Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 31, 2021 8:15 AM

Oct 2015
Some people dismiss certain shows / movies because they think they are "pretentious".

This is a definition that may vary from person to person which causes it to become a buzzword in some cases, unfortunately.

From my perspective, something can't be pretentious if it's genuinely trying to convey a message through its out-of-the-norm storytelling or structure in an effective way.

That means that if someone is able to dissect an anime's messages because the story is told in such a planned out way (for example, through foreshadowing and theme consistency), then it's probably unfair to dismiss it as being "pretentious" without giving it a second look at least.

For some practical examples, when I watched Lain for the first time a few years ago, I honestly thought to myself that some scenes were basically there just "for show" or to "look smart", but I'm rewatching it now and analysing each frame basically along with two friends, and the amount of content I got from three 20-minutes episodes baffled me - it's really something else.

Many of Ikuhara's works are also many times dismissed as dumb or over complicated due to their "overuse" of symbolism and repetitive scenes, but to me it's fascinating to get in the mind of the creator to understand why he did what he did.

Anyway, I'd like to know your perspetives on this matter!
Is there an anime you thought it was trying too hard to impress but to no avail? Or you think of those cases as you simply not being in the mood to look deeper into it?

EDIT: Video made after checking all the replies

NostalgikApr 19, 2021 7:35 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 31, 2021 8:27 AM
Jul 2018
im pretty sure most people who call anime "pretentious" just dont understand it. although there are some shows like classroom of the elite that really are
Mar 31, 2021 8:37 AM
Jul 2018
Classroom of the Elite. It was quite entertaining as a high-school anime but the scenes that were supposed to be "deep" made me cringe so hard.

I somewhat feel the same with movies like 5 Centimeters Per Second, Spirited Away, Your Name and Weathering With You. But on a second thought, I think I wasn't in a really great mood when I watched them.
Mar 31, 2021 8:37 AM

Feb 2020
spaesu said:
im pretty sure most people who call anime "pretentious" just dont understand it. although there are some shows like classroom of the elite that really are

I'm neutral here, but by ur logic, couldn't you be not understanding it? It's kinda hypocritical to label ppl that use the work pretentious as something, then go on to call smthn pretentious.
Please sign up for MangAlert! It's a little project I made that I'd really like to see the light of day and some users.

MangAlert! (please sign up!)
GitHub Repo (please star!)
Mar 31, 2021 8:40 AM

May 2009
I don't think I've ever used this term to describe a show.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Mar 31, 2021 8:41 AM

Sep 2018
spaesu said:

I'm not sure that pretentious = too complex, because on the contrary I've been reading tons of reviews calling Wonder Egg Priority pretentious because it shoves every message in your face without subtlety.
Mar 31, 2021 8:44 AM

Dec 2018
Maybe I’m just stupid but I honestly don’t understand how media can be pretentious. Can the creators, scriptwriters and directors be pretentious? Yeah, but I find it hard understand how their pretentiousness is translated to actual books, films, and anime. I guess I’ve always viewed it as a word to describe someone’s behaviour.
Mar 31, 2021 8:46 AM

Sep 2018
An anime is pretentious when the author tries to shove down my throat a theme(for instance) acting like it's deep, when in reality it's just cheap and worthless trash.
Mar 31, 2021 8:47 AM

Oct 2018
An ambitious anime that I do not like.
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
Mar 31, 2021 8:51 AM

Jan 2018
I'm still waiting for the day where this critique actually means something.
Ironically people pretending like this is an actual critique in itself is propably the only form of pretending in this
Mar 31, 2021 8:51 AM

Aug 2013
For me pretentiousness is the very definition of try-hard. Sometimes it might not even be bad, just an idea that the author took too far and out of their own reach. Sometimes it might be trying to probe an issue and idea they clearly don't understand or know how to tackle; or worse, that they do understand, but they think it's so ingenious that they need to get out their way to explain it to our lesser viewer minds.

But frankly, I don't see that much pretension in anime and manga, although I haven't seen many of the ones that are usually labelled like that. The closest thing I can think of is Psycho-Pass with its constant literally allusions that seem rather unnecessary at times and Bunny Girl with its Wikipedia based physics, and some seinen manga like Homunculus. Even things that are usually called pretentious like Evangelion or Tatami Galaxy are just called like that because of the obnoxious fans and not because of the anime itself.
Mar 31, 2021 8:54 AM
Feb 2020
pretentious anime is an anime that pretending to be what it want to be,anime that pretending to be deep,complex,etc.the recent one there is jaku chara tomozaki for example.

the one that usually easy to find is the one that pretend to be deep,edgy,the mc usually some "oh cool edgy quiet" or the show full of shock value just for the sake of it,nowadays even "fantasy" show have the same problem,theres many that pretending to be one only end up to be like those trash isekai.

too bad anime community/fans is full of otaku/weeb that love pretentious show so much as long as well like i said before "its cool and amazing to self insert too for their weeb wish fulfillment".
Mar 31, 2021 9:15 AM

Nov 2008
Revolutionary Girl Utena is the most pretentious anime I've ever watched...it annoys me to no end...but Shigatsu Wa Kimi No Uso is REALLY up there. xD fourteen-year-olds don't talk or think like this.

Here's a bonus:

Pretentious af movie: Bladerunner. Holy crap, do I hate this thing. "ASK ME WHAT THIS MEANS. I'M SO DEEP!!!!" lol

Pretentious directors: M. Night Shyamalan. Like try watching 'Lady in the Water'. Lmao

Pretentious authors: V.C. Andrews and Stephanie Meyers

Pretentious cartoon character: Brian Griffin. Man, you wanna smack him sometimes. xD At least Stewie puts him in his place.
ChiibiMar 31, 2021 9:27 AM

Mar 31, 2021 9:22 AM
Jul 2018
The anime themselves aren't pretentious, but the reviewers and fans can be.
Perfect example: Ergo Proxy.

I'm sorry, people. EP is 100% skin-deep. It is not "highbrow", by any stretch of the imagination. It won't "expand your mind" or teach you anything of real value.
It is obtuse at times, sure, but that's essentially where it stops.

There is more to learn from a single episode of Aria (a simple, unassuming iyashikei) than Ergo Proxy.
The presentation and atmosphere are second-to-none, and for that I absolutely love Ergo as much as anyone else, but please stop the bullcrap. No one's buying it.
removed-userMar 31, 2021 9:50 AM
Mar 31, 2021 9:40 AM

Nov 2019
I personally don't like labeling any form of art as pretentious to avoid downplaying the ambition behind it. Even if I think its delivery is heavy handed or half baked I'm not going to do so because I didn't enjoy it an arbitrary amount. I only care how much I enjoy what I'm seeing rather than how deep or thought provoking its "trying" to be. It either hits differently or it doesn't. It isn't that deep.
SignsOfSuicideMar 31, 2021 9:56 AM
Don't let others ruin things for you. Even if a toxic fan pisses in your cereal, you could just get another bowl of cereal.
My Anime List - My Manga List
Mar 31, 2021 9:44 AM

Apr 2020
Hah, i totaly agree with

Taka-TIN-Baguette-Man above me.

Ergo Proxy is the ONE everyone is looking for.
There is hardly a greater pseudo intellectual grit than this anime. I don't hate him and would even look at him a second time.

However, the title did almost everything it could do wrong.
Mar 31, 2021 9:45 AM

Apr 2020
Anime that uses already existing philosophical quotes and people rather than forming it on their own. Like ergo proxy and psycho pass, altho i liked both.

ergo proxy uses the saying, "i think therefore i am," hamlet, and more
psycho pass uses a bunch of famous smart people quotes.

thats why berserk is not pretentious, it adds none of that but manages to build a philosophical atmosphere around it
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 31, 2021 9:49 AM

Jan 2020
I agree with your SEL take. I watched it quite a while ago and it was a surreal yet compelling experience to say the least. Though, I'm pretty sure I didn't understand everything, so I'll rewatch it sometime in the future.

OT: Gekidol maybe?
IrrelevantGuyMar 31, 2021 9:53 AM
Mar 31, 2021 10:10 AM
Apr 2017
Show that I personally feel try to scream LOOK AT ME IM SO ARTISTIC AND DEEP when it's doubtful whether they're one, let alone both.

While I like shinkai's works just fine (and by fine I mean, 7 at max), byousoku 5 cm was unfathomably irritating by that very "omg I'm so clever because I'm deep and artistic" shite. I still have no idea how I was able to watch all of it without just chucking it in the bin halfway through.

But the perfect example is cossette no shouzou. Bloody hell if there's a "pointless shite for pointless shite's sake" anime, it's that.

I wasn't particularly miffed by ergo proxy myself, but that's because my major issue with it was its pacing, which is by far and away the worst of any anime I've ever watched.
"The problem with defining even an aspect of your personality by something that you like, is that criticism of that product appears to you to be criticism of you personally. I find it to be a very harmful attitude, [...] you can't rationally discuss a product because you've started to define yourself by its very existence."

John Bain
Mar 31, 2021 10:12 AM

Dec 2017
For me: Yuri Kuma Arashi and Psycho Pass

Mar 31, 2021 10:16 AM

Apr 2019
AquamarineNT said:
For me: Yuri Kuma Arashi and Psycho Pass
Yuri Kuma Arashi isn't, I love that show.

But hell yes, Psycho-Pass is the epitome of pretentious wannabe smart. Just wanted to suggest it myself but I see I'm not alone here. Rationale: Psycho-Pass' writers consider quoting smart people makes them look smart too. But all they do is to admit they are too dumb to convey their message in an acutual story with dialog they actually wrote themselves. And I won't even ask for visual story telling. They are not able to write their OWN exposition dump even, I can't expect miracles.

Mar 31, 2021 10:21 AM

Aug 2013
Chiibi said:

Pretentious af movie: Bladerunner. Holy crap, do I hate this thing. "ASK ME WHAT THIS MEANS. I'M SO DEEP!!!!" lol

Blade Runner is the very opposite of pretentious, though. It's a watered down version of the novel (that's not overtly complex to begin with) that got a bit confusing because of the questionable editing in virtually all existing versions and some weird narrative decisions. There's no deep meaning to it, it's basically "robots have emotions and that's sad, now look at my cool flying car!". And I say that as a fan of the movie.

Now Blade Runner 2049, THAT'S pretentious. Some of the dialogue in that movie made me cringe.
Satyr_iconMar 31, 2021 10:25 AM
Mar 31, 2021 11:00 AM

Nov 2008
Satyr_icon said:
Chiibi said:

Blade Runner is the very opposite of pretentious, though. It's a watered down version of the novel (that's not overtly complex to begin with) that got a bit confusing because of the questionable editing in virtually all existing versions and some weird narrative decisions. There's no deep meaning to it, it's basically "robots have emotions and that's sad, now look at my cool flying car!". And I say that as a fan of the movie.

Now Blade Runner 2049, THAT'S pretentious. Some of the dialogue in that movie made me cringe.

I thought the direction of the 80s movie was pretentious...as well as the dialogue and acting...but if you're a fan, I respect your view. xD didn't see the new one lol

Mar 31, 2021 11:09 AM

Jun 2020
Watching Neon Genesis Evangelion, I'm starting to understand why people call it pretentious. It's getting so confusing so I guess some people think they're very smart if they can piece it together
Mar 31, 2021 11:13 AM

Aug 2017
For me it was Psycho Pass.

One of the antagonist is way too smug. Looking at you Shogo Makishima.

This man is a literature/english buff. So he would try to play around his knowledge of the medium to sound smart and deep. But he is so full of himself. Yet he's too charismatic and selfish that I can't help but love the guy.

Mar 31, 2021 11:26 AM

Feb 2021
Bunny girl senpai, most of the theories mentioned are useless when you realise it sells itself as a dumb waifubait anime.
Mar 31, 2021 11:26 AM
Jul 2018
Yep, agree with OP on most Ikuhara shows. I haven't seen Utena which is considered his magnum opus. So, no comment on him. I think the last thing I watched from him was Sarazanmai so, yeah, that was a thing...
Mar 31, 2021 11:32 AM

Feb 2016
Chiibi said:
Pretentious cartoon character: Brian Griffin. Man, you wanna smack him sometimes. xD At least Stewie puts him in his place.

Quagmire also put him in his place, comparing him to Holden Caulfield from The Catcher in the Rye.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVFp8KTEw-k

Satyr_icon said:
Blade Runner is the very opposite of pretentious, though. It's a watered down version of the novel

Though I have not read that particular novel, I would say the author's other works are pretentious.
その目だれの目?
Mar 31, 2021 11:35 AM

Apr 2019
Satyr_icon said:
The closest thing I can think of is Psycho-Pass with its constant literally allusions that seem rather unnecessary at times and Bunny Girl with its Wikipedia based physics
May I ask why you rate Psycho-Pass 9/10 then? Is that owed to objectivity?

Mar 31, 2021 11:39 AM

Jan 2018
Good to see that nothing changed.
Still waiting for the day of anyone making a valid point after dismissing something as pretentious
Mar 31, 2021 11:41 AM

Aug 2018
There is no such thing as a pretentious anime and people who call anime pretentious cannot think of a proper criticism
_______I like rocks__
Mar 31, 2021 12:18 PM

Aug 2013
Lucifrost said:
Though I have not read that particular novel, I would say the author's other works are pretentious.

Yeah, by 'watered down' I didn't really mean as a bad thing, just different, as I liked the movie better. I enjoyed the mind game in the book and stuff like the Mood Organ, but the more 'philosophical' parts of it really are...I wouldn't say pretentious, just dull. His writing style got on my nerves as well. I think the one thing I liked better in the book was Deckard himself which felt more human and interesting.
Not worth a read though, Neuromancer and Snow Crash are far better reads.
inim said:

Just because it's pretentious doesn't mean it's bad. The anime is still fun.
Mar 31, 2021 12:25 PM

Apr 2019
Satyr_icon said:
inim said:
Just because it's pretentious doesn't mean it's bad. The anime is still fun.
I guess we must agree to disagree here. Being pretentious is among the cardinal sins of writing. And for Psycho-Pass, story, writing, and characters are far below average. Without the production values, this would be a 2/10 to me - trash grade.

Mar 31, 2021 12:40 PM

Aug 2013
inim said:
I guess we must agree to disagree here. Being pretentious is among the cardinal sins of writing. And for Psycho-Pass, story, writing, and characters are far below average. Without the production values, this would be a 2/10 to me - trash grade.

It depends on the amount of pretentiousness imo. The only real pretentious thing about Psycho-Pass were the random literature quotes that didn't amount to much. Apart from that, it was just a fun and well-produced cyberpunk adventure.
Mar 31, 2021 12:52 PM

Apr 2019
Satyr_icon said:
inim said:

It depends on the amount of pretentiousness imo. The only real pretentious thing about Psycho-Pass were the random literature quotes that didn't amount to much. Apart from that, it was just a fun and well-produced cyberpunk adventure.
Well, "only" ... to me it completely destroys the show's enjoyment to cringe every other scene. I really had to force myself trough it. I'm a big cyberpunk genre fan troughout different media types (movie, book, anime) and this is one of the worst mainstream offerings, sorry. Beside the horrible quotes, it's also the shounen wish-fulfillment MC, who has the depth and charisma of a wet blanket. Another Wunderkind in command of adults by the grace of an ridiculously forced plot convenience and lazy writing. She also literally has a built-in plot armor, guns do not shoot at her. The villains are evil because they they can. And do villain things like meat sculptures, because the viewers want edge and the authors seem to think they are stupid so they better rub it into their faces. And so on and so forth.

Psycho-pass is a story a 12 year old will produce when tasked to write something adult. Utter shounen trash and a disgrace of the cyberpunk genre. Verdict: Premise - good. Animation and art - above average. Writing - 100% trash. Characters - below average. Enjoyment - none. Overall: Below average.
inimMar 31, 2021 1:14 PM

Mar 31, 2021 2:39 PM

Mar 2021
Lepru said:
An anime is pretentious when the author tries to shove down my throat a theme(for instance) acting like it's deep, when in reality it's just cheap and worthless trash.

Basically how I feel about Clannad. The drama felt very pretentious. It never felt deserved, they would just shove that dramatic music in and have the girls crying about something pathetic.
Mar 31, 2021 8:53 PM

Jan 2020
I think the final season of oregairu gave off those vibes

Mar 31, 2021 10:23 PM

Feb 2021
Hold up, Blade Runner 2049 is the greatest film of the century and if you don't think so you clearly aren't pretentious enough.
Mar 31, 2021 10:58 PM

Feb 2021
Stuff try so hard to be political e.g. AOT are pretentious to me. I am fine with it most of the time.
Mar 31, 2021 11:03 PM

Jun 2017
i don't THINK i've ever called an anime pretentious
if it doesn't hold up then it just doesn't hold up, narrative failed, oh well

i mean like, tf why you calling dramas 'pretentious'?

they try to make you feel something, it fails making you feel, it's gotta be pretentious lmao, shouldn't have tried
Apr 1, 2021 3:53 AM

Apr 2017
Personally, I don't really use that word.

When I judge an anime in this regard, its either a) there was an actual theme/explorational concept or b) there was not.

In the case of b), there are subcases of I) the staff knows and don't take their own show too seriously or II) they don't and write some vague philosophical dialogue that ultimately doesn't get demonstrated by the events of the plot.

In the case of II) sometimes, it is x) true and sometimes its y) false.

However, the fact that we are at b) already makes me take off 2 points from an anime out of 10; it's only fair to the works that are case a). II) does not always bother me but sometimes when it's complete bullshit I may make a note of it, but its rare. Whether its x) or y) doesn't normally matter, though I'm more likely to complain if it's y).
There's no inherent right or wrong in this universe, but when we think with emotions rather than logic, we make things so.
Apr 1, 2021 4:00 AM

Aug 2018
I dislike using pretentious to describe a show because I feel like it's quite a weak description. It doesn't say anything about the show for me, and either mean that the person watching it didn't understand it, or just didn't enjoy it, or that it had some massive flaw, which I did not get find out because the only description was 'pretentious'. Of course, I believe the word pretentious can be used, but also that you must explain why you are using it, and reasons for doing so.

To me, a pretentious anime is an anime which attempts to be intellectual, and uses that as a shield to defend having bad animation and/or writing.
Apr 1, 2021 4:18 AM
Jul 2018
I don't think that it's a good word to describe a show. Although it's kinda pretentious when a show pretends to be something that it's not in reality. In a sense that, it tries hard to be something, like suddenly becoming more darker but actually laughable or inspirational but only offers half-hearted lessons.
Apr 1, 2021 4:22 AM

May 2020
I just use the word sucks, decent, and good anime, never use pretentious.
Apr 1, 2021 4:33 AM

Jul 2016
I find the less amount of people who watch the series in question the more pretentious it gets.
Apr 2, 2021 3:39 PM

Oct 2015
Nirinbo said:
spaesu said:

I'm not sure that pretentious = too complex, because on the contrary I've been reading tons of reviews calling Wonder Egg Priority pretentious because it shoves every message in your face without subtlety.
I would say it's weird for someone to call something pretentious for shoving its themes in their face. It's usually the opposite: being too vague and / or trying to get its point across in a very roundabout way.

Regarding Wonder Egg, though, I'd say while its themes are pretty straightforward and easy to understand, it leaves many things open for interpretation and rewards people who look deeper into it.
Apr 2, 2021 3:47 PM
Jan 2021
People who say that SEL is pretentious have the IQ of a toddler.

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 2, 2021 3:49 PM

May 2019
Nostalgik said:
Some people dismiss certain shows / movies because they think they are "pretentious".

This is a definition that may vary from person to person which causes it to become a buzzword in some cases, unfortunately.

From my perspective, something can't be pretentious if it's genuinely trying to convey a message through its out-of-the-norm storytelling or structure in an effective way.

That means that if someone is able to dissect an anime's messages because the story is told in such a planned out way (for example, through foreshadowing and theme consistency), then it's probably unfair to dismiss it as being "pretentious" without giving it a second look at least.

For some practical examples, when I watched Lain for the first time a few years ago, I honestly thought to myself that some scenes were basically there just "for show" or to "look smart", but I'm rewatching it now and analysing each frame basically along with two friends, and the amount of content I got from three 20-minutes episodes baffled me - it's really something else.

Many of Ikuhara's works are also many times dismissed as dumb or over complicated due to their "overuse" of symbolism and repetitive scenes, but to me it's fascinating to get in the mind of the creator to understand why he did what he did.

Anyway, I'd like to know your perspetives on this matter!
Is there an anime you thought it was trying too hard to impress but to no avail? Or you think of those cases as you simply not being in the mood to look deeper into it?

You mean "cult" shows?

Anyways, compared to Cinema, anime IS NOT pretentious, it is so rare that can't even be considered.

What we can say for sure is that Anime have to deal with lots of Pretentious Fans who try to argue that their taste is the most absolute superior thing ever.

Poor monogatari series, it is one of their favorite victims.
Apr 2, 2021 3:51 PM

Oct 2015
GreatAide said:
i don't THINK i've ever called an anime pretentious
if it doesn't hold up then it just doesn't hold up, narrative failed, oh well

i mean like, tf why you calling dramas 'pretentious'?

they try to make you feel something, it fails making you feel, it's gotta be pretentious lmao, shouldn't have tried
That's a great point. I guess when some people say that a drama was "too forced" or "shoved in your face", then that might be a variation of calling it pretentious.

I think dramas suffer a bit more than usual from subjectivity from person to person, much like comedies. Like, can a comedy be "pretentious" when it's trying to make you laugh, but it fails? Much like with dramas, I think what you said still applies to comedies: just because its joke didn't land for you, why would that make it pretentious?

Anyhow, every case is unique, and in a conversation I might accept someone calling something pretentious if it's well justified, but in those cases, as you mentioned, welp, it didn't hold up to what it was trying to do.
Apr 2, 2021 3:53 PM

Mar 2018
Wonder egg priority. honestly I think pretentious anime are quite rare and it’s the fanbase that are usually the pretentious ones
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - 11 hours ago

25 by Kdog1998 »»
13 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

75 by L0bsterman »»
20 minutes ago

» Did you know that anime is amazing?

KryzakamiHrybami - Yesterday

21 by L0bsterman »»
22 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

117 by Kdog1998 »»
25 minutes ago

» Post the Last Anime Items you bought ( 1 2 )

SpeedyAlchemist - Mar 10

69 by MasterTasuke »»
51 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.