Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
So I'm a Spider, So What? (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Apr 14, 2021 8:21 PM
Jan 2021
duhu1148 said:
Recent episodes have been better outside of the battles (which are still dull and predictable). The plot and world-building are shaping up nicely. But man...the spider protagonist is just so damn annoying. I'd bump the score of this show by an additional 2 points if I could swap her personality for something else.

Battles dull and predictable? I think you must be thinking of another anime.

If not, describe for me the next battle.
Apr 14, 2021 8:25 PM
Dec 2017
duhu1148 said:
Recent episodes have been better outside of the battles (which are still dull and predictable). The plot and world-building are shaping up nicely. But man...the spider protagonist is just so damn annoying. I'd bump the score of this show by an additional 2 points if I could swap her personality for something else.

tbf it seems that not being able to shut up is her cope method for not being able to talk with anyone.
Let's just pray that that change in the near future.
Apr 15, 2021 12:30 AM
Jan 2017
Generous servings of gratuitous English "not hungry spider" 草.

The last scene got me a bit worried, let us hope there is no NTR.
Apr 15, 2021 2:47 AM

Jul 2009
Abredon said:
duhu1148 said:

She'll kill her mom, level up and/or evolve, and at some point either during or after the fight (where something stronger shows up) it will look like she'll die or is in some kind of peril. But by virtue of being the protagonist she's not in any real danger.

The same, tired formula that this series has used for it's fights since episode one- kill monster >level up> repeat. And in fairness, a great many other shows have this problem too.

linkhuesitos said:
duhu1148 said:

tbf it seems that not being able to shut up is her cope method for not being able to talk with anyone.
It's just the character quirk that bothers me. This being her method of cope doesn't make it less annoying, imo.
Apr 15, 2021 6:24 AM
May 2018
Amazing! New OP is great, so much foreshadowing without really stating anything, and the ED is OK too.
Things aren't looking good for Schlain. He seems still hesitant about the whole hero thing, but that's understandable. Looking forward to how it goes.
On Kumoko's side, she totally didn't destroy a fortress guarding the entrance of the labyrinth, nope, wasn't her... xD
Fight with her siblings was great.

duhu1148 said:

The same, tired formula that this series has used for it's fights since episode one- kill monster >level up> repeat. And in fairness, a great many other shows have this problem too.

You're not wrong, but it's a little more complicated than that.

MC kills monsters that threaten her life. Killing gives EXP. She levels up. That's just the natural way of things. But every new enemy fights differently, and so she has to come up with new ways to fight, and that is what makes the battles interesting. How will she handle every new threat, and how her enemies will handle her incredible power.

I think the strategies she's been using so far might or might not necessarily be useful in future fights. She'll probably have to keep training/learning.
DannXApr 15, 2021 6:32 AM
Apr 15, 2021 7:57 AM
Feb 2021
duhu1148 said:
Abredon said:

She'll kill her mom, level up and/or evolve, and at some point either during or after the fight (where something stronger shows up) it will look like she'll die or is in some kind of peril. But by virtue of being the protagonist she's not in any real danger.

linkhuesitos said:

It's just the character quirk that bothers me. This being her method of cope doesn't make it less annoying, imo.

I see where you're going, but take this point, do you expect a weak being to survive in that kind of world, I'd probably no, there some beings that might, but not every being has that kind of choice. With that out of the way, the next option is being the opposite of weak, be a predator, now, if you say repeating the process is a problem, I'd say it is a solution, repeating the same action in real life will let you refine it, how you train your gaming skills? You repeatedly play and have more experience to know and understand mechanics that may make you better. This is applied here, repeating the action of killing monsters is refining your skills as a predator. Also I'd say the fights aren't always 1v1.
But that is just a point, I see your frustation.
Also, I don't see why you don't like personality, I think it fits the character, could you perhaps give me an example of a better personality
Apr 15, 2021 10:12 AM

Jul 2009
DannX said:
Amazing! New OP is great, so much foreshadowing without really stating anything, and the ED is OK too.
Things aren't looking good for Schlain. He seems still hesitant about the whole hero thing, but that's understandable. Looking forward to how it goes.
On Kumoko's side, she totally didn't destroy a fortress guarding the entrance of the labyrinth, nope, wasn't her... xD
Fight with her siblings was great.

duhu1148 said:

You're not wrong, but it's a little more complicated than that.

MC kills monsters that threaten her life. Killing gives EXP. She levels up. That's just the natural way of things. But every new enemy fights differently, and so she has to come up with new ways to fight, and that is what makes the battles interesting. How will she handle every new threat, and how her enemies will handle her incredible power.

I think the strategies she's been using so far might or might not necessarily be useful in future fights. She'll probably have to keep training/learning.
Honestly the thing keeping me invested in this series despite the dislike of Kumo and the battles is the world building. I think the potential down the line for her interactions and influence on the world could be something special, similar to the reasons why I loved Overlord. So happy we're finally out of that stupid dungeon.

MtsTrapengz said:

Also, I don't see why you don't like personality, I think it fits the character, could you perhaps give me an example of a better personality
It's not that the personality doesn't make sense or fit the character. It's just the character type itself I don't like. She talks way to much (i.e. a "chatty cathy") and is way sillier than I'd like her to be.

But this is all personal taste, nothing wrong with liking that type. Just not for me.
BStrifeSword114Apr 15, 2021 10:19 AM
Apr 15, 2021 10:43 AM
Jan 2021
duhu1148 said:
Abredon said:

You're wrong.
First:

A great many shows have the formula of the protagonist not dying in mid-story battles?
Try pretty much EVERY story/show/script EVER WRITTEN!
You CANNOT write a story that kills the Protagonist before the resolution.
By definition, any such protagonist ISN'T the protagonist. Hamlet wins every fight until the end of the play. If Hamlet died in the middle, he wouldn't have been the protagonist.

So you are saying that ALL battles in ALL stories are boring because you know that the protagonist won't die (the protagonist could be crippled and in bed for 3 years, but not dead).

You DIDN'T describe whether Kumoko would win or lose.
You DIDN'T describe what skills or innovative use of terrain/skills/etc. She would use.

You are ALSO wrong in that a lot of battles don't show her in peril - the fight in episode 13 was one - she was never at risk of dying(the tatatects can't teleport), only of not winning.

The Anime DID skip a lot of similar fights where she simply overpowered enemies to level. They weren't necessary to the plot.
It ALSO skipped an important early fight, where she was left half dead for weeks hiding under a rock in Araba's cave recovering very slowly.

And,
Apr 15, 2021 11:09 AM

Jul 2009
Color me shocked that I touched a nerve...

Abredon said:

You're wrong.
First:

Will she fight her at some point soon? Yes or no.
Will her mother die? Yes or no.
Will someone/something stronger show up? Yes or no.
Will she level up/gain skills/evolve? Yes or no.

A great many shows have the formula of the protagonist not dying in mid-story battles?
Yes. I don't know what your vague definition of "pretty much" is supposed to amount to, but there are exceptions. Regardless, most of these type of things are terrible in general, in part for that reason.

In any case, it's not the predictability itself that I necessarily hate; it's how needlessly dragged out it's been. I didn't need to watch 13 episodes of her "struggling" to kill monsters and leveling up endlessly. Get her into the real world so that she may influence and interact with it. That's what I'm interested in. To hell with these mindless level-up battles.

It's happened before in various forms of media but this is moot. I think you misunderstand what I was getting at.

Caps lock count: 3

By definition, any such protagonist ISN'T the protagonist. Hamlet wins every fight until the end of the play. If Hamlet died in the middle, he wouldn't have been the protagonist.
You clearly don't understand what a protagonist is.

So you are saying that ALL battles in ALL stories are boring because you know that the protagonist won't die (the protagonist could be crippled and in bed for 3 years, but not dead).
This is again false, as there are exceptions. But in general I find most battles boring, yes.

However neither did you ask me what I found dull about it; you only asked what I found predictable. The two are not entirely synonymous.

Caps lock count: 6

Her mom's gonna eat her and we're getting a new protagonist?

Holy shit, my respect for this series is about to shoot through the roof.

You DIDN'T describe what skills or innovative use of terrain/skills/etc. She would use.
Who cares? She could fart in her mom's face, shoot rainbow lasers or summon a pony. None of these would make me care about the fighting any more than how little I care now.

Caps lock count: 8

You are ALSO wrong in that a lot of battles don't show her in peril - the fight in episode 13 was one - she was never at risk of dying(the tatatects can't teleport), only of not winning.
Still not relevant.

The Anime DID skip a lot of similar fights where she simply overpowered enemies to level. They weren't necessary to the plot.
It ALSO skipped an important early fight, where she was left half dead for weeks hiding under a rock in Araba's cave recovering very slowly.
Okay...

And,
She'll be brought back, so who cares. It might as well not happen.

I think you missed the point. I pointed out the predictability of it since you asked, but that on it's own isn't what made it dull. The fights are incessantly dragged out way too long and it's the same damn thing every time, with zero effect on anything other than herself. They have no relevance to the outside world. It's just endless killing things and leveling up and getting skills and evolving. 13 episodes of this now. I have hopes that's about to change though.

You want to know what the best fight by far in this series was? Kumo vs the human mage (Rendant or something) and his companions. Because it's finally an interaction with the outside world and giving us at least a small glimpse of something that could be relevant down the line to other characters, the overall plot, and the world at large.

Also 11 uses of Caps lock dude? Take a chill pill. You can like or dislike whatever you want to. It's not the big deal you're making it out to be.
BStrifeSword114Apr 15, 2021 11:16 AM
Apr 15, 2021 11:27 AM
Jan 2021
duhu1148 said:

Abredon said:

You're wrong.
First:

Will she fight her at some point? Yes or no.

Yes. I don't know what your vague definition of "pretty much" is supposed to amount to, but there are exceptions. Regardless, most of these type of things are terrible in general, in part for that reason.

In any case, it's not the predictability itself that I necessarily hate; it's how needlessly dragged out it's been. I didn't need to watch 13 episodes of her "struggling" to kill monsters and leveling up endlessly. Get her into the real world so that she may influence and interact with it. That's what I'm interested in. To hell with these mindless level-up battles.

It's happened before in various forms of media but this is moot. I think you misunderstand what I was getting at.

This is again false, as there are exceptions. But in general I find most battles boring, yes.

However neither did you ask me what I found dull about it; you only asked what I found predictable. The two are not entirely synonymous.

Who cares? She could fart in her mom's face, shoot rainbow lasers or summon a pony. None of these would make me care about the fighting any more than how little I care now.

Still not relevant.

Okay...

And,

I think you missed the point. I pointed out the predictability of it since you asked, but that on it's own isn't what made it dull. The fights are incessantly dragged out way too long and it's the same damn thing every time, with zero effect on anything other than herself. They have no relevance to the outside world. It's just endless killing things and leveling up and getting skills and evolving. 13 episodes of this now. I have hopes that's about to change though.

You want to know what the best fight by far in this series was? Kumo vs the human mage (Rendant or something) and his companions. Because it's finally an interaction with the outside world and giving us at least a small glimpse of something that could be relevant down the line to other characters and the world at large.

Also 11 uses of Caps lock dude? Take a chill pill.

Name a single story where the protagonist dies before the resolution without being replaced by another protagonist.
There are stories with multiple protagonists, but they are rare, and there is always a protagonist in play.

I asked you to describe the next fight (since it's so predictable, you must know how the fight proceeds, who is winning at each stage, and who ends up winning the fight. Note that a loser of a fight can live).
You stated a fight that is foreshadowed and looks inevitable, but which will not be the next fight.
You then stated a couple of common threads of many of Kumoko's fights, but gave no description

To be fair, I don't know whether the next fight in the anime will be on the human or Kumoko side. I don't know if the anime will skip some of the next fights on Kumoko's side, but I do know that there is more going on in those fights than you realize. These fights will have future consequences .

I understand you don't want to see the RPG grind, but it is a significant part of the story.
You probably also don't care about the skills and the System, which also are a significant part of the story.
You probably don't bother asking:
1. Who created the System?
2. Why are certain skills there?
3. Why do some skills have a cryptic description?
4. What do I, MA, and W mean?
5. Who is narrating the skill gains?
6. Why are some skills essentially useless or traps?
7. Why is our protagonist nameless?

These are all questions that arise during/because of these "boring" fights.
Apr 15, 2021 4:09 PM
Feb 2021
Abredon said:
duhu1148 said:

Will she fight her at some point? Yes or no.

Still not relevant.

Okay...

You want to know what the best fight by far in this series was? Kumo vs the human mage (Rendant or something) and his companions. Because it's finally an interaction with the outside world and giving us at least a small glimpse of something that could be relevant down the line to other characters and the world at large.

Also 11 uses of Caps lock dude? Take a chill pill.

Name a single story where the protagonist dies before the resolution without being replaced by another protagonist.
There are stories with multiple protagonists, but they are rare, and there is always a protagonist in play.

I asked you to describe the next fight (since it's so predictable, you must know how the fight proceeds, who is winning at each stage, and who ends up winning the fight. Note that a loser of a fight can live).
You stated a fight that is foreshadowed and looks inevitable, but which will not be the next fight.
You then stated a couple of common threads of many of Kumoko's fights, but gave no description

To be fair, I don't know whether the next fight in the anime will be on the human or Kumoko side. I don't know if the anime will skip some of the next fights on Kumoko's side, but I do know that there is more going on in those fights than you realize. These fights will have future consequences .

I understand you don't want to see the RPG grind, but it is a significant part of the story.
You probably also don't care about the skills and the System, which also are a significant part of the story.
You probably don't bother asking:
1. Who created the System?
2. Why are certain skills there?
3. Why do some skills have a cryptic description?
4. What do I, MA, and W mean?
5. Who is narrating the skill gains?
6. Why are some skills essentially useless or traps?
7. Why is our protagonist nameless?

These are all questions that arise during/because of these "boring" fights.

At this point you're debating how the anime itself works? I can't quite follow at this point. Feeling lost reading both of your posts.
I do understand both sides though, I can guess pretty much where the conversation is going, without really understanding it.

Apart from that, those are some interesting questions indeed, Being "Why is our protagonist nameless?" the one I found the most interesting. I'm truly imagining every possibilty that turns out interesting.

Also a discussion I want to add here if both of you don't mind, do you think the CGI is doing justice to the anime?
I think it does, most CGI looks crappy and doesn't flow enough, I don't find that to be the case in this anime.

I do think we all can agree on something else though, the world building is marvelous and it also has a huge amount of interesting outcomes.
I do look more into the spiders evolutions though, seeing as an Arachne is a possibility, I can see the interaction between her and human world.
Don't you think this is a great outcome?
Apr 19, 2021 10:56 AM

Jul 2009
With this episodes finish, the survival arc has ended and the story has begun!!
Kumoko's survival arc that leads up to her leaving the labyrinth has more to do with surviving than living in the world.

Give your ticket to the man at the gate and hop in to your seat! This roller coaster is going to take you through some loops!
kyled00mApr 19, 2021 11:19 AM
May 21, 2021 6:03 PM

Dec 2013
I'm loving the new opening. Although it does spoil that the MC won't eventually become the demon lord like the previous episode implied.

I feel like Potimas and Dustin are going to become major players later in this series. They both already seem really dubious.

Dumping the spider monsters into the middle sanctum was a clever idea.
May 26, 2021 10:25 AM

Jan 2014
I was wondering, why Leston call the teacher by her previous name instead of Filimos? I thought only those who reincarnated know their previous name. Am I missing something here?
May 28, 2021 3:22 AM

Feb 2020
Abyhape said:
I was wondering, why Leston call the teacher by her previous name instead of Filimos? I thought only those who reincarnated know their previous name. Am I missing something here?

From his perspective he's just following how the "kids" call each other. They all also believe "Shun" is just a nickname for "Schlain", while it was his actual given name from the previous life.
Jun 23, 2021 8:17 PM
Oct 2019
that kid's brother is a traitor, huh?

i hope that jackass prince kid who had his power stripped by the elf teacher gets his ass beat again at some point. he needs to die

not sure how those giant spiders got out of the caves if momma spider can't get out of the caves (also, spider girl didn't want to listen to mommy and go back to the cave so in order to kill the spiders that mommy spider sent after spider girl, spider girls teleports them all --- back to the cave...ugh). but interesting to see the spider girl's hive mind splintering into different components... seems to confirm my theory
HagePotPotatoJun 23, 2021 8:40 PM
Sep 17, 2021 10:02 AM

Jul 2015
Kumoko is in her rebellious teen phase its seems, only thing is she isn't a teen but a spider and also murders and eats her siblings, but still rebellious towards Mother.

Apr 1, 2022 8:07 AM
Jul 2018
The way his siblings coming for Kumoko to get her back to the labrynth is funny.

Also, wow I hope the parallel minds will be able to come back.
Jun 24, 2023 9:35 AM
May 2023
It's Amazing, also i think it's very underappreciated i mean i suppose people don't think that i would be great cause of the whole spider thing BUT YOUR WRONG its one of my favourite anime out there and I'm really begging for a season 2 which i don't often feel that way when there hasn't been any response on one but for this one im literally going to lose it if they say there's no season 2.
Dec 16, 2023 7:56 AM

Nov 2023
Demons , why do they exist in every isekai fantasy I wonder
Pages (3) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka? Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 3, 2021

365 by perfumegenius »»
Apr 15, 10:50 AM

» As a LN reader, it hurts that this probably won't get another season

NXT_2006 - Feb 15, 2023

14 by DonKhixote »»
Apr 5, 4:02 PM

» So there's no romance in there?

rishamr - Mar 25

11 by Valenstine »»
Mar 29, 7:48 AM

Poll: » Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka? Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 19, 2021

162 by Ratris_Decision »»
Mar 7, 4:07 AM

Poll: » Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka? Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KANLen09 - Jan 8, 2021

331 by Ratris_Decision »»
Mar 5, 2:46 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.