Forum Settings
Forums

Does BD sales still have a huge impact on whether or not an Anime will get additional seasons?

New
Mar 6, 2021 8:24 PM

Feb 2021
Is it primarily the sales of the source material that have a large influence on whether or not an Anime will get additional seasons?

Since streaming is becoming ever so popular, I don't think BD sales will be very high. Or at least I would think streaming revenue should be much higher since it is more convenient.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 6, 2021 8:31 PM

Jul 2019
Winden said:
Is it primarily the sales of the source material that have a large influence on whether or not an Anime will get additional seasons?

Since streaming is becoming ever so popular, I don't think BD sales will be very high. Or at least I would think streaming revenue should be much higher since it is more convenient.

Streaming revenue unfortunately doesn't bring in much money for the studios. Since the only thing those services does is pay for a licensing fee. So using stuff like Crunchyroll, Funimation or Netflix will not help the studios.

The thing that determines whether or not an anime will get a S2 (outside obvious external factors like a scandal for instance) is BD sales and merchandise. Those are the vast majority of the studios income. Most people here say "Why didn't this get a S2 it was really popular and everyone liked it", but sadly that doesn't matter in the slightest if no one of those who liked it bought any merchandise or BDs.

But one important thing to remember is that anime is often a glorified commercial for the source. So sometimes they won't make a S2 intentionally regardless of success, just to strong arm people into buying the source.
Subarashii
Mar 6, 2021 8:33 PM

Feb 2021
Avicebrons said:
Winden said:

Streaming revenue unfortunately doesn't bring in much money for the studios. Since the only thing those services does is pay for a licensing fee. So using stuff like Crunchyroll, Funimation or Netflix will not help the studios.

The thing that determines whether or not an anime will get a S2 (outside obvious external factors like a scandal for instance) is BD sales and merchandise. Those are the vast majority of the studios income. Most people here say "Why didn't this get a S2 it was really popular and everyone liked it", but sadly that doesn't matter in the slightest if no one of those who liked it bought any merchandise or BDs.

Does Japan have their own streaming services?

Is it really only merchandising and BDs? What about the source material sales though?

But one important thing to remember is that anime is often a glorified commercial for the source. So sometimes they won't make a S2 intentionally regardless of success, just to strong arm people into buying the source.

Are most Anime made to be glorified commercials for the source materials?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 6, 2021 8:41 PM

Jul 2019
Winden said:
Does Japan have their own streaming services?

Yes (and many of those I mentioned are also used in Japan). However that doesn't really change the fact that the streaming service only tends to pay a licensing fee and nothing more.

Winden said:
Is it really only merchandising and BDs? What about the source material sales though?

Source material sales goes to the original author obviously. You can find instances where they agree upon a slice of the profit made from the source materials. But generally source material sales goes directly to the original author.

Winden said:
Are most Anime made to be glorified commercials for the source materials?

Most animes that are adaptations yes. The author obviously wants his materials adapted because it will serve as a glorified commercial. Otherwise there wouldn't be much incentive for them.
Subarashii
Mar 6, 2021 8:50 PM

Dec 2018
https://www.vox.com/culture/2019/7/2/20677237/anime-industry-japan-artists-pay-labor-abuse-neon-genesis-evangelion-netflix

The revenue model for anime studios need serious reform. I have mad respect for the animators who persevere with their passion despite the measly salaries they get (or worse, they're freelancers who're paid even lesser). But this is unethical, passion and love for what someone does shouldn't be exploited this way.

I'd gladly pay subscription for an anime streaming service (like Netflix, Disney+), I hope someone seize on this business model soon to help the studios. Now it feels like we're all part of the model built on oppressing animators.
Mar 6, 2021 8:55 PM

Jan 2009
not anymore since BD/DVD disc sales are in decline for years now, ye sure some anime have reach a lot disc sales but its becoming rare

Fire Force and Dr Stone got very low disc sales but still got second seasons of anime thanks to streaming profit

streaming profit is the norm now
Japan's Digital Video Market Topped Physical Video Sales for 1st Time in 2019
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2020-06-05/japan-digital-video-market-topped-physical-video-sales-for-1st-time-in-2019/.160117
Mar 6, 2021 8:59 PM

Dec 2018
deg said:
not anymore since BD/DVD disc sales are in decline for years now, ye sure some anime have reach a lot disc sales but its becoming rare

Fire Force and Dr Stone got very low disc sales but still got second seasons of anime thanks to streaming profit

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2020-06-05/japan-digital-video-market-topped-physical-video-sales-for-1st-time-in-2019/.160117

The report only mentioned Amazon, Netflix, Hulu.. which are conventional streaming services. I can only hope we'll get a streaming service just for animes soon.
Mar 6, 2021 9:04 PM

Jul 2019
deg said:

Both Fire Force and Dr Stone already had a season 2 planned when season 1 was in production. So they would've done a S2 regardless of how it went (and as we can see it went poorly).

ShanAsuna said:
The report only mentioned Amazon, Netflix, Hulu.. which are conventional streaming services. I can only hope we'll get a streaming service just for animes soon.

I mean we already have Crunchyroll and Funimation for instance. The problem being that these streaming services aren't bringing in money to the studios themselves.

Report from ANN
With ANN recently reporting that Crunchyroll royalties to the Japanese industry exceed US $100 million and also the huge amount received from global companies like Netflix and Amazon and also the various other companies around the world that release anime in their respective territories...why is it that still in 2018 that Japanese animators are paid so little ie not even a living wage of say US $30,000 a year? I appreciate that anime is expensive to make and that production committee system is complex with everyone involved needing their slice of the pie, but are a lot of these profits simply not filtering down to the animation studios so that they can improve working conditions for their staff.
Subarashii
Mar 6, 2021 9:06 PM

Feb 2021
Avicebrons said:

Winden said:

Source material sales goes to the original author obviously. You can find instances where they agree upon a slice of the profit made from the source materials. But generally source material sales goes directly to the original author.

So if the Anime has promoted the source material really well and there is a salient surge in sales, I am assuming the publishing companies can offer to fund some or most of the anime?
Mar 6, 2021 9:08 PM

Jan 2009
Avicebrons said:
Both Fire Force and Dr Stone already had a season 2 planned when season 1 was in production. So they would've done a S2 regardless of how it went (and as we can see it went poorly).

Fire Force ye but definitely not Dr Stone

also i do not remember the name but even a planned 2 cour anime become a 1 cour anime due to the production committee and profit so its not a guarantee i think it was that Tennis anime i do not remember the name
Mar 6, 2021 9:08 PM

Jul 2019
Winden said:
So if the Anime has promoted the source material really well and there is a salient surge in sales, I am assuming the publishing companies can offer to fund some or most of the anime?

You mean fund them to make a S2? If the anime has sold well and promoted well, then a S2 is more than reasonable. Since they would want to ride that wave longer. However as mentioned before, some studios opt to strong arm consumers by intentionally not making a S2.
Subarashii
Mar 6, 2021 9:10 PM

Jul 2019
deg said:
Fire Force ye but definitely not Dr Stone

The second season for Dr Stone was announced right at the finale for the first season. So they most definitely had a season 2 already planned.
Subarashii
Mar 6, 2021 9:16 PM

Jan 2009
ShanAsuna said:
deg said:

if you mean a dedicated japanese streaming site then Japan already tried that with Daisuki but failed https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daisuki_(website)
Mar 6, 2021 9:20 PM

Feb 2021
Avicebrons said:
Winden said:

You mean fund them to make a S2? If the anime has sold well and promoted well, then a S2 is more than reasonable. Since they would want to ride that wave longer. However as mentioned before, some studios opt to strong arm consumers by intentionally not making a S2.

What do you mean strong arm consumers?
Mar 6, 2021 9:24 PM

Jul 2019
Winden said:

Basically you try your best to force the viewer to purchase the source materials. For instance this can be done if a very good anime ended on an extreme cliffhanger and no S2 was in sights. Then you as a viewer would have no choice but to buy the source in order to find out what happened.
Subarashii
Mar 6, 2021 9:42 PM

Feb 2021
Avicebrons said:
Winden said:

Basically you try your best to force the viewer to purchase the source materials. For instance this can be done if a very good anime ended on an extreme cliffhanger and no S2 was in sights. Then you as a viewer would have no choice but to buy the source in order to find out what happened.

Does this usually happen often? I thought there is a long break between each season, so there is ample time for source material sales.
Mar 6, 2021 9:44 PM
Dec 2017
merchandise sales like physical media even though in a time where streaming is very promenient, still does play a role into the likabilty of a show getting a new season.

Mar 6, 2021 9:45 PM

Jul 2019
Winden said:
Avicebrons said:

Does this usually happen often? I thought there is a long break between each season, so there is ample time for source material sales.

This happens frequently enough to be a thing. More often than not there's enough materials for a new season. That's usually not the problem. It's fairly rare for an anime to start adapting a manga/LN so early in the story that there's only enough materials for a single season.
Subarashii
Mar 6, 2021 10:02 PM

Feb 2021
Avicebrons said:
Winden said:

This happens frequently enough to be a thing. More often than not there's enough materials for a new season. That's usually not the problem. It's fairly rare for an anime to start adapting a manga/LN so early in the story that there's only enough materials for a single season.

Interesting. Thank you for the explanation. I have been buying quite a few light novels lately. Hopefully, I am doing my part to support the "anime" industry.
Mar 6, 2021 10:06 PM

Jul 2019
Winden said:
Interesting. Thank you for the explanation. I have been buying quite a few light novels lately. Hopefully, I am doing my part to support the "anime" industry.

You are definitely supporting the author by doing that. Which is good. But if you want to support the anime industry. Then buying light novels won't really do that. As mentioned prior, purchasing the BD or merchandise for animes you like is the best way to support the anime industry.
Subarashii

More topics from this board

Poll: » So, is anime male or female?

Tirinchas - Apr 22

42 by Suntanned_Duck2 »»
3 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

70 by PostMahouShoujo »»
5 minutes ago

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - 9 hours ago

21 by Vendicator »»
7 minutes ago

» Did you know that anime is amazing?

KryzakamiHrybami - Yesterday

17 by Suntanned_Duck2 »»
8 minutes ago

» is ur fave genre ur most watched genre ?

ame - Yesterday

24 by Suntanned_Duck2 »»
21 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.