Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 31, 2021 8:41 AM
Mar 2021
Idk Why but I cried in "Your Name" but I didn't cry in "Your lie in April" , "Anohana" , "A Silent Voice"....

"Your name" is not sad story but still and One of the most sad series "Your lie in April" I didn't cry it's not like I am holding back

It always feel likes I am missing something though I watch it with full concentration and it is not the case either that I can't relate... I am really like main character in "Silent Voice" and "Anohana" but still...

I really wanna cry If I don't cry I doesn't feel satisfied, like there is some strange feeling...

Please comment below your thoughts
Mar 31, 2021 8:53 AM

Sep 2019
@Alshu gives the best advice about emotional anime. He will make you cry.
"I think I wanted to attack something. Like betraying people or hurting people. And, well, it's not exactly nice, but hurting the readers too... In all honestly, I feel that's what I really wanted to do. For me, as a reader, when I think, "this manga will remain in my heart," it means, for example, it phenomenally hurt me: It's those kinds of experiences I'm after." - Pajime Hisayama (My favourite hurting author).
Mar 31, 2021 9:00 AM

May 2018
Peeti said:

There's the thing - every show can make you sad even deeply depressed...

For example Shin-chan. If you really think about what it says about people and society this can make you borderline suicidal.
Mar 31, 2021 9:04 AM

Aug 2018
Try Clannad then Clannad: ~After Story~

It should make you cry, if it fails too then, I guess you're made of steel.
Mar 31, 2021 9:08 AM
Jul 2018
alshu said:
Peeti said:

There's the thing - every show can make you sad even deeply depressed...

For example Shin-chan. If you really think about what it says about people and society this can make you borderline suicidal.

Wait, what? How is that? Please elaborate.
Mar 31, 2021 9:09 AM

Nov 2008
Try Violet Evergarden, Air, or Full Moon Wo Sagashite. xD

Your Lie in April didn't make me cry either; I didn't like the story, personally....Kaori's a bad person.

Mar 31, 2021 9:10 AM

Jul 2020
Jujutsu Kaisen episode 17 animation was so freaking beautiful that I wanted to cry.Even a simple bullet attack had a lot of amazing sakuga animation.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Mar 31, 2021 9:12 AM

Jun 2016
Crying watching the popular sad anime isn't a guarentee. Your condition is normal.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Mar 31, 2021 9:13 AM

Aug 2018
it's ok if u didn't cry watching anohana, that anime's trash
Mar 31, 2021 9:18 AM
Dec 2017
ichigoisbae said:

You take that back, now! >:(
jk lol <3

To OP and others, I think its whatever you watch first because you're so unprepared for how hard anime can hit. Anohana was my first emotional anime which made me cry, after which i watched Your Name, Your Lie in April, and more and never cried again. It took till I watched A Silent Voice for me to tear up again.

I think you're more likely to cry if you watch an anime without any expectations that it'll make you cry.
Mar 31, 2021 9:22 AM

May 2018
PiyushSan said:
Please elaborate.

Evil (the MC) always prevails.
Nothing can't stop it.
Even nice kids or adults become monsters after being in contact with Shinnosuke for a while.
Mar 31, 2021 9:25 AM
Dec 2007
Give Clannad/Clannad After Story and Violet Evergarden a shot.

Also if "Your Name" made you cry, why not try out some of Makoto Shinki's other works like 5 Centimeters Per Second and Voice of a Distant Star.
Mar 31, 2021 9:31 AM

Oct 2019
fact that i cried at every single episode of anohana even at funny scenes. idk why that anime means a lot to me. but i also sometimes dont cry at series people say theyre the worst. different things affect different people differently i guess.
Mar 31, 2021 9:32 AM
Jul 2018
alshu said:
PiyushSan said:
Please elaborate.

Nothing can't stop it.
Even nice kids or adults become monsters after being in contact with Shinnosuke for a while.

Are you being sarcastic or something?
Mar 31, 2021 9:35 AM

May 2020
I think that anime (or media in general) that are able to evoke emotions, such as making you cry, without relying on sorrowful scenes / a sad story can be far superior. For example in Koe no Katachi, it wasn't particularly the "sad" moments throughout it, but rather the positive ones, that really moved me, especially the scenes that involved making up between the main duo, or Shouko's mother apologizing - those really moved me to tears.
On another note, anime like 3-gatsu no Lion or Sora yori mo Tooi Basho were also able to do this, because the shows invested into developing its characters, which leads to one not feeling sad (or other emotions) over certain scenes/moments, but rather feel *with* these characters, so I'd really recommend pretty much anyone to watch these, as they're pretty much exceptional in my opinion.
Don't mind me,
just passing by...
Mar 31, 2021 9:37 AM

Jul 2020
Watch Violet Evergarden. Ignore what everyone is saying about watching Clannad. As much as I love Clannad(I actually like it better than Violet Evergarden). Violet Evergarden would fit more for you.

Based on what you said I've come to the conclusion that you prefer beatiful, somewhat sad animes over depressing tear jerkers. Violet Evergarden is a beatiful, somewhat sad anime. So check it out!
I gave up on character of the week since it takes too much thinking. I'll just change my forum pfp to whoever I want every week lol.
Mar 31, 2021 9:43 AM

Aug 2020
Idk why everyone thinks 'A silent voice' is supposed to be sad

Ignore Violet Evergarden, it's boring shit that has the same theme as about thousand other movies and anime

If Clannad AS doesn't make you cry , probably nothing will
01001110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01100111 01101111 01101110 01101110 01100001 00100000 01100111 01101001 01110110 01100101 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01110101 01110000
Mar 31, 2021 9:49 AM

Oct 2019
If you wanna cry you have to watch Clannad anda Clannad After Story .

Which is why I can say certain and no one can convince me otherwise,that I am the happiest girl in the world right now.
Mar 31, 2021 9:58 AM

May 2014
ichigoisbae said:

flinguist said:

You take that back, now! >:(
jk lol <3

To OP and others, I think its whatever you watch first because you're so unprepared for how hard anime can hit. Anohana was my first emotional anime which made me cry, after which i watched Your Name, Your Lie in April, and more and never cried again. It took till I watched A Silent Voice for me to tear up again.

I think you're more likely to cry if you watch an anime without any expectations that it'll make you cry.

LOL

Anohana was the first anime I ever watched (not counting kid stuff). I was almost crying at the end of it. I've quickly forgotten about the plot, the characters, the art but the feeling will always be here. Then again, I was really easily influenced since it was my entry point in anime along with Angel Beats!
Mar 31, 2021 10:05 AM

May 2018
PiyushSan said:
alshu said:

Nothing can't stop it.

If you think long and deep enough even the answer to this question can make you cry.
Mar 31, 2021 10:26 AM
Dec 2017
Eldinis said:

LOL

Anohana was the first anime I ever watched (not counting kid stuff). I was almost crying at the end of it. I've quickly forgotten about the plot, the characters, the art but the feeling will always be here. Then again, I was really easily influenced since it was my entry point in anime along with Angel Beats!

Yeah Anohana just goes from kinda light hearted to kinda heavy extremely smoothly. You're also invested in the backstory that isn't truly revealed till much later in the anime.

Thanks for reminding me about Angel Beats. I forgot about that anime and though I didn't cry watching it, it was still a good watch. I kinda expected more of the same from Jun Maeda's recent anime "The Day I Became a God" and was a little let down.
Mar 31, 2021 10:39 AM
Mar 2019
I would think that if you have spoilers for a series you may be less likely to feel as emotional or cry because you're more prepared and it doesn't hit you as hard in the moment. So if you're looking to feel emotional try your best at avoiding spoilers or pick series you don't know much about beforehand.
Maybe for you, even just going into a series with the expectation that its "a very sad/tragic story" and "will make you cry" could be part of why you're not feeling the impact of a story when experiencing it the first time. Its a tough spot because I'd think you might want recommendations for impactful or emotional series but that might just taint your experience when you go to watch them.

Another part could be storytelling/writing styles, or the themes explored? What's making an impact on you might not be how 'tragic' the events are or how similar you are to the characters experiencing it, hence why series deemed "more sad" aren't effecting you as much as series considered "less sad". It could have to do with the way the story and world are built up and the pacing too.
Similar to what some others might have said, you might be looking for a beautiful experience, but with a twist.

There's an off chance it could just come down to something simpler, for example, the right music and the timing of when to silence the music. In this case, 'Your Name' is known for its beautiful soundtrack.

Its unfortunate but chasing a feeling will only make it harder to catch.
Mar 31, 2021 10:43 AM

Aug 2020
Don't force yourself into crying because then you won't cry. Everyone is different and everyone finds different things sad, if you don't find an anime sad that means that it may not be for you. It should just come naturally.
Mar 31, 2021 10:56 AM
May 2019
Okay tbh I didn't cry while watching any of those famous sad animes, they made me feel sad but not enough to make me cry, the anime that made me cry is Fruit Basket especially Isuzu's backstory because I can relate to her on personal level another anime which made me cry a little bit is Maquia.
Mar 31, 2021 11:07 AM

Jun 2020
Of all that you listed and that I've seen, I didn't cry but I came the closest on Your Name
Mar 31, 2021 3:54 PM
Jul 2020
You might just be sad and depressed ;/
Mar 31, 2021 4:00 PM

May 2020
Try I Want To Eat Your Pancreas or Violet Evergarden
If you want me to prepare a rope for the sake of hanging yourself, forget it. But… If it's a rope for the sake of pulling you up from Hell, no matter how many ropes it takes, I'll prepare them for you. ~Sakata Gintoki
Mar 31, 2021 4:03 PM
Mar 31, 2021 4:03 PM

Aug 2020
Anime known to be sad are the least sad out there. animes that don't focus on making you cry are the ones that focus on what the anime is about with emotional scenes. i didn't cry with a silent voice, but if i did it with one punch man, seriously i did cry with an anime that focuses only in comedy (if someone saw OPM, they will know what scene I'm talking about) and mostly shonen have sad scenes that can make anyone cry (FMA, Naruto and SNK are some examples).
a wise user of MAL said:
Just to clarify, adaptations should absolutely stand on their own
Mar 31, 2021 4:08 PM

Nov 2016
Maybe you're more prone to cry to anime that are more grounded in reality. My Sister Momoko is one of these.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 31, 2021 4:21 PM

Apr 2015
alshu said:
PiyushSan said:

If you think long and deep enough even the answer to this question can make you cry.

That is deep and sadly true. Human Psyche is weird and fascinating.
Mar 31, 2021 8:55 PM

Jan 2020
Everyone cries to different things so don't force it

Mar 31, 2021 11:20 PM

May 2018
SilentVinyl said:
alshu said:

That is deep and sadly true. Human Psyche is weird and fascinating.

I wouldn't call it fascinating, more like totally repulsive...the main reason to be depressed.
Mar 31, 2021 11:23 PM

May 2018
Try reading Mai-chan no Nichijou. The most emotional thing ever.
After reading the final chapter you'll cry and may get crippling depression and lose your will to live.

Mar 31, 2021 11:50 PM

Dec 2020
Neither of These shows in the OP is that Sad.
「――卿ら、私を失望させるな」

「私はすべてを愛している。ゆえにすべてを破壊する」

「総てを全力で愛したい」

Apr 1, 2021 12:40 AM

Jan 2020
Pratham-Otaku said:
Idk Why but I cried in "Your Name" but I didn't cry in "Your lie in April" , "Anohana" , "A Silent Voice"....

"Your name" is not sad story but still and One of the most sad series "Your lie in April" I didn't cry it's not like I am holding back

It always feel likes I am missing something though I watch it with full concentration and it is not the case either that I can't relate... I am really like main character in "Silent Voice" and "Anohana" but still...

I really wanna cry If I don't cry I doesn't feel satisfied, like there is some strange feeling...

I bawled watching Violet Evergarden. Banana Fish can make you feel emotional since it's basically tragedy. The Garden of Words was an emotional one as well.
I sometimes forget to finish my sentences.
Apr 1, 2021 12:52 AM

Mar 2017
I heard fans of The Promised Neverland cried watching the second season.
You gave up your freedom of speech when you clicked Agree to the User Agreement
This is not a public platform.
Apr 1, 2021 12:55 AM
Jul 2018
I think it depends on your mood more than the anime, you will cry when you feel like it
But, maybe watch Nana, it's an emotional roller coaster
Apr 1, 2021 1:09 AM

Oct 2019
Humans beings are not so simple. We are complex creatures. Our crying depends on a lot of variables like the state of mind you are in, the food you eat, the sleep you've been getting, the weather (yes, weird right?), the music/soundtrack, and your more important things in life like family, friends, work etc. And on top of that, sometimes we just feel like crying, even for no reason at all. We don't fully understand our brains yet neurologically and psychologically.
Apr 1, 2021 1:15 AM

Oct 2020
go fap a little , bath , eat and then watch .
it should work
OBAMOS
Apr 1, 2021 9:35 AM

Jul 2020
Try Grave of the Fireflies........
Apr 1, 2021 10:16 AM

Mar 2021
Pratham-Otaku said:

I have never cried when watching an anime. I have gone as far as having a lump in my throat, but I have never actually cried tears. I'm not a heartless bastard or anything, I just don't tend to cry about things.

Shows that try hard very hard to make the viewer cry have zero effect on me. Clannad tried this at every turn, and in the end, I was just rolling my eyes. It always felt that Clannad was trying to manipulate the viewer with it's music and over the top dramatics of it's characters to get people to cry. I have no idea how this works on anybody that isn't a teenager in all honesty.

As for Your Lie in April
Apr 1, 2021 10:26 AM

Dec 2020
Try Grave Of The Fireflies it's the most emotional anime in my opinion
Apr 12, 2021 8:55 PM
Mar 2021
Kierah said:
Try Clannad then Clannad: ~After Story~

It should make you cry, if it fails too then, I guess you're made of steel.

I am not made of steel after completing clannad after story every time I see that flowerfield scene my eyes fill with tear no matter how much I try to control it's not like I cry but there are tears rolling through my eyes
Pratham-OtakuApr 12, 2021 8:59 PM
Apr 13, 2021 5:06 AM
Mar 2021
AnimeLeviathan said:
Watch Violet Evergarden. Ignore what everyone is saying about watching Clannad. As much as I love Clannad(I actually like it better than Violet Evergarden). Violet Evergarden would fit more for you.

Based on what you said I've come to the conclusion that you prefer beatiful, somewhat sad animes over depressing tear jerkers. Violet Evergarden is a beatiful, somewhat sad anime. So check it out!

I watched violet evergarden actually I just completed it try to hard to make you cry but I didn't had a single tear but it was beautiful and great but in CLANNAD I my eyes fill every time I watch that flowerfield scene I didn't cry at Nafisa death or ushio death but that papa really hit me hard
Apr 13, 2021 5:11 AM

Jul 2020
Pratham-Otaku said:
AnimeLeviathan said:

I watched violet evergarden actually I just completed it try to hard to make you cry but I didn't had a single tear but it was beautiful and great but in CLANNAD I my eyes fill every time I watch that flowerfield scene I didn't cry at Nafisa death or ushio death but that papa really hit me hard

Damn. Guess I was wrong then. Anyways, im glad you enjoyed Clannad: After Story.
I gave up on character of the week since it takes too much thinking. I'll just change my forum pfp to whoever I want every week lol.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Interest and hobbies change with time

nishant0 - 9 hours ago

28 by MasterTasuke »»
10 minutes ago

» Things you are jealous of in anime

IpreferEcchi - Apr 20

41 by Ende_uraa »»
10 minutes ago

» Credit cards companies are forcing the Hentai industry

Dije - 11 hours ago

44 by _FRB_ »»
16 minutes ago

Poll: » Bare feet or pantyhoses?

Absurdo_N - 8 hours ago

19 by MasterTasuke »»
20 minutes ago

» Isekai anime are better than any other genre.

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 20

46 by LostSpectre »»
29 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.