Forum Settings
Forums

What is your dream job? Do you think it is possible for you to practice it?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 7, 2021 2:19 PM

Jun 2019
LadyMarble said:
Meusnier said:

Obviously, a prerequisite is to enjoy mathematics! I am sure that many jobs in Academia are valued similarly. The only notable difference that I see might be the greater intellectual freedom considering how cheap is it to do mathematics (and there are no worries about animal testing or handling of deadly chemicals and viruses), which permits to say more vague things in grant proposals and to include work in progress in them as "future research goals."

That's very true! All you need for maths really is a brain, paper and a pencil. I'm taking a degree in linguistics and most of the research I have to read (and will eventually be carrying out) involves listening to different people saying the same word and asking why they don't all say it the same haha (I'm joking, I love it)

It sounds quite interesting in fact, and I read interesting research the other about the links between mathematics and language; apparently, the verbal zones of the brain do not play a big role in mathematical reasoning, which confirms my daily experience that it is not-disturbing to listen to music in any language when I am doing mathematics.

Mar 7, 2021 7:21 PM

Jul 2020
Meusnier said:
Nothing else than the best job in the world:

https://time.com/63726/worlds-best-job/

Working with numbers all day and your brain constantly under stress like a computer? That sounds like torture tbh.
Mar 8, 2021 4:58 AM

Oct 2020
id like to make alternative legos but has to do with circles instead of squares.
Mar 8, 2021 10:34 AM

Jun 2019
Bloomberry said:
Meusnier said:
Nothing else than the best job in the world:

https://time.com/63726/worlds-best-job/

Working with numbers all day and your brain constantly under stress like a computer? That sounds like torture tbh.

Rather than numbers, you think of proofs that may not involve numbers in any significant way. This is both stressful and amusing (depending on how close your deadlines are), and certainly very different from how a computer processes. There is probably as much or even more suffering in most other creative activities, and the pleasure one has to daydream about theories and proofs should not be underestimated.
Mar 8, 2021 11:18 AM

Jul 2012
Meusnier said:

It sounds quite interesting in fact, and I read interesting research the other about the links between mathematics and language; apparently, the verbal zones of the brain do not play a big role in mathematical reasoning, which confirms my daily experience that it is not-disturbing to listen to music in any language when I am doing mathematics.

That's really interesting. I didn't read the whole document but the diagrams spoke volumes (excuse the pun hehe). I was never interested in psychology but the lack of connection between language and mathematics in terms of brainpower is something that surprises me. It makes sense I suppose. Like you say, hearing spoken word whilst doing mathematics wouldn't be off-putting if you're using another part of the brain.
Mar 8, 2021 11:22 AM

Jul 2019
1. NEET
2. AV actor
3. Gang Leader
4. Swim Instructor
5. Preschool Teacher
6. Salaryman

Is it possible? Yes. But do I have the energy or motivation to pursue these (except for the first one)? No I do not
Mar 8, 2021 11:26 AM
Jul 2018
I want to do marketing, I have done internships and I like it but don't know if i can get into a good enough university for it.
Mar 8, 2021 2:28 PM

Jun 2019
LadyMarble said:
Meusnier said:

That's really interesting. I didn't read the whole document but the diagrams spoke volumes (excuse the pun hehe). I was never interested in psychology but the lack of connection between language and mathematics in terms of brainpower is something that surprises me. It makes sense I suppose. Like you say, hearing spoken word whilst doing mathematics wouldn't be off-putting if you're using another part of the brain.

I am happy to hear that you found that interesting.
Mar 8, 2021 8:34 PM

Feb 2017
my dream job is to be the person with the black hood that cuts off people's heads with an axe when the king or whoever wants me to.
Mar 8, 2021 10:56 PM

Feb 2020
My dream job for a long time was to be a vertebrate paleontologist as I loved Dinosaurs since being taught it in School. My education though has been very uh... interrupted at times (don't really want to get into too much) but at times I was self-taught, and I tried self-teaching myself Dinosaurs. After a while I thought I'd try the Open University as they had a Palaeontology short course, but I was underage to join, so they had to seriously consider me. Eventually they allowed me to join them, and I did the Palaeontology course...and I passed it by quite a ways. I thought about going to university but other stuff happend, and also Paleontology isn't a course taught here all the time, and it was wasn't when I was looking. Although ironically last year I saw there's actually several Palaeontology courses in many different universities, but with how the (UK) universities handled the covid situation so disastrously, I'm glad I didn't take it up, as it probably would be no different from my OU course all those years ago. Short answer, yes if I was educated in it more
Mar 8, 2021 11:06 PM
Grave of Flowers

Dec 2012
I hear it's best to just own a business but all paths are stressful in their respective manner so I suggest you just follow what makes you happy. As for me...

┍━━━━»•» «•«━━━━┑

🎖️ mal badges
🏠 blog navigation
🏆 graph badges

┕━━━━»•» ☠️ «•«━━━━┙
Mar 9, 2021 5:28 AM

Sep 2015
My less realistic dream is to work as a comic artist or author. My more realistic dream is to work as a language teacher but that's not really a dream, it just seems alright.
can dis sig fit
Mar 9, 2021 6:17 AM

Jan 2020
A novelist , started writing a first draft yesterday, but I think it's cringe , well no surprise it's first draft .

Formally I want to be a consulate but shit the requirements for you to be a consulate is being a student from national top 10 university , and my mom didn't allow me to go to other city , and i live in the capital where to enter the university is to score very high in national mass campus selection test , fuck it i threw that shit i only aim to be a regular Civil servants now , at least I have money for retirement.

RIP to my dream for being a consulate in Rep.of Ireland or Hungary
Хайде, хайде, хайде, това е първата зона, брато, първа зона, първа зона, добре, добре, добре, това става тук горе, отива тук горе, само спокойно, само спокойно... Ха, отдясно е, навсякъде отдясно отдясно къде е дясното ти о да добре добре добре тихо мълчаливо не успях да се съсредоточа върху това ЕХ ТЪПАК КОГАТО СИ БАВНО БАВНО ... ой е путката на моето момиче прасе куче, аз Чувствам се добре, о, мамо, *шамар*, какво е това госпожице татко-
Mar 9, 2021 6:46 AM

Jan 2020
One day I would like to be a painter. ...
Jun 1, 2021 12:10 AM
Mar 2021
I'm dreaming about working in the sphere of astrophysics. It seems that it is a very interesting job for me. But I still have no enough knowledge to work there
Jul 1, 2021 2:40 AM

Feb 2021
BalanceBlind said:
I'm dreaming about working in the sphere of astrophysics. It seems that it is a very interesting job for me. But I still have no enough knowledge to work there
Good luck! You can do it! Keep it up :)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 1, 2021 3:14 AM

Jun 2021
in the spring of 2004 during my second to last year of high school, i suddenly wanted to become a journalist for basketball minor leagues after the most famous writer of the zone came visiting my class and he knew a lot of stuff about the senior squad of the society i was playing in back then and started following as a supporter with a new firm created by myself in those exact months to root for the team. I began buying the local newspaper with his articles and discovered with joy that those leagues were covered 4 days out of 7 every week, something unbelievable for such a level of non professional players. Plus, i was told that university wasn't required to get a job.
Sadly, after my graduation of the following year, the coverage of these minor leagues become smaller and smaller with every passing year and already at the end of 2005 after visiting the newspapers headquarters building and two unsuccessful phone calls to the journalist, i gave up. On the bright side, i later found jobs both good on its own and that also didn't forbid me to still follow my team and these minor leagues
Jul 1, 2021 5:27 AM

Nov 2020
i really hate the phrase "dream job" lmao. as miserable and boring as jobs are, why would anyone dream of having one regardless of what it is smh.
Jul 1, 2021 5:28 AM

Mar 2021
a translator, seems really possible

wanted to be a teacher but mehh
Jul 1, 2021 5:31 AM

Sep 2020
i would love to be a streamer, but it isn't really a reliable source of income until you become big-ish and i also don't think i'm good enough at games to where people would watch me.
Mar 28, 2022 9:02 AM

Jan 2022
My dream job was to be an owner / operator of a Video Game Arcade & Diner business, where it's literally a few hundred upright arcade machines in rows, cocktail cabs and stuff. Not redemption machine B.S. ---a time warp hangout for kids of the late 70s through late 1990s and "unique attraction" for the modern generations.

Only it's not really realistic. And Covid Variable Era killed off most of the good non Barcades I knew of. And unless dragged along as a kid, most young folk play games on their phones or consoles on internet. They'd never be arsed to "go hangout" at a physical location to play old school games or a few modern ones.

So that dream job never happened and won't happen. I was great at Security Force Protection work holding the line against the desperate/stupid and crazy/brave types, but at 41 in March 2020 had had enough of that. Might be working a driver job soon that let's me drive all over Texas ferrying ppl around for private companies, and I love to Drive, so maybe that'll be my dream job soon. Who knows?
Mar 29, 2022 7:18 AM
May 2009
No such thing.
I had to issue through out my life, no dream job ever appeared.
I basically just choose a steady job, with good work hours and casual work attire.
focusing on early retirement.
No big dreams, no big money required.
Mar 29, 2022 9:07 PM
Laika Moonlight

Dec 2020
I've always wanted to be an author for as long as I can remember

I did actually publish a novel last year. So, uh, GG, me? It wasn't very good, though
My greatest contribution to this website:
Mar 29, 2022 11:46 PM

Jul 2013
Being a blacksmithing homesteader forging tools in his shop everyday. Problems are that my home is overcrowded or densely populated and that my science still needs to get better. Especially oceanography and geology.

Still, I look forward to getting my dream job. I don't mind living alone, taking care of myself. I will most likely get satellite internet, but I know that I won't be missing Screwtube, other dumbass websites from Commiefornia or Netflix.

Would sure love to smith like in Skyrim, but with the energy efficient rocket stove instead of big ass furnaces burning too much fuel. Next one I'll make will most certainly be made of clay and fiberglass.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Would you ever be interested in going on a blind date?

Thy-Veseveia - 3 hours ago

8 by deg »»
8 minutes ago

» What do yall collect? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bevarnow - Jan 25

313 by Lightskynight »»
14 minutes ago

Poll: » If we eat the mermaid's tail, is it cannibalism or is it fish meat?

Absurdo_N - 3 hours ago

18 by deg »»
16 minutes ago

Poll: » Bluey is the most watched anime in the world now

tsukareru - 5 hours ago

11 by phantom346 »»
23 minutes ago

Poll: » In the future there will be battles for love between species from other planets(theory)

Absurdo_N - 2 hours ago

5 by Adnash »»
31 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.