Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 4, 2021 7:57 AM
Sep 2016
After the catastrophic anime disaster that was Root A and RE, I simply can not give this manga a chance.

To be so bad that I retroactively and with righteous fury am willing to abandon objectivity and throw this manga into the flame because of how bad the anime was is telling of the quality of the story.

So the question is, is this mediocre overrated overhyped one trick pony manga even worth a damn?

Give objective and factual reasons for your opinions, we will analyze and judge this manga harshly and without mercy.
Don't go bringing emotions or hate to this topic, this is not elementary school playground.
I want reasoned answers.
Mar 6, 2021 9:00 AM
Mar 2015
I actually read it only because of the high score it has on MAL, and boy is it overhyped.
IMO 1st manga is 7/10 because it gets pretty by the end and doesn't suck that much (it's still too edgy and Kaneki is annoying), aside from the main character, I found most of the others to be at least likeable. It has set up a nice plot that might have been expanded upon quite well, I really liked the premise after all, first few chapters were quite enjoyable, but the plot twists at the end of the original manga left me with a bad aftertaste, so I jumped straight into :re.

The continuation , :re, is just dumb. The pacing is all over the place, Fights are short and boring, most of the new characters suck and are annoying, old characters are either neglected or worse than before, edginess goes through the roof, Aogiri, who are a big bad organisation end up being a fucking joke and Kaneki is even more garbage than before. It had one good arc (Rose arc) but over all it was worse than the first one.

BUT it did 2 things better than the original: - Haise was a much petter protagonist than Kaneki and chapters with him were much more bearable, too bad author didn't stick with him for much longer.
- Author's artsyle improved, by a lot, I find this manga's art to be really pretty and unique, and for that alone I gave it a bonus point.

Overall if you're not THAT much into manga I wouldn't really recommend you Tokyo Ghoul, there are better things to read, but if you want to see how to fuck up a promising series and still end up as one of the highest scoring manga then go ahead, read it.

btw Tokyo Ghoul is one of my favourite manga to complain about lol.
Mar 7, 2021 12:52 PM
Sep 2016
Thank you for your constructive reply, I enjoyed reading your opinion.

It's true that I was interested in the premise and I won't deny the authors improvement in art. Tokyo Ghoul wouldn't have become this big if everything was catastrophic.

The new Neverland season is derailed like Root A and re: that it reminded me of Tokyo Ghouls failure.
I looked into the manga and can't believe that something so, I won't say specifically say "bad", but so weak got an anime adaptation.
While manga like Psyren never got an anime or my beloved 1989 manga Parasyte only received an adaptation in 2014.

Tokyo Ghoul manga and anime were blessed so much, yet they squandered their potential... That is the saddest thing..
Mar 19, 2021 11:29 AM
Sep 2019
Absolutely
Abandon the anime and read the manga instantly
Mar 19, 2021 12:41 PM
Aug 2018
It's worth it the story makes more sense, the art is pretty good and most importantly it's not rushed like the anime adaptation.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Favorite girl?

zero00guard - Apr 3

18 by DylP1ckl3n »»
Apr 6, 8:26 PM

» Is there any pedophilia/sexual assault in the books?

Saiunknown - Mar 25

19 by Sturdies »»
Mar 28, 2:04 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul Chapter 1 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 2, 2012

39 by hakuxweeb »»
Mar 26, 8:03 AM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul Chapter 58 Discussion

Stark700 - May 19, 2014

19 by angelqie »»
Mar 21, 11:05 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul Chapter 20 Discussion

Stark700 - Oct 25, 2013

20 by SirFries »»
Mar 5, 6:31 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.