Forum Settings
Forums

MAL Rewrite: Calling all grammar gurus and proofreading pros!

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 13, 2021 12:02 AM
Mar 2021
hexashadow13 said:
Why do you have to submit a sample synopsis to be an editor?
Well, they are assessing both writing and editing skills. If you can do both (and I am not a Rewrite partner, but I applied and hope to be soon :p), I believe it boosts your chances of getting accepted into the MAL Rewrite program. They want the most skilled candidates for the job, so being able to do both is huge. Also, the way Google Forms works, you have to take the whole exam, no matter what you choose, editor or writer.
Mar 13, 2021 1:12 AM
serial obsessive

Jan 2012
hexashadow13 said:

I would say that, as an Editor, you are not just checking for spelling and grammar mistakes. You need to have an idea of what a good synopsis sounds like, in order to make suggestions regarding tone and flow.

But I'm not the one who created the Editor test nor am I the one who reviews Editor apps, so I'm not sure if that's the true intent. 😅

Also, if you're not accepted as an Editor right away, you may be offered a position as a Writer to begin with.
Forever a reader, rarely a watcher. Also listens to music.

⸢There are three ways to survive in a ruined world.⸥
⸢I’ve forgotten a few by now. However, one thing’s for certain.⸥
⸢And that is, the you reading these words will get to survive.⸥
⸢This story is for just that one reader.⸥
Mar 13, 2021 5:10 AM

Apr 2018
Dayari said:
Qfu10 said:
This is an open invitation

Don't fall for it, MAL Rewrite is full of middle-aged Indian men.

This is accurate
Source: I am a middle aged Indian man in Rewrite
Dot4447Mar 13, 2021 6:40 AM
Mar 13, 2021 8:37 AM

Aug 2018
hexashadow13 said:

Because we need to know if you're a competent writer before trusting you to edit synopses.
Mar 13, 2021 9:50 AM
Aug 2016
You can correct some errors of manga entry's of Eikou no Napoleon (Logged in as Eikou of Napoleon) please?
Mar 13, 2021 10:58 AM

Aug 2018
DracheWhitecape said:
You can correct some errors of manga entry's of Eikou no Napoleon (Logged in as Eikou of Napoleon) please?

Can you provide a link to the entry you mean? If it doesn't have the [Written by MAL Rewrite] at the end of the synopsis, then we're not responsible for it.
Mar 13, 2021 11:33 AM
Aug 2016
Here: https://myanimelist.net/manga/12842/Eikou_of_Napoleon

Things like the name (is wong, apparently mixed with the English name, the right name is Eikou "in" Napoleon, instead of the english "of") the amount of chaps (is 84), and even the Lack of input from various characters in the manga. I had already sent several suggestions for correction weeks ago but so far they have not accepted anything: s
Mar 14, 2021 3:10 AM

Sep 2018
Uchuuu said:

I think there is an evidently stronger sense of community. There are dozens of people who volunteer to do this, and we should respect that. That bar is not set that high either. The application test may look intimidating but in general, we are quite generous towards them.

As someone who failed twice this hurts XD.
Mar 14, 2021 8:05 AM

Apr 2018
MangaZed said:
Uchuuu said:

I think there is an evidently stronger sense of community. There are dozens of people who volunteer to do this, and we should respect that. That bar is not set that high either. The application test may look intimidating but in general, we are quite generous towards them.

As someone who failed twice this hurts XD.

Don't be disheartened at failing! There is always next time. Failure doesn't show incompetence but potential for growth. I failed the editor application twice myself, but even as a writer, it feels great being in the community, and I've learnt a lot seeing how editors work on the synopses other writers and I write. Using synopses Rewrite has already uploaded to MAL might be a good option if you need references.
If you ever end up giving the application another go, I wish you best of luck for it.
Mar 14, 2021 12:57 PM

Jan 2021
Gotta rewrite redo of fucking healer.
I watch anime and love my anime. And not to forget, live for anime
Mar 15, 2021 1:40 AM

Apr 2018
Hikiino said:
Gotta rewrite redo of fucking healer.

The rewritten synopsis for Redo of Healer is already uploaded to MAL. Synopse from rewrite have a [Written by MAL Rewrite] at the end.
Mar 15, 2021 6:58 AM
Dec 2020
Seems pretty cool but, even though English is my first and native language, I am terrible with grammar and misspell words constantly.
Mar 15, 2021 7:30 AM

Feb 2019
Raikou243HD said:
Seems pretty cool but, even though English is my first and native language, I am terrible with grammar and misspell words constantly.

Everything comes with practice. The famous saying, "Practice makes perfect" is evidently flawed; however, practices makes progress. This goes to say for everything else in life, whether it be academics, sports, or even gaming. If you're willing to put in effort, you can turn what seemed to be impossible to something that can be reached by your bare hands.
ziIIaMar 15, 2021 7:35 AM
Mar 15, 2021 9:53 PM
Mar 2021
Soo cool
Mar 16, 2021 11:28 AM

Oct 2019
Is there a specific requirement for how active you have to be on the site?
Mar 16, 2021 12:26 PM

Mar 2016
"Calling all Will Huntings to actually do janitorial services (as expected)" should be the name of this post.
Lie until what you want to be true becomes truth. Lie until you can't remember what's a lie and what isn't.  Lie until you aren't lying anymore!
Figures
Mar 16, 2021 1:24 PM
serial obsessive

Jan 2012
bladeof_crimson7 said:

You don't have to be active on MAL. There is an initial quota for how many synopses you have to write or edit in your first month after joining Rewrite, but after you meet that quota, you can work at your own pace.

Mar 16, 2021 1:25 PM

Oct 2019
complexities said:
bladeof_crimson7 said:

You don't have to be active on MAL. There is an initial quota for how many synopses you have to write or edit in your first month after joining Rewrite, but after you meet that quota, you can work at your own pace.
alright, thank you
Mar 16, 2021 7:42 PM
Jul 2018
hmm, interesting
Mar 18, 2021 8:25 PM

Mar 2010
Is the editing prompt based on an actual anime/manga? I have no clue what it is trying to say at points so I'm not sure how to fix it in such a way that it doesn't change the meaning. >_>
Mar 19, 2021 7:41 AM
Aug 2020
Me am right good. Higher me!
Mar 19, 2021 10:18 AM

Feb 2019
hexashadow13 said:
Is the editing prompt based on an actual anime/manga? I have no clue what it is trying to say at points so I'm not sure how to fix it in such a way that it doesn't change the meaning. >_>

Hello, the editing prompt is not based off an actual anime/manga, but the details given should be sufficient. I think slowly going through the prompt point by point will help you.
Mar 19, 2021 6:38 PM
Oct 2020
Well, I sure am interested in editing quite a few synopses I've read in the past on this platform 👀
Mar 20, 2021 3:19 AM

Feb 2019
Was going to apply until I spotted the style guide favours American Spellings. Get outta here with your baby talk.
Well I for one already loved Lain.
Mar 20, 2021 3:37 AM
serial obsessive

Jan 2012
Thigh_Tide said:
Was going to apply until I spotted the style guide favours American Spellings. Get outta here with your baby talk.

Believe me, I feel your pain. But I've gotten used to switching between Canadian English and American English depending on whether I'm doing Rewrite work or not.

Mar 20, 2021 4:05 PM

Mar 2010
I failed. As someone whose first language is English and that works a job that is mostly just writing, that stings. lol
Mar 20, 2021 6:26 PM
Jun 2015
@complexities I've grown familiar with English through British English, so I have to remind myself every single time, that "colour" is "color" and "honour" is "honor" and so on. The style guide helps a lot though, and you can get used to employing the American-style in your works, and whatever you prefer in your private correspondence.

@hexashadow13 - Without assuming anything, I'd encourage you to give it another go. There can be a lot of different reasons beyond a rejection, perhaps the problem was related to formatting.
Mar 20, 2021 6:31 PM
serial obsessive

Jan 2012
Bakscica1337 said:
@hexashadow13 - Without assuming anything, I'd encourage you to give it another go. There can be a lot of different reasons beyond a rejection, perhaps the problem was related to formatting.
@hexashadow13 As Bakscica said, it doesn't hurt to try again in the future. It could have been formatting, factual inaccuracy, or composition too similar to the existing synopsis that resulted in your application being denied. You can ask for feedback on your application, and I'd strongly recommend doing so.

Mar 22, 2021 2:10 AM
Jan 2021
Nice Nice
Mar 23, 2021 5:37 AM
Feb 2021
Oh yeah this is awsome
Mar 24, 2021 2:55 PM

Oct 2015
I'm not necessarily of the opinion that this ought to be paid work, but I'd at least expect some perks for it you know. Like, say, any of the MAL supporter benefits. The idea of having your site users do pretty valuable and non-trivial work—the texts I see under the tag MAL Rewrite have all been nothing to scoff at—for nothing more than the momentary thrill of having your work be displayed publicly, which you can attain easily by submitting manga or characters to the database anyway, doesn't sit well with me. Especially in the case of a corporate entity. In either case that's my two cents on the subject.
Sep 19, 2021 3:11 PM

Apr 2020
If you're good at something, don't do it for free. Is this just volunteer work?

Sep 19, 2021 3:20 PM

Jun 2019
Jezzman said:
If you're good at something, don't do it for free. Is this just volunteer work?

Forum moderators are not paid either, and they need to accomplish daily and time-consuming tasks. In Rewrite, you work at your own pace, so this is only expected that you do not receive any paid advantage... besides the privilege to write a synopsis for Death Note.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Heavenly Easter Delusion: Devil and Dolce ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Mar 27

3327 by Reaper_al »»
29 minutes ago

» New Site Update: Peak Anime 🗻 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Mar 31

210 by Kye_xz »»
Today, 4:02 AM

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kineta - Feb 23

194 by Seruki123 »»
Yesterday, 9:54 AM

» MAL Game "Fantasy Anime League" Opens for Spring 2024 ( 1 2 3 )

Kineta - Mar 17

144 by The_real_maomao »»
Apr 9, 4:26 PM

» English Titles Added to Desktop; Moving Towards a Romanized/English Toggle ( 1 2 3 )

Kineta - Feb 12, 2020

121 by Vaturna »»
Apr 4, 5:31 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.