Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 1, 2021 11:50 AM
Jan 2021
I have been trying to watch season 1 for sometime and I really can't find the motive to watch it. I gave it a shot so many times. But every single time I struggle to complete the episode I'm watching. Sometimes I stop half way through the episode then pick up after a couple of days (that's how unwatchable clannad season 1 is for me). I'm only trying so hard to watch because literally everyone worships season 2 and I honestly want to watch this so called "masterpiece"
Do you think if I force my self to completing the first season, I will enjoy the second one?

This post is not meant for hating or anything just a question for myself

Also no spoilers
Thanks
Apr 1, 2021 11:54 AM

Aug 2020
Why would you force yourself to see something you don't enjoy?
a wise user of MAL said:
Just to clarify, adaptations should absolutely stand on their own
Apr 1, 2021 11:57 AM

Dec 2018
What the guy above said. Don't watch something just because it's popular, that's a sure-fire way to hate it
Stuff in the streets, Stuff with drip in the sheets
Apr 1, 2021 11:59 AM
Oct 2015
the first season is to just fill you in on who are the characters in the after story. the second season is definetly better, but that doesnteam you'll enjoy it, so do what you want to do
Apr 1, 2021 12:06 PM
Jul 2018
Meh, first season was shit and second one was fine. People said it would change your life but I actually felt like I wasted my time after watching it. Also clannad is the anime that made me allergic to those kinda eyes.
Apr 1, 2021 12:14 PM
Dec 2014
Bruh you are basically me 7 years ago. I hated the first season but everybody was telling me to keep watching closely and that the second season is truly rewarding. And in the end, the first season was like 6/10 for me but second was the absolute 10/10 masterpiece that I enjoyed probably too much. I am not saying you need to like it as much as I do, but I am saying it is definitely worth your time. Also, the second season wouldnt be so hard hitting without the first one. The first season is all the build up to the greatness. And my advice is that after you finish After Story, try google some theories and explanations, it helped me understand a couple of subtle plot points (looking at you Fuko-chan).
Apr 1, 2021 12:24 PM

Mar 2017
yes.. now go and watch season 2 end of discussion
Apr 1, 2021 12:35 PM

Jun 2020
It's only a masterpiece to you if you enjoy it. If you literally have to force yourself to watch then the first ~half of "After Story" will probably be similar. Although idk how you'll feel about the second half
Apr 1, 2021 12:36 PM

Jan 2020
Probably not as much as most of us but you may like it more

Apr 1, 2021 12:40 PM
Nov 2020
Clannad is a beautiful anime not perfect just beautiful, just don't watch it because it's famous. Its a cute but tear jerking love story with lots of fun characters if that's what you need then go for it.
Apr 1, 2021 12:42 PM
Jul 2018
Do you like the main characters at least a bit? If yes, keep watching. If you don't like them there is no reason to keep watching.
Apr 1, 2021 1:35 PM

Feb 2021
I didn't like the first season as much, but basically all it's there for is to get you familiar with the characters and the storyline.
Apr 1, 2021 2:23 PM
Oct 2020
ngl i felt this pain as well. try watching it on x2 speed. i didn’t discover this until i nearly finished s1 but it sped up the process. personally, i don’t think after story is a masterpiece but i think it’s a pretty good anime. i say this because the ending wasn’t great in my opinion.
Apr 1, 2021 3:02 PM
Mar 2021
You can watch it and do something in the meen time if you watch it dub if not than wach it with a friend, and if even that doesn't work than just skip it. You don't have to watch it if you can't or don't want to.
hadesundergodApr 1, 2021 3:07 PM
Apr 1, 2021 9:37 PM
May 2020
aarnat53 said:
ngl i felt this pain as well. try watching it on x2 speed. i didn’t discover this until i nearly finished s1 but it sped up the process. personally, i don’t think after story is a masterpiece but i think it’s a pretty good anime. i say this because the ending wasn’t great in my opinion.

Bruh 2x speed? Are you serious? If he doesn't like something, just drop it. Why do people want to raide their total days of watched anime? Like it is to enjoy it, nobody cares if you (or anyone) hits 100 Days
Apr 1, 2021 9:43 PM
Oct 2020
I don’t think so..I forced myself to watch clannad S1 and I dropped clannad:after story at chapter 3, both season is really disappoint me. Dont know how I managed to watch the whole 1st season b4 this. Literally I just been forcing myself to watch it everytime and ended up giving it a worst score.
Apr 1, 2021 10:36 PM
Dec 2020
You are like me when i'm watching Clannad for the first time. It took me a month to finish the 1st season, but it only took 3 days for me to finish the 2nd season. So don't force yourself, just watch the 1st season slowly to more understanding the 2nd season/after story.
Apr 2, 2021 12:54 AM

Apr 2018
Depending on what held you back with S1, you very well might. S2 takes quite a different route, especially in the later half.
Apr 2, 2021 1:00 AM

Oct 2020
If you like Okazaki then I'd say go ahead. If you don't, then there's almost no chance you'll give a shit about anything that happens. I'm saying this as someone who gave Clannad a 6/10 (still good though imo) and Afterstory a 10/10.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 2, 2021 10:39 AM
Oct 2019
Clannad is a masterpiece that requires both seasons to absorb the story entirely. However, this show definitely isn't for everyone. The first season is more along the lines of a romantic comedy. It's for character development and to let you understand them and know them.

The second season, is a romantic drama. After two arcs similar to the first season it abandons school life and jumps you straight into adulthood. Which is why the character development is important as you are watching these characters literally grow up.

However, if you aren't hooked on the first season just drop it. If these kind of shows aren't your type there is no need to force yourself to watch something that you do not enjoy.
Apr 2, 2021 10:50 AM
Apr 2020
S1 and first 12 ep of S2 is ok. I liked the humor that was sometimes, but it wasn't more than ok. The last 12 ep of S2 however...
It was an amazing experience for me. I never cry, because when I grew up I was told "boys don't cry" even when it is a so good way to process feelings.
Anyway, the last 12 ep of clannad: after story made me cry. It was the first, and is probably the last movie/anime where I cried (i have seen so many sad movies/animes but while i was sad i never cried). It was so touching and made my view on my family change.
When I finished S2 I went and hugged my parents.
if you have watched s1, and hated it then dont continue, but if you thought it was ok then try s2.
“Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many. working hard alone doesn't assure you that you'll achieve your dreams. actually there are more cases where you don't. even so, working hard and achieving something is some consolation at least.”
― Hikigaya Hachiman

Apr 2, 2021 10:58 AM

Apr 2013
I'd say so.

I forced myself to sit through season 1 of Clannad as well as the start of After Story to eventually rate After Story a 10/10. Season 1 is a 6/10 at best; it's fine, nothing more.

I watched Clannad & After Story when I had just started to watch anime again after a few years break. It might have been the sole reason I was able to sit through Clannad as I cannot bring myself to watch anime I don't enjoy to a certain extent anymore. But After Story is definitely worth the pain.
Apr 2, 2021 11:22 AM
Apr 2020
Prototyp said:
Bruh you are basically me 7 years ago. I hated the first season but everybody was telling me to keep watching closely and that the second season is truly rewarding. And in the end, the first season was like 6/10 for me but second was the absolute 10/10 masterpiece that I enjoyed probably too much. I am not saying you need to like it as much as I do, but I am saying it is definitely worth your time. Also, the second season wouldnt be so hard hitting without the first one. The first season is all the build up to the greatness. And my advice is that after you finish After Story, try google some theories and explanations, it helped me understand a couple of subtle plot points (looking at you Fuko-chan).

I'm in the same position, where I didn't like season 1 that much but season 2 was stellar.
Apr 2, 2021 11:32 AM

Feb 2020
Hm... I will say the typical "you shouldn't force yourself to watch anything you don't like" but sometimes forcing yourself to like something makes you end up loving it (at least in my experience).

I never had an issue with Clannad at all so it was easy for me to watch, but I will say try to give it a chance. It seems like you're focused a lot on the fact that you're forcing yourself to watch it and not well...actually watching it. Try to drop any bias you have and just sit down to watch it and give it a proper chance.

Personally I am that person who refuses to drop an anime even if I dislike it. A tip I always give people is to watch at least, minimum, a single episode per day and you'll eventually get it finished. I recommend trying it that way but maybe don't treat it as if it's a chore.

Also, again if it's that hard to watch, you can try turning up the episode speed to get the episode done faster. It might remove some points for the OST, though.
Apr 2, 2021 2:34 PM
Aug 2020
Genuinely speaking, if you didn't enjoy the first season then there is over an 85% chance you won't enjoy the second, just like me.
Idk, it just didn't give much of an impact for me? Just like you, I forced myself to watch both the seasons (I didn't particularly find it interesting) and
ngl if I were to compare the two seasons, I liked the first season more.
Apr 2, 2021 2:38 PM

Jul 2020
Seems like people forget that anime is just meant for enjoying and the people over here on Mal just watch it for the sake to increase completed numbers.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Apr 2, 2021 2:41 PM

Feb 2021
Idk, you should try though. I thought the arcs about the star girl and the bookworm were pretty cool.
Apr 2, 2021 5:40 PM

Aug 2017
Honestly. Don't force yourself to watch it.

Give it some time.

Season 1 is just to display who the characters are and their backstory.
It's more slice of life heavy.

If you don't enjoy those, then I don't think you will enjoy Afterstory. And you should just drop it.

After story, requires you to appreciate the characters. Specifically, Tomoya, Nagisa, and her parents.

Apr 3, 2021 4:53 AM
Mar 2021
The visual novel are way more better than the anime you should play that before watching
May 2, 2021 5:28 PM
Jul 2018
kinda late but yeah, i rated the first season 4/10 and after story 10/10 and it's now my fav anime of all time lmao

in my opinion, it's on a whole another level since the story and the themes take a darker and more "realistic" turn, but for those exact reasons someone else might not like it.

clannad is that one 50/50 show that will either make you hate it or change you lmao
May 3, 2021 2:26 AM
Jul 2019
Forcing yourself to enjoy something would achieve the opposite effect. As much as I think Clannad is a fantastic show to me, it's not a fantastic show to everyone, and I get why that is so. Enjoyment shouldn't be something that is forced upon, but should be something out of your own volition.
May 4, 2021 11:34 AM

Apr 2020
Coming from someone who thinks both seasons are masterpieces, I don’t think you’ll enjoy season 2 if you have to force yourself through season 1.

The reason I say this is because the actual “After Story” arc that elevates the show higher than most doesn’t begin until episode 10. While the show defines it as when Nagisa and Tomoya get together, the visual novel’s After Story mode is from eps 10-22, and the first 10 episodes goes through extra narratives needed to unlock After Story (+ the final two eps 23-24, one from an expansion of the game, the other a recap).

Basically what I’m saying is the second season will be more of the same until it hits that point where the “school setting” is dropped, so if you don’t like it now I would drop.
May 4, 2021 11:39 AM

Jul 2019
You need to say why you don't like it. Also just watch the thing for yourself to just. Only you can control what you will like and not like at the end of the day.
May 4, 2021 11:46 AM

Aug 2018
After Story is way different than S1 but you first have to make it through the first eight episodes which are the worst in the entire series. This is coming from someone who loves Clannad and rated both seasons 10/10. The latter half of AS really makes up for the weak start.
May 4, 2021 8:46 PM
Apr 2020
If it’s really bad then read a summary of the first season then watch the second
May 11, 2021 12:59 AM
Jun 2019
When i tried this anime i dropped it after 5 eps, due to high recommendations i tried again and dropped again 5 eps
Later once my brother says lets watch clannad i said its boring he said his friend say it really good so lets watch it
I tried again even though i wanna drop it i watch first season after first season my feelings like its not bad atleast worthy to watch it

But after season 2 start its become just whole another level masterpiece is not even worthy to say its just amazing
a once in decades anime
May 16, 2021 11:59 PM
Apr 2021
Well this was my personal experience. I literally couldn't watch the first episodes of season 1,especially fuko's arc. I would speed it up 1.5x and still get bored. But around ep 16,i started getting interested. I decided to start after story and yeah it was definetly better. I like it enough to consider it in my top 10.
May 25, 2021 4:00 PM

Oct 2014
First season was a 6.5 for me and the second is a 10.
Sasuke or Kaneki I can't decide
Jun 3, 2021 6:32 AM

Jul 2019
Season 1 was better so I doubt you would like this one, or you might like it because it's very different from s1
Jun 3, 2021 6:37 AM

Jul 2019
purpleninja0006 said:
First season was a 6.5 for me and the second is a 10.

For me the first 32 episodes were an 8 and the last 15 were a 6

More topics from this board

» Hopefully this isn't annoying

Ricdumb - Apr 10

3 by Ricdumb »»
Apr 20, 6:25 PM

Poll: » Clannad ~After Story~ Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

angel999 - Oct 23, 2008

319 by KingOfPneumos »»
Apr 14, 10:59 PM

Poll: » Clannad ~After Story~ Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Davison - Oct 16, 2008

260 by KingOfPneumos »»
Apr 8, 7:26 PM

Poll: » Clannad ~After Story~ Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kiseki - Oct 2, 2008

347 by KingOfPneumos »»
Apr 7, 6:44 PM

Poll: » Clannad ~After Story~ Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

patient_senses - Mar 12, 2009

1168 by Chilicon_valley »»
Mar 10, 8:29 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.