Forum Settings
Forums

Just remove the 30 character limit for forum posts

New
Mar 10, 2021 7:06 AM

Jul 2020
Seriously, everyone who uses the forums on MAL, myself included, are getting REALLY tired of the 30 character limit for forum posts. Seriously, some of the stuff that we want to say aren't even that long at all and we always have to type in "(30 character limit)" if we want to post our forum posts on those threads. Seriously, why is this even a thing? Honestly, you should just remove the 30 character limit for forum posts because what's even the point of adding that rule for forum posts.

It's hard to win an argument against smart people, but impossible to win an argument against dumb ones.
Mar 10, 2021 7:50 AM

Feb 2018
It's not a problem, I often post over 1000+ words, but if you post on a "series" board you can probably post a minimum of 15 words, maybe... If i'm not mistake, xD. I think you need at least 30 words which is a good rule, because I don't want to read "good episode", "amazing", "oh", and "ah".

Games and clubs' forums are not bound by these rules, maybe.
Mar 10, 2021 8:40 AM

Oct 2019
Syureria said:
It's not a problem, I often post over 1000+ words, but if you post on a "series" board you can probably post a minimum of 15 words, maybe... If i'm not mistake, xD. I think you need at least 30 words which is a good rule, because I don't want to read "good episode", "amazing", "oh", and "ah".

I disagree. You don't want to read "good episode", "amazing", "oh", and "ah"? Well, guess what? You can write equally pointless replies with more words. If there's no need to write more then you shouldn't have to. There are many times when you can answer exactly what a forum is asking in just a couple of words.
Mar 10, 2021 9:06 AM

Dec 2019
agreed!!!
Click here to see My Tampermonkey Scripts For MAL

If you like my work, please consider supporting it!
https://www.patreon.com/hacker09

Mar 10, 2021 9:27 AM

Sep 2012
simulatedhel said:
Syureria said:

I disagree. You don't want to read "good episode", "amazing", "oh", and "ah"? Well, guess what? You can write equally pointless replies with more words. If there's no need to write more then you shouldn't have to. There are many times when you can answer exactly what a forum is asking in just a couple of words.

I also disagree. Why bother taking the time to click on a forum post just to type up some irrelevant shit such as "cool", or "yes"? Are you after your post count (I'm assuming you are by that 1300 mark).
Mar 10, 2021 11:30 AM

Aug 2014
I will be honest I get how annoying 30 character minimum is but think of how annoying the forums would be if it wasn't... imagine if they did so for this post alone

"Please remove the 30 characters limit"

"Yes"

"No"

"!"

"Yeah"

"?"

"AngryFace"

"WTF"

"!?"

"Is 30 really a problem for you"

"Agreed"

"Agreed"

"Yes Agreed"

Mar 10, 2021 12:08 PM

Feb 2021
If I understand correctly, what people are asking is exactly the reason why social media websites added reaction emoticons so that the topic doesn't get flooded with one word replies.
Mar 10, 2021 12:08 PM

Oct 2019
Doflamingo45 said:
simulatedhel said:

I also disagree. Why bother taking the time to click on a forum post just to type up some irrelevant shit such as "cool", or "yes"? Are you after your post count (I'm assuming you are by that 1300 mark).
Perhaps the character limit could be reduced if the issue is mainly the overflow of one word answers? I simply don't wish to beat around the bush so that I can fill a quota of words. And this is even more prominent when you are replying to someone within a forum. For example, somebody was confused about something and wanted a little clarification. Most people who will fool around already do so even with 30 characters limit. "Yes, I absolutely agree with you. Finally, someone with some sense in this thread" or "Yesss!!! I totally agree with you. 30 Characters Limit" Are these less annoying than "Agreed"? People write more because they want to. I wrote all this because I wanted to say this. Most people who do not want to write more will write any random crap to fill the quota. For the most part, you won't get more insightful replies with a character limit.

Also, the 1300 mark? Did you confuse me with the guy below me or were you implying that I am following in his footsteps (since he wrote one word)?
simulatedhelMar 10, 2021 12:59 PM
Mar 10, 2021 12:10 PM

Jan 2009
no just make it 15 characters instead

i do not want to go back to the time when MAL is full of youtube videos, +1 and quote pyramids
Mar 10, 2021 12:14 PM

Oct 2019
automaweeb said:
If I understand correctly, what people are asking is exactly the reason why social media websites added reaction emoticons so that the topic doesn't get flooded with one word replies.
So, how many words are there with 30 characters?
Mar 10, 2021 12:18 PM

Feb 2021
simulatedhel said:
automaweeb said:

I mean the reason they added this limit is so that threads don't get flooded with hundreds of +1/agreed/disagreed/etc. replies. If people can just react to the post itself, there is no need to reply and so the 30 characters limit is irrelevant because people won't be spamming (In theory).
automaweebMar 10, 2021 12:27 PM
Mar 10, 2021 12:25 PM

Oct 2019
automaweeb said:
simulatedhel said:

I mean the reason they added this limit is so that threads don't get flooded with hundreds of +1/agreed/disagreed/etc. replies. If people can just react to the post itself, there is no need to reply and so the 30 characters limit is irrelevant because people won't be spamming (In theory).
I understand. I was referring to the person above asking it to be reduced to 15. "+1", "Agreed", "Disagreed", none of these are even close to 30 characters.
Mar 10, 2021 4:32 PM

Jan 2020
I actually disagree. If that were the case, a lot of replies would just be "yep", "nah", "I agree", etc. and it wouldn't provide any discussion and it would feel more obstructive to look through forums.

Mar 10, 2021 8:25 PM

Sep 2014
ManWild said:
I actually disagree. If that were the case, a lot of replies would just be "yep", "nah", "I agree", etc. and it wouldn't provide any discussion and it would feel more obstructive to look through forums.

Yes I'm having pre-2015 flashbacks where spam were common things in every threads. Things would get intensely worse if it stayed like that in 2021.
Mar 10, 2021 8:27 PM

Sep 2014
just put the empty space character in it lol

« »
đź”® Tojo Nozomi
Washi Washi
Mar 11, 2021 4:33 AM

Aug 2020
Forreal! its so god dam annoying when im only a few letters of 30 so i have to make the word longer or somth.

More topics from this board

» Local Language districts

kuroneko99 - Yesterday

5 by Luchipher-Zen »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » Change picture of favorite character ( 1 2 )

gehoti2822 - Nov 12, 2022

60 by AgravityBoy »»
Today, 9:09 AM

» Corporate images

Noctisnox - May 15, 2023

19 by himanshi122 »»
Apr 19, 5:51 AM

» Reply button should show text that will be quoted.

Euthymia_Gerv - Apr 15

8 by Alexioos95 »»
Apr 18, 10:22 AM

» @ sign spam/attack

kuroneko99 - Apr 16

3 by Jhiday »»
Apr 17, 11:11 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.