Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 22, 2021 9:14 PM
Oct 2018
Too much tragedy and not enough victory this season. I realize this is what happens in horse racing all the time, injuries end careers, but I was expecting something different. And Special Week didn’t even race once.

I assume Teio will win in the final ep. But can’t imagine McQueen could possibly compete at this point.
Mar 22, 2021 10:39 PM

Oct 2014
.. I forgot this part of the story.
So freaking good, man!
Oonishi Saori's acting, in particular... Nothing less from one of the best.

Fun how life is, isn't it?
Season 1 went the SOL route, and it only reached the point that it reached. After that game dev stuck, the franchise lived off real life idol power brought upon along with top-lister seiyuus, with Gold Ship vtubing the best "originally come from the franchise" thing it had going for itself. Cygames kinda left it off as it was. They lost interest in making things right.
Fast forward now after they found someone to take care of the project in their name. Now game is out and it's booming, and they bring out the big gun: Tokai Teio's story in anime and spin it this way, and the franchise is the most trending in Japan right now bcs of all of that.

Imagine if the game didn't have development hiccup. It might not be the talk of the mass in Japan. Bcs Season 1... only reached that far.
Mar 23, 2021 12:19 AM
うまぴょい伝説

May 2017
If Teio and McQueen retires in the future I hope Kitasan Black and Satono Diamond relpace them in Team Spica, they have the same rivalry and both support the former.
Mar 23, 2021 12:24 AM

Apr 2015
Smudy said:
CeddyyBearr said:
I am not gonna lie, this is getting out of hand. Every time we gonna have a good thing, a leg injury happens and honestly, I am kind of sick of it at this point. After Teio's revival 2 episodes ago and that emotional outburst she had thanks to McQueen, now McQueen injured and incurable, emotional impact is just gone for me... This season just has too much drama surrounding injuries. Which is a pity, cause honestly love this series a lot.

Doesn't mean it's bad, I just wish it took a different direction.

Well, it's exactly what happened in real life and i find it amazing that they are depicting it in anime like this.

Fair enough! That's true, it's an interesting choice to have a comeback/sucess story instead of a dominating/succes story. Honestly from that perspective, I can't really complain,especially after looking up McQueen, it's a great adaptation of the events.
Mar 23, 2021 1:45 AM

Oct 2016
Ngl i cried a bit haha. Saorin is my fav seiyuu afterall. Parallel to the game, too much training does bring higher chance to get penalty or risk of injury, even lowering their mood. In this case, depression lol.

On another note, i do like the drama part for this season. I rather have this dynamic theme, rather than recycling the same theme over & over, like dbz or 7 deadly sins. Well, u kinda get my point.

Each season have a main girl with their rival/"senpai". Im guessing the next one would be scarlet vs vodka. Lets hope the theme would be more on the technical aspects of racing rather than drama.
Mar 23, 2021 4:20 AM

Feb 2014
Just like what Teio said to McQueen, fate can be such a jerk that can strike at such an unexpected time which can end someone's goal in life. =(

It's a sizable contrast to season 1, as that was more upbeat overall (although it had its fair share of drama with Suzuka's leg break which led up to Special Week's slump of form), whereas this second season has been far heavier in terms of anguish and drama.

Mostly, I can understand as to why some users here would be a little frustrated about the amount of drama we've had in this season, but since the series follows very closely to the real life counterparts of the horses in question, this drama was to be expected, so most of the complaints about the drama itself would be sort of irrelevant.

That said, I think this episode handled the drama extremely well and it didn't hold back its punches as we saw how much in pain McQueen was when she tried to resume training despite her incurable leg injury she got. Seeing McQueen breaking down crying got me tearing up as well. It was a powerful scene, seeing Teio in the role of McQueen back a few episodes ago, reassuring her and also telling McQueen that she will win her own upcoming race now that she's back into training after almost giving it up completely.

I do hope the final episode will end on a positive note, even if it might be bittersweet. =)
Mar 23, 2021 8:28 AM

Jul 2011
This episode gave me the feeling that the last race of the season will be a "One last ride" scenario where, McQueen and Teio may race, but at the cost of destroying their legs.
Mar 23, 2021 8:31 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Well, the darkness still enveloped the horse girl without mercy, come repeatedly until the end of time. The reality of the horse girls world really full of surprising matter, and i instantly feelsbadman....

This time, its McQueen injury again. Positive. The fate really didn't want them met until the last episode. Idk if the next will be possible, tho. I kinda fear these season really ended with such a bittersweet note, without even letting them race for the last time. I hope i wrong, cause no matter way, i still wanna look the horse girl happy through the end of the day. Man, that Tokai last scene looked so cool with all of her great speech (nice reversal toward a certain scenes between them! Even some of the ed parts didn't hesitate to confirm my words here. Lmao). But i don't really aggree with that respond of her leaving the poor girl like that. Hiks xd.

Anyway, its nice to seeing the other horse girl activities and their victory. Biwa from BMW got the last spot light before entering the final blows in the final episode. Idk what kind of end they serve from me. So, i am really looking forward to see the next and last episode!
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Mar 23, 2021 3:50 PM

Nov 2012
If there´s something that I didnt like in this episode, it was Teiou attitude, her way of handle this matter, I cant believe thats how she would act at that moment, but well, next ep will make things better

My Candies:

Mar 24, 2021 9:20 AM

Mar 2011
Nice touch on the ending song, since their position have reversed the part that they sing had switched as well.
Mar 24, 2021 10:18 AM

Oct 2017
Wtf, what's even happening. Like seriously man this is way too depressing.
Mar 24, 2021 12:12 PM
🐰KawaiiDaikaiju🐲

Nov 2017
Collins89 said:
But at the end I couldn't help but think, "she can't run anymore, uh oh"......

So dark... 😰
But still... lol 😆
“SAITO! YOU NEED TO EXPLODE! FOR THE WORLD’S SAKE!”
Mar 24, 2021 11:08 PM

Oct 2008
oh god why must they do this?!?
first Tokai Teiou, then this time its Meijirou McQueen and to be exact the condition seems to be worse compared to Tokai...oh damn!
5/5.
the ED changed as well....the original ED sequence was Machico was the first one to sing....this ED the changes was Oonishi Saori was the first one to sing then Machico next...it's like they changed positions!
EVEN THE VISUALS OF THE ED IS SWAPPED!
matias067Mar 24, 2021 11:32 PM

Mar 26, 2021 7:23 PM
Jan 2017
I hope they can recuperate well, this episode its soo tense.

But i need to say, if Teiou not win in 1 place its not bad, she can run again and can prove miracles happen, and McQueen will be fine after a correct recuperation.

btw i see in some articles, the injure of McQueen its real in horses and is alot bad :(
Mar 28, 2021 7:43 PM

Nov 2009
Dramy said:
I hope they can recuperate well, this episode its soo tense.

But i need to say, if Teiou not win in 1 place its not bad, she can run again and can prove miracles happen, and McQueen will be fine after a correct recuperation.

btw i see in some articles, the injure of McQueen its real in horses and is alot bad :(

A lot of the injuries and race events are all based on Real Life events.

But the anime tends to exaggerate/ edit a lot of the events for higher suspense and drama.

And yea, as said in earlier episode thread... this season is pretty much all happening around injuries... from episode 1 Teio to episode 12 McQueen. Literally only 1 or 2 episode isn't Injury based.

I am changing my suggested Title from "Uma Musume: Tieo's Suffering" to "Uma Musume: The Suffering"

(at least we should be glad it isn't pure RL based where some horses with big injuries are "put down" or used as "breeding machines")
Nothing Written Here But Us Anime Bunnies *boing boing boing*
Mar 29, 2021 6:26 AM

Oct 2020
The amount of leg injuries this season is too much. Teio's multi-injury arc was good. It mirrors what top athlete's struggle with. But now we have McQueen's injury. Looked up suspensory ligament desmitis and it seem it is possible? That scene with McQueen trying to run and falling down was really heart wrenching.

Mar 31, 2021 12:17 AM

Mar 2008
Why must they make every episode hurt me. God Damn.
Mar 31, 2021 7:15 AM
Oct 2010
Arkaisen said:
The amount of leg injuries this season is too much. Teio's multi-injury arc was good. It mirrors what top athlete's struggle with. But now we have McQueen's injury. Looked up suspensory ligament desmitis and it seem it is possible? That scene with McQueen trying to run and falling down was really heart wrenching.

Real Mejiro McQueen developed suspensory ligament desmitis and retired. The drama did get a little overbearing by this point though.
Mar 31, 2021 7:21 AM

Oct 2020
@Kothra RIP Mejiro McQueen. I'm glad the anime didn't go down that route. But I agree the drama did get overbearing but that's what I love about it. Overall did you enjoy this season?

Mar 31, 2021 7:22 AM
Oct 2010
Yeah I absolutely loved this season, more than the last season. Easy 9/10.
Apr 12, 2021 11:55 AM

Jul 2014
Does this season have any plot points besides injuring the characters over and over and over again? That's basically all this season has been besides the brief, refreshing Rice Shower subplot and it's basically just a repeat of the Silence Suzuka plot from the second half of season 1.

Seriously, it's so tiring because it's so heavy all the time and because it's just lazy to constantly use one plot point and never do anything else at all.
May 29, 2021 6:55 AM
Sep 2020
Atavistic said:
Does this season have any plot points besides injuring the characters over and over and over again? That's basically all this season has been besides the brief, refreshing Rice Shower subplot and it's basically just a repeat of the Silence Suzuka plot from the second half of season 1.

Seriously, it's so tiring because it's so heavy all the time and because it's just lazy to constantly use one plot point and never do anything else at all.

What do you think they should do about it? It's based on historic evidence, they can't change the outcome of the races or their career paths. Real life is cruel, horse racing is not just all happiness. You may wanna look up the history of Tokai Teio and Mejiro McQueen.

"Ride out this storm and live to fight another day."
Jun 1, 2021 11:49 PM

Jul 2015
First Teio with her fractures and now Mcqueen with suspensory ligament desmitis, these horsegirls this season sure can't catch a break.

Jul 3, 2021 1:34 AM

Jan 2017
Fate is cruel, the logical way is definitely for McQueen to retire but with her nature it's definitely not gonna happen.

Either Teio and Mcqueen will have 1 final race or they both move on together, oof
Jan 3, 2022 9:55 AM

Sep 2018
I thought that by now the dark moments were behind us, and instead here they are back, but what a beautiful episode this was here. The narration makes your heart squeeze, but to counteract it also gives a pearl of wisdom: it is not wrong or exaggerated to believe in miracles, but we must never give up at the first difficulty, even if the fate in part we can not control it.
Feb 12, 2022 12:38 PM

Apr 2014
my god talk about bad luck but this time with mcqueen

like these 2 have the worse luck just one thing after another

i wonder how this season will end this season has been a LOT of bad luck for the 2 MC's
"one step at a time"
May 7, 2022 6:52 AM

Apr 2011
Fate is so cruel to this girls. Just as when Teio decided to continue running despite she won't be running the same as before, McQueen just has to get a serious and incurable injury. Its heart breaking seeing her cry.

But miracles can happen.
Aug 16, 2022 2:22 PM
Jul 2018
this is literally the funniest or scariest episode in all of anime history because as much as it may be a nod to McQueen developing DSLD, humans don't have suspensory ligaments (other than in the erectile function of a penis) and this is either just a goof or we now have to be under the assumption that horse girls have suspensory ligaments in their legs ???? Cygames, your stupid horse girls keep me awake at night
Feb 15, 2023 9:50 AM

Feb 2022
wow, what an episode (。>﹏<) NO I I'M NOT CRYING JUST HYDRATING MY EYEBALLS THEY BE A BIT DRY
am really curious how they're gonna wrap up all this in ONE episode, i hope it ain't gonna be some lame cliche
                                                    slice of life anime, my beloved.

2D>>>>>>
Apr 17, 2023 11:35 PM
Sep 2014
This show sure does make you feel for them.
Jul 8, 2023 2:25 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
THE BALLIN' SCENE! Automatic 10/10 anime if she actually was singing ballin'.

Almost had a panic attack this episode, because I thought it was the actual end to the season before the actual last episode If you remember, season 1 ended with that kind of wack filler ova whatever episode, its real ending being with the previous episode 12. And I was half expecting them to do the same for this season, which I confirmed for myself when looking at the overall votes for each episode, and the last one for this second season was a whopping 2.4. Yup the last episode was just some throwaway episode isn't it. So you can imagine my feelings when this episode, and what I believed to be the whole season, ended this way. Sure it ended with Teio offering words of comfort and encouragement to McQueen, but still, leaving it like this? I would've applauded them for finishing with a more sad, bittersweet ending- but not one that leaves loose ends untied. Anyway, without rambling on for too long, you can then imagine my relief when I actually went to go check out the episode discussion thread for the final final episode, and seeing pretty much nothing but praise. I guess the 1/5's were a bot thing, thank goodness. Now this season has one more episode to tie things up, and there won't be the sore thumb of some nonsense filler plaguing the final episode.

Was going to share this now as I believed this to be the final episode, and although I've realized it's not, I still will leave it here anyway. This season really goes for the drama over season one, which was more good-vibes and hype oriented. Suzuka's injury did make for some somber moments, but not quite as much as we've experienced here in season 2. Horse girls are getting injured left and right, that's like half of what this season is about- that and Rice Shower's little arc in the middle. This Pretty Derby Season 2: Everyone Is Getting Injured, Multiple Times Over Even. Why do they do this? Well apparently the real life horses that these character's names are based on suffered similar injuries, if I'm not mistaken, don't quote me on anything. But really the main reason is for the drama, for the feels. Now they walk a fine line here. Were they able to make it work, without feeling forced? Because putting an injury in your show will already give room for people to believe you are implementing forced drama. When you have the same character, CHARACTERS, getting hurt multiple times over, you MAY begin to think: can't they do it any other way? And I don't want to get all deep into it, but bottom line is that I think they made it work despite it only giving signs that it wouldn't work. I for one am invested. I feel like my own life is over seeing these horse girls believe that their days of running are over. Like seeing the usually-stoic McQueen break down like that? I wasn't expecting things to go so hard. But now you see why they put Teio through so much. It's so that she can be there for those who were there for her when she was in the same place. I know my train of thought isn't exactly going in a straight line, but just take away this: all this could have easily NOT worked out. But it did, or at least I believe so, and I think many others do too.

Now Suzuka from the last season also suffered an injury, but through pure will-power she made it through and came out as strong if not stronger than before. But here in Teio and McQueen's cases, the situation does seem dire enough for you to believe that no amount of friendship power will get them to the place they once were. Teio is running again, but it's been made clear that she is nowhere near as fast as she used to be. And McQueen? She has a condition in her leg that will only get worse if she chooses to push herself. There seems to be no room for magical healing here. Will a miracle happen? I'm not sure. But I'm in the boat that actually wants to see them not fully recover, and instead grow as a character because of it. I'm actually curious now; will they have Teio and McQueen running together, one last time, in the following final episode?
BetaMaleUltraJul 8, 2023 2:30 AM

NYANPASU
5700XT

Sep 29, 2023 1:21 AM

Feb 2021
McQueen's injury was totally unexpected to me, just like Teio's last one.
After looking up the injury name I found out that it's exclusive to horses and humans can't have it. Cygames really went all out on the horse girl lore lol.
This was heartwrenching man
So I guess McQueen's running career is over now, unless a miracle happens (like how they changed how Suzuka ends up). And I'm really not expecting Teio to win in the next race. I wonder if she'll stop running too, being McQueen's rival became her main motivation for running after all.
That ending change!
The vocals are reversed (McQueen sings Teio's part and vice versa), the pan is in the opposite direction, and the image at the end is different again! Love this.
And yeah, after this and the previous episode I'm totally shipping Teio and McQueen now.
Oct 3, 2023 6:25 PM

Dec 2021
Wow, the finale seemed to conclude as swiftly as the Arima Kinen race.

Teio, who hadn't raced since last year's Arima, entered the competition as the fourth favorite, a testament to his enduring popularity. Biwa Hayahide, fresh from a remarkable victory in the Kikkasho, held the top spot. Even the race commentator was taken aback to witness Teio surge ahead in the final stretch. This race would forever be etched in fans' memories as Tokai Teio's miraculous farewell. It remains one of my cherished races, evoking tears each time I watch it.

While most episodes this season were rather dull, I must admit that this particular one moved me to tears

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Uma Musume: Pretty Derby (TV) Season 2 Episode 2 Discussion

KANLen09 - Jan 11, 2021

49 by Kira_yoshikage04 »»
Mar 24, 12:55 AM

Poll: » Uma Musume: Pretty Derby (TV) Season 2 Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 8, 2021

59 by itsmepee »»
Mar 12, 11:03 AM

» The hairdresser is underappreciated

Allsaints112 - Feb 2

3 by AntiSadboi »»
Feb 2, 10:18 PM

Poll: » Uma Musume: Pretty Derby (TV) Season 2 Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Jan 4, 2021

69 by Th0rAxe »»
Jan 7, 5:53 AM

Poll: » Uma Musume: Pretty Derby (TV) Season 2 Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 29, 2021

96 by moxxipoxxi »»
Dec 29, 2023 1:44 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.