Forum Settings
Forums

MAL Rewrite: Calling all grammar gurus and proofreading pros!

New
Mar 9, 2021 10:17 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007

Rewriting one crummy synopsis at a time.

3,600+ synopses uploaded, and counting!

What is MAL Rewrite?
MAL Rewrite is a project tasked with the goal of rewriting all anime and manga synopses in our databases. Yes, all. We think that trustworthy, well-written synopses by the community for the community is one important factor when deciding what to watch/read. Towards this goal, we hold two recruitment drives per year to recruit users who are also passionate about synopses, and want to give a little of their time to MAL in a productive way.

How do I get involved?
Interested in volunteering? MAL Rewrite is currently looking for:
  • Editors: Users who possess excellent grammar skills and are proofreading ninjas with a keen eye for detail and accuracy. English does not have to be your native language. All editors must be good writers (and you can still write synopsis as an editor, too!).

• Writers: Users who have an aptitude and passion for writing and producing superior content. English does not have to be your native language. It's preferable that you've watched/read the series you're writing about.

Ready to participate?
Submit the MAL Rewrite Application Form. We will evaluate your writing and/or editing skills, and if we find that you meet our requirements, you will be invited to join the club. Please note that MAL Rewrite is always recruiting. There is no deadline.

We look forward to your submissions :)
KinetaMar 13, 2021 9:34 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 9, 2021 10:19 PM

Dec 2014
Sound interesting
Signature removed. Check your inbox
Mar 9, 2021 11:08 PM

Feb 2021
oh cool

Mar 10, 2021 1:07 AM

Feb 2019
Good thing
Mar 10, 2021 1:07 AM

Jul 2020
this means new writers will join :>>>

Good luck to everyone <3
no
Mar 10, 2021 1:41 AM
Review Moderator
Life is strange.

Jun 2017
Yes, join, join, join! It'll be super fun!!
Mar 10, 2021 1:58 AM
Mar 2019
This is an open invitation
Mar 10, 2021 2:00 AM

Jan 2013
Qfu10 said:

Not gonna lie, you ALMOST got me.
Mar 10, 2021 2:27 AM

May 2017
Qfu10 said:

Don't fall for it, MAL Rewrite is full of middle-aged Indian men.
Mar 10, 2021 2:30 AM
Jul 2018
damn sound cool
Mar 10, 2021 2:38 AM

Jan 2020
Mar 10, 2021 3:40 AM

Feb 2019
MAL Rewrite sounds like a fun place.
Mar 10, 2021 3:41 AM

Aug 2019
Might apply just so I can write a real synopsis for Blue Exorcist Gekijouban.
SAT0riiMar 10, 2021 3:52 AM
Mar 10, 2021 4:25 AM
Jun 2020
Good luck to everyone.

I tried it once and an editor replied with some incomprehensible phrases. They are too advanced for us mere mortals.
Mar 10, 2021 8:58 AM

Aug 2018
SAT0rii said:
Might apply just so I can write a real synopsis for Blue Exorcist Gekijouban.

This is the kind of motivation we all have, just writing for series we like.

cigare said:
Good luck to everyone.

I tried it once and an editor replied with some incomprehensible phrases. They are too advanced for us mere mortals.

Please tell me the name of said editor I would love to chat with them!
Mar 10, 2021 9:11 AM

Aug 2019
Right, so I just applied, and for some reason, it was one of the most nerve-wracking exams I've ever had. Just knowing that every sentence, every word of every sentence, and every letter of every word of every sentence I put down was going to be analyzed and evaluated with incredible scrutiny got my nerves going and my heart pumping man.

I'm not even this nervous on my math graphing exams, holy hell.
Mar 10, 2021 9:22 AM
Community Mod
+ Manga DB Staff

Feb 2017
For people who are tired of seeing No synopsis information has been added to this title. Help improve our database by adding a synopsis here. (especially for manga entries, because I know those are common :'D), this is the perfect opportunity to contribute. Plus, Rewrite as a whole is just plenty of fun.

If I was able to join Rewrite, surely you can.
Mar 10, 2021 9:49 AM
Manga Moderator
Flying Stingray

Feb 2015
join us, it's fun
Mar 10, 2021 9:50 AM
Dayari said:
Qfu10 said:

this is 100% true
Mar 10, 2021 12:00 PM

Oct 2018
please feed us we've been locked in the basement forced to write summaries for 17 days now.

I just want to see my kids again, at least the sunlight?
youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0
73 6f 6d 65 74 68 69 6e 67 73 20 6f 64 64 20 61 62 6f 75 74 20 6d 79 20 70 72 6f 66 69 6c 65 0d 0a
Mar 10, 2021 12:39 PM

Jul 2019
If you are that one person looking for an honest opinion. MAL Rewrite is fine but stay away from chat lol, very people there ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°).

Not really that fun but it is cool to be part of the team. 6/10 +1/10 for writing practice and help they give.
Mar 10, 2021 5:39 PM

May 2015
I would join but I sometimes find myself speaking the language of the gods
Mar 10, 2021 5:54 PM

Jan 2020
Kinda scared to join. But how is it like to be apart of MAL Rewrite?
ims-tokyoMar 10, 2021 6:01 PM
Mar 10, 2021 8:15 PM

Nov 2011
It feels to me this should be paid work. MAL has long become a for-profit website, owned by a media company, filled with ads and streaming partners, subscriptions and did away with fansubs information.
There's really no more feeling that it is a community driven website other than the forums.
I'm not saying this is necessarily bad, as it has ensured MAL's survival, but why should people do this for free, especially when you set the bar high?
Mar 10, 2021 10:01 PM
Mar 2021
Hola soy nuevo, estaba buscando un hentai en dónde las alumnas se burlan del profesor por tener mal olor, el profesor agarra a una chica de pelo azul, alguien sabe cómo se llama?
Mar 10, 2021 10:33 PM

Feb 2021
This is awesome! Can we get some experiences from users that were or are editors/writers?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 11, 2021 1:32 AM

Aug 2018
danann said:
It feels to me this should be paid work. MAL has long become a for-profit website, owned by a media company, filled with ads and streaming partners, subscriptions and did away with fansubs information.
There's really no more feeling that it is a community driven website other than the forums.
I'm not saying this is necessarily bad, as it has ensured MAL's survival, but why should people do this for free, especially when you set the bar high?

I think there is an evidently stronger sense of community. There are dozens of people who volunteer to do this, and we should respect that. That bar is not set that high either. The application test may look intimidating but in general, we are quite generous towards them.

ims-tokyo said:

It's a fun and interesting community. Working with multiple other people on synopses and taking part in our other events and shenanigans is quite refreshing.
Mar 11, 2021 3:07 AM
Sep 2020
TheZilla said:
MAL Rewrite sounds like a fun place.

Naisu self promo Zilla! <3
Mar 11, 2021 4:13 AM
Review Moderator
Life is strange.

Jun 2017
Pasivoarmario777 said:
Hola soy nuevo, estaba buscando un hentai en dónde las alumnas se burlan del profesor por tener mal olor, el profesor agarra a una chica de pelo azul, alguien sabe cómo se llama?

¿Quizás estás hablando de "Seikatsu Shidou?" Además, este podría ser el hilo equivocado para preguntar, amigo.
AlexPaulLEWZMar 11, 2021 9:10 AM
Mar 11, 2021 4:38 AM
Aug 2019
It's cool stuff. Join in and write with us :)
Mar 11, 2021 5:45 AM
Sep 2015
danann said:

Absolutely agreed. Why work for free? Just for the experience?
Mar 11, 2021 6:00 AM
Mar 2021
I must say that this is a great post.Really I am impressed from this post.

https://sites.google.com/view/offifceesetup/office-comsetup
Mar 11, 2021 6:21 AM
Aug 2020
man, seems like fun, but im scared of rejection so i probably won't fill out the form
Mar 11, 2021 6:44 AM
funny how the only people that think this should be paid work aren't actually in rewrite
Mar 11, 2021 7:09 AM

Jul 2020
Mythologically said:
Dayari said:

this is 100% true
The middle age indian people getting they unpaid job done tho so who can be mad

Mar 11, 2021 8:15 AM

Sep 2020
Dayari said:
Qfu10 said:

Can you please tell me what do you mean by that? I couldn't understand

WHAT A LAUGHABLE ATTEMPT.
YOU SHOULD JUST STAY WHERE YOU ARE
, GROVELING AT MY FEET

P.S. PLEASE HELP ME GAIN MORE PROFILE VIEWS
Mar 11, 2021 11:01 AM

Jan 2020
Definitely partcipating, good luck to everyone particpating as well!
Mar 11, 2021 12:07 PM

Nov 2013
Just finished filling out the application. Been meaning to try joining for a while. I've finally found a work-life balance that works, so I feel the time is right.

Best of luck to everyone too. :)
MystMar 11, 2021 12:12 PM

Mar 11, 2021 12:57 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
danann said:
MAL has long become a for-profit website, owned by a media company, filled with ads and streaming partners, subscriptions and did away with fansubs information.
I don't want to derail this thread but I disagree. MAL has always had a very strong value of "content created by the community for the community." To phrase it another way, "the community knows best what the community wants." It is a website built in many ways by its members, maintained by its members, and continues to be. To lose the community aspect of MAL would be to lose a big part of MAL itself.

MAL Rewrite is a subcommunity of that larger community, consisting of people passionate about having good synopses for other community members to enjoy. If that isn't your passion or you're unable to share your time, that's fine. But not everything we do in life must have a dollar value attached to it.
Mar 11, 2021 1:50 PM
Jun 2015
JOELbedulla said:
danann said:

It is up to you to judge what is a "valid reason" for investing your time and energy. I am a newbie here and applied, so that I would be able to give some love to titles that I like and challenge myself on those that I don't (yet). Above all, it is a project that can be really fun, so thinking of it as work seems really strange to me. Then again, it really is up to you how to view it.

I hope a lot of people will join - could use some interns running for coffee! *evil grin*
Mar 11, 2021 1:58 PM

Jan 2020
JOELbedulla said:
danann said:

I'm participating exactly for the experience, I just want to shapen out writing skills!
Mar 11, 2021 2:27 PM
Feb 2018
🤚 Petition to change some misspelled names like Eren "Yeager" too. I know it's accepted by Kodansha but I'm certain that they did that so we dumbasses could get the pronunciation right, but "Yeager" is beyond incorrect. Ask any German for confirmation
Mar 11, 2021 3:01 PM

Nov 2011
I appreciate the answers.

Kineta said:
I don't want to derail this thread but I disagree. MAL has always had a very strong value of "content created by the community for the community." To phrase it another way, "the community knows best what the community wants." It is a website built in many ways by its members, maintained by its members, and continues to be. To lose the community aspect of MAL would be to lose a big part of MAL itself.

I don't fully agree, but can understand and respect a different view.
I don't mean to derail the thread either so I rest my case.

Have fun y'all.
Mar 11, 2021 7:06 PM
serial obsessive

Jan 2012
NextUniverse said:
If you are that one person looking for an honest opinion. MAL Rewrite is fine but stay away from chat lol, very people there ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°).

Not really that fun but it is cool to be part of the team. 6/10 +1/10 for writing practice and help they give.

I'm not going to lie, I found the chat pretty crazy when I first joined, and at times I still do. But I think you need to be a part of the club's discord to really benefit from the sense of community that comes with being part of Rewrite.

In the months before I joined the discord - and for the months after I left - I felt totally disconnected and had close to zero motivation to keep writing or editing. Now I've bounced back.

Myst said:
I've finally found a work-life balance that works, so I feel the time is right.

I really envy you. Can I have some of that balance? :P

Mod Edit: Merged double post.
KinetaMar 11, 2021 10:35 PM
Forever a reader, rarely a watcher. Also listens to music.

⸢There are three ways to survive in a ruined world.⸥
⸢I’ve forgotten a few by now. However, one thing’s for certain.⸥
⸢And that is, the you reading these words will get to survive.⸥
⸢This story is for just that one reader.⸥
Mar 12, 2021 1:07 AM
May 2018
Submitted my app. Sounds fun. Hope my skills will be of use. :P
"I'll take a potato chip... and eat it!" - Light Yagami, God of the New World
Mar 12, 2021 1:44 AM
Mar 2021
danann said:
This is because some people, like myself, just want to improve the site by adding and improving synopses entries to anime and mange series. While they may be profiting, I would do this for free. I may even find it fun. I actively edit Wikipedia articles for fun, and I enjoy being able to help. Being able to do that about a topic I enjoy is sufficient payment.
Mar 12, 2021 12:55 PM
Jul 2018
Noice
Mar 12, 2021 5:48 PM

Jan 2020
Uchuuu said:
danann said:

I think there is an evidently stronger sense of community. There are dozens of people who volunteer to do this, and we should respect that. That bar is not set that high either. The application test may look intimidating but in general, we are quite generous towards them.

ims-tokyo said:

It's a fun and interesting community. Working with multiple other people on synopses and taking part in our other events and shenanigans is quite refreshing.

Oh I see. How is the production process like, when it comes to writing the synopses? And what other things does the MAL Rewrite team do, other then writing synopses? As you mentioned that the team participates in other events or shenanigans.
Mar 12, 2021 8:31 PM
serial obsessive

Jan 2012
ims-tokyo said:
Uchuuu said:

Oh I see. How is the production process like, when it comes to writing the synopses? And what other things does the MAL Rewrite team do, other then writing synopses? As you mentioned that the team participates in other events or shenanigans.

The writer puts together their synopsis and it goes through two phases of editing. Then the writer has the option to do a "final edit" of their work before it is reviewed by coordinators and uploaded.

Other events may refer to parties or spontaneous game nights that are sometimes organised in chat, if you decide to join the discord server.
Forever a reader, rarely a watcher. Also listens to music.

⸢There are three ways to survive in a ruined world.⸥
⸢I’ve forgotten a few by now. However, one thing’s for certain.⸥
⸢And that is, the you reading these words will get to survive.⸥
⸢This story is for just that one reader.⸥
Mar 12, 2021 11:21 PM

Mar 2010
Why do you have to submit a sample synopsis to be an editor?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

207 by Shin_016 »»
Yesterday, 7:32 PM

» Try MAL's New Mobile Site! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Xinil - Feb 15, 2015

423 by RED-clover12 »»
Yesterday, 10:19 AM

» Planned 5hr Maintenance, Thursday April 25 @ 1am-6am PT

Kineta - Apr 22

0 by Kineta »»
Apr 22, 8:10 PM

» New Site Update: Peak Anime 🗻 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Mar 31

213 by Lancelot73 »»
Apr 21, 4:28 AM

» Heavenly Easter Delusion: Devil and Dolce ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Mar 27

3331 by Terra_strong »»
Apr 17, 8:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.