Forum Settings
Forums

Do you prefer longer running anime series or shorter series that have a few seasons?

New
Mar 8, 2021 3:41 AM
Aug 2020
I was just thinking about this because with longer series even though there is more to watch the story line and animation can deteriorate after a while, case in point Fairy Tail or Naruto. Or do you prefer shorter but better series like Violet Evergarden, Death Note, Death Parade and others? Just curious
Mar 8, 2021 3:44 AM

Mar 2020
I prefer seasons.
I don't care how many, but a format like BNHA or Natsume Yuujinchou that gets 10-20 something episodes per season just feels easier to handle and more manageable than longer running series like Naruto, Fairy Tail, etc.
Of course shorter series like Death Parade, are the most preferable.
But even for longer series, broken down into shorter series just feels better.
Mar 8, 2021 3:45 AM
Jul 2013
Long running anime has a lot of fillers and repeated scenes, which I hate the most. (e.g Naruto, One Piece etc)

So short ones to the point story based seasons are best.
Mar 8, 2021 3:47 AM

Sep 2020
Dependss but both are okay for mee:)
Mar 8, 2021 3:48 AM

Mar 2020
short anime seasons of long running series are great because you will get more budget per season and have some amazing animation to look forward to
Mar 8, 2021 3:53 AM

Aug 2018
depends on the anime, but i'm fine with both.
Mar 8, 2021 5:04 AM
危ないお兄さん

Nov 2016
Medium run anime better than long or short run certainly at least 2 cours required to fill neat contents even all my favorites contains at least 24+ eps except Angel Beats

Mar 8, 2021 5:07 AM

Feb 2019
I'm a big fan of long running series. Though i also like short running series.
Sakuta002766Mar 8, 2021 5:10 AM
Mar 8, 2021 5:08 AM

Mar 2018
Shorter series, I cannot commit week by week to any series that’s why all the airing series I want to watch are on hold until they end
DaokoscakeMar 8, 2021 11:01 AM
Mar 8, 2021 5:08 AM

Apr 2019
I prefer longer running, because that commitment of funding by the producers gives more freedom for pacing, world building, and character development. If the screenwriters are never sure if there is a sequel, they are forced to to equivalent of quaterly thinking narration with pseudo-finales.

Mar 8, 2021 5:24 AM

Feb 2020
I like Long running series overall. They are lot more forgivable for me compared to a short series. Most Short series are unfortunately uncomplete (with little content) or anime original. At least should it should have decent length of episode. I am definitely not gone give high score (like 10/10) to a really short series ( my lowest episode count favorite is itazura na kiss is 25 episode and other favorites are 30+. Also now that i check my list anime like The Great Passage, tatami galaxy and ping pong are stuck at 9 because I am subconsciously critical about episode count).

but still its a lot easier to watch short series ( especially when u don't like the anime very much). On the other hand if its a series I like then i would desire it to be long.

AdampkMar 8, 2021 5:37 AM
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Mar 8, 2021 5:29 AM

Jan 2021
At first i prefered longer running animes, but now i enjoy ones with like 12 to 26 episodes. Idk why but i like them more.

チュブリツァ

Mar 8, 2021 6:06 AM

Jan 2008
Longer running or complete anime. Don't like anime that runs for only two or three seasons but doesn't have an actual conclusion.
Mar 8, 2021 6:09 AM

Nov 2018
Long running prefer-Just sit aside and watch till the end.
"When they're alive, you can enjoy watching them struggle. When they're dead, you can enjoy tearing out their guts. Tales are things you get to enjoy twice."
Mar 8, 2021 6:15 AM

Jul 2020
I like the shorter ones because I barely have the time to invest in long-term shows. I am currently watching some long-terms shows but that's because my friends have watched them and want me to watch them.
Mar 8, 2021 6:16 AM

Oct 2019
Attack on Titan has 72 eps and counting, and although it seems long, for me it felt like I breezed through it because of how good it was.
It all comes down to the content and how much you enjoy watching it, it even influences how long the series seems to the viewer, at least imo.
As for animation, only if it dips to an unwatchable level of quality for majority of the episodes will I drop it; and by unwatchable I mean something like the last two episodes of Evangelion, holy hell were they shit.
Mar 8, 2021 6:18 AM
May 2020
I was deciding what to first watch HxH or JoJo because it has almost the same amount of episode.

And thus my watching experience being bizarre. I prefer split up season, rather than continuous.
Mar 8, 2021 7:44 AM
Jul 2018
Its much easier to just watched 960 episodes of one piece than it is to worry about what different gintama season you're in, how many episodes you're into that season, how many episodes you've watched overall. I don't see a difference when watching, this is purely an annoyance when logging on mal.
Mar 8, 2021 7:46 AM

Jan 2009
i prefer seasonal if its like My Hero Academia that is yearly release with good quality animation and less to no fillers
Mar 8, 2021 7:52 AM

Jan 2021
Short ones with great plot is best.
Long seasonal ones with great plot and no filler is good.
Long seasonal ones with 3-4 filler episodes per season is acceptable.
Long not seasonal ones (like Naruto or 1P) with really much fillers is not acceptable for me. (They can be good but I cannot handle it :D)
“In the battlefield, there is no place for hope. What lies there is only cold despair and a sin called victory, built on the pain of the defeated. All those people who met there have wholeheartedly admitted the evil and foolishness of this act called war. As long as people don’t repent and don’t regard it as the most evil taboo, then hell will endlessly reappear in the world.”

– Kiritsugu Emiya
Mar 8, 2021 8:00 AM
May 2019
I definitely prefer short animes that have few seasons, I used to watch all types of animes in the beginning but now I don't like long ones at all because they are slow paced, I get bored plus I don't get much time because of my job.
Mar 8, 2021 8:03 AM
Jul 2018
Shorter series.
Because of time management (mostly).
The only long series I watched is 'Hunter X Hunter', and planning to watch "Hajime no Ippo and Yu Yu Hakusho" but that takes a while.
Shorter series with little story or touching moments are enough for me, because of the recent online classes.
In my opinion, longer series (battle shounen) could be waste of time and quite boring because most of the time, they could be fillers episodes with SoL elements. After knowing Naruto is 45% filler, my opinion was "Well, guess I won't watch it". And that, doesn't sound like enjoyment (unless you want to see MC's doing something normal stuff). I think it's boring.
While for shorter series though, there is a high chance, I will enjoy it because I know what I am going to watch.
Mar 8, 2021 8:22 AM
Oct 2020
I like seasons better because of the feeling of completion. With longer series, I feel like I'm getting nowhere; not to say they're any better or worse.
Mar 8, 2021 8:35 AM
Jul 2018
I usually prefer shorter series. It's one of the reasons why I've been struggling with watching One Piece and Bleach. Although Bleach is shorter.
Mar 11, 2021 5:32 PM

May 2020
Obviously shorter. The only long I watched is D.Gray-man. I'm sure I never gonna watch Naruto, One Piece, and other very long anime.
Mar 11, 2021 5:37 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Whichever isn't a borefest and isn't stretched is a good choice. (I am looking at you Log Horizon season 3)

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Mar 11, 2021 5:40 PM

Aug 2020
I prefer shorter series with seasons. Seeing 3 seasons of 12 episodes make me want to watch a show more then a single 36 episode show. Also i've dropped shows with long episode counts (Fairy Tale come into mind), while Initial D with 6 seasons felt easy to watch

Has a 8.60 mean score
Akasaka > Other Mangakas

Mar 11, 2021 6:21 PM

Dec 2020
series def !! it feels like it has a clearer direction(?)
Mar 12, 2021 4:45 AM

May 2009
Hmm, this is a very good question.

Ideally, I wouldn't actually know how long a show is while watching it, nor how many seasons it has. Unfortunately, this is rather difficult to achieve. Given that I generally know beforehand how long a show is, it can sometimes happen that I avoid picking up shows with large numbers of episodes (particularly > 4 cours), given that I'm unsure I want to commit myself for that long. There aren't that many such series, but for example I know this is one reason I haven't casually jumped into Saint Seiya despite being curious about it. Because of this, perhaps splitting up a show into multiple seasons could be useful. However, doing so can affect the storytelling -- for example, the writers may intentionally try to to wrap up story arcs or end things on climaxes or cliffhangers at the ends of seasons. Ideally I wouldn't know how far into a story I am while I'm in the midst of it, either, but while (again) that's hard to achieve these days, I still think it might not be ideal to have these stopping points after every cour or so. To be fair, a show need not follow such writing decisions, but I'm not unaware that anime is a commercialized art form and this can influence the presentation even though I don't want it to.
GlennMagusHarveyMar 12, 2021 4:48 AM
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Mar 12, 2021 4:50 AM
Jul 2018
Shorter series>longer running series
And thats a fact. Shorter ones are easy to catch up to and some shitty person wont spoil you shit. I always avoid longer ones. They take of a long ass time to finish and I dont want some 200+ ep anime chilling in my list unfinished when I know damn well I am never gonna finish it. And pacing. Most of the time longer ones ofc have slow pacing or just something different happens every episode which I dont necessarily love. But there are shorter ones in which pacing is too fast. I avoid them. I just can't take it when everything is hurried, it just disrupts my enjoyment. A perfect example from seasonals are Horimiya. I know this is already a controversial opinion, no a fact. I was a fan of its manga but pacing in the anime felt faster which I of course really disliked. But slow pacing is even harder to go through. Wait, what am I talking about now? We were discussing which is better: longer series or shorter ones right? Yup, so in my opinion shorted ones are superior if there is no pacing problem. Most of the times I like to get into animes which have 12-16 episodes. They are much preferred then the shows with less or more episodes but it also depends on the length of each episode. OK, I am not going to get into details now. Overall, again I prefer shorter ones.
removed-userMar 12, 2021 5:00 AM
Mar 12, 2021 4:56 AM

Oct 2019
Anything past 2 cours per season is overkill, I prefer a shorter series with fewer seasons. The only long exceptional anime that I appreciated long running series was Gintama.
Mar 12, 2021 8:10 AM

Apr 2017
I prefer the 40-50 episodes range. This is where the best shows tend to be and most shows at this range tend to be at least okay. Eureka Seven, Code Geass (2 seasons combined) etc. That said, there are also shows have long episode counts that really should have stopped at 24 or less (like RZ).
There's no inherent right or wrong in this universe, but when we think with emotions rather than logic, we make things so.
Mar 12, 2021 9:22 AM

Oct 2020
mmmm tbh my limit for long running anime was naruto. id like to give one piece a try but damn... the more i think about trying it out, new episodes keep coming out(ಠ‿ಠ) and im there like HEEEELLPPPP.

but i usually prefer seasons. :)

𝕊𝕒𝕪ō𝕟𝕒𝕣𝕒 さようなら

Mar 12, 2021 9:29 AM

Jun 2020
I prefer shorter series. The chance that I'd get tired of a show is lower + less fillers + higher rewatchabily. Even if the entire franchise is 100 episodes total, if it's divided into seasons, it's easier to consume.
Mar 12, 2021 9:34 AM
Mar 2021
Anything that doesn't make me fall asleep is good.
Mar 12, 2021 9:37 AM

Sep 2020
Its painful to wait for sequels so I'd prefer longer running ones, more like the ones that are fully adapted at once.
I am a useless student of society.
Tests are my body and Grades are my blood.
I have done over a thousand assignments.
Unseen by teachers,
nor done properly.
Yet, those hands shall never hold an outstanding grade.
So, as I pray...
Unlimited Homeworks.
Mar 13, 2021 1:01 AM

Aug 2019
They both have their own merits, I would argue...

Seasonal shows have the benefit of consistency and pacing. They don't need filler, they don't need dips in animation quality to compensate for staff shortages because of scheduling, and they can be done by any studio because it's easy to manage a franchise when only one entry comes out per year or something similar. They also take less budget since the management of season-based shows is probably easier on both the producers and the studio.

The thing is, the hype and frequency of discussions dies down between seasons, and having to wait for new content every year is painful for most fans. That's not mentioning that seasonal shows will sometimes trade studios because one goes bankrupt, and if it's J.C. Staff or Studio DEEN replacing your franchise's animators, well... good luck keeping your fanbase alive there.

Longrunners have the benefit of a truly unique experience as well as a hype train that's always firing on all cylinders. When you finish a longrunner, it just hits different; you probably spent a large portion of your life - a few months up to a few years - finishing it, and that feeling of having gone on an adventure is something you won't get anywhere else. Oh, and there's always a new episode every week, so the hype train just keeps rolling and rolling.

Unfortunately, the tradeoff is that they will inevitably need filler and dips in quality to compensate for how much content they're pushing out, and of course, these can only be done by pretty much Pierrot and Toei as they are the only ones with the resources and the experience necessary. There are exceptions like FMA:B and Monster, but they are far and few between.

Overall, I prefer the latter, but I wish they would be done after the Manga has finished or maybe a dozen chapters before the Manga ends. That way, we would get the best of both worlds.
Mar 13, 2021 5:20 PM

Jan 2020
I like my long running series actually. It's hard to describe but it feels way more enjoyable and relaxing despite the slow pacin and fillers at times. It's a nice feeling being able to slowly catch up or finish a series where you're hundreds of episodes behind in.

Mar 13, 2021 5:24 PM

Dec 2014
I definitely prefer 12-24 episode anime over long running anime.
Mar 13, 2021 6:07 PM
Jul 2018
I prefer shorter series with only a few seasons because it just feels almost easier to watch. At least to me it does because for some reason I can never finish the longer running series
Mar 13, 2021 6:08 PM
Jul 2017
I kinda like the longer animes that have hundreds of episodes

More topics from this board

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

157 by nishant0 »»
1 minute ago

» Buying multiple copies?

Otakupervert890 - Apr 21

13 by MeguSae38 »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » How much do you consume from the otaku world?

castle2001 - 8 hours ago

20 by MeguSae38 »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » So, is anime male or female?

Tirinchas - 12 hours ago

19 by Otakupervert890 »»
7 minutes ago

» What animes/manga where you suprised where made by the same creator?

Lol1268 - 11 hours ago

19 by Ravex1 »»
8 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.