Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 1, 2021 9:29 AM

Jul 2017
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
A surprise to see the weeaboo otaku Naoya in Shonan...to promote his love for anime and the idol on his surfboard Miruru, in the sense that's anything magical maid-inspired. I get it that those kids-centralized series are hugely popular in Japan, but to the West, basically little to no one cares.

A surprise for Masaki's family to come visit him in Shonan, plus Oarai's greetings. Tadao sure has style to show up in a Harley Davidson look-alike motorcycle to impress the ladies, especially Masaki's mom.

If I have to describe Naoya, this sentence fits him to a T: "Your personality’s greatest strength is also your greatest weakness". The surfing gang trying to help Naoya raise his spirits after being spoiled by leaked spoilers, but it's in vain outside of surfing, much less replicating his otaku interest into surfing freedom.

Even the dogs get their "romance" time as well...Isokichi and SG Hammer.

I'd guess this is one way to do character development episodes decently? I don't like how dragged this episode went out, but I'd guess it wasn't half-bad either for the fast passing of time.
KANLen09Mar 1, 2021 5:14 PM
Mar 1, 2021 12:35 PM

Dec 2016
For me this episode was really cute. I related with Naoya a lot because we all enjoy that one show or cartoon so much that we are heartbroken when it ends. I really felt him with that one. Also for the love of gosh please stop mentioning Sho like my heart can only break so many times.....
Stay cool : )     
Mar 1, 2021 3:12 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Summer festival nuance, with an additional weeboo theme at it. The dog story really touch me, while Masaki mom enjoyed her fun ride with Tadao-san. What a romance within those twos! Little sister kept amaze me with her genkiness. That's good. Idk how i can survive without you xd.

The surfer teen story always just fine to started off. Masaki, once again, became a motivator to his entire surrounding. Guess after losing his best friend, he decided to become a bestie for everyone else. I see, its a development. The weeboo dude story just too exaggerating, if i can be honest here. The whole depressing time just nothing, because Miruru kept producing their season, smh. Well, at least they need a story to begin with. So its just fine at its finest....

Surfing Yappe!! Yeah!
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Mar 1, 2021 6:00 PM

Oct 2009
As random as this episode was (it's really best not to even try to keep track of pacing), I ended up loving it. It's a bit of a cheat: creating a total otaku fan character in an anime is easily going to be the most relatable for all too many people watching it, but that's not necessarily a bad thing if everything else around them is nicely done. And here we do have a relatively wide, if a little generic, range of support characters and elements. Especially with Masaki's family showing up out of the blue - together with Isokichi. Never expected to learn so much about Miruru, or see doggy romance, for that matter.

And although Naoya is a precious ball of floof, this was the second episode in a row without a single sighting of Nalu. I miss the ukulele. Also can't help wondering if we'll see a Kousuke-centric episode too? Or did we have that already? I don't even remember...
Mar 1, 2021 6:24 PM

Jun 2014
Naoya certainly loves Miruru, and he thought that the possibility of the show ending meant that he could never surf again, but Masaki assured him that he can go on.

After the credits, it was confirmed that Miruru will have a 6th season, so Naoya will certainly be happy about that.

Mar 1, 2021 8:03 PM
Jul 2018
this episode was pretty decent, nice development for that other guy, this dude really does love his waifu though lmao. nice sol moments but oh god i cringe so hard whenever tadao tries to sound cool when he says stuff in english and stuff lol
Mar 3, 2021 1:55 AM
Sep 2015
Even as of now I'm still in denial mode regarding Sho's death. Maybe he fake his death and went hiding so that his family can get his life insurance money?
Mar 4, 2021 5:03 PM
Jul 2018
How did his mom get a helmet, there weren’t any compartments to hold the helmet in the motorcycle from what I could see, I could be wrong 😑 but.
Mar 4, 2021 5:36 PM

Oct 2008
why haven't i noticed this earlier?!? Hinaoka Masaki's mom is one hot young beautiful pretty gorgeous MILF!!!
4/5.

Mar 5, 2021 8:10 AM

Dec 2016
What Naoya is feeling is what we're gonna feel when SnK ends...it's relatable.

Masaki is so annoying...

I miss Tanaka, he was the only likeable character for me.

I can't take their Alein-ish music anymore...

I still feel like Sho's alive, he might suddenly appear in the forest cup.
Mar 13, 2021 12:13 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Another side character being depressed then resolved episode, and this time it's for the weeb that is obsessed with his hatsune miku precure rip-off... lol
Mar 19, 2021 5:41 AM

Jun 2020
Naoya getting into a funk just because he thought his beloved anime was ending — boiiiiii what a PHAT M00D

Thank goodness for Naoya that there’s actually going to be another season!! How lucky! X)

Also I love that the OST is on Spotify. I really like one more chance, one ocean & the BFF ED♡

but i’ll probably remember over and over again
you were there and everyone else was there
— the day we all searched for just one thing

May 2, 2021 5:56 PM

Mar 2016
Yay, now everyon's motivations are fixed :D

Let's go for that big competition

May 6, 2021 2:41 AM

Jul 2015
I don't know if I should feel happy for Naoya with his love for the magical girl anime or feel embarrased by how cringy it appears as I can't really relate to it. Well at least he has good friends who support him.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Wave!!: Surfing Yappe!! (TV) Episode 1 Discussion

zaverix - Jan 11, 2021

25 by removed-user »»
Jun 6, 2023 11:05 PM

Poll: » Wave!!: Surfing Yappe!! (TV) Episode 5 Discussion

KANLen09 - Feb 8, 2021

43 by senekohan »»
Apr 1, 2023 10:04 AM

Poll: » Wave!!: Surfing Yappe!! (TV) Episode 9 Discussion

KANLen09 - Mar 8, 2021

13 by Selleri_UmU »»
Feb 19, 2023 12:20 PM

Poll: » Wave!!: Surfing Yappe!! (TV) Episode 12 Discussion

KANLen09 - Mar 29, 2021

31 by trss6443 »»
Jan 23, 2022 4:52 AM

Poll: » Wave!!: Surfing Yappe!! (TV) Episode 11 Discussion

KANLen09 - Mar 22, 2021

16 by Unkrowned »»
May 6, 2021 7:39 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.