Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
So I'm a Spider, So What? (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Will this show be slightly better without the human side of the story?
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 19, 2021 11:20 PM

Feb 2019
I absolutely dislike the human side of the story
Neji said:
Human part is absolute trash and is one of the main reason for low score. I know it might come into play in the future, but man it's boring and horrible.

Same
Apr 20, 2021 11:25 AM

Nov 2019
As I have mentioned in an earlier post, it seems the author has a fetish of making humans look lame. Potentially better (albeit simplistic) characters like Julius are killed off for plot device. Bearable characters like Hyrince are just there. Fei feels like the strongest among the Shun faction, and she's a dragon. The author also boasts in a volume afterword how there is no presence of hoomans in volume cover art.
I don't think I have personally come across any really interesting character, especially among the male cast [Sophia, Kumo, Demon Lord, Fei, Filmos, D are given more narrative importance (and badass moments), while a screentime chewing character like Shun is basically a punching bag for the author to show that he/she doesn't like generic isekai protagonists]. Even Kumo, who initially intrigued me, lost my attention after she gained Wisdom skill. Maybe I'll find some good characters in the future, or some will simply grow on me. Tbh, being OP, edgy, having some funky design and the like doesn't sell a character for me.

The higher level monsters and demons are so hax it's not even a joke. But that makes it all the more interesting to see what fate awaits the human side in front of challenges that are way beyond their grasp. This might end up in a underwhelming manner, but it's about discovering what message the show wants to convey...
So I disagree with OP.
"All truth is meaningless. In the end, 'meaning' comes from the mind of each individual human. Even when there is a single truth, it can mean different things to different individuals. The truth has no meaning in itself!" - Erika Furudo
Apr 21, 2021 6:52 PM
Feb 2014
Human side is just a boring classic isekai. I don't wanna see that shit.
Apr 22, 2021 2:47 PM

Jan 2013
Laplace_kun said:
As I have mentioned in an earlier post, it seems the author has a fetish of making humans look lame. Potentially better (albeit simplistic) characters like Julius are killed off for plot device. Bearable characters like Hyrince are just there. Fei feels like the strongest among the Shun faction, and she's a dragon. The author also boasts in a volume afterword how there is no presence of hoomans in volume cover art.
I don't think I have personally come across any really interesting character, especially among the male cast [Sophia, Kumo, Demon Lord, Fei, Filmos, D are given more narrative importance (and badass moments), while a screentime chewing character like Shun is basically a punching bag for the author to show that he/she doesn't like generic isekai protagonists]. Even Kumo, who initially intrigued me, lost my attention after she gained Wisdom skill. Maybe I'll find some good characters in the future, or some will simply grow on me. Tbh, being OP, edgy, having some funky design and the like doesn't sell a character for me.

The higher level monsters and demons are so hax it's not even a joke. But that makes it all the more interesting to see what fate awaits the human side in front of challenges that are way beyond their grasp. This might end up in a underwhelming manner, but it's about discovering what message the show wants to convey...
So I disagree with OP.

If the author hated the generic isekai protagonist, she shouldn't have wasted half of the screentime on them, or better yet, she shouldn't have written a story with them in the first place. But what do I know. I don't write for a living, I am just commenting on the Internet.
Signature removed. It was too good for this cruel world.
Apr 22, 2021 3:17 PM

Nov 2019
beast_regards said:

If the author hated the generic isekai protagonist, she shouldn't have wasted half of the screentime on them, or better yet, she shouldn't have written a story with them in the first place. But what do I know. I don't write for a living, I am just commenting on the Internet.

You just get hints while reading the novel (Just talking about the part up to which anime has adapted). The thing is that these characters are probably given importance to give the readers some sort of a message. Trust me, I am finding it irritating; but I do also look forward to them suffering major losses and bounce back as stronger characters.
Take Shun, for example, he has only two traits - being nice and being the exposition machine. I doubt any Kumo fan actually likes him, but they apparently don't think he's useless to the overall story. There are some significant things notable about him:
1. He hates fighting in a world that is based on it
2. He doesn't consider himself to be very brainy either
3. Even when someone is acting suspicious, he wishes it's just his delusions, not the reality
4. Gets inspired from a literal hero and wants to follow his footsteps, but is hesitant to take the hardcore path to achieving strength because there is no apparent danger.
5. The title of Hero gets served in a platter for him!

But also one has to remember:
1. He's brought up in more wholesome conditions than Kumo, who had no other option than to level up fast
2. His friends like him for what he is, and none of them actually point out his flaws. Even someone as brutish as Shinohara becomes his pet. Convenient, huh?

This duality is made clear between the two stories and their leads. Me saying that the author dislikes generic isekai mc-like characters is a conclusion born from these things. But I think, given the twisty nature of the franchise, she might have more plans for these so called generic characters. So, although it's tough to bear with them, there might be a payoff waiting on the other side. The author might hate the character type, but not the character itself - there should be valid reason behind the bloated screentime.

My opinions here are there for anyone here, not just you (I mean, you dropped it). The anime has totally messed up the human side narrative, so this wall of text panders mostly to the source. But it was necessary to emphasize that the original creator of the series might not have done any wrong giving so much writing space for these people.

"All truth is meaningless. In the end, 'meaning' comes from the mind of each individual human. Even when there is a single truth, it can mean different things to different individuals. The truth has no meaning in itself!" - Erika Furudo
Apr 22, 2021 3:27 PM

Jan 2013
Laplace_kun said:
You just get hints while reading the novel (Just talking about the part up to which anime has adapted).

So you've read the novel?
Despite the fact I don't like Shun a single bit, the core of the problem isn't he is around, if I couldn't stand one generic anime protagonist I wouldn't spend any time watching any anime - the core of the problem is that story doesn't seem to make sense.
The core of my argument is always that anime doesn't make sense without the light novel, and I refuse to blindly trust the author has greater plans where so many anime beforehand proven they have no plans. It is unfair for the author who indeed planned the things, but it is how it is. Tell me, how many anime had a bad ending already? Did you have expectations it will turn better than it actually did?
Apr 22, 2021 3:40 PM

Nov 2019
beast_regards said:

So you've read the novel?
Despite the fact I don't like Shun a single bit, the core of the problem isn't he is around, if I couldn't stand one generic anime protagonist I wouldn't spend any time watching any anime - the core of the problem is that story doesn't seem to make sense.
The core of my argument is always that anime doesn't make sense without the light novel, and I refuse to blindly trust the author has greater plans where so many anime beforehand proven they have no plans. It is unfair for the author who indeed planned the things, but it is how it is. Tell me, how many anime had a bad ending already? Did you have expectations it will turn better than it actually did?

I did mention that my expectations have taken birth from the nature of the writing itself. There are significant plot twists and such which are occurring and are to come. I don't blindly trust any author, or I would have finished more novels than I have.
I am giving a chance, there are many other things to be intrigued by instead of the lame characters. Most of the times I run on my instincts regarding good end expectations, and I have rarely been disappointed. It also builds up experience as a reader/watcher, but that's a personal thing. You can always follow your own principles regarding this type of stuff.
Quick Edit: I haven't gone past vol 5 of LN, so yeah someone else can tell the likability of these characters in Vol 6+. All my options hence refer mostly to the anime coverage content, which is appropriate for this part of the forum.
Laplace_kunApr 22, 2021 3:47 PM
Apr 22, 2021 3:56 PM

Jan 2013
Laplace_kun said:
I did mention that my expectations have taken birth from the nature of the writing itself. There are significant plot twists and such which are occurring and are to come. I don't blindly trust any author, or I would have finished more novels than I have.

Do you know about the twists because you've read the novel, or because you expect there must be one as there are always some?

So far, Shun part raises more questions than it answers, and doesn't help us in any way in understanding the world they are showing us, information is mentioned in passing and not properly conveyed, expecting us to know everything. That's my impression. A puzzle. It isn't helping. Even now when "twist" occurred, Shun story isn't helping anymore. I simply don't care about him, and his story isn't answering questions I have. So I believe the story would be better without him. People who read the novel continuously convince me that it is important to the overall story, and I believe them, but anime itself gives me nothing they see in it.
Apr 22, 2021 4:15 PM

Nov 2019
beast_regards said:

Do you know about the twists because you've read the novel, or because you expect there must be one as there are always some?

So far, Shun part raises more questions than it answers, and doesn't help us in any way in understanding the world they are showing us, information is mentioned in passing and not properly conveyed, expecting us to know everything. That's my impression. A puzzle. It isn't helping. Even now when "twist" occurred, Shun story isn't helping anymore. I simply don't care about him, and his story isn't answering questions I have. So I believe the story would be better without him. People who read the novel continuously convince me that it is important to the overall story, and I believe them, but anime itself gives me nothing they see in it.

Yeah there are already few twists as I am reading, and a quick run through the WN version also reveals many more things to come in the future. Also a trustworthy friend of mine did promise bigger twists at latest chapters.
Face it, the anime simply cannot handle the narration structure of the LN. Whatever it has adapted so far ain't a masterpiece, but they made storytelling look so difficult. In the human perspective you are supposed to get the world building and things like relations with demons, religious structure, politics and mystery regarding location(s) of reincarnations. Loyalties are tested. Manipulation, corruption and incompetence rule. Question arises: Who is on the "right" side?

That's all I can say and I admit that the anime messes it up. The reader is actually led to worry about Shun's fate at least at the beginning stages, but the anime doesn't do that.

What are we supposed to care about Julius, if his relationship with the King and thoughts about Shun aren't touched? He just becomes a cannon fodder, not a genuinely good person with a misfortunate end.
Apr 23, 2021 3:40 AM

Jan 2013
Laplace_kun said:
Yeah there are already few twists as I am reading, and a quick run through the WN version also reveals many more things to come in the future. Also a trustworthy friend of mine did promise bigger twists at latest chapters.
Face it, the anime simply cannot handle the narration structure of the LN. Whatever it has adapted so far ain't a masterpiece, but they made storytelling look so difficult. In the human perspective you are supposed to get the world building and things like relations with demons, religious structure, politics and mystery regarding location(s) of reincarnations. Loyalties are tested. Manipulation, corruption and incompetence rule. Question arises: Who is on the "right" side?.

Just like I said in now banned thread, I know Shun's part is supposed to do worldbuilding, but realistically, it does very little of it. We know next to nothing about their country, about their society, about the relation between state and church, and so on. It's just generic JRPG, one Empire, One King etc.
Except, there isn't one Empire, they are multiple kingdoms, and each main character comes from the different one, but it is mentioned in passing and easy to be forgotten. And same applies to any other information, show conveniently forgets, and withholding information from the reader to sell the source material isn't a mystery, and it isn't a good adaptation either.
Apr 24, 2021 6:00 PM

Apr 2012
I don't know what's going to happen but I get the feeling the human side will play a huge part down the road.
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum.
They should really do their whining at manga forums.

USERS ON MY IGNORED LIST:
RayReynolds - SSL443 - Dr4kon - Nerdanimefan1992 - ToTheMountains - Fiveskies
To add users to the Ignore list: (1) Go to Account settings (2) Click Forum tab and toggle down (3) Type or paste user name on entry box (4) Click Add and you're done.
Problem solved, you'll never have to see someone trolling ever again because their post will be closed/collapsed.
Apr 24, 2021 8:08 PM

Oct 2007
Shun, the generic isekai male with a harem and his dramas = boring.
Apr 24, 2021 10:34 PM
Jul 2019
ManWild said:
I actually care more about the human side as of recent. The life of Kumoko is slowly getting more and more repetitive to me and it's interesting seeing something new from another perspective.

most of us are if human side wasn't there and the tineline difference wasn't there then it would've been generic isekai which I don't hate tbh but change is good.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka? Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 3, 2021

365 by perfumegenius »»
Apr 15, 10:50 AM

» As a LN reader, it hurts that this probably won't get another season

NXT_2006 - Feb 15, 2023

14 by DonKhixote »»
Apr 5, 4:02 PM

» So there's no romance in there?

rishamr - Mar 25

11 by Valenstine »»
Mar 29, 7:48 AM

Poll: » Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka? Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 19, 2021

162 by Ratris_Decision »»
Mar 7, 4:07 AM

Poll: » Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka? Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KANLen09 - Jan 8, 2021

331 by Ratris_Decision »»
Mar 5, 2:46 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.