Forum Settings
Forums

Light Novel 'Sabikui Bisco' Gets TV Anime Adaptation

New
Mar 6, 2021 4:42 AM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
The Light Novel Expo event announced a television anime adaptation of Shinji Cobkubo's Sabikui Bisco light novel on Saturday. Hakuhodo DY Music & Pictures simultaneously opened an official website, revealing the cast, production staff, a teaser promo, and teaser visual (pictured).

Synopsis
A plague-like wind blows across the arid, sandy expanse of a post-apocalyptic Japan. As it sweeps over the living and nonliving alike, rust is all that remains in its wake. The cause of the catastrophic state of the world is believed to be mushroom spores. Bisco Akaboshi, known as the "Man-Eating Mushroom," is a wanted criminal archer whose arrows instantly grow mushrooms wherever they land. However, he is in truth a "Mushroom Protector," a person who spreads fungi in order to enrich the land and return it to its previous state.

Alongside the crab Akutagawa and young doctor Milo Nekoyanagi, Bisco ventures through the wastelands of Japan searching for the legendary "Sabikui"—a panacean mushroom said to devour all forms of rust. [Written by MAL Rewrite]

Cast
Bisco Akaboshi: Ryouta Suzuki (Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai: Tensai-tachi no Renai Zunousen)
Miro Nekoyanagi: Natsuki Hanae (Heavy Object)
Pauu Nekoyanagi: Reina Kondou (Dorohedoro)
Chiroru Oochagama: Miyu Tomita (Tonari no Kyuuketsuki-san)

Staff
Director: Atsushi Ikariya (Akame ga Kill! episode director)
Assistant Director: Daisuke Mataga (Id:Invaded episode director)
Series Composition, Script: Sadayuki Murai (Boogiepop wa Warawanai, Sidonia no Kishi)
Character Design: Atsushi Ikariya, Ai Asari (Garo: Vanishing Line guest character design, Utawarerumono: Itsuwari no Kamen animation director)
Chief Animation Director: Ai Asari, Norie Ikawa (Zero kara Hajimeru Mahou no Sho animation director)
Main Animator: Yutaka Matsubara (Sora no Otoshimono chief animation director), Momoko Kawai (Junketsu no Maria animation director)
In-between Animation Director: Zhang Yihui (Natsume Yuujinchou Movie: Utsusemi ni Musubu)
Art Director: Masakazu Miyake (Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou)
Art Setting, Creature Setting: Yoshihiro Sono (Koutetsujou no Kabaneri)
Color Design: Emi Chiba (God Eater)
Director of Photography: Tsubasa Takagi (Devilman: Crybaby photography)
Editing: Yoshiaki Kimura (Persona 5 the Animation)
Sound Director: Kisuke Koizumi (Kiseijuu: Sei no Kakuritsu)
Studio: OZ

Music producer and bassist Takeshi Ueda and music arranger Hinako Tsubakiyama are composing the music at flying DOG.

Cobkubo submitted the title for the 24th Dengeki Taisho in 2017 and won the Silver Prize. Dengeki Bunko began printing the adventure fantasy light novel with illustrations by Akagishi K and mocha in March 2018. Kadokawa published the sixth volume last June, with the seventh volume scheduled for release on March 10. Sabikui Bisco has a cumulative 200,000 copies of its volumes in print.

Yuusuke Takahashi launched a manga adaptation in Manga UP! web magazine in April 2019. Square Enix will ship the third and fourth volume on March 10.

Sabikui Bisco placed first under the Light Novel and New Work category in the 2019 Kono Light Novel ga Sugoi! rankings.

Teaser PV

Official site: https://sabikuibisco.jp/
Official Twitter: @sabikui_bisco
Novel special site: https://dengekibunko.jp/special/bisco/

Source: Dengeki Bunko, PR Times

Sabikui Bisco on MAL
VindstotMar 7, 2021 12:45 AM

Mar 6, 2021 4:49 AM

Aug 2019
seems pretty hype especially those visuals and music, I’ll definitely add this to my PTW
Mar 6, 2021 5:04 AM
Feb 2020
Good trailer! OMG 🔥🔥👍👌
Mar 6, 2021 5:06 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
*sweating* What was that?!
Mar 6, 2021 5:17 AM
Apr 2014
idk what to expect but it looks dope at least
Mar 6, 2021 5:23 AM
Feb 2014
Holy shit!!! This sounds sooo crazy and interesting at the same time!!!

One of the most unique premises i have seen in a long time!!! The synopsis has totally caught my attention!!!

Though i don't know how gory this will be, from the PV i can already see stuff i won't like, for example the scene were they are eating those creatures they impaled(a lizard and bat???) There also seems to be quite a bit of blood but don't know how far they will take it...

However, where else will i find an anime with a giant crab named freaking Akutagawa?!?!? I can't miss that, so untill further notice in to my PTW it goes!!!
My Shoujo, Josei and Female targeted anime adaptations starting from 2017+ stacks:

Part 1: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9181
Part 2: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9195
Part 3: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9225
Part 4: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9280
Mar 6, 2021 5:26 AM

Apr 2013
hell yeah, Sabikui Bisco. I was hoping for this one.

That novel has an amazing post apocalyptic world full of super weird abilities, flora and fauna.
If the animation team properly renders it, this should be fun to watch. Some of the creatures and abilities in there are fire, I'm telling you.

Also, it's pretty rare to get a post apo anime, so even more welcome as an adaptation.

Don't expect amazing story telling or amazing characters though. It's to be watched for a very fun and strange ride, and on these points, as long as it respects the feel of the novel (seems like it with the trailer) it should fully delivers.

Also pre-emptively nominating Akutagawa best crab of the decade.
ZefyrisMar 6, 2021 5:34 AM
Mar 6, 2021 5:59 AM
Sep 2018
That was crazy!!!! I remember when this won best novel.
Mar 6, 2021 6:06 AM
Jul 2018
Zefyris said:
hell yeah, Sabikui Bisco. I was hoping for this one.

That novel has an amazing post apocalyptic world full of super weird abilities, flora and fauna.
If the animation team properly renders it, this should be fun to watch. Some of the creatures and abilities in there are fire, I'm telling you.

Also, it's pretty rare to get a post apo anime, so even more welcome as an adaptation.

Don't expect amazing story telling or amazing characters though. It's to be watched for a very fun and strange ride, and on these points, as long as it respects the feel of the novel (seems like it with the trailer) it should fully delivers.

Also pre-emptively nominating Akutagawa best crab of the decade.

Thanks for some information. I wanna read the novel more and more :D
Mar 6, 2021 6:29 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Okay, I'm interested. Amazing Cast lineup too. Count me in!
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Mar 6, 2021 6:40 AM

Dec 2016
After reading the synopsis, Bisco reminds me of En from Dorohedoro, they have something in common which is mushroom XD

That animation and music, definitely gonna give it a watch.
Mar 6, 2021 6:46 AM

Jul 2019
This looks cool. Will watch this.
Mar 6, 2021 6:47 AM

Oct 2017
That trailer was pretty wild, looking forward to this.
Mar 6, 2021 6:57 AM

Nov 2018
What should I say about that kiss?
"When they're alive, you can enjoy watching them struggle. When they're dead, you can enjoy tearing out their guts. Tales are things you get to enjoy twice."
Mar 6, 2021 7:00 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Oh yeah, that easily goes in my PTW. That PV is pretty damn crazy!
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Mar 6, 2021 7:30 AM

Jan 2009
it does not look like a pre-animated PV at least so will watch
Mar 6, 2021 8:12 AM
Dec 2020
This actually looks pretty interesting ngl.
Mar 6, 2021 8:29 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Mar 6, 2021 9:53 AM

Jun 2020
What the fuck? That was goddamn awesome, whatever the fuck it was
This anime shit is addictive
Mar 6, 2021 12:33 PM
May 2016
Me after reading the description: "The heck did I just read?"

Me after watching the trailer: "The heck did I just watch?"

Definitely going to give this a watch
Mar 6, 2021 12:36 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
I remember seeing the LNs in the rankings and I found the LN volume cover art to be interesting. After seeing that PV, I can definitely say that this series has a very appealing art style. And if that PV is anything to go by, it seems like the anime has some amazing animation. Not only that, but the storyboarding in that PV was ridiculously good! It really does feel like the PV is a premade one and these cuts may not be in the actual show, but hopefully it's like Mushoku Tensei, where the actual show matched the quality seen in the premade PV.
Mar 6, 2021 9:31 PM

Jan 2009
same staff as ID:INVADED reports are saying https://twitter.com/sa10tatsu/status/1368336467345498123

Mar 7, 2021 3:32 AM

Jul 2017
deg said:
same staff as ID:INVADED reports are saying https://twitter.com/sa10tatsu/status/1368336467345498123
If anything, this show has the potential to reach ID:Invaded levels of greatness, even with a new studio attached.
Mar 7, 2021 3:33 AM

Jan 2009
KANLen09 said:
deg said:
If anything, this show has the potential to reach ID:Invaded levels of greatness, even with a new studio attached.

agreed it looks awesome hoping they got a good production schedule with that talented staff

More topics from this board

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

70 by dodoxdo97 »»
3 hours ago

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - Today

3 by Maumuu »»
6 hours ago

» Manga 'Dungeon Meshi' Gets TV Anime ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Aug 9, 2022

53 by Dark_Reunion007 »»
10 hours ago

» 'Wind Breaker' Announces Additional Cast

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

4 by Memore »»
Yesterday, 11:26 PM

» Manga 'Ane Naru Mono' Gets OVA Adaptation

Vindstot - Jan 5, 2020

28 by lucio54 »»
Yesterday, 10:11 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.