Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Mar 22, 2021 6:10 AM

Jul 2019
Since we're actually getting a second season (hype) I wanted to clear up a few misconceptions I've seen often about this anime, for anyone who's interested in picking it up!

First of all, it's not an isekai. The protagonist is a demon (they look like humans) with God-like powers who died 2 thousand years ago and was simply born again, in his same body, in his same magical world. The story is actually about why no one seems to remember him despite the fact that he's an incredibly important historical figure, whose resurrection was awaited all this time.

Secondly, it's also not a parody. This anime has little comedy and it never openly tries to mock similar genres or similar stories. Since the protagonist used to be the ruler of his race, he's certainly over-powered, and although this isn't supposed to be a joke, it can be funny depending on your sense of humor. Another thing is the "harem" aspect, although I wouldn't call it that since it's never sexual and the protagonist is a massive gentleman. There are quite a few main girls who show interest in him, as well as secondary girls, but it won't bother you while watching because 1) it's not pandering, and then again, 2) he's a God-like ruler who everyone is waiting to come back, the fact that some highschool girls fall for him is just natural lol.

Lastly, it's actually a good anime. I don't want to spoil anything so I'll keep it vague: it's incredibly wholesome, has good action/animation, the protagonist is a great character and the mystery plot is interesting. Seeing the protagonist kick ass never gets old, and episode 4 is stellar.

So this is a good anime. I personally gave it a 7, because I think a seven = good. But compared to the MAL score other anime have, I think this anime's score is quite unfair. It should be somewhere in the 7.60-7.90 range which is truly the "good anime" range for MAL.

This anime is a joy to watch if you just lay back and let it be.
RojasebMar 22, 2021 7:00 AM
Mar 22, 2021 6:56 AM

Feb 2021
Rojaseb said:
Since we're actually getting a second season (hype) I wanted to clear up a few misconceptions I've seen often about this anime, for anyone who's interested in picking it up!

First of all, it's not an isekai. The protagonist is a demon (they look like humans) with God-like powers who died 2 thousand years ago and was simply born again, in his same body, in his same magical world. The story is actually about why no one seems to remember him despite the fact that he's an incredibly important historical figure, who's resurrection was awaited all this time.

Secondly, it's also not a parody. This anime has little comedy and it never openly tries to mock similar genres or similar stories. Since the protagonist used to be the ruler of his race, he's certainly over-powered, and although this isn't supposed to be a joke, it can be funny depending on your sense of humor. Another thing is the "harem" aspect, although I wouldn't call it that since it's never sexual and the protagonist is a massive gentleman. There are quite a few main girls who show interest in him, as well as secondary girls, but it won't bother you while watching because 1) it's not pandering, and then again, 2) he's a God-like ruler who everyone is waiting to come back, the fact that some highschool girls fall for him is just natural lol.

Lastly, it's actually a good anime. I don't want to spoil anything so I'll keep it vague: it's incredibly wholesome, has good action/animation, the protagonist is a great character and the mystery plot is interesting. Seeing the protagonist kick ass never gets old, and episode 4 is stellar.

So this is a good anime. I personally gave it a 7, because I think a seven = good. But compared to the MAL score other anime have, I think this anime's score is quite unfair. It should be somewhere in the 7.60-7.90 range which is truly the "good anime" range for MAL.

i don't think anyone said it's an isekai but ok
i want a happy meal
Mar 22, 2021 6:59 AM
Jan 2021
sin_dragan said:
Rojaseb said:

First of all, it's not an isekai. The protagonist is a demon (they look like humans) with God-like powers who died 2 thousand years ago and was simply born again, in his same body, in his same magical world. The story is actually about why no one seems to remember him despite the fact that he's an incredibly important historical figure, who's resurrection was awaited all this time.

It’s a power fantasy anime and that’s good. Idk why everybody thinks fantasy = isekai
Mar 22, 2021 7:00 AM

Feb 2021
herofelix77 said:
sin_dragan said:

It’s a power fantasy anime and that’s good. Idk why everybody thinks fantasy = isekai
yeah it's kinda dumb. It's pretty obvious this anime isn't an isekai
i want a happy meal
Mar 22, 2021 7:07 AM

Jul 2019
sin_dragan said:

I've seen people assume it's an isekai (this post is meant for them) but I've also seen a lot of people compare it to isekai anime, like while it aired a lot of people were put off by Anos being OP because it's such an isekai trope, but it's not a fair comparison at all.
Mar 22, 2021 7:09 AM

Feb 2021
Rojaseb said:
sin_dragan said:

I've seen people assume it's an isekai (the post is for them) but I've seen a lot of people compare it to isekai anime and I don't it should be compared to other isekai. While it aired a lot of people were put off by Anos being OP because it's such an isekai trope, but it's not a fair comparison.
i see. well, tbh, it's pretty similar to an isekai (thematically) but it's pretty clear that anos is from that world.
i want a happy meal
Mar 22, 2021 8:58 AM
Jan 2021
It’s definitely not an isekai but I kinda still think it is a parody, like cmon the main character kills a dude with his fucking heartbeat
Mar 22, 2021 9:08 AM

Jul 2019
KeenanAntonetti said:
It’s definitely not an isekai but I kinda still think it is a parody, like cmon the main character kills a dude with his fucking heartbeat

Well parodies are usually comedies but this anime is mostly action/drama. One Punch Man for example is a parody because it has a lot of comedy and you can see it trying to make fun of a lot of genres/troupes.

The thing with Maou Gakuin is that it doesn't take itself seriously and Anos doesn't take himself seriously either
Mar 22, 2021 9:13 AM
Jan 2021
Rojaseb said:
KeenanAntonetti said:

Well parodies are usually comedies but this anime is mostly action/drama. One Punch Man for example is a parody because it has a lot of comedy and you can see it trying to make fun of a lot of genres/troupes.

The thing with Maou Gakuin is that it doesn't take itself seriously and Anos doesn't take himself seriously either

well ye i guess your right, but i personally would still call it a parody.
thats just my opinion
Mar 22, 2021 9:26 AM

Jul 2019
KeenanAntonetti said:
well ye i guess your right, but i personally would still call it a parody.
thats just my opinion

I can't deny it made me laugh too whenever he fucked people up
Mar 22, 2021 9:33 AM

Jul 2013
I agree with most of what you said. I dislike when people call this an isekai, without bothering to think first what makes an isekai an isekai. Unless you consider timetravelling as isekai (which I personally don't, cause Anos is still in the same world where he lived as the demon king), this work isn't one. If anything, Maou Gakuin is one of those light novels with a main character going to a magical school that were so common in the middle 2010s.

About the harem thing, while this show has haremish elements, I think is overall a secondary thing.
Mar 23, 2021 10:41 AM
Jun 2020
Anime with a demon lord MC
How not to summon a demon lord
Demon lord retry
Overlord

Is really often isekai these are all easily confused with spiderkun or slime or any of the other 100 OP main character tropes that tbh most anime dont even bother to tie in the unnessisary reincarnation they use it as a plot device to either make the worlds magic explainable as a video game or use it to cram Japanese culture recreation as sideplot this anime does reincarnation better... but the highschool trope holds it back alot from being more then a joke.

The Devil is a Part-Timer
Maoyuu Maou Yuusha

Have a fantasy backstory instead of isekai just like misfit however they distinguish themselves by not featuring OP MC harem.
Demon King Daimao does that about as well as Highschool DXD and id put misfit somewhere inbetween them

I agree its isekai and thats a good thing anime is better served building a character inside a world instead of dropping one off ina new one.
I agree its not parody because its not mocking the tropes

But i will say its suffering from something i diagnose as trope sickness where its not pushing enough boundaries to distinguish itself fron everything else thats airing beside it before it and after it.

As a 12 piece its just not enough nuggets for a meal, i prefer 24 packs to give it time to grow into something and i worry being two seasons instead of straight 24 they didnt use the first half to build enough to power the second and instead we are just getting a second 12peice more of the same always lame

Highschool aspect hits alotta the seriousness out. Very 2010 magic high, misfit gives callbacks to irregular. But fell kinda short
Harem hints relieve any tensions and make romance a comical note.
Useful reincarnation gives a really great setup, magic is very well explained variety and interesting as a team sport
Big reveals and deep plot dont have enough impact because of all the tension breaks but if they did this anime would slamm home.

Good world, good story, cookie cutter execution
Mar 25, 2021 8:59 AM
Feb 2021
This anime is very good it is one of my favourite anime and it has the most main character buff you can ever imagine this series will be a perfect match for people like me who just like an overpowered main character and needs good story with good action.

More so when I saw it’s getting a new season I thought it might just cross the peak of over powerness and just be one of the best and legendary action anime just like attack on Titan or naruto
Apr 4, 2021 11:35 PM
Jan 2021
I think the score in mal is just fine lot of people give this a high rating just because it's really enjoyable watch and im one of those i mean the story in this is just really generic but enjoyable so i personally give this a 6 just because it's enjoyable....
Apr 6, 2021 10:56 AM
Aug 2017
Rojaseb said:

First of all, it's not an isekai. The protagonist is a demon (they look like humans) with God-like powers who died 2 thousand years ago and was simply born again, in his same body, in his same magical world. The story is actually about why no one seems to remember him despite the fact that he's an incredibly important historical figure, whose resurrection was awaited all this time.

Its because how rating works, if you rate seven it ill be more 7 to 6 than 7 to 8, you need to rate 8 to be like 7.6 etc
May 22, 2021 7:55 AM
Feb 2020
I watch this anime only because of rare non beta male protagonist and nice waifus

May 22, 2021 8:02 AM

Jul 2020
Those who said it was an isekai are actually dumb.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Jul 20, 2021 4:45 PM
Jun 2008
So, Isekai - no, and I was floored to find out that there were people who thought this and those tend to be the ones who are nay saying the series.

As for parody, yes, but to that end if you don't recognize the series that are being parodying let alone the genre being parodied you'll not likely recognize this as parody. I mean, there's no getting around the fact the first episode pokes fun of Irregular at High School which is probably the most well known of Battle Academy series out there, but the entrance exam having individuals battle to decide who will get to enter is actually in at least one of these series.

Yet, if you don't recognize the series that are being parodying you'll see simply a series that comes across as a series that takes on a more serious tone for the viewer, but that's actually how a good parody should be. Those who aren't interested in parody or the series being parodied will not be bothered by the fact it is parody.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Maou Gakuin no Futekigousha: Shijou Saikyou no Maou no Shiso, Tensei shite Shison-tachi no Gakkou e Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KANLen09 - Sep 26, 2020

278 by Frank_Striker »»
Feb 22, 9:32 PM

Poll: » Maou Gakuin no Futekigousha: Shijou Saikyou no Maou no Shiso, Tensei shite Shison-tachi no Gakkou e Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 19, 2020

115 by PrimeX »»
Feb 19, 7:17 AM

Poll: » Maou Gakuin no Futekigousha: Shijou Saikyou no Maou no Shiso, Tensei shite Shison-tachi no Gakkou e Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 12, 2020

123 by PrimeX »»
Feb 19, 4:57 AM

Poll: » Maou Gakuin no Futekigousha: Shijou Saikyou no Maou no Shiso, Tensei shite Shison-tachi no Gakkou e Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 5, 2020

122 by PrimeX »»
Feb 19, 4:07 AM

Poll: » Maou Gakuin no Futekigousha: Shijou Saikyou no Maou no Shiso, Tensei shite Shison-tachi no Gakkou e Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 29, 2020

101 by PrimeX »»
Feb 19, 3:44 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.