Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Apr 3, 2021 10:45 PM

Aug 2019
They really slowed down the pacing just to end the episode at that moment, which normally wouldn't bother me except for the fact that the rest of the episode was mediocre and the animation was subpar. I especially didn't like that Toei showed a vague silhouette of whatever the One Piece is, which sort of resembled a tree or mound in the distance. Now we gotta wait 5+ years to see if Toei was accurate with what they teased.
Apr 3, 2021 10:52 PM
Jul 2018
damn what an amazing episode, really enjoyed the adventures with oden and cool to see and find out more about rogers adventures and stuff, cant wait for more!
Apr 3, 2021 11:03 PM
Nov 2020
I honestly started to tear up when binks sake started playing
Apr 3, 2021 11:28 PM

Feb 2021
haha were almost at the funny number
Apr 3, 2021 11:49 PM

Apr 2015
This was one of the best episodes even among this entire flashback which Toei has nailed exceptionally. They actually played an old ending theme (which is a first in one piece I think unless I'm mistaken). The whole Laughtale scene and the final few minutes made me tear up because if its this sad right now I cant imagine myself when Luffy actually finds One piece and his journey ends. The best flashback in One piece and its not even over yet!
Apr 4, 2021 12:00 AM
Apr 2016
curvedtree said:
Subpar animation, people are settling down for too low, still I was waiting for that ending ever since I read it in the manga.
Really hope you're just trolling, since otherwise that's one of the worst takes I've seen in a while. There's no need for godly animation given there was no fight or anything movement-packed; and with that in mind, it was absolutely perfect especially because of the directing; the decision to put in Memories as the OST was extremely commendable, and everyone but you seems to acknowledge that.
Apr 4, 2021 12:36 AM

Sep 2019
Chills.

Damn, what an episode. They really did play the first ED. Man, this is too emotional. Them setting foot in the last island with that song made me tear up.
Apr 4, 2021 12:57 AM

Jul 2015
Sad seeing young pedro while knowing the noble sacrifice he made in the fight against Big mom. Damn that end was beautiful, not only seeing Shanks and Buggy's good friendship but also Roger and the rest reaching Laugh Tale.

Apr 4, 2021 1:30 AM

Sep 2018
Seriously... what the hell was that rom-com song doing there at the end of the episode??
Apr 4, 2021 1:39 AM

Nov 2010
Lepru said:
Seriously... what the hell was that rom-com song doing there at the end of the episode??

That's anime's first ending song. Nostalgia trip
Apr 4, 2021 1:43 AM

Sep 2018
Dahaka_ said:
Lepru said:

That's anime's first ending song. Nostalgia trip

Well...Yes, I get it, but it ruined the mood for me. That song is completely different from every other theme of the anime.
I would have preferred one of the usual themes.
Apr 4, 2021 2:09 AM

Jul 2019
Wow Toei really knows what they are doing, almost teared up at the end, i was actually expecting Memories to be played at some point, maybe near the end of the anime, but didn't really expect it to be used this soon, it was a really nice surprise. Amazing, this is truly peak One piece.
Apr 4, 2021 2:23 AM

Jun 2020
For me it was even better than Episode 957.
I want to say so much but can't say more..
Apr 4, 2021 2:53 AM
EOussama

Dec 2016
I'm tearing up right now and drinking my own tears, the ending song “memories” is so powerful and emotional, this is such a milestone we're hitting.
Apr 4, 2021 3:11 AM

Nov 2015
i feel like joy boy backstory will be the peak of the flash backs .

Apr 4, 2021 3:26 AM
Mar 2019
gosh, this episode reminded me why OP is so special, dem feels, I teared a little this episode
Apr 4, 2021 3:31 AM

Nov 2015
The whole episode, right in the feels.

For me, it started with seeing Roger and little Pedro. Knowing how his story ends, that certainly got it started.

Then Shanks getting the straw hat, and Bink's Sake. And then, in a complete but very pleasant surprise, the very first ED theme. It fit extremely well with the idea of showing where it all started. The origin of the Laugh Tale name.

This one was just brilliantly done. I was afraid the flashback would be dull, but they've carried it off very well indeed.
Risk something, take back what's yours
Say something they know they might attack you for.
--Linkin Park, "Hands Held High"
Apr 4, 2021 3:52 AM

Jul 2016
G_Spark233 said:
What a magnificent episode. The OST at the end got me more emotional than I expected.

It's too bad this will be the end of Roger's story.

One more ep of Roger badass
Apr 4, 2021 4:01 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
seraphblade said:
The whole episode, right in the feels.

For me, it started with seeing Roger and little Pedro. Knowing how his story ends, that certainly got it started.

Then Shanks getting the straw hat, and Bink's Sake. And then, in a complete but very pleasant surprise, the very first ED theme. It fit extremely well with the idea of showing where it all started. The origin of the Laugh Tale name.

This one was just brilliantly done. I was afraid the flashback would be dull, but they've carried it off very well indeed.

x2, summed up my thoughts perfectly. ED 1, talk about a pleasant surprise!

One of the best OP episode in recent times!
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Apr 4, 2021 5:02 AM
Jun 2020
so Raftel = Laugh tale WOW
Apr 4, 2021 5:09 AM

Jun 2011
Raftel = Laugh tale.. I will call this One Piece is actually:

& HE LAUGHED
Apr 4, 2021 5:32 AM

Jul 2007
Its not about being funny because its a joke like some people presume. Personally I think its something so unreachable with the current technology in their world, that they laughed hysterically at the fact that there is literally nothing they can do about it. A tale full of laughs, a journey of years of swashbuckling adventures only to come to an abrupt dead end. Which makes you think, just what in the hell is luffy going to do about it and what in gods name is the one piece treasure?

My hunch is its something from a diff time period and with far more advanced technology that when pirates lay their eyes upon, they look at it as an alien object not from their world and are just clueless and dumbstruck. hence why they laugh.

To put it into perspective, how would people from like the 1500's or early 16th century react to seeing an automobile car or an airplane Jet. They would probably think its something very alien like a spaceship visiting their planet.

This is what I think one piece is. Its an ancient piece of technology that completly rivals the current piracy era.

But I am deffinitly open to hear everyone's theories about this now that you get a little more of a hint about what it could potentually be.

ArtimesGamerApr 4, 2021 5:41 AM

Apr 4, 2021 6:22 AM

Oct 2009
At times like these it makes me happy that I continued with the anime and not switch to the manga.
When Memories came on I teared up and was smiling like a idiot :')

So Raftel was Laugh Tale all along... 
「ラフテル」wonder if it was only oblivious to non Japanese speakers?
Apr 4, 2021 7:29 AM
Jul 2018
Oden only stayed a few hours in wano surprised me, an interesting point.
Apr 4, 2021 7:49 AM

Apr 2013
I had never expected that they would play "memories" here, but it fits so well, an iconic song for an iconic scene.
Apr 4, 2021 8:06 AM
May 2019
Perfect episode with very good animation
Playing the first ED "memories" was a good décision :)
Apr 4, 2021 8:08 AM

Jan 2014
Truly the GOAT

Genuinely feel bad to people who have not watched One Piece...
Apr 4, 2021 8:10 AM
Dec 2015
What can i say, this flashback is the best moment in the anime history! Poor Oden is about to discovery what is happening in Wano...
Apr 4, 2021 8:12 AM

Apr 2019
Great episode and lovely song to end the episode. So good!

Apr 4, 2021 8:33 AM

Jun 2011
"He laughed" is one of the best panels in Wano arc and damn it was glorious in the anime. I can't wait to watch the whole Wano arc in full once it's completed. Beautiful!

I saw this comment on reddit as well,
I am hoping Oda on purpose made it ambiguous if it was gonna be Raftel or Laftale - Laugh Tale.

just so he could be like yohoho u translated it to Raftel for 20 years but it was LAUGH TALE ALL A LONG

surprise that they added One piece ENDING 1 when they got to laugh tale.

The yohohoho in your comment is apt because the last line of Binks' Sake is "Tale of laughs/Funny story".

And hence the Bink's Sake song before the moment! Brilliantly done.
ToG25thBaamApr 4, 2021 8:39 AM
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Apr 4, 2021 9:17 AM
Aug 2018
Memories at the end playing is so on point
Apr 4, 2021 10:30 AM
Feb 2020
Seriously one of the best episodes :)
Apr 4, 2021 10:56 AM
Jul 2020
Another beautiful episode with amazing songs one piece is the gift that keeps on giving cant wait for the next episode
Apr 4, 2021 10:56 AM
Nov 2016
A great animation as always. Cried at end of the episode, with the 1st ED of One Piece, that brings back so many memories...
Apr 4, 2021 11:04 AM

May 2014
Interesting to see how the Roger pirate crew came to the last island. Very interesting to see how Oda showed they completed the task without revealing any major spoilers about the last Island. We will probably not get any further information before they actually reach the island. Also, of course, they had to find a valid excuse for Shanks and Buggy to not go to Raftael (Laugh Tale). Great to see the extended moment between chibi Pedo and Roger. Very saddening knowing he sacrificed himself for the future Pirate King.

I love how they gave us a nostalgic feeling with having the first ending and Brink's sake in the ep.
mangalicker94Apr 4, 2021 11:07 AM
Apr 4, 2021 11:30 AM
Jul 2018
Awww, a young Pedro! 😁

Terrific episode all around! Lowkey sad to see this flashback about to reach its climax soon, it's been a wonderful journey!
Apr 4, 2021 11:34 AM
Sep 2018
It was clearly one of the best episodes of all One Piece. I had all the emotions possible on this episode. It's just incredible, I don't think that one day a manga will be better than One Piece... It's just my opinion but I think a lot of people's too... I love One Piece.
Apr 4, 2021 12:34 PM

Jul 2008
alphazero4um said:
Dude that song at the end felt so perfect. Like seriously wow. The song at the end is called Memories if anyone wants to know. Like dang. This felt like the perfect song because Roger reached the island he wanted to go to. Everything he has done and all he did. He became what he is called. I give you! Gol D. Roger! King of the Pirates. Conqueror of the Seas! The man who traveled around the world and the only man who made it far with his great crew! What a blast! X3

Back way back when One Piece had ending songs....this was the first one so it's kinda up there with We Are in terms of nostalgia. Perfect song to choose.

This flashback arc has lived up to the hype around it.
Apr 4, 2021 12:55 PM

Jun 2019
It felt like getting a glimpse of how it will be like when Luffy reaches Laugh Tale.
Moreover, now it's confirmed in the anime that we will learn about the 100-Year Void, People of the D & The Ancient Weapons when Luffy reaches Laugh Tale!

This episode was so beautiful that I even cried!
Apr 4, 2021 1:29 PM

Aug 2018
INCREDIBLE episode in terms of what we witnessed on it and how it was adapted from manga

Rogers journey was just a fantastic thing to see if we saw very small part of it.
The final island of Laugh tale was displayed beautifully along with that super nostalgic first ending song that I’m very very glad isn’t forgotten by creators since it gets more and more nostalgic hearing it as time goes by.

Now it seems that we will see how Oden’s journey continues till its conclusion

Thank you again Toei for just not letting us down and making many viewers easter even better
Apr 4, 2021 2:58 PM

Jul 2007
Figva said:
INCREDIBLE episode in terms of what we witnessed on it and how it was adapted from manga

Rogers journey was just a fantastic thing to see if we saw very small part of it.
The final island of Laugh tale was displayed beautifully along with that super nostalgic first ending song that I’m very very glad isn’t forgotten by creators since it gets more and more nostalgic hearing it as time goes by.

Now it seems that we will see how Oden’s journey continues till its conclusion

Thank you again Toei for just not letting us down and making many viewers easter even better

The climax of this flashback arc is going to be very special. The director in paticular of the anime and specific voice actors will be present to Co host a special life stream from TOEI and funimation with my community. How ever I am not allowed to talk about what they are doing, but the upcoming episodes are going to be very nice, so prepare your self.

Apr 4, 2021 2:59 PM

Nov 2017
A very beautiful episode! The sequence Binks no Sake and first ending Memories is INSANE!
Apr 4, 2021 4:04 PM
Dec 2019
is it just me, or does roger's crew really seem a bit... "normal"?
lo-fi-weirdoApr 4, 2021 4:08 PM
Apr 4, 2021 4:09 PM

Jan 2020
lo-fi-weirdo said:

hm? What do you mean by that?

Apr 4, 2021 6:33 PM
Dec 2019
ManWild said:
lo-fi-weirdo said:

They just look so ordinary, like they are background characters. The first member of the crew we learn about is Rayleigh, and he is the vice captain, of course he will be outstanding. Buggy and shanks aren't really strong by then, but shanks had haoshoku, i believe at that time he didnt know it yet, but then we learn about nekomamushi and inuarashi, that might be as strong as jinbei (i'm comparing them with jinbei because i think they are from the same generation). And at last comes Oden, a guy that we learn, right before the flashback, that he posseses haoshoku. 4 guys already on the crew already have it, and the other look so normal. They don't have unique desings that make them look "badass", they don't have devil fruits powers, they don't have legendary weapons.

The first time we had a glimpse of new wolrd, it was during the war of the best, and the random characters of this arc, reminded me a bit of roger's crew.

Idk, OP's relevant characters always have something that might make them look special, at least i believe so, and the crew didn't seem like the strongest pirate crew that ever lived
Apr 4, 2021 6:58 PM
Mar 2021
this episode was sooo good i never wanted to finish it and sooo many mystries to unravel

i was crying watching itttt
Apr 4, 2021 6:59 PM

Jul 2007
lo-fi-weirdo said:
ManWild said:

They just look so ordinary, like they are background characters. The first member of the crew we learn about is Rayleigh, and he is the vice captain, of course he will be outstanding. Buggy and shanks aren't really strong by then, but shanks had haoshoku, i believe at that time he didnt know it yet, but then we learn about nekomamushi and inuarashi, that might be as strong as jinbei (i'm comparing them with jinbei because i think they are from the same generation). And at last comes Oden, a guy that we learn, right before the flashback, that he posseses haoshoku. 4 guys already on the crew already have it, and the other look so normal. They don't have unique desings that make them look "badass", they don't have devil fruits powers, they don't have legendary weapons.

The first time we had a glimpse of new wolrd, it was during the war of the best, and the random characters of this arc, reminded me a bit of roger's crew.

Idk, OP's relevant characters always have something that might make them look special, at least i believe so, and the crew didn't seem like the strongest pirate crew that ever lived

This is not the studio's doing, ODA him self drew the characters as sort of stand-in background characters because they are formally not introduced yet or presented in the story at this time.This is not something new with one piece though its happened quite a few times. Oda likes to present characters with minimalistic designs untill he is ready to fully draw them out with more distinct features and abstract models. Many of the NW characters were given this same treatment during pre-time skip until they really became a larger part of the stories. Look at big Mom's first appearence for example, or many of the warlords like Doflimingo, or even blackbeard and his crew and Marco or Diamond Jozu. Alot of characters in one piece, until they are actually more relevent to current story arcs, are delogated to generic designs that kind of just blend in the background.
ArtimesGamerApr 4, 2021 7:09 PM

Apr 4, 2021 7:15 PM

Jul 2013
My god what an incredible episode. Oden finally made it back to Wano even if it was just for a few hours to get the copy of the Ponegliff. At this point in time, Wano was already undergoing a major change. So that was definitely one of the toughest decisions Oden had to make so far. But like he said, if he stayed at Wano he most likely wouldn't have continued his journey with Roger.

Oh man seeing Pedro again made me sad, even if I really love that moment between him and Roger.

Poor Buggy. By far the worst moment to get a cold and not being able to travel to the last island. But respect to Shanks who stayed with him on land.

The smile of Whitebeard when he read that his friend and rival Roger finally became the pirate king.

Even if I have no clue what exactly Roger and his crew saw it was such a beautiful ending where everyone laughed so much that they had to cry. It's also crazy when you think that the Roger pirates are the first to make it to this island in 800 years. I'm glad they didn't show anything about what Joy Boy left behind, but it surely is something very special.
I always thought this island was just called Raftel but what an incredible idea to name it Laugh Tale.

I guess we all know what is about to happen next and tbh I'm not ready for it.

Apr 4, 2021 7:33 PM

Dec 2015
Perfect episode!
>_<
Apr 4, 2021 9:42 PM
Jan 2021
perfekt😭😭😭😭😭
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1100 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

IzanaSolos - Apr 6

162 by pikituso10 »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 360 Discussion ( 1 2 )

mulderman - Jul 4, 2008

73 by gannoncannon55 »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 359 Discussion

Darkreaper70 - Jun 26, 2008

46 by gannoncannon55 »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 899 Discussion ( 1 2 )

blank - Aug 24, 2019

54 by scarywolf143 »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 358 Discussion

Darkreaper70 - Jun 23, 2008

46 by gannoncannon55 »»
4 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.