Forum Settings
Forums

possible bug/problem with my manga stats

New
Mar 5, 2021 1:50 PM

Jan 2020
Yesterday i checked my profile and i noticed that in my manga stats the days spent were almost twice the amount i use to have last time i checked them before (hours ago it was between 40-50 days spent). I haven't updated my manga list since more that a week, i also checked my manga history and list to make sure i didn't accidentally. I went to bed hoping that it would be a bug and when the system updated the stats, it would come back to normal, but they didn't. Got 2 hyphoteses:

1) Somehow one or more of my manga entries bugged and updated a random number in "times rewatched" (or someone unknown did it), the only thing i didn't check 'cause it would take me lots of hours.
3) MAL updated the time one takes for reading chapters without me realizing about it.

Can a mod/admin check if there's a bug or tell me if MAL modified the way the days spent are calculated, please?
5ReinheitMar 5, 2021 2:15 PM
Mar 5, 2021 2:05 PM
Community Mod
+ Manga DB Staff

Feb 2017
Hypothesis 3 is correct. There indeed was a change in how the days are calculated.

In the past, days were calculated like this, regardless of the type of the entry:

Two factors used for the calculation:
1 chapter = 0.00556 days (8 minutes)
1 volume = 0.05 days (1.2 hours)

For the whole list through all categories (reading, completed, etc.) two scores are calculated:
chapter score = number of all chapters * chapter factor
volume score = number of all volumes * volume factor
The higher score is taken for the "time (days)" stats.

About a week ago, there's been a change in how days are calculated. Now, light novel chapters count more than manga chapters towards the amount of days.

Here is Luna's post (our friendly community admin) regarding this change:

Luna said:
This change had been on our list for a long time and finally it's done! (Light) novels now count 4 times as much as manga.

I've updated my blog with the new information.

The calculation now uses:
1 manga chapter = 0.00556 days (8 minutes)
1 manga volume = 0.05 days (1.2 hours)
1 novel chapter = 0.02224 days (32 minutes)
1 novel volume = 0.2 days (4.8 hours)

Please note that the profile stats will not be updated automatically. You need to manually change something on your manga list (for example add a new entry or increase a chapter count) to trigger the update. Depending on how many people are currently updating their lists this update process can take a few minutes or a few hours.

And as I've noticed in your manga list, you have a fair amount of light novels, so this huge increase in days isn't all that surprising.

Hopes this answers your queries!
Mar 5, 2021 2:20 PM

Jan 2020
Phloup said:
Hypothesis 3 is correct. There indeed was a change in how the days are calculated.

In the past, days were calculated like this, regardless of the type of the entry:

Two factors used for the calculation:
1 chapter = 0.00556 days (8 minutes)
1 volume = 0.05 days (1.2 hours)

For the whole list through all categories (reading, completed, etc.) two scores are calculated:
chapter score = number of all chapters * chapter factor
volume score = number of all volumes * volume factor
The higher score is taken for the "time (days)" stats.

About a week ago, there's been a change in how days are calculated. Now, light novel chapters count more than manga chapters towards the amount of days.

Here is Luna's post (our friendly community admin) regarding this change:

Luna said:
This change had been on our list for a long time and finally it's done! (Light) novels now count 4 times as much as manga.

I've updated my blog with the new information.

The calculation now uses:
1 manga chapter = 0.00556 days (8 minutes)
1 manga volume = 0.05 days (1.2 hours)
1 novel chapter = 0.02224 days (32 minutes)
1 novel volume = 0.2 days (4.8 hours)

Please note that the profile stats will not be updated automatically. You need to manually change something on your manga list (for example add a new entry or increase a chapter count) to trigger the update. Depending on how many people are currently updating their lists this update process can take a few minutes or a few hours.

And as I've noticed in your manga list, you have a fair amount of light novels, so this huge increase in days isn't all that surprising.

Hopes this answers your queries!

I see, now it makes sense. Also i like the fact that now ln count more than manga.

Thx for the help!

More topics from this board

» ishinashi has 300 alt accounts and counting ( 1 2 3 )

deg - Jun 16, 2023

126 by Konan_Edogawa_ »»
2 minutes ago

» Backup

Vapor_AU - 10 hours ago

1 by pichipichiHiro »»
10 hours ago

Sticky: » Inactive Username Request Thread ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Sep 21, 2015

3368 by L2Dragon »»
11 hours ago

» MAL Export

Devileeee - Sep 25, 2023

3 by zororo12 »»
Apr 23, 3:52 AM

» Problem with API OAuth2 Authentication Login

bidgetfoss_4000 - Apr 23

0 by bidgetfoss_4000 »»
Apr 23, 3:44 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.