Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Feb 27, 2021 10:06 PM
Mar 2020
I must admit, I am not big on shounen mainly because of the tropes and how childish it can come across as. But I can appreciate one if it is constructed well and entertaining.

I understand some of the appeal of Demon Slayer, that being:
Pros
- Animation, which never failed to captivate me
- Story, which is semi-decent. While simple, managed to keep me hooked and it was interesting to see different demons with unique abilities.
- Soundtrack, which is just great.

But this show has major flaws. Do fans overlook them or are they just not bothered by them?
Cons
- Pacing- not so much the overall plot but in arcs and fillers between arcs, which made the story flow poorly. Some battles were way too drawn out eg. bong guy battle. In the spider arc, it took a good chunk of nothing happening to even get to the first fight. Fillers between arcs are filled with bad comedy and was just... well, boring. Here's an example, when Zenitsu asks Tanjirou "what's in the box?", Tanjirou could have said two words: "My sister". But NO, it becomes a long segment of Tanjirou being cut off by Zenitsu's awful yelling, and the truth is never even unveiled by the end of the episode. Another thing that bugged me was characters unneccesarily standing for extended amounts of time (eg. Tanjirou taking time to process Zenitsu being beaten up by Inosuke). People who criticise SoL for being boring are the types of people who love shounens like Demon Slayer. But these segments in Demon Slayer have bored me more than any SoL I've seen.

- Characters- Tanjirou is a generic shounen protagonist defined by one trait: always kind. He comes across as extremely dull and unrelatable. Inosuke is also defined by one trait: always wanting to fight, but he's not the worst character. No the worst character is Zenitsu who cries, whines and screams. He is screaming about 90% of his screen time and thus, has an extremely punchable face. The rest of the cast did not stand out either, except Shinobu.

- Humour- a good 1/3 of the show is dedicated to bad humour. For example, Zenitsu is a crybaby and a scaredy cat... that's the joke. I must say, it also has to do with the likability of the character. A good comparison is Mio from K-On which also uses this same gag, but she is a very likable character with way more facets to her personality than just this trait. Zenitsu comes across as obnoxious and loud, and this gag is used like 20 times. The entire show managed to get 3 chuckles out of me, 1 being an ironic one.

- Flashbacks- I'll admit this one is a little biased but bugged me nevertheless. Flashbacks are used to go through demons' backstory once they are killed or about to be killed. This just felt like a cop out to try and make me feel sympathy from a character. Rather than building on an existing character, it felt like it was describing 2 characters instead of 1: a "bad guy" who is bad for the sake of it, and a pitiful person.

These were my main grudges with the show. Despite all this, this show is not bad and I don't hate it, but I am more inclined to lean towards the bad reviews of the show than the good ones. I also don't think this show deserves an 8.6 at all.

Civil conversation please :)
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Feb 27, 2021 10:07 PM

Jul 2020
I think everyone already knows this.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Feb 27, 2021 10:11 PM

Apr 2015
Yeah, true, but I'll take KnY over AoT any day though.
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Feb 27, 2021 10:12 PM

Oct 2018
Scordolo said:
What he said. I can't think of a take I have heard more in the last almost 2 years than Demon Slayer is overrated.
Feb 27, 2021 10:12 PM
May 2020
The term "overrated" is more overrated than Demon slayer oh wait, is Demon slayer even overrated?
Feb 27, 2021 10:13 PM

Oct 2018
What a good animation can do, hein?

And people tend to say "I prefer a good story over a good animation"
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
Feb 27, 2021 10:16 PM
Mar 2020
Adimus_prime said:
Scordolo said:
What he said. I can't think of a take I have heard more in the last almost 2 years than Demon Slayer is overrated.

I've heard a lot more of good comments on this show than bad, but I suppose most people on this site don't like it lol
Feb 27, 2021 10:24 PM

Aug 2011
I think it's widely accepted that Demon Slayer is overrated, and not just by people who didn't like it. Plenty of people who actually did enjoy it would still agree that it's not exactly an incredible or revolutionary show.
Feb 27, 2021 10:31 PM
Feb 2021
Demon slayer is your typical shounen anime its got high scores mainly because of the animation.

Stop watching shounen shows if you dont like the genre. Ez solution
Feb 27, 2021 10:34 PM

Mar 2019
Scordolo said:

You would be really surprised.
It's an popular opinion on MAL, but not everywhere. I've seen too many people who put it on equal footing as AoT and HxH.

Anime was it's best 20000 years ago, when cavemen drew art with real depth.
Modern anime is all garbage. I miss great old days of anime.
Feb 27, 2021 10:36 PM

Dec 2016
Tell us something we do not know yet...
Feb 27, 2021 10:37 PM

Mar 2019
Tropisch said:

Is it me or people who dislike AoT bring it up all discussions? It's living rent free in their minds....

Anime was it's best 20000 years ago, when cavemen drew art with real depth.
Modern anime is all garbage. I miss great old days of anime.
Feb 27, 2021 10:40 PM

Nov 2017
I loved the flashbacks ngl lol but demon slayer is not really overrated is more like overhated
"he has it big as a cactus
but he won't let go of my head
and I puke on his cock bitch" - Boy by Fishball 
Feb 27, 2021 10:41 PM

Dec 2020
A lot of those you said are just you nitpicking though.
The pacing is debatable. I personally find the pacing of KnY to be great (except for that episode with multiple shots of Nezuko kicking the arrow demon).
Also, who in their right mind would answer "my sister" when asked what's in the box???

The characters also depend on the viewer. For example, though Tanjirou is defined by one trait, he isn't by all means generic. A generic protagonist is kind, naive, and hypocritical. Though Tanjirou is kind, he is by no means naive or hypocritical. I can make a case for every character, even Zenitsu who you despise so much.

Humour is also debatable wtf. Just because you didn't find the show to be funny, doesn't mean it's not funny at all. Look at Gintama, even though it's the funniest anime in the world, a lot of people don't find it funny mainly because of dick jokes.

And you just admitted that Flashback is your bias.

I wasted all my time in rewatching to the point of my rewatch total is higher than my overall anime total lmao
Feb 27, 2021 10:42 PM

Apr 2017
Overrated is like a badge of honor for an anime.

You know an anime does something right when people are calling it overrated.
cunnysseur
Feb 27, 2021 10:44 PM

Feb 2019
Well, we all know demon slayer is overrated, jjk also
Sakuta002766Feb 27, 2021 10:56 PM
Feb 27, 2021 10:48 PM
Jul 2018
yeah i can agree with you on this, gets carried really hard by the animation and soundtrack, thats why i gave the manga a 4 while the anime got a 6
Feb 27, 2021 10:49 PM
Jul 2018
Demon slayer is overrated... (247)
Feb 27, 2021 10:51 PM

May 2019
Again huh? If you were here a year ago, you'd know this forum had been flooded by this topic already.
Feb 27, 2021 10:57 PM

Apr 2018
At this point, I think all anime that I know is overrated.

Feb 27, 2021 10:58 PM
Sep 2018
Man, now this is getting old.

Every popular shows are overrated (as per as their perceptions) ... man should I give KnY 1/10 and Boku no Pico or Aoi Sora 10/10 then?

Season 2 is coming and all the nagging is coming back also.

Keep cool and watch another one. I, like many know that you haters also ENJOYED the show and somehow become offended after seeing it getting much more attention then YOUR fav shows.

Grow up.
Join the Last Parade for your anime Salvation
Feb 27, 2021 10:59 PM

Sep 2014
SoldierDream said:
Tell us something we do not know yet...

Bilirubin is conjugated by UDP-glucuronyl transferase in the liver.

Apr 2015
light_straight said:
Tropisch said:

Is it me or people who dislike AoT bring it up all discussions? It's living rent free in their minds....

Yeah whatever dude, it's not like AoT's fans bring up their show whenever they can, and it's my opinion, so.
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
-Atena Saotome 

Dec 2020
think thats basically a widely accepted fact lol /lh i also felt a little underwhelmed while watching it bc of what people have said/hyped over but i havent read the manga yet so i do hope the 2nd season is even better same with the movie
Feb 27, 2021 11:02 PM

Oct 2020
Overrated = It's popular and i don't like it

No one is making KNY to be more than what it is. No one is saying the story is revoulationary or the best of all time , it just so happens that a lot of people like it , so they're going to give a high rating to something they like , isn't that normal? or are you saying they shouldn't like it?
Ikkun_Feb 27, 2021 11:06 PM
Feb 27, 2021 11:07 PM

Dec 2020
Demon slayer is the most overrated anime.Demon Slayer created a whole new dimension of being overrated.
Feb 27, 2021 11:42 PM

Jul 2020
light_straight said:
Scordolo said:

You would be really surprised.
It's an popular opinion on MAL, but not everywhere. I've seen too many people who put it on equal footing as AoT and HxH.

Those are the same people who haven't even seen any of these anime
Ikkun_ said:
Overrated = It's popular and i don't like it

Of course but we can actually provide countless reasons as to why Kny is overrated like Op did.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Feb 27, 2021 11:46 PM

Aug 2018
oh woah demon slayer is overrated? i didn't know that, thanks for the info
Feb 27, 2021 11:53 PM
Jan 2018
Since when were you under impression that people are not already aware of this? It's a battle shounen presented with a dark atmosphere provided you even consider that as dark. It whatever dude, cut the show some slack. It directed towards the general audience, to make revenue. Enjoy the flashy goosebumpy moments and let it go. Scrutinization is a lost cause.
Subjectivity is a joke on MAL. If you implicitly bring in subjectivity in your counter argument, you've already lost the debate. Also this website is a fankid infestation , have pity on those kids by ignoring there quotes as they have absolutely no clue what exactly is going on.
Feb 28, 2021 12:04 AM

Jan 2017
Tasel said:
Overrated is like a badge of honor for an anime.

You know an anime does something right when people are calling it overrated.

I suppose you're right. After all, something can only be "overrated" if it's either commercially and or critically successful, so it's a sign that the product is appealing to some demographic pretty well.
Feb 28, 2021 12:18 AM

May 2019
light_straight said:
Tropisch said:

ikr, i've seen 2 discussions(including this) today that has nothing to do with AoT and there's someone who says like that.
Feb 28, 2021 12:24 AM
May 2019
Oh yes one of those threads again, this anime is overrated that anime is overrated, this anime is shit that anime is shit, Am I the only one who hates this anime or thinks it's Overrated?
Let me tell you a fact just because you didn't like some anime or hated it doesn't mean it's overrated or bad, and it's not that hard to understand why demon slayer is so popular, Being generic does not equal to bad, Despite being generic it is pretty well exceuted and has everything that appeal to the general audience and besides if you don't like shounens why would you even watch it? Doesn't make any sense, just want to make yourself look cool by shitting on popular animes.
Feb 28, 2021 12:33 AM

Dec 2018
Sayali567 said:
Oh yes one of those threads again, this anime is overrated that anime is overrated, this anime is shit that anime is shit, Am I the only one who hates this anime or thinks it's Overrated?
Let me tell you a fact just because you didn't like some anime or hated it doesn't mean it's overrated or bad, and it's not that hard to understand why demon slayer is so popular, Being generic does not equal to bad, Despite being generic it is pretty well exceuted and has everything that appeal to the general audience and besides if you don't like shounens why would you even watch it? Doesn't make any sense, just want to make yourself look cool by shitting on popular animes.

Hear hear~ all hail the voice of reason
Feb 28, 2021 12:46 AM
Jan 2012
Come on man, your actual post seems actually alright, because even if you were posting something that people might disagree with (though apparently not that many, looks like this is apparently the popular opinion here), you didn't seem inflammatory at all and civil discussion was actually possible.

But then you really had to use overrated in the title. Overrated means exactly what it says, you think something is rated too high, which implies you think the people that rated it highly are wrong. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on this one and say you didn't mean it that way, but we're like one step closer to getting rid of "overrated", we don't need to tarnish threads meant for civil discussion with that cursed ass word.
Feb 28, 2021 12:48 AM

Oct 2018
I agree with your point about bad humor, holy crap that shit triggered me. Zenitsu is the worst character in Demon Slayer. I usually dont hate cry babies like Midoriya or Shinji, but Zenitsu actually made me angry. If Zenitsu and Inozuke weren't in Demon Slayer I would higher my rating from a 6 to a 7.

Feb 28, 2021 12:51 AM
Jan 2021
Tropisch said:

Why

AOT is by far the best anime..

What issues do you have with it

Maybe I can clarify
Feb 28, 2021 12:52 AM
Jan 2021
light_straight said:
Tropisch said:

I swear
It's getting too much...and I love AOT way too much to ignore them
Feb 28, 2021 12:55 AM

Jan 2019
it is, and it's a popular opinion, at least around on MAL Forum users
also, this is more of a review, blog than a discussion

I agree with most of what you said
Feb 28, 2021 12:59 AM
Jan 2021
Demon slayer is one of the most overrated shows ever.
Generic plot
Horrible characters
Even the soundtrack isn't memorable
Cringe comedy

The only good thing this show has is good animation
I pray the future seasons are made by studio deen, JC staff or the section from studio perriot who made Kingdom anime

The show should rot and be forgotten
Feb 28, 2021 1:02 AM

May 2020
Tell me something I don't know pwease

Something that’s supposed to die and doesn’t… will eventually rot away , whether it’s a man or a nation
Feb 28, 2021 1:28 AM

Apr 2015
lelouch4britanni said:
Tropisch said:

Why

Maybe I can clarify

Well, to you it's the best anime, and I'm not gonna bother, any time I've mentioned why I dislike AoT it makes AoT fans mad, so don't bother asking me.
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
-Atena Saotome 
Feb 28, 2021 1:31 AM

Sep 2019
Tropisch said:
lelouch4britanni said:

Why

Maybe I can clarify

Well, to you it's the best anime, and I'm not gonna bother, any time I've mentioned why I dislike AoT it makes AoT fans mad, so don't bother asking me.
yeah I know that we had a dangerous fight that day. It was so depressing. Glad you moved on.
"I think I wanted to attack something. Like betraying people or hurting people. And, well, it's not exactly nice, but hurting the readers too... In all honestly, I feel that's what I really wanted to do. For me, as a reader, when I think, "this manga will remain in my heart," it means, for example, it phenomenally hurt me: It's those kinds of experiences I'm after." - Pajime Hisayama (My favourite hurting author).
Feb 28, 2021 1:32 AM

Jan 2021
i've said it before, and i'll say it again. overrated and underrated are very subjective terms, because different people have different opinions.
"不幸だ!" - Kamijou Touma
Check out my anime list by clicking here (it's public now).

Feb 28, 2021 1:32 AM

Sep 2019
lelouch4britanni said:
Generic plot
Horrible characters
Cringe comedy

I pray the future seasons are made by studio deen, JC staff or the section from studio perriot who made Kingdom anime

it has 400 million USD. So forget about its despise.
"I think I wanted to attack something. Like betraying people or hurting people. And, well, it's not exactly nice, but hurting the readers too... In all honestly, I feel that's what I really wanted to do. For me, as a reader, when I think, "this manga will remain in my heart," it means, for example, it phenomenally hurt me: It's those kinds of experiences I'm after." - Pajime Hisayama (My favourite hurting author).
Feb 28, 2021 1:33 AM
Jan 2021
Tropisch said:
lelouch4britanni said:

Why

Maybe I can clarify

na ....I'm not one of those people who cares about another person's opinion to get mad..

After going through your list there is no point....you gave date a live a 10, Sao an 8 , strike the blood a 7 and AOT a 5....now that's irrational hate.
But everyone has their opinion so I won't judge.

As commandant shadis said

You can recognise greatness even when it's in front of you.
Feb 28, 2021 1:36 AM
Jan 2021
Peeti said:
lelouch4britanni said:
Generic plot
Horrible characters
Cringe comedy

Ya I know..it makes a ton of cash...but prayers get answered sometimes
Feb 28, 2021 1:40 AM

Sep 2019
lelouch4britanni said:
Peeti said:

you would need to do intense praying for the failure of demon slayer or some business strategies to make its production down.
Feb 28, 2021 1:46 AM
Jan 2021
Peeti said:
lelouch4britanni said:

you would need to do intense praying for the failure of demon slayer or some business strategies to make its production down.
lmao
Im just joking..I'm even looking forward to watching season 2 for the amazing animation.
Feb 28, 2021 1:51 AM

Apr 2015
lelouch4britanni said:
Tropisch said:

na ....I'm not one of those people who cares about another person's opinion to get mad..

After going through your list there is no point....you gave date a live a 10, Sao an 8 , strike the blood a 7 and AOT a 5....now that's irrational hate.
But everyone has their opinion so I won't judge.

As commandant shadis said

You can recognise greatness even when it's in front of you.

You...literally just judged based of my tastes in anime, yet I didn't bash you for you taste in shows. Not cool. It's not hate that I gave it a 5, I just don't find shounen / action shows interesting, yet you go and look at my list and bash me for it.
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
-Atena Saotome 
Feb 28, 2021 1:52 AM
Sep 2020
tell kny to stop stealing TM's studio haha~
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Gurenge becomes top selling digital single song in Reiwa era

FZREMAKE - Apr 15

17 by ApolloD »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Kimetsu no Yaiba Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 13, 2019

316 by CicadaRex »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » Kimetsu no Yaiba Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 24, 2019

301 by pyrophilia »»
Yesterday, 1:10 AM

Poll: » Kimetsu no Yaiba Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 10, 2019

1094 by pyrophilia »»
Yesterday, 12:26 AM

Poll: » Shinobou or Mitsuri?

Reckless_weeb - Mar 25, 2022

41 by Qui-gon »»
Apr 10, 12:11 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.