Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 29, 2021 10:55 AM

Jul 2017
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The boys are back in Masaki's hometown of Oarai, Ibaraki doing the usual surfing stuff, and Masaki's family playing guests...even Rindo, to the surprise of everyone.

Naoya worrying about the live-action Miruru Hollywood adaptation, and Yuta hitting the nose for the analysis of looking different.

Well...that's a Bishounen onsen naked bonding session of friends-cum-rivals, that's for sure.

Down the familiar recapping route of memories past for Masaki in regards to Nalu and Sho (looks like he's alive, or he isn't?), he certainly has grown up from the beginning.

Surfing just for the looks, an attraction for both genders alike.

A decent ending in the typical film theatre style. But overall, it's tacked-on mediocrity.
KANLen09Mar 29, 2021 12:50 PM
Mar 29, 2021 12:17 PM
Sep 2015
OMF YES! Sho survive! I was trying to present the theory on how this could happen but at that time I almost have 0% confidence in my good-ending route

Here's what I said in episode 8 discussion
phantomfandom said:
Even as of now I'm still in denial mode regarding Sho's death. Maybe he fake his death and went hiding so that his family can get his life insurance money?

In Twitter the director hint on people seeing double rainbow will meet again in the future, and when Masaki hug Sho and Nalu, there's really rainbow there! (in episode 4) but the edit cut the scene out before the zoom out revealing the second rainbow, which just revealed in this final episode.

Now the most tragic event of this anime is that Miruru get Hollywood adaptation LOL

PS: yeah, I live for that onsen scene ;)
phantomfandomMar 29, 2021 12:27 PM
Mar 29, 2021 12:18 PM
May 2018
What was that ending? Seriously i didn't understand, i was crying because i thought sho died but he appeared in the end, what was that?? Why is sho alive? In reality, why did sho had to die?
Lynx_samaMar 29, 2021 12:35 PM
Mar 29, 2021 1:42 PM
Mar 2019
a good anime good story. i think it not be more of this serie but i swear yes
Mar 29, 2021 2:20 PM
Feb 2021
I enjoyed the anime, but was so confused by the ending! Sho is alive?! WTF! I don’t think that was cool. It’s like they all mourned his death and that guy just out living his best life😓
OtakuMekaMar 29, 2021 2:25 PM
Mar 29, 2021 2:53 PM

Jun 2020
zedtronic said:
And I seriously doubt they'd go to all that trouble to get the point across that he's gone only to pull some heartless "He survived, motherfucker!" afterwards. In the end, this is supposed to be a sports SOL, not Dragon Ball Z.

I stand severely corrected. I can't believe they actually went DBZ on our asses in a pretty boy surfing anime of all things.

But hey, at least he's alive and doing okay? Overall, I enjoyed this anime, no matter how painfully cringey and dumb it was. It was cute.
Mar 29, 2021 3:17 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Is that it? Just like that? Onsen man service again. Then, man, what a way to end the show with that abrupt revealing. I seriously never see that coming. Hinted via a double rainbow? Nah, for me, its such a shallow way to considered it as a foreshadow. I mean, the heck was that? Its unrelated, in my humble opinion. Was that beneficial? I seriously don't think so. Because the show must go on, and i don't give two shit about that late revelation. Even the best boy, Nalu, the aloha boy, got a smallest portion even near the end. I am feeling really bad.

But, whatever. Thank you for the ride, Masaki and the gang. Surfing is seriously can be full of surprise, and the same with the show too. Even its mean bad at my side of track. Kthanksbye.

Surfing Yappe!1!
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Mar 29, 2021 3:27 PM
Jul 2018
tbh i think a lot of people misunderstood the show, this wasnt really a sports anime but more of a CBDCT/Slice of Life.

anyways, pretty cool final episode and i guess theres some potential for season 2. overall this was quite decent, enjoyed it at times but there were also times where it was kinda boring, i'd say a 2-3/10 in the end. also, so sho faked his death..?
Mar 29, 2021 5:54 PM
Apr 2019
I'm sorry, but why is Sho there? Like, the dude faked his death and his friends were sad by it yet there he is alive(?). Like unless that's a ghost, it makes no sense that he is alive. His friends missed him. Like, why did he even do it? He knew it would hurt them yet he did it. Why?!?! It honestly pisses me off that he'd do something like that. If it was for the sake of drama then it was done poorly.
Mar 29, 2021 5:55 PM

Oct 2009
Who goes taking a character out without any explanation whatsoever, not even giving a single hint in any way for so long, and then pulling that shit right at the very end?????????

I'm sorry, I think I'm just pissed off. As if the rushed pacing hadn't poisoned the entire anime throughout most of its run, now we get this bs move. I shouild be happy? I think? That he's alive - but that's just the point, it's been so long, and we've mostly even forgotten about him, because even the moments and thoughts and feelings that were meant to conjure up his memory were all so distant and intangible amidst everything else, after only knowing him for a short while, that I find it hard to care at all. But it's supposed to be this big significant thing? What. Just... yeah, no. I don't know.

Kinda even spoiled Kousuke's little wolf whistle as Masaki stood there in front of them in his bday suit, and that was bloody hilarious.

Btw, y'all, the game was released on March 1... and has been in maintenance mode since March 4. With the last bit of info about a later update on March 15. Just... idek.
yellowheartrenMar 29, 2021 6:30 PM
Mar 29, 2021 7:11 PM

Mar 2013
Well... I guess it's over? Okay this show has problems but the one thing it had going for it they decided to ruin at the end (that being sho is alive). I just don't understand why they had to bring sho back the mystery of his death was probably one of the more interesting things in this anime but now it just begs the question why? Why did sho fake his death in the first place? Originally I wondered who called him and what was the conversation before sho's "death"? Now who cares he's back... because... who cares.

Also I need to get this off my chest, I did not like the mc's voice like it just did not fit the character at all. Also I will miss best boy naoya.
Mar 29, 2021 8:06 PM

Jun 2011
So my boy Sho is alive this whole time!!!!!
What a shame that they didn't answer any questions about him.
Overall this anime is so-so, if they explain what happen to Sho I might gave it a higher score. The Shonan arc was boring as hell. I sometimes even wondered myself why I put up with this show. But still they give Sho back, at least I feel thankful for that.
Mar 29, 2021 8:25 PM
Jan 2021
CrimsonKing25 said:
I'm sorry, but why is Sho there? Like, the dude faked his death and his friends were sad by it yet there he is alive(?). Like unless that's a ghost, it makes no sense that he is alive. His friends missed him. Like, why did he even do it? He knew it would hurt them yet he did it. Why?!?! It honestly pisses me off that he'd do something like that. If it was for the sake of drama then it was done poorly.

Remembering Masaki actually stopped surfing for a year because he felt that surfing had taken Sho away from him, and seeing Hayamichi desperately trying to reach Sho after seeing him, it really would be a d*ck move if he had faked it. I'm really hoping it's just his spirit watching over everyone and Hayamichi being able to see him because of their (literal) brotherly bond.
Mar 29, 2021 11:57 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
They were touching their d*cks and then they all did a hand shake... xD
WTF, why is Sho here at the end? This is a total non-sense to be honest.
At least is was quite enjoyable overall for a surfing anime but it still pretty bad for the writing really...
Mar 30, 2021 12:51 AM

Dec 2020
I liked how it suddenly changed from surfing rivalry to d*ck rivalry lol...

the only interesting thing in the show was the queerbaiting elements, other than that horrible show, won't recommend it.
Mar 30, 2021 1:29 AM

Jul 2012
Wait, Sho is alive?
But if he is and even watches them surf, why the hell did he never contact them or talk to them?!

I had thought that he might have faked his death for personal/family reasons, but why did he never reach out to them later? Sorry, but this is just stupid. The boys, especially Masaki, suffered so much from his death, and now Sho just is there at the end watching them surf without talking to them? Eh?! That seems so out of character for him.
Mar 30, 2021 9:24 AM

Dec 2008
The whole concept of Sho was irritating.
Mar 31, 2021 6:59 AM
May 2019
Wow, it was a great last episode. This anime had a lot of ups and downs, but overall I think it was a pleasant experience to accompany it during those months. I'll take a few sentences to life. And I miss you, Nalu.
Mar 31, 2021 8:59 AM

Aug 2017
Dead or alive.....that is the freaking question!!!!!!
Uggghhh this episode upset me the most!
It was like an open ender or something....

Haist....

Mar 31, 2021 1:27 PM
Nov 2020
Shou is gonna be pissed when he finds out Masaki just threw his board in the ocean.
Mar 31, 2021 7:07 PM

Jun 2014
Sho's alive! But, what has he been up to? Is he still surfing even? I guess we'll never know.

Also, Kousuke seems to be impressed with Masaki's dick, lol.

This was pretty nice. Pretty gay boys and surfing. I'm gonna miss seeing Nalu's sexy smile.

Apr 1, 2021 11:39 AM
Oct 2020
I think this kind of story needs at least 20 ep or sth to execute a better characterization with backstories, and the drama of course. 12 ep was too short to reveal any of these.

What happened to SHo? why did he fake his death? What was happening in his life?

I wasn't fan of the voice acting, eithe, especially the main character's voice.. Just ughhh:/

And the use of CGI in every surfing scene...

It wasn't bad totally, but not decent either.

5/10

Apr 1, 2021 11:44 PM

Oct 2008
the heck Sho is alive? the heck is he trippin'!?

Apr 4, 2021 6:49 AM

Dec 2016
I knew it Sho was alive. I wanna know the reason of his pretend suicide.

Anyway, finally it has ended. It was a boring ride. The ost was really bad, it was better off with no ost. The mc was annoying too, I like it when he's sad.
The OP and ED was OK.

Overall 5/10
Apr 4, 2021 11:24 PM
Jun 2012
Sho being alive ruined all. It was already ruined, and it ruined it like solid. That's impossible for someone to be alive for 2 freaking years and his brother not knowing it at all.
Apr 6, 2021 5:07 AM
Jun 2015
I don’t know. I took that ending to be Sho’s spirit watching over them. His brother didn’t see him, he sensed him. Sho was walking behind him and he didn’t turn around until Sho was out of frame and never did catch up to him. Sho was also wearing white. Idk maybe I’m wrong but him being alive makes no sense.
Apr 26, 2021 11:52 PM
Apr 2019
I really enjoyed the anime but I'm really confused about what happened with Sho. This really needs a Season 2. Anyways I had fun watching them grow.
May 2, 2021 8:04 PM

Mar 2016
Well, I guess this was interesting. The english pronunciation in some episodes tho hahahah...

Fairly uninteresting anime, I didn't really get tied to Sho in any way before he went under. idk maybe it's just me

May 6, 2021 7:51 AM

Jul 2015
For someone who has been heavily affected by Sho's death, Corgi really doesn't seem to care enough on finding out why the latter went surfing in the middle of a storm. I guess we'll never know why Sho decided to disappear but good to know he's still alive (appearing in the last scene wearing a white shirt while the brother wears a black shirt).

Aug 3, 2021 8:29 AM
Jan 2021
I never seen a anime about surfing.
At first I was suspicious but it turned out to be a great anime.
Nov 7, 2021 5:11 AM

Jan 2013
Nobody taught these idiots that you don't go into water right after eating?
For a show meant to promote surfing it sure is ignorant of basics...
Jan 23, 2022 4:52 AM
Jan 2022
Sho's death made me skip from Ep 5 to Ep 12 and still so mad that I am dropping this series. T_T

More topics from this board

Poll: » Wave!!: Surfing Yappe!! (TV) Episode 1 Discussion

zaverix - Jan 11, 2021

25 by removed-user »»
Jun 6, 2023 11:05 PM

Poll: » Wave!!: Surfing Yappe!! (TV) Episode 5 Discussion

KANLen09 - Feb 8, 2021

43 by senekohan »»
Apr 1, 2023 10:04 AM

Poll: » Wave!!: Surfing Yappe!! (TV) Episode 9 Discussion

KANLen09 - Mar 8, 2021

13 by Selleri_UmU »»
Feb 19, 2023 12:20 PM

Poll: » Wave!!: Surfing Yappe!! (TV) Episode 11 Discussion

KANLen09 - Mar 22, 2021

16 by Unkrowned »»
May 6, 2021 7:39 AM

Poll: » Wave!!: Surfing Yappe!! (TV) Episode 10 Discussion

KANLen09 - Mar 15, 2021

17 by Unkrowned »»
May 6, 2021 7:16 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.