Forum Settings
Forums
Apr 7, 9:00 PM

>They are gonna have to deal with criticism (some of them harsh) with the use of CGI in the next part of SnK
>Going to (probably?) adapt the whole manga (their reputation will probably be tarnished?)
>On top of that, they still have other adaptations to do (it may or may not affect their schedule, animators and overall quality)
>All eyes are on MAPPA. CSM is especially going to make or break MAPPA, so they really can't fuck up the adaptation

The future is going to look a bit worrying for this studio, do you think they will pull through...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Apr 7, 9:07 PM

Yeah. Hopefully they don't turn into another madhouse

Apr 7, 9:08 PM
MAPPA is turning to Madhouse slowly but surely
When you eat any deep fried food you expect it to crispy, warm, oily and tasty right?

Similarly when you watch shonen you should be expecting talk no jutsu, power of friendship, OP MC and other shonen tropes, if you hate those then you hate the genre as well.

But each shonen is different and also same at the same time just like fried chicken and fried fish, they are both deep fried but taste different.

Apr 7, 9:16 PM

They really should take it easy and stop tackling so many projects at once
FACT: GABI IS THE BEST AOT CHARACTER

Apr 7, 9:20 PM

They chose to work on all this projects, if things end up going bad, then that's on them.

Apr 7, 9:22 PM

Ok, I know the general response to the manga ending was negative, but how's that MAPPA's fault? I still think fans will be happy at least with the first half of the second part. MAPPA knew nothing about how the manga would end when they signed up for continuing the adaptation. Besides, manga readers are not the only fans of AoT, we don't know how anime onlies will receive the ending.

However, I agree on the CSM part. It will be the make or break of MAPPA. They have one option. To succeed. Otherwise, they're doomed. They nailed JJK, so I have high hopes for CSM.

Apr 7, 9:29 PM

bro who the fuck care about how Mappa dealing with it, we still gonna enjoy the anime despite the cristim shit
quote:

awesome

Apr 7, 9:30 PM

Dunno why the concern personally.

Dororo(2019) was great

JJK(2020) I have heard is really good I am just starting it. AoT:FS was generally received well

Kakegurui(2017) is on my to do list but I heard it was pretty good

Banana Fish(2018) was very well received I may even watch it and I am not really into Shoujo

God of High School(2020) was awful but I think it was more of a story and pacing issue personally and they may not have had control over that

Inuyashiki, Zombieland Saga, Zankyou no Terror, and Dorohedoro have all done well. I see people saying they love Yuri on Ice.

AoT they took when no one else wanted to. I personally would say they have done quite well in their show selection and execution of them. I am not big into them but I think positively when I see their name. Most studios do not have as many well received anime as consistently.

I think people are seeing them way too much for AoT and if it werent for them it could have been delayed. I am happy they are doing CSM, they did great with JJK as far as I can tell.

I also like they do all kinds of different anime types and not just one thing and they do them well for the most part. I am sure they mess up like any studio but I think they have a decent track record. They can't be held responsible for the story they are told to make. That is on the author. Blaming Mappa would be because people are stupid. If they mess up the rest of AoT they will deserve the criticism. Idiot band wagon anime fans can hate them for it if they want but people who watch more than AoT will be perfectly fine with Mappa.
Modified by -Ecliptix-, Apr 7, 9:34 PM

Apr 7, 9:39 PM

I don't care but one thing they are doing their best, and I really liked their work in AOT finale.

Apr 7, 10:34 PM

its all or nothing for them, if they mess up csm and the final season of aot then i think they'll go down as an infamous studio. if they manage to pull off decent adaptations (like they did for jjk) though, then they might become another one of the really big studios.

Apr 7, 10:47 PM

Honestly I don´t give a fuck about how they adapt SnK, but rather how many projects do they take at once. Either they are extremely huge in terms of man power, or those animators and directors haven´t leave their offices since covid started.

Like, these people are making almost 8 shows a year, that´s the same amount Toei (the biggest anime corp) does. They are going to run out of gas sooner or later, so I´ll prefer that they take their time with projects.

SnK fanbitches are going to complain either way (also, the script of the manga doesn´t have to do with them, they just adapt it).

Apr 7, 10:47 PM
samashi20 said:
Ok, I know the general response to the manga ending was negative, but how's that MAPPA's fault? I still think fans will be happy at least with the first half of the second part. MAPPA knew nothing about how the manga would end when they signed up for continuing the adaptation. Besides, manga readers are not the only fans of AoT, we don't know how anime onlies will receive the ending.

However, I agree on the CSM part. It will be the make or break of MAPPA. They have one option. To succeed. Otherwise, they're doomed. They nailed JJK, so I have high hopes for CSM.

I'm sure many people will still blame MAPPA for the bad ending with their mental gymnastics

Apr 7, 10:55 PM

as long as they don't mess up jujutsu kaisen, it's going to be ok

Apr 7, 11:07 PM
Im not sure how the animators are holding up, should be a matter of concern
Wataru doesn't care about the genuine thing

Apr 7, 11:21 PM
MAPPA I know I've been harsh to you but you're my last hope as a manga reader
Attack on Titan to the moon 🚀 🚀 🚀 🚀 🚀

Apr 7, 11:58 PM

if they don't wanna get criticized they better go work in selling takoyaki, creating anime is a tough job I know but no one should be excluded from criticizing.
Let's say for example no one would have criticized ex-arm? then what?
mappa are pros, they can take care of their own asses, some insults will never hurt them, also, how come david pro is not criticized? because they do their job just fine in animating jojo
"Even if there's a wide world and stories
beyond the main focus, I don't think
it's necessary to end with the protagonist having
been involved in everything." - Yagi Norihiro

Houseki no Kuni Club

My random anime ramblings blog on MAL

Apr 8, 12:22 AM

Your concern for Mappa is definitely valid, but here's the thing; Production houses like Mappa don't really earn much from anime adaptations of popular manga series like JJK. Most of the money is distributed among publication companies (like Shueisha) and merch companies, Mappa only will get a small share from it. So, to make more money (coz ofcourse that's how capitalism works) and more recognition, Mappa is taking more projects. And so far, they've done quite well. Now, I'm only waiting for the first CSM trailer to drop, that will make or break Mappa, but I hope they do excellently just as always.

Apr 8, 12:32 AM

I hope they make good products but I don't really care what happens to them (yeah I know harsh and evil)
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST

Apr 8, 6:41 AM
I don't know why you think MAPPA is suddenly in "trouble" i thought most of their anime are well received?

I do hope they pull through whatever it is that would pose a problem for them.

Personally i think MAPPA is a good studio, they are one of the only ones(if not the only one) that are willing to adapt old/finished/less popular source material.

I love Shoukoku no Altair and really liked Uchi Tama?! too!

I'm planning to also check out Koi to Producer: EVOL×LOVE, Kono Sekai no Katasumi ni and Zankyou no Terror for now, but always looking forward to see what they make next!

Modified by Dauphine, Apr 8, 6:46 AM

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Apr 8, 7:10 AM

MAPPA do more anime then just AOT. They've survived the aot whiners from this current season. They'll survive the second part too.

Apr 8, 7:12 AM
Honestly, at the rate MAPPA is going at (with the sheer amount of projects they have been working on recently) i could definetly see MAPPA falling apart or becoming the next J.C staff in terms of animation quality. They have great in-house talent but the amount of shows they are working on means that most of their animators are spread thin, causing animation quality to be pretty inconsistent throughout their works (i.e JJK and AoT).

Ironically, MAPPA is becoming the very thing its founder didn't want Madhouse to be; a studio prefering quantity over quality.

Apr 8, 7:16 AM
I hope that they go anime original for the ending, because of obvious reasons. And maybe that eren vs reiner is 2d but i keep my expectations low.

Apr 8, 7:16 AM

Yeah they really need to calm and stop taking so many projects at the same time (Jujutsu Kaisen movie, AOT season 4 part 2, Chainsawman and more). I feel bad for the staff who have to animate it. Also I'm worried that more people will starting to hate on them again for small CGI scenes.

But they are a great studio so I have high hopes for them. I think they will survive the next few anime they animate.

Apr 8, 7:17 AM
Ironic isn't it fanboys screaming out how mappa ruined AOT and comparing it to GOT yet they didnt think twice about something else doing exactly that

Mappa will be fine regardless they will most likely get more royalties from JJK then aot anyway.
Modified by Mattinator95, Apr 8, 7:21 AM

Apr 8, 7:18 AM

Man, I miss the times when Zankyou no Terror was it’s most popular anime.

Apr 8, 7:32 AM
Yeah knowing how stupid Aot fans are they will blame Mappa for the ending too, Mappa had done amazing job animating them, I hope they don't pay attention to those toxic people.

Apr 8, 7:33 AM
Catalano said:
if they don't wanna get criticized they better go work in selling takoyaki, creating anime is a tough job I know but no one should be excluded from criticizing.
mappa are pros, they can take care of their own asses, some insults will never hurt them, also, how come david pro is not criticized? because they do their job just fine in animating jojo
There is difference between criticizing and hating, Constructive criticism is needed but harrassing the staff is completely unnecessary and it's downright disgusting too

Apr 8, 7:36 AM

God, I hope they don't mess up the CSM adaptation.

I accept random friend requests!

Apr 8, 7:56 AM

Mappa is a mixed bag tbh

Sometimes their anime Looks absolutely amazing and sometimes the resort to CGI in the most basic Action-lacking anime ( Zombieland Saga 1 )

If they are given enough time they make really good looking anime

Apr 8, 7:58 AM

I really enjoyed Dorohedoro and JJK... SnK "not really" final season's Attack on Liberio was pretty well-animated too. I hope they keep it up.

Apr 8, 8:08 AM

Sayali567 said:
Catalano said:
There is difference between criticizing and hating, Constructive criticism is needed but harrassing the staff is completely unnecessary and it's downright disgusting too

there will always be one or two idiots who will make fun or insult the studio, if you can't take that, just go sell takoyaki or delete all social media
"Even if there's a wide world and stories
beyond the main focus, I don't think
it's necessary to end with the protagonist having
been involved in everything." - Yagi Norihiro

Houseki no Kuni Club

My random anime ramblings blog on MAL

Apr 8, 8:17 AM

I don't really care about Mappa.
They took it to themselves because they think they can handle it.
Now that they are criticized because of it, they gonna pull the "hur hur we worked hard and you didn't like it hur hur". idk man, they took the job because they thought they can do it, but when they got criticized they immediately say that they don't have time etch. etch.
I don't like that mentality.

idk, I'm just venting since they can easily become one of the great studios of all time, but they are forcing themselves to be the greatest at such a fast pace, faster than my mom hitting me with her slippers.

I wasted all my time in rewatching to the point of my rewatch total is higher than my overall anime total lmao

Apr 8, 8:17 AM

Mappa have just put out their 2 biggest shows ever in the last few months and regardless of any negative comments, their popularity is still at an all time high, but Chainsaw Man is suddenly make or break... This forum is so over dramatic at times.

Apr 8, 8:32 AM

I have no concerns regarding Chainsaw Man because it’s their biggest project yet and it will generate the most revenue so they are being extra careful with it while having their best team work on it (same guys from JJK).

And I really don’t give a shit about AOT, they can fuck it up as much as they want and I will be extremely happy.

Go Chainsaw Man, fuck AOT

Apr 8, 8:36 AM
Chainsaw Man will be fine literally its been reported that a lot of talented animators wanted to work on it

but ye MAPPA is MadHouse 2.0 anyway so they will implode at some point too if they keep being overloaded with work

Apr 8, 8:42 AM

I feel like outside of MAL, I hardly see a lot of criticism of MAPPA.

They'll be fine on CSM, it's practically the anime they begged to make, so they'll do a fine job on it.

SnK S4 was pretty good, and it shows since it's #2 on top rated anime.
Similarly with JJK or most other projects they've done.

The AD forum on MAL really likes to pretend they're the greatest anime critics but most anime do just fine on MAL.
Even Madhouse is doing pretty well even if they make much fewer anime now.

Apr 8, 8:43 AM

Judevin said:
I feel like outside of MAL, I hardly see a lot of criticism of MAPPA.

They'll be fine on CSM, it's practically the anime they begged to make, so they'll do a fine job on it.

SnK S4 was pretty good, and it shows since it's #2 on top rated anime.
Similarly with JJK or most other projects they've done.

The AD forum on MAL really likes to pretend they're the greatest anime critics but most anime do just fine on MAL.
Even Madhouse is doing pretty well even if they make much fewer anime now.

On mal people are addicted to outrage and making drama out of things that never really were issues in the first place.

You're not the only one who feels that you hardly see any criticism outside of mal as this place is just a section of the online anime community not the entire whole of it.
I got my values, so you can keep yours

Apr 8, 1:45 PM

Let me know when they're consistently dropping trash projects. Jujutsu, AoT S4, Dororo, Terror in Resonance, Banana Fish, Zombieland Saga, Inuyashiki, Dorohedoro, Yuri on Ice, Kakegurui. If you ask me, I'd say they've been pretty consistent with dropping good projects. Jujutsu in my opinion is their most impressive title and it just finished airing.

They're doing just fine.

And this goes without mentioning their highly anticipated projects on the way (Jujutsu's movie and Chainsaw Man) along with projects that will probably also do well like the Yuri on Ice movie and Yasuke. Again, we can have this conversation if they butcher a bunch of these projects. Til' then, though...long live MAPPA!

Apr 9, 2:50 AM
Laughing Man

So, the narrative here on MAL is that MAPPA is on dire straits, and only not messing up Chainsaw Man may just save them from becoming another Madhouse (legendary studio for decades?)? Guys, say that when MAPPA hasn't just released the 2nd best anime of all time, as far as the userbase here (and in other anime listing sites) is concerned lol Not to mention other good to great shows. It would've been like saying Nintendo was in trouble when they first released Zelda BOTW and it was getting 10/10's everywhere.
Modified by BatoKusanagi, Apr 9, 2:57 AM

Apr 9, 3:04 AM

It's probably not possible for all of these titles to be executed well. Studios have to prioritise certain shows over others, like how they did with jjk. They knew it was going to be a hit and it was its first season, which really matters, because at the end of the day Wit has already made Aot what it is and everybody is going to stay for the ending, whereas if jjk didn't have a banger first season no one would stick around for Season 2 and so on...

Same thing will happen with Chainsaw man. They have to give it their all for its first season. Everyone is going to watch Aot anyways so I believe they won't bother giving it all their care and it's just going to end up more or less like the first part. It just wouldn't be good business if they only focused on Aot. I'm mad tho, oh well that's how things go, I just wish they had some more time to polish it a little...

Apr 9, 8:26 AM

they've been dealing with quite big names lately so yeah im kinda worried about backlash if they do anything remotely disappointing. honestly dont understand the amount of criticism they've been getting lately though, especially for aot. i dont think the cg was anything remotely close to "bad" it could've been better but it definitely wasn't bad. they also did really well with jjk. they did take on those offers on their own so it's a double edged sword, make it work and you'll make your reputation even way way better, fuck it up and you're done.