Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Cells at Work! CODE BLACK
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 4, 2021 9:58 AM
Jul 2018
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
damn this episode was really sad, was quite hard to watch red blood cell here, the guy pretty much attempted to commit suicide. that scene at the end where he was rebelling against the body and stuff was really great though, white blood cell was very nice there too. hope the owner of this body finally decides to start taking better care of himself, cause if he doesnt, there might not be much of a future for this body...
Mar 4, 2021 10:00 AM

Jul 2017
AA2153 losing the good bud AC1677, and that's not only the depressing thing going on in the disease-stricken body.

The unusual bacteria striking the body at the left toe, and no one knows what it is, so it's a case of apprehending and identifying the source. Sadly for the Top Rookie, his whole world has crumbled in the most unfashionable way possible for a mental breakdown.

Learning a great deal of the spleen and red pulp, that's something you rarely ever hear in biology (at least for the latter), as is with uric acid and the effects thereafter.

If it's uric acid, it's no ordinary bacteria, and worse still, triggering gout in the worst unimaginable way ever results in inflammation (which IS bad).

The redemption moment of U-1196 comforting AA2153 in a hug, it's the embodiment of "one for all, all for one" (and I legitly teared up on that scene) in a Code Black environment.

The ending scene gives more creeps than I could ever imagine...
Mar 4, 2021 10:20 AM

Jun 2019
This was a pretty funny episode but at the same time, it was pretty sad. I learned that my cells can literally say "Fuck this body, I'm out".
On a serious note, this body is in really bad shape from day one at this point. The part where every cell was telling the body to stop smoking and doing bad things was really touching. I hope our protagonist RBC will get back to work soon and would not abandon it which is actually impossible because cells in real life don't act on emotions. All they have to do is work. But, a good message to anyone who's living such a bad lifestyle.
AND THAT CREEPY CLIFFHANGER. NOW, WHAT???
Mar 4, 2021 10:34 AM
Jul 2018
Pre_Yum said:
I learned that my cells can literally say "Fuck this body, I'm out".
they actually can't since they're not really sentient. you're cells will do all they can to keep working unless stopped by an external force. if not, they'll keep working till the day you die
Mar 4, 2021 10:34 AM

Jan 2014
Why do I feel like we're either gonna go one or two ways. One being a more happy route in having the body fix itself. Or go the other route and have the body die. It's real concerning with how this episode was handled.
Mar 4, 2021 10:36 AM
Sep 2015
Seriously this body... it's not like he has no choice because he still has money to buy tobacco and alcohol but he choose to ignore his health condition, for what!

Anyway, good soundtrack as always. The spleen segment is quite a religious metaphor.
Mar 4, 2021 10:44 AM

Jun 2019
spaesu said:
Pre_Yum said:
I learned that my cells can literally say "Fuck this body, I'm out".
they actually can't since they're not really sentient. you're cells will do all they can to keep working unless stopped by an external force. if not, they'll keep working till the day you die

I've actually mentioned it in the later lines. I guess you didn't read my complete statement. And that was supposed to be an edgy joke. Welp, I guess that didn't work.
Mar 4, 2021 10:51 AM
Jul 2018
Pre_Yum said:
spaesu said:

I've actually mentioned it in the later lines. I guess you didn't read my complete statement. And that was supposed to be an edgy joke. Welp, I guess that didn't work.
oh yeah sorry about that, wasnt trying to start anything so sorry if you got the wrong idea
Mar 4, 2021 11:00 AM

Oct 2017
Watching the cells acting desperate and trying to make the owner of the body realise that it needs to stop abusing the body was frustrating. Hakkekkyuu hugging Sekkekkyuu and telling him that he shouldn't give up was a touching moment.

This body really is in it's last legs and if the nothing changes there is no hope for this body.
Mar 4, 2021 11:01 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Losing your best friend just like that really was tragic. The combination of junk food and sleep deprivation does indicate that the owner must live a pretty stressful live. That germ though sure looks like quite the odd one. Still nice to see that the white blood cells have higher level assets they can call upon. So the spleen also handles cell management as well huh. RB cell's mental state though sure is all over the place. Though harsh the Red Pulp's response was a good one. But even more amusing was the cells display of rebellion as a result of the hardships that the owner is putting them through which considering the hell that they're going through is perfectly justifiable. Though this crisis is over looks like every new day see's more and more cells perish.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 4, 2021 11:06 AM

Jun 2019
spaesu said:
Pre_Yum said:

oh yeah sorry about that, wasnt trying to start anything so sorry if you got the wrong idea

No no.. it's not a problem. It's okay. You're good. :)
Mar 4, 2021 11:55 AM
Aug 2020
I applaud the studio for actually adapting the suicide attempt, was kinda worried that they would cut that part out of the Anime. This is really shaping up to be one of the great animes this season!
Mar 4, 2021 12:14 PM

Apr 2018
I almost cried this ep as well because it was so sad. Our Rookie wanted to kill himself thinking that he caused his friends death but WBC saved him. Im so sad that he died as well ;-; Looks like another problem is arising.
Mar 4, 2021 12:16 PM

Sep 2019
It was sad to see the woman who were friends with AC1677 asking AA2153 about him. It looks like there'll be a problem with his heart in the next episode.
Mar 4, 2021 12:54 PM

Oct 2019
Wow, this body has dealt with almost half of all human afflictions and diseases (mostly self-inflicted) and it still stands, though barely. In the next episode there will apparently be a heart attack (the result of a coronary artery full blockage) and so in the final episode the body (and thus all the cells) will presumably, er, die.

That or the imbecile who has control over that body will finally see the light and change his ways (it has been confirmed he is a man). A close dance with death can have that effect on people. If the body dies in the last episode (or starts to die -i.e. be in a deathbed- at the final part of the next episode, since it is called "Demise") it will arguably be the first time we see a death from the inside, at the cell level too.
Mar 4, 2021 12:59 PM

Dec 2015
I felt bad for the cells in this guy's body. It's one thing and another and everyone has reached their breakpoint or has already passed it. I don't blame the red blood cell for having suicidal thoughts and wanting to end it all. After the dramatic event, it looked like his entire being shut down and what's left was a drone. It looks like in the next episode we will see heart problems, maybe a mild heart attack.
Mar 4, 2021 1:15 PM
Jan 2021
I wish this body will have a redemption arc of somesort :p
Mar 4, 2021 1:41 PM

Apr 2015
I never would have thought that Gout would make it as a subject, I hear a lot about Gout around me. It's for sure not nice, but I am mostly surprised how it happens.

That final scene is pretty creepy.... wtf
Mar 4, 2021 2:40 PM

Apr 2018
After watching this show, I won't ever partake in unhealthy behaviour.
Mar 4, 2021 2:51 PM

Jul 2013
The part where WBC hugs RBC really got me. Poor guy really needed that hug ;_;
It wouldn't be Hataraku Saibou Black without the episode ending in something implying the situation will get even worse.
Mar 4, 2021 2:56 PM

Jul 2011
Was great see the beautiful cell lady again.
Was the battle a Evangelion Sixth Angel reference?
How to calm the White Blood cell? With the big fluffy green thing hug.

Next episode heart (arrest or failure).
Mar 4, 2021 3:24 PM

Jun 2017
Damn that was good. RBC finally back on his feet but the body won't get any breaks still.

That Evangelion reference was dope. lol
Mar 4, 2021 3:37 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
MY SEXY ASS ARMY OF ALL FEMALE WARRIORS GETTIN DAT SCREEN TIME <3
Mar 4, 2021 5:51 PM

Jan 2020
Who came up with the fabulous idea of weaponizing leukocytes? lol, only the war tanks were missing and why not, mechas

I thought the judge would tell the protagonist that only those who have honored their work end there, and not "garbage" like him, but the situation was not as intense

The suspense of the last 2 chapters has me, will my body die or change course, what will happen ?, makes me want to buy the manga

Humans may have two eyes, but we can only see one thing
Don't use the scores to see an anime
ええい! なんでも やって やる
Mar 4, 2021 6:23 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
The desperation of the cells at those black environment continued. This time, its a Gout time that caused a damage through the left big toe areas, inflicting a lot of distrust issue to the whole wbc gangs. The immunity failed work? Ofc! They fought againts their own body waste products!

That's when the Rbc-kun cried suddenly soar, arousing the intensity of their desperation. Its a rebellion. Well, ofc the symptoms successfully defused by the outside help. However, the suffer still continue, and finally reach the critical point of the body: the heart. How the cell can suppose to survive against all of that misery?

Finally the spleen visualization and its process! Funny how the red pulp described as an old judge. That speech truly goosebumps me as well xd.
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Mar 4, 2021 6:46 PM
YouTuber / VA

Aug 2017
Damn, the feels, easily the best episode of the series (and that's including the original version and its second season). Also who wouldn't want a hug from White Blood Cell chick? Although frankly he was in the right she should have let all the cells keep attacking. If his body start attacking itself shutting down like that there'd be a shot he'd realize he needs to get his shit together and start treating it better (although I'm guessing he never does and the manga ends with him dying or something I don't know I haven't read it). Man I swear every episode this season alcohol is like the root cause of all the issues, makes me glad I don't drink lol this is a far better motivator not to drink alcohol than some stupid government ad campaign or religious ad campaign.
Mar 4, 2021 7:23 PM

Mar 2016
I feel like this episode briefly touched on the body's suicidal thoughts, self harming habits and self hatred. Previously, I'd only felt bad for the cells, but now I also feel bad for the owner of the body.

The conversation between WBC and RBC at the end reminded me of a similar conversation in the novel "The Blood of Olympus" between Nico and Reyna.
Mar 4, 2021 8:38 PM

Mar 2020
You know the body is done for when AA2153 lost himself; however, his old pale AC1677 came back for a second to give him a piece of advice.
Mar 4, 2021 9:38 PM

Jul 2016
That scene with RBC and the other Ordinary Cells rebelling against the body was quite nice. Really touching sequence indeed.

So... a potential heart attack next episode? Pretty ominous preview but all things considered, the event might actually change the owner's lifestyle if the body somehow survives. Given the near-death experience and stuff. Or else... the body ends up dying but our protagonists somehow survive via organ donation. This last scenario sounding rather fitting, I must say.
Mar 4, 2021 10:45 PM
Sep 2013
Well that.... was just really sad to watch. :/
Mar 5, 2021 12:14 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Another really dark and sad episode, this body is literally being destroyed and all cells even rebelled against him, it was also really sad to see MC being depressed like that and even wanted to be killed :/ and with that end it seems like it's not gonna stop for the dark events
Mar 5, 2021 3:18 AM

Jul 2009
Watching this makes me happy that I stopped smoking last year, jfc

Also

Mar 5, 2021 5:41 AM

Aug 2019
a hug is all my boy really needed
Mar 5, 2021 7:22 AM

Jan 2019
Wow, I have the impression that this anime is going exactly the way I wanted it to go, and I'm going to cry a lot if this is the case.

Next episode title: "Return, the heart, and demise". There will be an emergency meeting for all cells. I fear that such meeting will take place to announce that the body is dying. Perhaps this announcement will take place at the end of episode 12, and episode 13 is entirely dedicated to describing all the processes involved in the death of this individual. If my speculation is right, there couldn't be a more suitable ending for this series. Perhaps the manga will continue way beyond this point, describing a wide variety of other health problems that this body can have, but I would really prefer the anime to end with the death of the body at the end of this season.

The final stretch of this anime is just wonderful. Hataraku Saibou Black is perhaps my favorite tearjerker since Madoka Magica.
"If someone says it's wrong to hope, I'll tell them they're wrong every single time."
Mar 5, 2021 7:29 AM

Jul 2020
This episode was quite emotional. Glad the rbc got his hug medicine just in time, wbc was our mvp!

I also love the build-up in tension the last couple episode.
Mar 5, 2021 7:41 AM

Jun 2020
Next episode is called: Return, the heart, and demise. Nice
This anime shit is addictive
Mar 5, 2021 8:32 AM

Oct 2016
Damn that was a really great episode, definitely the best one so far for me. Seeing AA2153 all depressed and suicidal like that is really sad. And then he had to bumb into milf cell, AC1677 had a rocky start but he was a good dude.

Our cells really be engaging in armed warfare inside our bodies lmao, we got a whole ass rocket launcher and everything. Gout looks pretty fucking painful though.

AA2153 ranting about the body hits hard, even though I don't really smoke or drink and all that, that scene made me wanna stay even more far away from those things. That hug by U-1196 was great though, our boy just needed a hug after all he's been through.
Mar 5, 2021 9:57 AM
Jun 2020
This anime makes me realize how hard the human body works..It sents a clear message that we need to take care of ourselves....Gotta keep myself fit so that my cells can have an easy time....Deep respect for my cells...I m such a weeb
Mar 5, 2021 1:21 PM

Feb 2014
Our RBC is going through the definition of hell. Still grieving over the loss of his best friend, he even goes as far as begging the red pulp to end his life, in which he got a verbal berating instead.

As the battle against the appearance of gout (sounds really painful) got nowhere, even with armed warfare assisting the WBC crew, our RBC came in and simply lost it, showing just how fed up he is with the host body's shit lifestyle choices.

It's also the highlight of the episode for me when U-1196 hugged him, agreeing with him about how frustrated she is with the host body, but telling him to not give in and keep working hard for the sake of their fallen friends. This scene does hit hard.

Although the gout finally got dealt with, the end of the episode, as well as the preview, hints that the very worst outcome could potentially happen. Things are about to become even more depressing now... =(
Mar 5, 2021 2:43 PM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
This episode was very emotional and it almost made me cry. No matter how hard the cells work, the body continues to fall apart due to poor health conditions that are out of their control. The cells in our body are designed to keep us alive as long as possible, but it is our job to take our bodies so that we will have a long lasting life. Poor RBC MC desperately needed a hug from the WBC to calm him down and hopefully he will get back to work. I also had a relative that had gout and it was not fun at all, but I'm glad he was able to get rid of it once he changed his habits.

Mar 5, 2021 3:31 PM

Jan 2017
NGL never, ever before a single piece of media of any sort has me motivated so much to start really caring about my health (even the OG S1+S2).
Mar 5, 2021 7:31 PM

Mar 2016
Just another day in Sinaloa, fierro pariente!
No tomo malas decisiones, solo me gusta apoyar causas perdidas.
Disfruté Mayoiga, Ou-sama Game, Evil or Live, Mirai Nikki, Big Order, Arifureta, Ex-Arm, Tesla Note, Shuumatsu no Harem y Platinum End
nope les falle con esa, lo siento pero todos tenemos nuestros límites.
Así de jodido es mi gusto en anime, ¡Y estoy pinche orgulloso de ello!

Mar 6, 2021 7:20 AM
Oct 2019
Wow this is the best Episode so far...
So well written, so emotional and so relatable...

This is so sad and depressing...
It's like i can feel the grief and the frustration....
This episode made me cry 😢

Take care your body guys 🙏

After this episode i would say Code Black was definitely better than Cell at Work Season 2, it just hit me different...
davidyodo24Mar 6, 2021 7:30 AM
Mar 6, 2021 8:50 AM
Jul 2018
AA2153 and U-1196 scene were very impressive. I feel sorry for every cells in various ways.
I'm touched AC1677's quotes at the same time. Once again, he is the best friend.
Mar 6, 2021 12:54 PM
Anti-social One

Mar 2013
Dang, definitely left a tear or two seeing white blood cell console red blood cell. She really has a power of words. Although, rip for noone telling the female cell, that the best friend died. Ahh much pain.

P.S. Unrelated, but has anyone ever addressed that the white blood cells in this version don't have the little target triggers on their head to sense bacteria? Is that because of how fucked this body is? Or is it a stylistic choice? I don't know how I never noticed, but it makes me wonder if the male white blood cell would have noticed it wasn't an external pathogen.
Mar 6, 2021 6:13 PM

Feb 2012
AA2153 has become a shut-in, cannot take all the stress and pain that the black company that is body is putting on him. Terrible work conditions, friends dying.

Inflammation...from the body attacking itself, well, the body attacking a harmful byproduct is generated by itself.

AA2153 hearing second-hand how much his deceased best friend praised him was really heartbreaking...

He really needed that hug from U-1196.

I'm not sure if this will end with the body dying, but whatever the outcome, I hope they show who the body belongs to, does he look like AA2153?

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Mar 6, 2021 8:03 PM

Jan 2016
Damn every episode hits harder with that depressing ambient. Poor cells...
THANKS SENPIEX
Mar 6, 2021 8:23 PM

Sep 2020
This was a fantastic episode, this body really is hellish. That one red blood cells death still hits really hard especially during this episode when the lady talks about how he praised him for being a great friend. The emotional scene of him breaking down and attacking the body with other cells until his fist were bloody was great.
My only criticism is that I felt like I got whiplash when the white blood cells pulled our RPGs and M16s. It felt like it didn't belong to me.

Mar 6, 2021 9:41 PM

Oct 2008
so sad to see Sekkekkyuu AA2153 almost snapped-off!
good thing Hakkekkyuu U-1196 is here for the support...
5/5.

Mar 7, 2021 3:44 PM

Nov 2013
the heart, and demise - the title of the next ep. Ugh... Is episode 13 gonna be titled "DEATH"?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do you love your body?

Shizuna - Apr 8

7 by johnythepvpgod »»
Apr 12, 5:41 AM

Poll: » Hataraku Saibou Black (TV) Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

removed-user - Mar 18, 2021

158 by Doglove678 »»
Jan 23, 8:25 PM

Poll: » Hataraku Saibou Black (TV) Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

removed-user - Feb 25, 2021

110 by Penguinu »»
Jan 12, 1:06 AM

Poll: » Hataraku Saibou Black (TV) Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Feb 4, 2021

62 by hanakocheeks »»
Jul 10, 2023 3:17 AM

Poll: » Hataraku Saibou Black (TV) Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Jan 28, 2021

67 by hanakocheeks »»
Jul 8, 2023 8:33 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.