Forum Settings
Forums

Why One Piece fans seem to be so disconnected from the rest of the anime community?

Mar 20, 6:10 AM

I mean despite it getting a lot more popular in the last few years I always felt like the One Piece fandom even compering to other way more popular fandoms like MHA and AOT is much more disconnected from the rest of the anime community.

I know a lot of One Piece fans that barely even watch the new popular anime such as KNY, MHA, HxH, Jojo's and even AoT

Is it because One Piece is as people call "peak fiction" so they can't be bother to read/watch other lesser series?

Mar 20, 6:13 AM

well maybe those are just the ones you know, all the one piece fans i know still watch other anime. they all think it's peak fiction though compared to everything else.
"不幸だ!" - Kamijou Touma
Check out my anime list by clicking here (it's public now).

As long as they don’t shit on other other popular anime, they’re free to do whatever they like.

I haven't seen these "disconnected" One piece fans and I wouldn't call myself a "disconnected" One piece fan, so idk man.

Mar 20, 6:15 AM

Isn't this the case with most mainstream shonen fandoms? Like Dragon Ball Z and Naruto.... I have a lot of friends who don't bother watching any other anime other than sticking with DBZ for example.

It's just they find it more comfortable sometimes sticking to this one anime.

Mar 20, 6:22 AM

I've known toxic One Piece fans and normal One Piece fans.
But again toxic fans exist in every anime community so.

Mar 20, 6:22 AM

The case might be that you'r not hanging around on Twitter and Facebook where the OP fans is.

Culture is a group in Facebook where all shounen guys gathers, they hype up OP a lot, love to boast about how many volumes OP have sold through the years.
But when something like DS takes top 1 spot they shut the fack up and don't talk.

OP fans are rather quite as long as it's not a OP post where they can fight about who is the strongest and best main character.

OP fans are on the same lvl of stupid as the attack on titan and FMAB guys.

Mar 20, 6:25 AM
I mean, it's not like One Piece fans are going to announce it. "Hello everyone, I am a fan of One Piece, and I will be watching To Your Eternity this upcoming season. Thank you for your time". So you do see One Piece fans watching other shows, not every fan is going to center their identity with One Piece.

Also, we have to remember that One Piece was one of the Big 3 for a reason, it had huge mainstream appeal, which means there are a lot of casual fans. Even certain people who don't like anime might still watch One Piece, so really they don't have much reason to dive deeper into the medium. Like, I like Tupac's song Changes, but that doesn't mean I'm going to actually listen to other rap and hip hop songs, it's not a genre of music I want to go past the surface with. I might have worded that poorly, so TL;DR Not all One Piece fans are anime fans, it might just be the exception.

Mar 20, 6:28 AM

Maybe because they have a new episode of the anime they enjoy so much waiting for them every end of a week so why bother about other anime let alone fandoms. I was like that when I was following Naruto till it finishes. Kind of a blessing Boruto is dogshit lol that makes me eager to check other things out and keep in touch with the new stuffs.

Mar 20, 6:30 AM
One Piece has like 1000 episodes at this point and may as well be its own brand. Like Gundam, Precure, or Yu-Gi-Oh.

Mar 20, 6:39 AM

Shoko664 said:
I mean despite it getting a lot more popular in the last few years I always felt like the One Piece fandom even compering to other way more popular fandoms like MHA and AOT is much more disconnected from the rest of the anime community.

I know a lot of One Piece fans that barely even watch the new popular anime such as KNY, MHA, HxH, Jojo's and even AoT

Is it because One Piece is as people call "peak fiction" so they can't be bother to read/watch other lesser series?

I'm not sure where you're getting this from. I've seen plenty of OP fans engaging with the anime community.
Subarashii

Mar 20, 6:47 AM

From my experience with, well, actually interacting with One Piece fans as a fan myself, can't say I agree. One Piece fans first and firemost tend to be fans of Shonen Jump releases, so Naruto, HxH and Gintama are kind of common talking points from what I've observed, and every One Piece forum I've been in has entire subcommunities dedicated to other SJ shows. There's perhaps a little disconnect with more modern anime and manga, but that has to do with the fact a lot of fans are veterans and following the series for decades, so their comfort zone is not in the newest releases.

Mar 20, 6:47 AM

Idk, users don't announce "I'm a fan of this series", I've seen plenty OP fans in forums.

Tho others series are seasonal so suddenly their hype increases when a new season comes, but OP is eternal, it gets a new chap(3-1) and ep every week, there is plenty to discuss every week, that's where most discussions happen.

Mar 20, 6:49 AM

your last sentence is 10/10 :))
you know the saying: only a scared and weak dog will bark, one piece fans don't invade the forums proclaming OP to be peak fiction unlike others I know
"Even if there's a wide world and stories
beyond the main focus, I don't think
it's necessary to end with the protagonist having
been involved in everything." - Yagi Norihiro

Houseki no Kuni Club

My random anime ramblings blog on MAL

Mar 20, 6:55 AM
穂乃果は神

You can generalize a group of countless millions of fans, but it will never be right. It will always be a handful of people you have seen, which will always vary from one person to another.

In my case, most of the One Piece fans I have personally known (in real life or online), seen on MAL have watch hundreds (including myself), or even thousands of anime & manga.

It's not so much disconnected, more like "I'm more interested in this than anything else, because it's one of my favorites." which is okay. It's great actually, it's awesome that people can enjoy something so much. But it's less about people enjoying it, and more about the following;

We have 35-40 chapters a year, and 45-50 episodes a year, so the discussion train has no reason to stop. Of course you're going to see so much discussion. It's also most likely that you don't know these One Piece fans on a personal level, and don't know whatever else they watch. Do you expect them to announce whatever else they're doing? "Hey guys, One Piece fan here, on Chapter 673 and I'm also watching these two other anime."

I feel like shitting on One Piece fans is one of the lowest-hanging fruit at this point. if somebody isn't being toxic, I don't see the problem. if they are being toxic, then shit on them bro.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Mar 20, 7:01 AM

I tend to see the same thing. I think it is due to OP fans generally not watching much else when they are still new to anime. It does have a ton of episodes.

Mar 20, 7:36 AM
Whatever

That thing got like 1000 episodes and some One Piece fans even rewatch it. That's why. Some of them got no time for a lot of other series, I guess.

Mar 20, 7:39 AM

Shoko664 said:

No, it's because there's so many OP episodes to watch they don't even have time to eat or sleep, so watching other anime might be a long held dream for them.

I've seen the OP fandom watch other things too though, but OP at the same time seems different than other shounen. I'm not sure I'll ever become a true fan of this series since it didn't catch my attention very much back then when I watched the first 90 episodes and placed it on-hold. That was more than 10 years ago.

Mar 20, 8:47 AM

Shoko664 said:

I know a lot of Jojo's fans that barely even watch the new popular anime such as Cyborg 009, Pretty Cure, Gundam and even GeGeGe no Kitaro. Your point?
Modified by Lucifrost, Mar 20, 8:53 AM
デデデは偉い!デデデはすごい!
Seraph of the End ripped off Shade's Children.

Mar 20, 9:02 AM

I imagine it's because their fandom has so much content they don't need to leave the circle. That's the perk of a long series. If you like it, there's A LOT of it.

I'm the same with Aikatsu. It's actively been on my mind for like 5 years and I've had little reason to stop.

The PreCure rep in here tho +1

Mar 20, 9:06 AM

Mar 20, 9:15 AM

There is nothing wrong with liking a series so much to the point of thinking that it's "peak fiction", that term is pretty cringe to say but I see nothing wrong with liking something that much.
"You cut a weeb, and a pedophile bleeds." - Destiny

Mar 20, 9:38 AM

Eh, I don't think we're that disconnected.
Also, aren't most shounen fandoms like that..? There are AOT fans who think AOT is "peak fiction". Likewise, there are OP fans who think OP is "peak fiction"

I don't think it's "peak fiction" but I do think it's one of the most unique fantasy adventure anime out there. It reminds me The Faraway Tree children's novel I read when I was young. There's always a new land to explore and it never gets old. Instead of travelling on land, they travel by sea. Same reason I like the settings in Made in Abyss - Instead of going to space or to fly, the explorers go downwards into the earth.

Btw, HxH anime is not new. It came out in the same year as OP anime. The new HxH is just a reboot and continuation of the show.

CURRENT
ANIME: (rewatching some old stuff)
MANGA: -
NOVEL: -
MUSIC: Independence - Blue.D

Mar 20, 6:44 PM

I'm a one piece fan and I'm not disconnected at all.
I love One Piece and Gintama

Mar 20, 7:10 PM

I'd characterize the DBZ or even Naruto fanbase like this, because in the West (I'm assuming) people usually get into BnHA or Naruto or DBZ before One Piece. Most OP fans I've seen do interact with other anime

Mar 20, 7:11 PM

Shonen fans in general are all complete toxic cancer and you have users like Awokenstroken to show for that.

Mar 20, 7:23 PM

Im one piece fan and i watch every new stuff. I dont think its a peak fiction, i will agree it has one of the best character writing and world building but story is average, predictable and repetitive, going to island saving buch of people and defeating the villan. Till marineford i respect and has one piece as a fav...but im waiting for it to get better.

Mar 20, 7:25 PM

there are toxic fans in every fandom, please don't generalize.

Mar 20, 7:26 PM

When did MHA and AoT become more popular than One Piece?
the progeny of a dropped colony

Mar 20, 7:28 PM

They have a lot of episodes to get through thats all :p I havent noticed OP fans being disconnected though they seem normal.

Mar 20, 8:33 PM

Really? Ime , I’ve only seen this with Dragon Ball fans

Mar 20, 9:13 PM

JustAn0ther0taku said:
Isn't this the case with most mainstream shonen fandoms? Like Dragon Ball Z and Naruto.... I have a lot of friends who don't bother watching any other anime other than sticking with DBZ for example.

It's just they find it more comfortable sometimes sticking to this one anime.

I can attest to this. For the longest the only anime I watched was DBZ. It wasn’t anything against other anime I just stuck with what I liked. Over the past couple years I started watching everything else and I really wish I would’ve done so awhile back. I haven’t seen One Piece yet but I’ve heard good things.

Mar 21, 5:15 AM

AwokenStroken said:
There is nothing wrong with liking a series so much to the point of thinking that it's "peak fiction", that term is pretty cringe to say but I see nothing wrong with liking something that much.

Well obviously you are literally a fanatic for shonen shows so of course you would say lolcow nonsense like that.