Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Mar 21, 2021 6:24 PM
Aug 2020
i just finished Japan Sinks 2020 and while it definitely wasn’t THE BEST series i’ve ever seen, it wasn’t 2/10 worthy like a lot of the reviews i’ve seen. i have so many mixed reviews and many unanswered questions about this show but i genuinely don’t understand why everyone rates this show so horribly.
Mar 21, 2021 7:44 PM
Jan 2019
Idk..... I liked it. Only thing I thought wasn’t very good writing was how they kept killing off characters when it didn’t really feel like they needed too
Mar 21, 2021 7:49 PM

Feb 2021
I thought it was okay, definitely not the best, but it was okay. the one thing I really disliked was that they gave some of the characters really unlikely and unnecessary deaths. I see a lot of people complain about the animation, but it definitely was not the worst part of the series.
Mar 22, 2021 2:34 AM
Jan 2021
There are a lot of good parts of this series this why I gave it a 4 and not a 2. However a lot of the series has stupid moments of hilarity when it’s meant to be shock or horror. Never really liked the main character or her mother and little brother. Only really liked Kite. So there are good parts but is marred by the bad.
Mar 22, 2021 8:41 AM

Aug 2019
Definitely not a 2/10, but it wasn't good either. It was entertaining enough to binge watch it but the main character is annoying and she, her brother that wasn't that interesting, the professor and the Mary sue of Kite where the only ones who survived, all the characters who had character development died and I hated that, also this anime is the weakest of all Masaaki Yuasa's works
Mar 22, 2021 12:04 PM
Aug 2020
Honestly it's not at bad as a 2/10 more like a 5 or if I'm pushing it a 6, for various reasons from some of irrelevant things that happened, weird voice acting, weird animating in tense or dramatic situation, the characters themselves, the way character deaths happened and how characters reacted to those deaths and so on. I don't believe it deserve a 2 because I've seen much worse anime, because they were elements of it I did like and some of them not so much. Maybe ppl wanna jump on the bandwagon of hating it even when they don't really.
Apr 6, 2021 5:44 PM
Feb 2021
personally i loved this anime i really needed something that was all cheer and joy right now i don’t understand why so many people are hating on it if you didn’t like all the sadness and death then don’t watch an anime that is about jan pan sinking what did they expect just read the total i can understand why people pleased with the animation but it wasn’t that bad and it didn’t deserve a score under 6 personally i give this anime a 9/10 i loved it even though i wish Koga lived because he was my favorite after kite witch i am not 100 percent sure is alive or not.
Apr 8, 2021 5:15 AM
Apr 2019
The 2 things that really stick out to me why this anime had great potential but was ultimately squandered were a)Horrible Pacing and B) Stilted Animation.

First of all the pacing, Think about any Hollywood action film you've seen let's take 2012 for example (I honestly thought  this was gonna be like an anime version of this tbh). In 2012 we get to know the characters a little bit before were thrust into the action. We rarely get moments of calm once we are in it. There's a sense of  urgency throughout the film. Where the Anime loses me is about the midpoint when they stumble across the cult. Believe me I wasn't even strung up about the fact they were killing characters because that's what a good disaster show should do. But running into the Cult was like slamming your car into a brick wall, the momentum  disappeared. Don't get me wrong I understand in the world ending scenario that people will act irrationally it's been displayed earlier in the series but with the rape and drugs randomly thrown in when they made it seem like they're on a time crunch (considering how fast Okinawa went under i wouldn't be spending all that time mucking about at the Cult.) When the story finally dose remember where it was, everything just kinda picks back up like it didn't really happen minus the fact they have the scientists for some reason. Look, I'm not gonna pretend 2012 is the greatest film out there but at least the film stays on track.

Speaking of which if this were a 2 and a 1/2 or 3 hour movie, and the cult scene was like 10 or so minutes, I would've been completely OK with it but because it was a series and had to really drag it out it suffers a lot.

Finally I want to touch on the animation And no I am not talking about the art style because the art style could be really pretty at times it's the animation. Animating isn't easy especially for a series  but when you're dropping all the episodes at once like that on Netflix you'd expect them to at least look nice and complete but in some places it just feels stiff. Yes, the whole world was affected by the global pandemic I'm not going to deny that but even with what they had it could stand a reanimation and a rewrite to boot.

Final word, good premise,  horrible execution; 3/10
united1175Jan 25, 2023 12:27 AM
Apr 22, 2023 4:03 AM

Dec 2015
I think the answer to this question was really well answered by one of the recommended top reviews. I think the anime was pretty good in the context of the Olympics and all the different things happening in Japan at the time, but if people went into it expecting it to be a drama about natural disasters then they would have felt pretty disappointed. I don't think the anime was a masterpiece but it certainly wasn't the piece of trash many people are making it out to be. 

I think one thing everybody can agree on is that the soundtrack was amazing!
Sep 28, 2023 5:46 PM
Jan 2021
Stuart2003 said:
There are a lot of good parts of this series this why I gave it a 4 and not a 2. However a lot of the series has stupid moments of hilarity when it’s meant to be shock or horror. Never really liked the main character or her mother and little brother. Only really liked Kite. So there are good parts but is marred by the bad.

Thats it! I think the same 😉

More topics from this board

Poll: » Nihon Chinbotsu 2020 Episode 6 Discussion

FMmatron - Jul 9, 2020

46 by ImNotAnOtaku1 »»
Mar 30, 10:25 PM

Poll: » Nihon Chinbotsu 2020 Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Gadottinho - Jul 9, 2020

60 by ImNotAnOtaku1 »»
Mar 30, 12:20 AM

Poll: » Nihon Chinbotsu 2020 Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Gadottinho - Jul 9, 2020

70 by ImNotAnOtaku1 »»
Mar 29, 11:55 PM

Poll: » Nihon Chinbotsu 2020 Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Gadottinho - Jul 9, 2020

58 by ImNotAnOtaku1 »»
Mar 29, 11:32 PM

Poll: » Nihon Chinbotsu 2020 Episode 9 Discussion

Xenocrisi - Jul 9, 2020

31 by DontBodyYaSelf »»
Sep 30, 2023 4:33 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.