (Atelier Lulua).
Apr 9, 2021 4:28 PM
Mar 2020
Whoa. Netzach! And yuzu and Lime are here!
Apr 9, 2021 4:54 PM
Jun 2019
I think this animation style would look better with more action scenes... hope we get more of them. Overall, pretty basic, but I think it has potential
Apr 9, 2021 4:55 PM

Jun 2017
I am not familiar with the game at all but it seems interesting. It was a very slow paced start but looks like it will pick up steam bit by bit.

So what I got so far blue ring=good guys, red ring=bad guys? And maybe there is some sort of time travel or alternate reality shenanigans going on?

Character coloring is rather weird but I'll get used to it I guess.
Apr 9, 2021 5:13 PM
Jan 2021
I'm actually surprised that this series are being developed by exactly the same studio who were worked on WIXOSS anime back in the days, both selector arcs and lostorage arcs
Which was my all time favs on my list ☺️

Also, this whole thing with the red reflectors thingy are definitely a brand new addition though. Which is great actually because it would've been boring if its just about reflectors vs sephiras
Jensen52Apr 9, 2021 5:18 PM
Apr 9, 2021 5:14 PM
May 2011
This was rough. Sticking with it for the yuri-bait
Apr 9, 2021 5:27 PM
Mar 2021
I liked the first episode. The differences between the two girls and the way these powers haven't been explained yet will keep me watching for now
Apr 9, 2021 5:34 PM

Jan 2012
Mgilbert32 said:
I'm actually surprised that this series are being developed by exactly the same studio who were worked on WIXOSS anime back in the days, both selector arcs and lostorage arcs

Also, this whole thing with the red reflectors thingy are definitely a brand new addition though. Which is great actually because it would've been boring if its just about reflectors vs sephiras

It really feels more like Wixoss S5 mixed with Blue Reflection to be this new story. Which is awesome. Especially the crazy red reflection girl.

And not whatever Wixoss Diva was. This is likely why they didnt work on that.
Apr 9, 2021 6:39 PM

Dec 2018
Anime! I don't wanna hear the word boyfriend in my Yuri! I'm going to be very nice here and pretend that was a translating error and she actually said girlfriend. I prefer pure Yuri's they suit my taste much better

Except for that it was awesome . My little angels was all over each other and Yuri symbols was everywhere. Ruka and Hiori was flirting like crazy and literally lay on top on each other,,,YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES! Hehehehe lesbian lying on top on other lesbian I fucking love It.

And I like the pink/red villains. I hope they are going to force kiss another girl or two later in

Also love the animation and character design

Even the End had strong Yuri vibes and my lesbians almost kissed...YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES

God it was so good
Yuri-CrusaderApr 9, 2021 6:50 PM
Apr 9, 2021 6:41 PM
Playing Violet

Jun 2017
It feels like a strange mix between Hand Shakers and Madoka and I love it~!<3 X'3>
Apr 9, 2021 6:43 PM
Jan 2021
sanlei said:
Mgilbert32 said:

It really feels more like Wixoss S5 mixed with Blue Reflection to be this new story. Which is awesome. Especially the crazy red reflection girl.

Same thought here ☺️
Apr 9, 2021 6:58 PM

Nov 2018
It was dull and I didn't like the art. I don't drop many shows, but this might be one...
Apr 9, 2021 8:22 PM

Jan 2011
never finished Blue Reflection since the combat was kinda bad and story not all that interesting but i loved the Music and its the only thing i remember about it.

this was kinda boring and i really hate the shading it looks like the classic ps ff7 menus but i'll give it a go a bit more the twist bad magical girls compared game could go somewhere
Apr 9, 2021 8:27 PM

Dec 2020
dont understand a single thing on what i just watched. idt ill ever grow into it so ill just drop it now. it seemed pretty interesting tho
Apr 9, 2021 8:48 PM

Jan 2021
looks a little bit like assault lily
Apr 9, 2021 8:56 PM

Mar 2019
This could be better and at the same time worse...

Need to watch 2 more episodes... to continue/drop...

Nostalgic & Weird..

PS: Kyuubey are u there?
Nyan-Pasu!... [ Ara Ara ] [ Waifus ]
Apr 9, 2021 10:18 PM
Dec 2020
this is pretty good for a first episode! the character designes are pretty but it’s not impressive. i feel like theres gonna be some yurification to this hh other than that i’m rlly rlly looking forward to this series, the story got me hooked
Apr 9, 2021 10:42 PM
Aug 2019
This somehow gave me a feeling of an old magical girl anime. Maybe it's the style lol But I like magical girls, so gonna watch this!
Apr 10, 2021 12:44 AM
Jul 2018
having kinda mixed feelings towards this, i found the drama and stuff decent but the magical elements seemed a bit sketchy. production looks quite good as well, liked the artsyle and character designs a lot and ost is great, hopefully it turns out well, dont get why the rating is so low so far.
Apr 10, 2021 1:46 AM
Apr 2020
A magical girls anime huh. Haven't watched one in a long time...

This really gives me vibes of WEP. The fight scenes and weapons are a little bit of a same. The character designs are really unique and not that bad, as what ppl said.

Overall a first good impression for me. Will see how far will the plot and the anime goes with a whopping 24 straight episodes
Apr 10, 2021 2:26 AM

Dec 2015
I need more information about

HOW YUZU AND LIME ARE "ALIVE" AGAIN.

The only thing we can know is that this anime is before Hina fights Daath, and perhaps her choice to choose humanity has caused this immense amount of Reflectors and also the Range Leap.
Apr 10, 2021 2:41 AM
Jan 2018
Massive fan of the game. Just finished watching the first episode.

I can safely say that someone who isn't thoroughly familiar with the game is going to have no clue what is happening for basically that whole episode. It really doesn't explain anything and is difficult to follow. Even as a huge fan, I was struggling to understand everything going on. It doesn't even introduce the characters.

I was pretty hyped going in and while I'm going to keep watching, this first episode has definitely made me more skeptical. They really need to just slow down and like explain literally anything. I'd like to know who literally anyone is? How is the world the way it is? Why are there people fighting each other? What the hell is going on with Hiori and/or her sister? Where even are we? How are Yuzu/Lime shown? Etc. I don't doubt they can answer these questions, but I really hope they do so sooner rather than later... It kind of makes me wish they'd have found a better writer/director for this.

Also, fyi to everyone mentioning yuri. The original Blue Reflection had no yuri, so I wouldn't get your hopes up. While there might be some bait here or something, there's no good reason to really think so.
Apr 10, 2021 6:29 AM

Oct 2008
i watched this only because of Shiena Nishizawa...
3/5.

Apr 10, 2021 6:56 AM

Sep 2008
well that was probably the worst looking anime I've seen. worse than 3d kanojo. I'm kind of interested but the art truly hurts my eyes.
馬鹿げた倫理 全部ガラクタで
Apr 10, 2021 7:10 AM

Nov 2013
WINX? This u? lmao
Apr 10, 2021 7:18 AM

Mar 2018
I remember I played this game raw on PS Vita quite some time ago. Probably because my Japanese wasn't that good at that time, I forgot most details and didn't enjoy it very much. Only vaguely remember it was kinda similar to Persona games but not as good with all girls cast. Now I watched anime episode 1 without knowing much and realized it's a different story from the game with different characters (altho I swear I saw two main girls from the game at a glance at the beginning so it might be retconned to the game). Kinda surprised at it getting 2-cour too. First episode is nothing to write home about but not unwatchable so let's see how it goes.

Apr 10, 2021 9:53 AM

Dec 2013
It has some old school vibes and I'm a sucker for barriers thanks to Madoka, now add some Yuri and it has my attention.
Apr 10, 2021 10:57 AM

Aug 2020
Piromysl said:
Seems like a generic magical girl anime with lot of potential for yuri bait.
Meh...

I agree with that and this gonna be hype as for yuri fans like me, Is not really bad ima still watching this that's yuri stuffs really caught my attention somehow is really interesting thou.
AhrumApr 10, 2021 11:09 AM

Apr 10, 2021 1:18 PM
Apr 2020
Not horrible but not amazing, very slow and boring
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Blue Reflection Ray Episode 24 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 24, 2021

35 by yhagni »»
Oct 19, 2023 3:10 AM

Poll: » Blue Reflection Ray Episode 2 Discussion

Stark700 - Apr 16, 2021

35 by SakiKano »»
Jul 10, 2023 4:03 PM

Poll: » Blue Reflection Ray Episode 23 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 17, 2021

21 by WolfTK01 »»
Jul 10, 2023 3:51 PM

Poll: » Blue Reflection Ray Episode 22 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 10, 2021

49 by WolfTK01 »»
Jul 10, 2023 3:50 PM

Poll: » Blue Reflection Ray Episode 21 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 3, 2021

14 by WolfTK01 »»
Jul 10, 2023 3:50 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.