Forum Settings
Forums

The couples accused of destroying Japan's families

New
Mar 3, 2021 10:58 AM

Jun 2011
https://news.yahoo.com/amphtml/couples-accused-destroying-japans-families-002315688.html
Mari Inoue is a 34-year-old English professor in Tokyo. She got engaged to her boyfriend Kotaro Usui three years ago. A wedding, they say, is out of the question.

It's not the pandemic that is preventing them, but an archaic Japanese law that requires married couples to adopt the same surname.

Theoretically either partner could give up their family name. In practice it is almost always the woman who loses hers: one study found it's them who change it 96% of the time.

"I find this very unfair," said Ms Inoue. "We should have the choice (to retain both)."

Her fiancé agrees. He considered becoming an Inoue but some relatives were unhappy. "I don't want to make any family sad," said Mr Usui. "We would like to be able to choose whether to change or keep one's name."
Japan is among only a few advanced economies to stop couples holding separate surnames after marriage - through a law that explicitly discriminates against women, according to a UN committee.

Six years ago two high-profile lawsuits aimed at changing the rules failed. But the movement for reform - joined by Ms Inoue and Mr Usui - has only grown.

Kaori Oguni was one of the five plaintiffs who launched cases against the government, arguing that the law on surnames was unconstitutional and violated human rights.

But in 2015 Japan's Supreme Court decided it was reasonable to use one surname for a family, upholding the 19th Century rule.

"It felt like an arrogant teacher was scolding us," said Ms Oguni, still using her birth name informally. "I'd hoped the court would respect individual rights."

Instead the judge said it was parliament that should decide on whether to pass new legislation.

The political sphere, like most workplaces in Japan, is dominated by men. Entrenched cultural expectations view childcare and housework as women's work even if they are employed outside the home. Sexism is rife.

Unsurprisingly then the country has a poor gender equality record, ranking 121st of 153 nations in the last World Economic Forum report.

The government says it wants more women to enter the shrinking workforce but the gender gap seems to be growing - Japan slipped 11 places from the previous equality study.

But in December the government reneged on its goals for women's empowerment with a watered-down gender equality plan that omitted the surname issue.

It "may destroy the social structure based on family units", warned Sanae Takaichi, a former minister, at the time.

Just last week, Japan's newly appointed minister for women's empowerment and gender equality, Tamayo Marukawa, said she was opposed to a legal change allowing women to keep their birth name.

For many "a woman who doesn't want to take her husband's name disrupts much more than a nuclear family, she disrupts the whole idea of family", said Linda White, a professor in Japanese Studies at Middlebury College in the US.

She explained how Japan's traditional koseki (family registry) system, based on single-surname households, has helped preserve patriarchal control everywhere from government to big business.

Japanese society itself seems open to change. Recent polls suggest a majority favour allowing married couples to keep separate surnames.

An October survey by Chinjyo Action and Waseda University showed that 71% supported giving people a choice.

In this changing landscape nine new legal challenges are in progress. Unlike last time, when all but one of the plaintiffs were women, nearly every lawsuit involves a man too.

It appears to be a conscious strategy in a movement where many of the leading figures are framing the debate in terms of human rights rather than women's rights or feminism.

"It's more an individual identity and freedom issue" than a feminist one, said lead lawyer Fujiko Sakakibara, 67. "We wanted to show that it impacts men as much as women."

Of the 18 plaintiffs now locked in surname disputes, half are men. One is a prominent CEO of a Tokyo-based software firm who legally took his wife's surname upon marriage.

Another is Seiichi Yamasaki. The retired civil servant has been in a de-facto relationship with his partner for 28 years as they thought it was unfair for either to change names.

At the age of 71, Mr Yamasaki wants the next generation to have a choice while showing "there is demand among older people too".

This article is even longer than I remember! (And there is more if you wanna click) But it is the most interesting thing I have read all week!

I am sincerely rooting for the women and men of Japan to have this sort of personal freedom and liberty I do. I personally kept my name upon marriage and that was a choice I am happy to have had even if most women in USA do drop their surname on marriage, it should be a matter of choice. It should not be up to any government on that. What do you think? Are you cheering on Japan and progress? Do you think the government there will give people what they want?

The anime community in a nutshell.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Mar 3, 2021 12:58 PM

Sep 2017
Country been getting infested by suicides and depression, and it's people are concerned with these stuff? Too much for a developed country
خ
Mar 3, 2021 1:04 PM

May 2016
The definition of first world problems. Lol
Mar 3, 2021 1:27 PM

Apr 2018
Except for what I read of the statements given by Japanese politicians I disagree a little with that information. If there are 4% of women who can keep their last name, then it means that the Koseki does not force you to change the husband's last name. It would then be more of a cultural problem and not a legal one.

You and the rose are connected. Know the weight of your own life
Mar 3, 2021 2:03 PM

Sep 2014
so they do have the choice to keep the brides name but dont want to deal with their families feelings over it?

Thats really such a non issue.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Mar 3, 2021 2:43 PM

May 2016
A name is most of the time part of your identity, so I don't see whats so pointless about wanting to keep the one you're familiar with.

Unless I'm reading something wrong.
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from within it.
Mar 3, 2021 6:28 PM

Mar 2008
I'm fine with people taking either's name or keeping theirs or making a new name maybe but wouldn't that be a bit difficult paperwork wise having different family names? Though to the contrary undergoing a name change is a hassle in itself having to change all your documents and bank accounts and so on. So there is pros and cons for both. Also what would people that keep their names do when it comes to their children? Who's name do they get? Both?
Mar 3, 2021 6:44 PM
Jul 2018
I'm really surprised by the responses in this thread, because the idea that you are forced to change your surname if you want to marry someone (in 2021!) is baffling to me. (Yes I know most couples do this anyway but still) Guess I shouldn't be surprised though since Japan seems to love archaic traditions.
traed said:
I'm fine with people taking either's name or keeping theirs or making a new name maybe but wouldn't that be a bit difficult paperwork wise having different family names? Though to the contrary undergoing a name change is a hassle in itself having to change all your documents and bank accounts and so on. So there is pros and cons for both. Also what would people that keep their names do when it comes to their children? Who's name do they get? Both?
I don't know about other countries but my country has a set of laws for this. I, for example, got my dad's surname by default, as my parents are different-sex and married.
removed-userMar 3, 2021 6:51 PM
Mar 3, 2021 6:47 PM

Jan 2021
I’m not sure why are people so surprised lol, I mean it’s Japan,
Mar 3, 2021 7:13 PM

Jun 2011
traed said:

I can tell you how it is in the United States… Most people any when they have different last names or they decide ahead of time whose last name they think is better for the kids to get.

But the reason why this is such a big deal is because the family registry is how everything is decided with regards to inheritance and businesses and a lot of other stuff. Women are largely not granted the same opportunities as men because of this.
Mar 3, 2021 7:17 PM

Jun 2011
Rachiba said:
Except for what I read of the statements given by Japanese politicians I disagree a little with that information. If there are 4% of women who can keep their last name, then it means that the Koseki does not force you to change the husband's last name. It would then be more of a cultural problem and not a legal one.

You must change your last name when you get married either to your wife’s, or to your husband’s. One of you goes on the family registry of the other. That portion is actually in there. But many people would like to keep the name they always had with neither changing.

Everyone in Japan is forced to change their name when they get married.
Mar 3, 2021 7:22 PM

Jun 2011
DeN11 said:
Fatephile said:
Country been getting infested by suicides and depression, and it's people are concerned with these stuff? Too much for a developed country

You have a point. Japan has a lot of issues such as the suicide rate and declining population to worry about. To be fair one of the biggest concern in Japan is the tipping scale of the old-age ratio that has to be addressed, not some type of petty surname issue.

This issue actually heavily impedes women’s rights and equality. There is a lot to this. Isn’t just a name change. It’s an entire family change. It also hurts women’s ability to be hired after they’ve been married. There is a lot of stuff tied up in this.
Mar 3, 2021 7:29 PM
Oct 2020
Why shouldn't people get to choose their names?

Does anyone have an argument against it other than that they think there are more important things to worry about? The government can do more than one thing at once, so that's not a good argument.
Mar 3, 2021 7:49 PM

Mar 2008
Energetic-Nova said:
traed said:

I can tell you how it is in the United States… Most people any when they have different last names or they decide ahead of time whose last name they think is better for the kids to get.

But the reason why this is such a big deal is because the family registry is how everything is decided with regards to inheritance and businesses and a lot of other stuff. Women are largely not granted the same opportunities as men because of this.

That's what I was indirectly bringing up. Wouldn't their children mostly follow the same pattern from past cultural traditions where most will take the male's family name? This would lessen how things are but not as much as some may expect. It doesn't sound like it solves the issue of how their laws work, only putting a bandage on it.
Mar 3, 2021 7:58 PM

Dec 2016
I don't really see how this affects the peasantry normies overly much. It doesn't matter which way you change your family name unless you ae from a prestigious or military family or attempting to get into one or something.

SoverignMar 3, 2021 8:10 PM
Mar 3, 2021 8:07 PM

Nov 2008
This will do more harm than good. There are better ways to get more women in the workplace for example or upward mobility that aren't so culturally destructive.
HoppyMar 3, 2021 8:10 PM

Mar 3, 2021 8:51 PM

Jun 2011
traed said:
Energetic-Nova said:

That's what I was indirectly bringing up. Wouldn't their children mostly follow the same pattern from past cultural traditions where most will take the male's family name? This would lessen how things are but not as much as some may expect. It doesn't sound like it solves the issue of how their laws work, only putting a bandage on it.

In order to keep their own names when married, they have to actually pass legislation which reforms the registry itself. It’s apparently not that easy. :/
Mar 3, 2021 9:02 PM

Mar 2008
Energetic-Nova said:
traed said:

In order to keep their own names when married, they have to actually pass legislation which reforms the registry itself. It’s apparently not that easy. :/

Im saying the problem sounds like it's more than to do with names in how the registry works unless im not quite understanding it.
Mar 5, 2021 9:55 AM

Apr 2020
it seems like the government is the one making a fuss about this... just let them keep their names, it's not that deep
Mar 5, 2021 11:51 AM

May 2016
araizarai said:
Kayle_x_Morgana said:
inclusive mister potato head though now that's a real issue.

I NEED TO KNOW WHAT GENDER MY POTATO HEAD IS WHEN IT'S STILL IN THE BOX

THIS IS LITERALLY MORE IMPORTANT THAN WOMEN HAVING AGENCY OR AUTONOMY

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Mar 5, 2021 1:23 PM

May 2016
araizarai said:
Kayle_x_Morgana said:

yup considering his name was originally ---MR--- therefore 0 reason whatsoever to change it.
the end.
Mar 5, 2021 2:20 PM

May 2016
Kayle_x_Morgana said:
araizarai said:

yup considering his name was originally ---MR--- therefore 0 reason whatsoever to change it.
the end.

Soooo...you're saying toy potatoes are more important than human rights?

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.