Forum Settings
Forums
your name.
Available on Manga Store
New
Mar 31, 2021 8:30 AM

Aug 2019
how did the rating drop this much? what the hell mitsuhabros, how did we let this happen?
it used be like at the top
but now....

F
Mar 31, 2021 9:18 AM
Jul 2018
Because FMA and AoT fans are immature. Them downvoting eachother's anime to oblivion fucked with the score weighting, resulting in a lot other anime at the top to see a slight score reduction. There's also just natural score fluctuation.
Mar 31, 2021 9:20 AM

Jul 2020
Chiribei said:
Because FMA and AoT fans are immature. Them downvoting eachother's anime to oblivion fucked with the score weighting, resulting in literally everything below them dropping.

Or maybe because I thought it was good at best and rated it a 7. Ever think of that? lol
I gave up on character of the week since it takes too much thinking. I'll just change my forum pfp to whoever I want every week lol.
Mar 31, 2021 9:20 AM
Jul 2018
It deserved a lower score tbh.
Mar 31, 2021 9:24 AM
Jul 2018
AnimeLeviathan said:
Chiribei said:
Because FMA and AoT fans are immature. Them downvoting eachother's anime to oblivion fucked with the score weighting, resulting in literally everything below them dropping.

Or maybe because I thought it was good at best and rated it a 7. Ever think of that? lol

As I said, there's also natural score fluctuation from genuine ratings. However, the constant changes in the top anime scores affected the score weighting and caused other anime near the top to see slight decreases because the #1 anime's score is lower than it used to be. That's just how the algorithm they use to weight scores on MAL works, to my knowledge.
Mar 31, 2021 9:36 AM
Aug 2020
Because this film got popular enough for people to get elitist against it. As someone who isn’t that swayed by the opinion of the masses, I can safely say that this film is a masterpiece, but many people heard the glowing reviews and mass of attention it gets and hence found it overrated.
Mar 31, 2021 9:37 AM
Aug 2020
AnimeLeviathan said:
Chiribei said:

No hate, but may I ask what you didn’t like about it?
Mar 31, 2021 9:42 AM

Jul 2020
RoyalGodyssey said:
AnimeLeviathan said:

I just found the movie to be vanilla with nothing really special about it. Kinda felt like a Disney movie plot with the "save the town" shit. It had its moments(Talking about the time-travel plot twists which I thought was cool) but overall found it to be enjoyable but nothing more.

Not just that, but it simply wasn't memorable enough for me to get any higher than a 7. If you ask me about any of my 8's I usually have nothing but good things to say about them and I usually really enjoyed the story.

I gave up on character of the week since it takes too much thinking. I'll just change my forum pfp to whoever I want every week lol.
Mar 31, 2021 9:46 AM
Jul 2018
AnimeLeviathan said:
RoyalGodyssey said:

I just found the movie to be vanilla with nothing really special about it. Kinda felt like a Disney movie plot with the "save the town" shit. It had its moments(Talking about the time-travel plot twists which I thought was cool) but overall found it to be enjoyable but nothing more.

Not just that, but it simply wasn't memorable enough for me to get any higher than a 7. If you ask me about any of my 8's I usually have nothing but good things to say about them and I usually really enjoyed the story.

I dont have a problem with unoriginal shit but events that occurred in the second half of the movie was a bit hard for me to understand and gender bender kind of genre doesn't peak my interest either. I wanted to like it but didn't enjoy it, even the visuals weren't able to satisfy me with the absurd plot and characters.
Mar 31, 2021 9:56 AM
Aug 2020
AnimeLeviathan said:
RoyalGodyssey said:

I guess if you didn’t really connect with it that’s understandable. I tend to give high scores a bit too easy, but IMO this one really deserves a 10. The animation alone was enough to boost any score, but the fact that it has an interesting love story layered over a time-travelling, disaster-preventing body swap which is all really well executed and works naturally really sold me on it. Pair that with the fact that all of the characters (while admittedly a tad generic sometimes) are good and interact well and that the score and general feel are absorbing and atmospheric, I was very comfortable giving this a 10/10 considering how all-round well constructed it is.
Mar 31, 2021 10:03 AM

Nov 2019
Many people started watching anime last year and obviously, you look up the most popular and well-recieved shows to start off. Which I think lead to many having way too high expectations of the film.

Or just getting their opinions persuaded by reviewers, Your Name is a movie you really should go blind into, to get the most enjoyment out of it.

死神

What do you think are the most important things in life? Money, dreams, sympathy towards others...

Yes, they're all important things as well... But the most important thing is responsibility for your own actions.
- Yuichi
Mar 31, 2021 10:10 AM
May 2020
no matter the score i still think it’s one of the best anime movies outhere i personally rated it a 9
Mar 31, 2021 10:15 AM

Jun 2016
It's probably those evil guys from that other famous movie.
Hey @Arin-san what's your take on this?
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Mar 31, 2021 10:54 AM

Oct 2019
Scores/Rating fluctuations? All series lose points eventually, albeit some lose points in a very small percentage. Well, almost all of them. There’s always the untouchable ones.
Regardless of the score, doesn’t change the fact that is a fantastic movie.
Mar 31, 2021 11:25 AM

Jun 2020
Chiribei said:
AnimeLeviathan said:

As I said, there's also natural score fluctuation from genuine ratings. However, the constant changes in the top anime scores affected the score weighting and caused other anime near the top to see slight decreases because the #1 anime's score is lower than it used to be. That's just how the algorithm they use to weight scores on MAL works, to my knowledge.
Then how would you explain A Silent Voice not dropping nearly as much? I think it's because recently people have been feeling like this movie is just overrated
Mar 31, 2021 12:35 PM
Feb 2021
Maybe because it's pretty boring
Mar 31, 2021 4:23 PM
Apr 2019
I think one of the most liked aspects of Your Name is the production quality (don't get me wrong, I love the story too). The detail in the artwork and the soundtrack were both amazing. But I think as time progresses and the overall quality of anime improves, these things will become less unique to this movie. And inevitably the average score will decrease a little bit.

I still give it a 10/10 though :)
Mar 31, 2021 5:02 PM
Jan 2021
It's because the toxic anime casuals of AOT and FMAB fighting over the Number 1 spot, mostly the toxic waste from AOT Rating bombed a lot of Anime but the toxic waste from FMAB is not much different. Not gonna call them Fandom, they're the trash of the community.
Hot_Green_TeaMar 31, 2021 5:06 PM
Mar 31, 2021 7:38 PM
Nov 2020
RoyalGodyssey said:
AnimeLeviathan said:

I guess if you didn’t really connect with it that’s understandable. I tend to give high scores a bit too easy, but IMO this one really deserves a 10. The animation alone was enough to boost any score, but the fact that it has an interesting love story layered over a time-travelling, disaster-preventing body swap which is all really well executed and works naturally really sold me on it. Pair that with the fact that all of the characters (while admittedly a tad generic sometimes) are good and interact well and that the score and general feel are absorbing and atmospheric, I was very comfortable giving this a 10/10 considering how all-round well constructed it is.

Same here, I heard that this was tge best anime movie so naturally I had high expectations. I can just say that this movie blew me away from visuals to soundtrack to story. The story is interesting and I was not prepared for the rollercoaster of emotions. One moment it's tragic, the other there's hope and all build up with tension. I understand that not everyone has the same taste, but I think that it's unfair to call it bad or below average. Like the movie 5 centimeters per second, I didn't connect with it but still can't say it was bad. I get why many people like it and the visuals are good and some characters are interesting but it was just not for me. Everyone has their own taste but calling it bad and stupid is just not rational.

Mar 31, 2021 7:59 PM
Aug 2020
i liked it but to me it was too unrealistic to be a 10/10 idk i like anime i can relate to and i couldn’t relate to this in any way
Apr 1, 2021 3:05 AM
Feb 2020
Hating on Your Name became a trend that's why
Apr 1, 2021 5:58 AM
Dec 2019
I mean it's a great movie but just overrated it's probably not even Shinkai's best work and a lot of people just voted high because of the hype along with the fact that MAL scores fluctuate a lot it's kind of inevitable
Other than that you have to remember there are shows like I want to eat your pancreas Kizumonogatari: Reiketsu, A silent Voice, Tenki no ko, and many more which honestly are all better than your name, but that part is just my own opinion so don't take it too seriously.

On a side note relying on anime websites to look for good shows is kinda stupid, especially considering the largest one has FMA:B as the No:1 rated anime, it's a good anime just not something which deserves to be in the top ten.
Apr 8, 2021 11:19 PM

Jun 2020
Coz this is not just a movie, it's a cultural phenomena. It is easily one of the greatest anime movies ever. And so there are a lot of people who don't like the movie as well coz simply it doesn't suit their taste. Spirited away is the only movie to win an Oscar (or even be nominated at Oscar) and it's not even in the top 5 anime movies here. I also personally think it's overrated. But I can't deny that it's the one of the greatest anime movies. Every great movie is bound to have a lot of haters....
Apr 9, 2021 7:04 AM
Jul 2018
Mr_Srijan said:
Coz this is not just a movie, it's a cultural phenomena. It is easily one of the greatest anime movies ever. And so there are a lot of people who don't like the movie as well coz simply it doesn't suit their taste. Spirited away is the only movie to win an Oscar (or even be nominated at Oscar) and it's not even in the top 5 anime movies here. I also personally think it's overrated. But I can't deny that it's the one of the greatest anime movies. Every great movie is bound to have a lot of haters....

This movie has no haters
Second lowest percentage of one votes (.3%) in top 16, only entry with less is koe no katachi
Virtually no one dislikes this movie, there's just been more people over time who think it's just good and not a masterpiece, like me
There is still a vast majority of people who think this movie is a masterpiece so stop blaming a natural score drop on haters
Apr 9, 2021 7:07 AM

Nov 2019
it dropped 'cause ppl realized there's much better stuff out there

BOMB BOMB BAKUDAN

Apr 9, 2021 7:09 AM
Jul 2018
mal has become a place for edgelords who don't like romance
Apr 9, 2021 7:22 AM

Jun 2020
Bruh.... I literally said that a lot of people don't like the movie coz it doesn't suit their taste. Do you think everyone who doesn't like the movie is an idiot who would give it a 1? Spirited away has 0.1% people giving it a 1. And it is even lower than this. Why do you think is that when it is the only movie to have won an Oscar till now? Coz there are a lot of people who don't think the movie is that good. But my man, you are more busy in focusing on one very common line that I used in the end rather than focusing on what I explained in that post and then go on to say the same thing that I said. The only difference is that you don't consider Your Name a masterpiece while I do. So stop acting like an idiot and at least read properly before you comment on something.
Apr 12, 2021 6:28 AM
Jul 2018
Chiribei said:
Because FMA and AoT fans are immature. Them downvoting eachother's anime to oblivion fucked with the score weighting, resulting in a lot other anime at the top to see a slight score reduction. There's also just natural score fluctuation.

Jokes on you
Your Name's ratings started to going down after MAL started to block bot votes
Apr 12, 2021 10:47 AM

Aug 2016
XuWan said:
mal has become a place for edgelords who don't like romance
Yes that explains its obscenely high mean score.
Apr 12, 2021 2:36 PM
Jul 2018
Rhhdaiw said:
Chiribei said:

Jokes on you

I've been seeing it drop (along with every other top anime below FMAB and AOT S4) during the stupid "war" they had. Even Steins;Gate and HxH were hit by it.
Apr 12, 2021 2:44 PM

Oct 2020
i remember the anime being 9.25 at one point
# of bans: 4

@NoLiferSoul is an S+ tier MAL Staff member

@anime-prime and @AlexPaulLEWZ are S tier

Rest are mid
Apr 12, 2021 5:17 PM
Jul 2018
Chiribei said:
Rhhdaiw said:

Jokes on you

I've been seeing it drop (along with every other top anime below FMAB and AOT S4) during the stupid "war" they had. Even Steins;Gate and HxH were hit by it.

Steins Gate Gintama 4 and HxH constantly lose 0.01 rating once in every 5-6 months since the antibot system
It is not about the toxic fanbases
Your Name was at 9.13-9.15 for so long and when they started to block bot votes it started to lose 0.01~ rating once in a month
Your name's rating would be 8.94 much earlier if there was an antibot system since 2016
Because it protected its 9.10+ score thanks to the bot votes
The only shows that lost score due to toxic fanbases are Aot season 4 and Fmab
And both of them deserves it
Karma is a bitch
Apr 13, 2021 11:38 AM
May 2018
I really liked this movie. I wouldn't call it a masterpiece, but it's not bad either. It's actually pretty good, my only complain is a few aspects of the story that don't make sense, but nothing that deserves a low score. It's a 9 for me.

There was a "war" between AOT and FMA fans?

That is so silly, but oh well...
Apr 24, 2021 10:00 PM

Jun 2020
Because it doesn't deserve a high score
HUNTER X HUNTER HAS RETURNED!!!!!!!
Apr 24, 2021 10:04 PM

Jan 2020
Because it didn't age well with time it seems like

Apr 25, 2021 3:10 PM

Jan 2020
It doesn't deserve nowhere near the rating it has lmao.
Apr 26, 2021 2:07 AM
Mar 2016
I know there is a lot of people that doesn't know anything about direction, storyboards, characters development, etc. But I didnt know almost everyone will be here in this post.

This movie is a masterpiece, even in Japan they think that (I remember talking about this when I went to Japan 2 years ago with an old friend from Kanagawa), but sadly in Anime/manga world in western there is always this "smart people" that double check things trying to go against the river when this is just a movie with a perfect rythm to enjoy all the events that are coming through.

In any case, this deserves a 9,5 at least. Is the best anime movie ever, no Akira, no Ghost in the shell. This one is a perfect score in every field especially because you can recommend it to someone that have never watched anime and could be hooked into it.
Apr 30, 2021 10:04 AM

Aug 2020
Well the movie is simply no better then a 8/10, a 7/10 for me though. The fact it got there in the first place is the more shocking thing to me.
clannad is the greatest piece of fiction to ever exist.
Apr 30, 2021 11:24 PM

Jul 2020
AnimeLeviathan said:
Chiribei said:

I think the same. Guess its very convenient to blame aot and fmab whenever the score drops. If it were really due to down voting then why didn't knk score drop so much? I guess people are starting to realise that your name is a just a ''good'' movie at best. Nothing more than a 7
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 2, 2021 4:22 AM

Jun 2020
StrawHatTitan said:
AnimeLeviathan said:

I think the same. Guess its very convenient to blame aot and fmab whenever the score drops. If it were really due to down voting then why didn't knk score drop so much? I guess people are starting to realise that your name is a just a ''good'' movie at best. Nothing more than a 7
well yeah for me the movie is around 7,5. anyway, fmab and aot only spam bad scores on top 5, top 10 maximum, there is no reason to score low in top 20 lmao
May 9, 2021 3:55 PM
Nov 2019
Because anime watchers are usually loners/losers/social outcasts and since most of them can relate to the main character from your Silent Voice, they bombarded the shit out Your Name so that it would be rated higher. Your Name's story is objectively better, the characters are way more likable, and the soundtrack/art are also a tad bit better. My friends who don't watch anime, watched both movies - they loved Your Name and thought Silent Voice was kinda cringe, weird, and characters were insufferable. On MAL Your Silent Voice is rated higher, but if you ask and look anywhere else that isn't filled solely with anime fans, you'll see that Your Name is rated higher and more well liked.
May 10, 2021 3:07 AM

Apr 2020
OnAThursday said:
Because anime watchers are usually loners/losers/social outcasts and since most of them can relate to the main character from your Silent Voice, they bombarded the shit out Your Name so that it would be rated higher. Your Name's story is objectively better, the characters are way more likable, and the soundtrack/art are also a tad bit better. My friends who don't watch anime, watched both movies - they loved Your Name and thought Silent Voice was kinda cringe, weird, and characters were insufferable. On MAL Your Silent Voice is rated higher, but if you ask and look anywhere else that isn't filled solely with anime fans, you'll see that Your Name is rated higher and more well liked.

Well damn who hurt you lol. Honestly I loved both movies, but to make lies and improperly criticize a movie on behalf of making your preferred movie stand out more is honestly not okay. Also, calling anime watchers lonely, losers, and social outcasts is a bit too much, I just had to point this out to you since you sounded a bit obvious that your offended at how A Silent voice is rated higher than Your Name. Let people have their preferences and do not spout false information pls? ^^
“You can’t always hold on to the things that are important. By letting them go we gain something else.” – Kunio Yaobi
May 18, 2021 5:32 PM
Jul 2018
Because it's very average?
May 20, 2021 11:38 AM

Nov 2013
It never deserved the top spot. Maybe people are realizing it's all just shiny colors but no substance?
You all need to watch Nami.

May 21, 2021 7:36 AM
Feb 2017
Apparently Your Name was never even that good. Idk. Maybe I just had newbie bias because I really liked it. 10/10 liked it
It's Aiko!!!!
May 21, 2021 7:44 AM

Dec 2020
Uh, so Your Name should be stabled as a 9.3+?
"no one really laughs on the internet, they just go 'hM' and type '𝕃𝕄𝔸𝕆𝔸𝕆𝕄𝔸𝕆𝔸'."

I'm Level 69 on Mal Badges. View My Badges.

May 24, 2021 1:11 AM

May 2017
dunno. ive been hearing around that this movie is trash. i personnaly loved it and watched it like 4 times both dub sub and in spanish. cried 3 times. dunnow why people say its bad. i loved it alot alot. maybe as ive seen in the comments, because people have seen it as good, some people wanna be based or make it as if they arent some sheep and they became absolute contrarians and dumbasses.

in my opinion, fuck the quality, enjoy the show. feel it. people be out there tryna be based and stuff. just flippin be honest. did u like it? did u not? its all fair game.

(i have a sneaking suspicion what i just typed makes straight up no sense but im too tired to rewrite it)

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kimi no Na wa. Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

checkdafool - Jul 3, 2016

1387 by Hphone »»
Apr 23, 4:51 AM

» The only couple that could say they’ve been in each others shoes

Angglio_1 - Apr 9

19 by Fenyy »»
Apr 14, 9:03 AM

» Something I found about Makoto Shinkai's other work

past_feelings - Apr 10

36 by TheSkilledSnake »»
Apr 13, 1:25 PM

» Is Your Name the best and worst thing to happen for Makoto Shinkai?

JuliusKingsley0 - Dec 29, 2023

47 by taleco »»
Jan 2, 1:22 PM

» Happy birthday to you two..

Suka-7777-Suka - Nov 30, 2023

26 by apkaptn1 »»
Jan 2, 10:20 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.