Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Feb 25, 2021 8:27 AM

Sep 2019
Cg was ok. I liked the first part but it got boring later on. The segment where they talk about the foods they made between the parts is too long imo. This show would’ve been better if it was half-length. The best thing about this show was HanaKana voicing the main character.
Feb 25, 2021 8:36 AM
May 2016
I love what they're doing with the CGI. It's so simplistic that when it's not moving, you'd almost see a still image

The show itself is also very comfy, with great looking food, nice backgrounds, and relaxed colors
Feb 25, 2021 8:38 AM
Jan 2018
Would have been better if it was 10 or 5 min epiosdes with the dish of the at the end each week instead of it being crammed into one epiosde
Feb 25, 2021 8:40 AM
May 2016
RobertBobert said:
sddsdd said:
As a source reader- expected nothing, still disappointed. Basic CGI and bland directing sap away all of the charm of the manga (and don’t remotely do it’s beautiful art justice) and make it an almost tedious experience, especially because they’re going with full length episodes. And as much as I like Hanakana, she’s a poor fit for Kiyo- it feels like I’m just hearing her talk instead of an actual character’s voice.

Is the animation that bad? I love the original manga, so I've been looking forward to this anime for a long time.

CGI is actually fairly decent. They're going for a stylized, simplistic style which often makes it so that when the characters aren't moving, they actually look 2D

There were several points where I was almost fooled into thinking it was 2D artwork.
Feb 25, 2021 9:57 AM

Apr 2020
the idea is pretty unique but so far it didnt impress me
the first episode was really hard to watch because it was too boring and not interesting
Feb 25, 2021 1:00 PM

Jun 2019
Seems like a decent SOL show.

The Art style is a little different and the CGI is used well. The characters are pretty straightforward and easy to root for. It does seem to be suffering from a lack of energy though, a death sentence for a SOL anime. There is a thin line between relaxing and boring, and many anime like this struggle to keep the viewer interested.

It isn’t boring to me yet, but that is something that will be decided as more episodes come about.
Feb 25, 2021 3:28 PM

Jul 2014
This reminds me when Kono oto tomare anime came out. The anime counterpart, while not bad, just isn't good enough imo to watch. I really enjoy the manga but can't bring myself see how the anime can be as good in the future. Looks like I'll watch a few more episode, but I will most likely pass this by. Also I can't get used to Kiyo's VA :<
Feb 25, 2021 5:23 PM

Aug 2019
when people said this was going to be CG I was expecting something way worse, I legit could barely tell it was CG for the most part so I think I’ll keep watching this since I enjoyed this first episode
Feb 25, 2021 5:59 PM
May 2014
I Love The Opening & Ending song ❤️
And yeah smooth CG
Feb 25, 2021 7:06 PM

Dec 2016
Despite being quite a stacked season, I think I can always include one more show, specially if it's more focused in the relaxation topics and cultural values.

Lets start with the elephant in the room. Yes, both the 2D cuts and the 3DCG are quite barebones in terms of actual motion and at times it feels mostly like a colorized manga with voice dialogues. But speaking in terms of aesthetics the blending of the characters with the backgrounds actually looks okay to good in the highest points of the episode, so that's quite a positive element for the show.

Sumire & Kiyo's interactions although quite warming feels a bit basic. I hope there's more focus on the Maiko culture along with what it might look like 70s Kyoto culture.
Feb 27, 2021 10:38 AM

Jan 2019
The CG is surprisingly good and the visuals of the anime are quite harmonic and beautiful, despite the simplicity. At times it may seem like you're watching a slide show, but I don't care about it at all in the case of a calm and contemplative slice of life like this. I'm glad there is a third relaxing slice of life in the season, along with Non Non Biyori and Yuru Camp. As for the plot, I find the idea of following the lives of these two characters interesting. As for the plot, I like the idea of following the daily lives of this interesting duo of characters in a context I'm not used to. The interactions between the characters are great, and the protagonist has an instant charisma. In general, I really liked the first episode. In addition, the music is great!
"If someone says it's wrong to hope, I'll tell them they're wrong every single time."
Feb 27, 2021 11:48 PM

Oct 2008
a bit of CGI but not bad because it's about good food!

Feb 28, 2021 8:45 AM

Mar 2019
For a first episode where I went blind into it, no PV's, no synopsis, this was really good!
Art style is cool and clean, apparently it's full CG, but that's barely noticeable, the girls are cute, this could be a fun watch!
I really like how it's centered around traditional Japanese aspects, and the fact that it's based in the traditional sector of Kyoto just makes me want to go there so bad!
Mar 3, 2021 2:40 PM

Apr 2018
Well i didn't expect that , the first episode was nice , especially the background art and the colors , even the characters Design wasn't that bad
Mar 4, 2021 12:45 AM
May 2018
This could have been nice, but it actually turns out to be rather boring. They might have avoided this by using the same order of events as the manga, but somehow they went for this jumbled, episodic mess. Especially the food segments between Sumire and Kiyo are way too long, and the sooner they skip those, the better.

I did like the depictions of Kyoto though. I lived in Kyoto for a while, and I perked up every time they showed some locations I used to visit a lot. I almost choked up when they showed the Demachiyanagi stepping stones. So nostalgic!
motormindMar 4, 2021 2:41 AM
Mar 6, 2021 5:02 AM

Aug 2013
Ehh. Why 3D. At least there's almost no animation in this series, so it's bearable because backgrounds are great (animated parts with character movement looks awful).
rsc-plMar 6, 2021 5:09 AM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Mar 6, 2021 10:21 AM

Feb 2019
It was an ok episode.i liked the concept.also the animation isn't bad as i thought it would be
Mar 7, 2021 12:55 PM

Apr 2012
sddsdd said:
RobertBobert said:

Is the animation that bad? I love the original manga, so I've been looking forward to this anime for a long time.

It's less that the CGI is awful (though it's definitely not good, very simple stuff and the character faces look incredibly awkward), moreso that the directing is so utterly bland, it feels like someone wrote up a basic synopsis of the episode and constructed a simple 3D animation based on that. All of the artistry and the atmosphere of the manga is lost.

NG_Chloe said:
RobertBobert said:

CGI is actually fairly decent. They're going for a stylized, simplistic style which often makes it so that when the characters aren't moving, they actually look 2D

There were several points where I was almost fooled into thinking it was 2D artwork.

Sorry to hear that. The original manga really has a very strong plot and development.
Mar 7, 2021 1:29 PM
May 2016
RobertBobert said:
sddsdd said:

It's less that the CGI is awful (though it's definitely not good, very simple stuff and the character faces look incredibly awkward), moreso that the directing is so utterly bland, it feels like someone wrote up a basic synopsis of the episode and constructed a simple 3D animation based on that. All of the artistry and the atmosphere of the manga is lost.

NG_Chloe said:

Sorry to hear that. The original manga really has a very strong plot and development.

I-I didn't mean that as a criticism, I actually think it's a really fun/good design choice
Mar 10, 2021 5:52 AM
Aug 2015
CANALHAS! MALDITOS CANALHAS! Destruíram q ultima esfinge do verdadeiro manga para garotos. Nao contentes em alienar a culinária como alma do diário, da contruçao das relações do manga,ele pegaram suas histórias e separaram da culinária!!! É pior ainda, cortaram importantes capítulos para o desenvolvimento da miko, e portanto, das suas relações com o mundo, e isso se da exatamente por ter cortado o restante da historia, e desmembrado a estrurua interna da história. Vejamos o que vira daqui pra frente, mas o manga para garotos sofreu um forte back.
Mar 14, 2021 4:09 PM

Mar 2012
i like the simplicity of it.
it's a heartwarming slice of life with beautiful visuals. i loved it. <3
interesting that the characters were CGI 'cause i didn't notice it. and i quite like this style actually.
Mar 18, 2021 1:50 PM
Oct 2014
I like the manga but there is no way for it to work as anime.
And the CG instead of orginal 2D style doesn't help.
Mar 24, 2021 12:32 PM
Jan 2021
i think that despite it being cg, the art style is really good. the silhouettes are so simple and recognizable that in some scenes its really hard to tell. i havent read the manga, but so far it seems like just a super chill relax and turn the brain off kinda show

reminds me a little bit of k-on, too, idk why lol
Mar 25, 2021 3:34 PM
Nov 2020
It's nice and relaxing, something perfect to watch for a rainy day. That said, it was a little slow and not engaging enough for me. I'll probably stop at episode 1.
Mar 28, 2021 6:58 PM
Dec 2016
They focus too much in food talk In the manga the food Is just 1 picture explain everything they can skip this stuff there is 190 manga chapters they dont need to add this stuff to the epsoide to make it longer with just food stuff
IxarabxiMar 28, 2021 7:13 PM
Apr 4, 2021 2:42 AM

Aug 2018
Interesting. I was curious to see what it was like and I liked the first chapter. It was nice, yes I will keep watching it. And the opening is catchy and the ending is very nice.
Apr 21, 2021 9:29 PM
Mar 2015
Loved the dish of the day We get to see what Kyo is cooking
Jun 20, 2021 11:27 PM

Mar 2013
Very cute anime. Slow but interesting. You learn about the Maiko lifestyle. I was shocked when they said that their outfits can weigh as much as 20kg. That’s 44lbs. That’s so heavy and they have to look super elegant while wearing them. There’s no way I could wear something that heavy. I’m definitely keeping up with this one. I also really like the art style. The backgrounds and clothes are so detailed.
Oct 7, 2021 4:52 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Really liked this 1st episode actually, it is both interesting and cute, I like the cooking part mixed with the girls interaction and the CGI isn't bad, I find it pretty good to be honest.
Jan 28, 2022 4:22 AM

Jan 2021
Not bad at all. I like the atmosphere and the depictions of Kyoto, Kiyo's cooking part was also fun especially because the food looks good ~

Feb 2, 2022 12:40 AM

Jul 2015
Nice intro to this chill show but I hope we get to see some more in-depth cooking from our cook Kiyo or even perhaps also get to see what a Maiko does.

Apr 24, 2022 5:31 AM

Aug 2021
Kiyo is a very nice girl. How nice to see the types of dishes that are prepared in their respective prefectures in Japan. And a little history of the Maikos.
Apr 24, 2022 5:34 AM

Aug 2021
labradorescence said:
Not bad at all. I like the atmosphere and the depictions of Kyoto, Kiyo's cooking part was also fun especially because the food looks good ~
Kyoto's nightlife scene looks very bohemian.
May 19, 2022 7:32 PM

Sep 2018
I mostly like this so far, but I feel like this should have been released as smaller episodes, it a bit weird feeling the way they are all presented in a single episodes.

Also I do not understand the comments complaining about the "lack of animation" and the 3DCG. To me the first seems like a stylistic choice and not simply cheapening out on animation and it works well. The second is fine as well, it works well within the show and is pretty well done compared to other anime.

Also, I have to wonder now if the whole "debuting" concept that's so prevalent in Japanese pop idol culture but seems weird to me as a westerner as it's not really a thing in western pop stardom originates from Maiko culture.
KristiwazhereMay 19, 2022 8:09 PM
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Maiko-san Chi no Makanai-san Episode 12 Discussion

KANLen09 - Jan 26, 2022

10 by Niveen_Sleem »»
Feb 1, 12:54 PM

» Cooking for the Maiko House’ as Netflix Series Debut live-action adaptation

Ishitateso - Jan 7, 2022

7 by quercifolia »»
Dec 21, 2023 10:13 AM

Poll: » Maiko-san Chi no Makanai-san Episode 2 Discussion

KANLen09 - Mar 24, 2021

23 by Kristiwazhere »»
May 19, 2022 8:17 PM

» Completely Lost

Hubson778 - Apr 18, 2022

18 by Mozai »»
Apr 23, 2022 9:26 PM

» BAD NEWS - It's Full CGI ( 1 2 )

bastek66 - Apr 4, 2020

59 by shintai88 »»
Mar 16, 2022 5:29 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.