Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 30, 2021 9:44 AM

Jul 2019
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This movie is way better than I thought it would be wow.

The amination is p good for its time too. Kamikaze Douga doing a good job with this, even for a studio like them .-.

I liked the concept of wanting to reach the outside world, a somewhat deep execution to go with it, makes it better I guess. Aki is a good character in prevailing towards that too, sad sad experiences he had to go through tho.

8/10
Mar 30, 2021 6:38 PM
Jun 2020
Animation looks like a video game cutscene from 8 years ago
Mar 31, 2021 11:51 PM

Sep 2020
NextUniverse said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.

The amination is p good for its time too. Kamikaze Douga doing a good job with this, even for a studio like them .-.

I liked the concept of wanting to reach the outside world, a somewhat deep execution to go with it, makes it better I guess. Aki is a good character in prevailing towards that too, sad sad experiences he had to go through tho.

8/10
It's not that Old though, came out only in 2017

Agree with the animation part, it was really good
Apr 3, 2021 3:52 AM
Jul 2018
It was a decent movie with some great moments. Animation looked amazing with those various animation styles put into it.It could have been a better film if it was shorter to tightly pack the story it presented in this 45 min or could have been longer to add more stuff. Overall 7/10
Apr 4, 2021 1:55 PM

May 2018
Man, so their suits were just to protect them from the deadly ash , it it also contains liquid that's already their main lifeline????
Apr 4, 2021 8:49 PM
Oct 2013
JujutsuKite said:
NextUniverse said:

8/10

It's not a matter of being old or not, back in 2017 CGI was still being toyed with in the anime Industry therefore could be seen as very lacking in many areas especially how they handled lighting with the CGI models and such. But this movie did it brilliantly. But yeah I genuinely loved this movie. I truly hope people find it now that it's easier accessible for the western audiences. It's a shame it took this long to get a sub.
Apr 8, 2021 6:46 AM

Sep 2020
kidomaro said:
JujutsuKite said:

It's not a matter of being old or not, back in 2017 CGI was still being toyed with in the anime Industry therefore could be seen as very lacking in many areas especially how they handled lighting with the CGI models and such. But this movie did it brilliantly. But yeah I genuinely loved this movie. I truly hope people find it now that it's easier accessible for the western audiences. It's a shame it took this long to get a sub.
I mean we got Land of the lustrous the same year but yeah, I get it what you mean, this movie had really good cgi which was definitely rare to see back then

Yeah, it sure took its time, ngl I thought we won't ever see this subbed but bless the subbers. I put it in my favourite list, maybe that could make atleast one or more ppl who come across my profile watch it lol
Apr 9, 2021 10:47 AM
Oct 2013
JujutsuKite said:
kidomaro said:
I mean we got Land of the lustrous the same year but yeah, I get it what you mean, this movie had really good cgi which was definitely rare to see back then

Yeah, it sure took its time, ngl I thought we won't ever see this subbed but bless the subbers. I put it in my favourite list, maybe that could make atleast one or more ppl who come across my profile watch it lol
Well yeah but Land of the Lustrous is an exception, Studio Orange back then may not have been producing their own shows much but they were known for helping studio create CGI backgrounds/CGI shots so they were well established which just got better when they were able to produce their own shows. I didn't quite add it to my favorites although I have it listed on my profile alongside another show which are just 2 shows which imo are underappreciated for what they are, so I'm in the same boat! Hopefully some content creator watches it and makes some sort of video on it to give it the popularity that it needs.
Apr 10, 2021 12:13 PM
Dec 2015
Does anyone know where to find the OST for this? I've tried looking but have had no luck.
Apr 17, 2021 2:39 PM

Feb 2015
I wish we knew something more about the "illness" people were commonly afflicted with. My assumption is that it's just their general health being in a very bad state and more easily degrading because of how and where they're forced to live in. I also wish we could see Aki return to the town and use the outlines Fuyu prepared to make a new picture and show others to cheer them up or use as a memento for all the time they've spent together.
I'm watching anime since 2012. I also play games, sometimes.

Don't bother me if you want to 'become friends' or things like that.
It's tiresome. I know you just want to collect some meaningless numbers.
Thought: How many people sparked H. Charlotta just for blue pot?
Oct 23, 2021 7:51 PM

May 2012
Pretty interesting concept, it got me curious about the world they live in, how it became like that, if it'll ever change, etc.

The storytelling was a bit tough to follow though, I had a hard time trying to piece together the narrative, and the pacing overall just felt a little bit off.

The CG was alright. Wasn't amazing imo, but I didn't mind it. It did have some really good animation scenes, like when Aki would give Fuyu the colored stones, that felt very fluid and nice to look at.

OST was really good. The vocals were very nice to listen to.
Nov 22, 2021 8:25 AM
Mar 2019
A Really Dark Grey World Portrayed From A Child's View.
What Really Happened? We Don't Find Out The Answer.
I Just Wanted Them To Find A Blue Sky With Birds.
Dreams Do Not Always Come True.

Sep 11, 2022 8:20 AM

Jan 2013
Would've loved a bit more as the short runtime means we don't really get to know the characters.
That said, with the limited time they did have they did do a pretty good job, probably the best they could've.

So I'm guessing the ash isn't actually as deadly or not anymore as Fuyu didn't melt as soon as he was outside.
Great message at the end with the outline and colors interpretation though, sad but sweet ending.

Visuals were good, animation at times not so much.

Solid 7/10, by no means bad but it needed more story.
PrOxAntoSep 11, 2022 9:02 AM
Nov 21, 2022 8:51 PM

Mar 2018
The atmosphere was completely ruined with the 'I'm drowning, it hurts, help me,' dialogue + metaphor. It didn't hide anything, but it felt real up until the guy started monologuing about how he's suffocating, while suffocating. "I know. You want to know about the color of the sky, right?" That, and multiple other things are put in your face as if you can't see past your shoulders. And the bozos showed up again. They functioned well as a plot decline, and there was a feeling of helplessness, but then the subtelty went down the drain. I don't need to see, or hear them to understand the MC is empowered by remembering his friends. "Help me, friends," or some tidbit of dialogue, then he gains courage. That's all that was needed.

I'll be real, I thought the person being lowered into the dung-pit was Aki, and that's definitely better. It felt abrupt, and I liked that. In my opinion, it should've ended soon after Fuyu ruined the painting, if not right after. But if you want an ending with one less death, at least don't ruin it with the worst tropes imaginable. Have Fuyu go searching for Aki, and that's the end. Or he finds his body, and stands up afterwards (with obvious implications), then the end. I don't know.

But excuse my schizo-rambles, I'm really tired. I don't regret watching this, but I do wish it carried the emotions throughout, if not cut the length down. It's a weighted 6 between the first half at 8, and the second at 4.
Apr 15, 1:35 AM

Nov 2012
honestly not that good imo, just average, I feel like it isn't worth the 45 mins...would've maybe worked better as a 15 min short or something
I have a third testicle that gives me psychic powers

More topics from this board

» "Finished Airing?"

Anomisii - Nov 25, 2017

5 by Hakaminah »»
Mar 31, 2021 9:46 AM

» Is it out for viewing yet?

Zerity - Mar 1, 2020

9 by ElqBell »»
Jan 30, 2021 6:35 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.