Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 24, 2021 3:18 PM

Jun 2019
Which animanga do you feel had a trans character without the usual drawbacks in its writing? ex: (characters being bigoted is seen as a joke, they misgender themselves due to inconsistent writing, etc). In universe bigotry usually doesn't apply unless it's handled really poorly.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Mar 8, 2021 12:13 AM
Jul 2018
the manga bokura no hentai is mostly really good all the way up till chapter 40 where it goes to real shit so i'd recommend reading it but skip that chapter if u want
Mar 28, 2021 8:58 PM

Aug 2019
Definitely Zombieland Saga. The trans character has an important role and gets a really emotional (in a good way) backstory.
May 14, 2021 2:52 PM

Jun 2019
spaesu said:
the manga bokura no hentai is mostly really good all the way up till chapter 40 where it goes to real shit so I'd recommend reading it but skip that chapter if u want

Bokura no hentai is actually a good one that comes to mind to me too, it's one of those mangas that explores all forms of feminine presentation for AMAB children, gay men, coping with trauma, trans girls, without disregarding either of them but acknowledging them all in their own right.

EmiliAv3 said:
Definitely Zombieland Saga. The trans character has an important role and gets a really emotional (in a good way) backstory.

Also another good one! While it doesn't shy away from her she's not the focal point of the entire story? While animanga about trans narratives are nice sometimes it's also refreshing to see it also depicted as something normal and healthy, like with Hoshiai no Sora, where it barely takes up much time but it does treat it with seriousness.
May 14, 2021 3:00 PM

Jun 2019
Personally, Double House and I Wanna Be Your Girl handle it the best in my experience with showing negative aspects without it being grimdark in tone. Wandering Son is always an honorable mention but one of its trans adults tries to cheat on their significant other with a minor as a casual joke. It feels like it just contributes to more predatory stereotypes.

It makes me a little reluctant that Wandering Son is the poster face for it, while good for its time it'd be nice if there are healthier examples and representation in the future.
Jul 25, 2021 12:05 PM
Jul 2021
I really thought that Our Dreams at Dusk (Shimanami Tasogare) did an extremely good job with their trans characters. One’s transmasc and the other’s a kid who’s questioning. I was impressed because, oustide of being trans, they were just people. It wasn’t their whole character, and they had distinct personalities that didn’t hinge on being trans. This manga overall was exemplary LGBTQ rep (sort of to be expected, as the author is asexual and agender themselves). A small warning for this one, there’s a character with a metric fuckton of internalized homophobia that he takes out on the MC (Spoiler: He gets better, don’t worry :D)

Another one is Boys Run the Riot. While I haven’t finished this one (the translation schedules are spotty at best), what I have read was pretty solid. The author pulled off a very realistic portrayal of a young trans boy and his struggles (I am an extremely closeted transmasc myself). The frustration and the trapped feelings are vivid and really hits right in the feels. I highly recommend both of these stories.
Aces-EightsJul 25, 2021 12:27 PM
Jul 26, 2021 8:10 PM

Jun 2019
Yes!! I really hope Kamatani keeps getting traction for their works, not only are they extremely talented with writing LGB(T)+ characters, but they're extremely talented and utilize visual storytelling wonderfully! Shimanami Tasogare is an S+ tier to me because it can discuss finding contentment with oneself and their identity along with addressing common bigotry at the same time and (chefs kiss) but it knows how to balance it. In general, I haven't seen a miss from LGBT+ mangakas, I hope they get more traction.

Boys Run Riot is one I haven't heard of from the thread, so I'm really grateful! While trans fems are the ones who are definitely vulnerable to trans misogyny, I haven't seen trans mascs in media a lot, or in manga in general. Wish you the best of luck with your process with your identity too. :)
May 27, 2022 11:56 AM
Jun 18, 2022 9:50 PM

Jun 2022

Hato, from Genshiken
Jun 22, 2022 5:53 PM

Feb 2022
stars align did a great job with its non binary character i think, although i wish it was explored more!
my candy:
Jul 26, 2022 8:35 PM

Feb 2017
Seconding Stars Align and Bokura no Hentai. And one of my personal favorites is from Fire Punch. Even though that manga is a very grimdark/edgy post apocalypse story, it handles its trans guy character in a pretty nice and sympathetic way. It's definitely on the more tragic unhappy end of the spectrum though.
Aug 29, 2022 3:48 PM
Jul 2018
I know I kinda talking a lot about them lol, but Hange from AoT became one of my most favorite characters in general.
Besides the anime ignores it more or less, but the mangaka said he wanted them to go by all pronouns and being non-binary, and nobody around them views their gender as a joke and the writer doesn't portray them so either.
Normally I don't like how most non-binary characters in anime are written and don't know many outside of it.

From the LGBT-themed manga, I really like Our Dreams at Dusk, Bokura no Hentai and Boys Run the Riot.
Oct 26, 2022 9:05 PM
Feb 2021
I personally loved Love For Who I Am

It's very lighthearted. The main character is non-binary but has no clue what being non-binary means and wants to find people that are like them and will accept them. This leads to some misunderstandings but ends up having the rest of the cast (who work at a crossdressing maid cafe) think about their relationship with gender and sexuality.

There are several transfems in the story, including someone who comes out. And they basically become one big family and support each other in sweet ways.

Sadly I don't remember it having any transmasc representation.

It seemed like other people didn't like the representation in the reviews though.
Jul 21, 2023 3:11 AM
Nov 2019
yuureitou has a really special place in my heart but i’ve got to say double house was amazing as well as kanojo ni naritai kimi to boku. though one i’ll always remember crying for is kono koi ni mirai wa nai.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Trans Anime/Manga Creators

Keizakomu - Sep 4, 2021

10 by gamermed »»
Jan 31, 11:17 AM

» Any specific characters you identitfy yourself with?

Sinankooesa - Feb 17, 2023

6 by Sinankooesa »»
Jul 3, 2023 1:59 AM

» Anitubers/creators?

JKKH - Jun 4, 2023

6 by JKKH »»
Jun 7, 2023 5:10 PM

» Hello

Keizakomu - Feb 10, 2021

8 by removed-user »»
Aug 29, 2022 4:04 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.