Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 24, 2021 12:38 PM
May 2020
Hey, i'm curious about how y'all read manga. I mean like do you buy the actual copy of the book or do you get it online? I'm just curious about how y'all manage to do it. Personally, I like to get the physical copies but its a bit of a pain to wait for a new volume of a series to be printed. But i also like to look at my book shelf of manga volumes i've finished.
Feb 24, 2021 2:05 PM
Jul 2018
*looks back at 4 shelves drowning under manga*
Hmmmm... I think it's safe to say physical xD
I used to read a few online like 10 years ago but when I started buying volumes I completely stopped looking online. Sometime I'll google image a title to see if it looks like something I might be into but that's pretty much it.
Feb 24, 2021 2:51 PM

Jan 2021
I originally read manga by just getting physical copies of it from the library as I've never purchased any physical manga copies. However I am also currently using a free trial of SJ now before having a really cheap subscription of it on my phone so I can access some more manga before wanting to try the subscription. I still get library copies (both physical and digital) because not all manga I want to read is published by SJ. I already have loads of regular books on my bookshelf as it's already having countless double stacks so I'd only be able to get a few copies of physical manga. So I'm voting for kindle/e-reader because of that.
Feb 24, 2021 8:55 PM
May 2020
SebOuiKin said:
I used to read a few online like 10 years ago but when I started buying volumes I completely stopped looking online. Sometime I'll google image a title to see if it looks like something I might be into but that's pretty much it.

Haha, My shelf has just gone into the second teir, the collection is growing!

Bibliophile715 said:
I originally read manga by just getting physical copies of it from the library as I've never purchased any physical manga copies. However I am also currently using a free trial of SJ now before having a really cheap subscription of it on my phone so I can access some more manga before wanting to try the subscription. I still get library copies (both physical and digital) because not all manga I want to read is published by SJ. I already have loads of regular books on my bookshelf as it's already having countless double stacks so I'd only be able to get a few copies of physical manga. So I'm voting for kindle/e-reader because of that.

Honestly this seems like the best approach. During the summer, i would go the the library all day and just read manga. It's free and convient. Ppl really overlook the library. Altho i do kinda wanna get the SJ+ subscription bc im tired of waiting for the volumes to print, plus its super cheap.
Feb 24, 2021 9:40 PM

Feb 2020
Online, physical, library
Feb 24, 2021 9:40 PM

Feb 2020
Retro_R said:
SebOuiKin said:

Bibliophile715 said:

Honestly this seems like the best approach. During the summer, i would go the the library all day and just read manga. It's free and convient. Ppl really overlook the library. Altho i do kinda wanna get the SJ+ subscription bc im tired of waiting for the volumes to print, plus its super cheap.

Oh maaaan you're making me want to go to my local library now and spend hours there reading the manga
Feb 25, 2021 6:49 AM
May 2020
metropyramid said:
Retro_R said:

Oh maaaan you're making me want to go to my local library now and spend hours there reading the manga

I wanna go to but my library is closed to the public rn for covid, they're only doin curbside. Altho ig you can go to barnes and noble and just read the books without buying them, thats what i've done before, its saved me a bit of money, and space and stuff. As long as u don't like damage the book or something like that, i think it's fine. I just wish my librarys selection was a bit more open. This may be a bit dark, but when i die, i want all of my manga to go my local library so others can enjoy it for free.
Feb 25, 2021 6:50 AM

Oct 2019
I just read online on websites, for example readsnk.com is good. There's a ton of those "read" url websites, I don't know what the parent website is but it's high quality and they have official translations too. I recommend reading Berserk there too.
Feb 25, 2021 6:50 AM

Feb 2018
E reader, because more comfortable on smartphone
Feb 25, 2021 6:53 AM

Nov 2019
I prefer buying physical copies, I find reading manga very difficult on a screen. But sadly not every manga can be bought so I read those online.

死神

What do you think are the most important things in life? Money, dreams, sympathy towards others...

Yes, they're all important things as well... But the most important thing is responsibility for your own actions.
- Yuichi
Feb 25, 2021 6:55 AM
May 2020
AcbSnakeDemon said:
I just read online on websites, for example readsnk.com is good. There's a ton of those "read" url websites, I don't know what the parent website is but it's high quality and they have official translations too. I recommend reading Berserk there too.

That seems convient, but like i dont wanna like steal from artist that're already mistreated but thank you.

Feb 27, 2021 11:34 AM

May 2013
I used to buy physical copies of everything, but it was a pain in the ass and expensive af. Nowadays I just read online and buy my faves physically when/if they come out where I live.
Feb 27, 2021 12:59 PM

Aug 2010
I combine several methods. Mostly I buy physical copies, some I have digital. I also have several series I borrow from library.
Feb 27, 2021 3:20 PM

Jul 2020
i read it online, but once i got my own money i'll probably buy the actual book
𝘸𝘩𝘢𝘵'𝘴 𝘮𝘪𝘴𝘴𝘪𝘯𝘨

Feb 27, 2021 6:01 PM
Dec 2017
physical copies and also the free to read online sites.

Feb 27, 2021 6:21 PM

Nov 2020
I read online for most of my stuff but I do collect the physical copy of the manga that I really like.
If there's a hole there's a goal-Master Oogway
Feb 27, 2021 6:30 PM

Oct 2014
I usually read from my tablet on Tachiyomi and MangaDex. Holding the actual volumes in your hands is best though.

I have a sizeable manga collection that I admittedly haven't read most of. Plan to change that eventually.
Feb 28, 2021 4:40 AM

Aug 2017
I'm starting to read a new manga online, because I don't want to put money on something I'm not going to like,
when I'm sure to like this series and to be attached to it like snk, blue exorcist or jjk I buy the tomes in real life.
Feb 28, 2021 4:53 AM

Oct 2019
I use... certain *sketchy* methods.
Feb 28, 2021 5:53 AM

Mar 2012
I have bought physical copies in the past but shipping is expensive and I don't know what to do with them after I ended up hating the series so I prefer digital now.

I buy digital copies from Japanese sites like booklive, some are available for free on sites like pixiv comics, ComicWalker or Manga Toshokan Z. I also pirate quite a bit if it's too expensive to buy all volumes.
Feb 28, 2021 6:53 AM
Jul 2018
SJ+ ?? Shonen Jump? I just use free websites and apps
Feb 28, 2021 7:09 AM
Isekai Trucker

Oct 2015
I start reading online to begin with it. If it's a good manga, I buy the release printed volumes (if it's translated). Otherwise, I continue to read online.
I figured that I should just buy any new manga printed when I've finished those I'm currently reading online. Basically, I'm not going to read any new manga more online.
Today, I may be a weak little bug that gets tossed in the wind,
washed away by the currents, and drowns, but tomorrow,
I may become the butterfly that spreads its colossal wings and flies the open skies!

~ Oe Kintaro
Mar 3, 2021 11:58 PM

Apr 2020
I have some physical copies, but i mostly just read via apps and websites. I've started reading raw manga but damn that shit is hard to find. I'd absolutely love to support mangaka and pay money but i'm just a poor student :(
Mar 4, 2021 4:20 PM

Aug 2020
I used to go to the library and get physical volumes but now in the pandemic I read online :(
Mar 5, 2021 9:16 AM

May 2020
it really depends a lot of the time ill try and get the actual copy but sometimes i would read it online kind of like how i had to read jojos part 6 threw 8 online because they don't have the English copies out
Mar 5, 2021 9:34 AM
Jul 2018
Mangadex on pc, and Tachiyomi on mobile.
Mar 5, 2021 10:53 AM

Aug 2020
Online and only online, its better so you dont have to spend money.

♥️ 𝓐𝓷𝓲𝓶𝓮 𝓵𝓲𝓼𝓽 ♥️

“𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓵𝓸𝓿𝓮𝓵𝔂 𝓪𝓷𝓰𝓮𝓵 𝓸𝓯 𝓻𝓸𝓶𝓪𝓷𝓬𝓮, 𝓣𝓪𝓲𝓰𝓪, 𝔀𝓲𝓵𝓵 𝓵𝓮𝓷𝓭 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓱𝓮𝓻 𝓪𝓲𝓭.” – 𝓣𝓪𝓲𝓰𝓪 𝓐𝓲𝓼𝓪𝓴𝓪

Mar 5, 2021 10:54 AM

May 2020
I read online and then if I enjoyed reading it I'll go and buy the physical copy so I can reread it again.
Mar 8, 2021 1:40 AM

Apr 2017
I don't know Japanese and a lot of the manga I read haven't been licensed in English, so I read online.

I have bought a few I really liked (that were licensed), though.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

373 by Yuki135 »»
3 hours ago

» PINK BANANA is coming! The first English language book of its kind which collects some of the weirdest and most obscure manga of the 60s and 70s.

showashowcase - Apr 2

1 by St0rmblade »»
5 hours ago

» Manga Wisdom for the Ages ( 1 2 )

Nekoburger - Aug 9, 2023

50 by Nekoburger »»
5 hours ago

» How many chapters do you read a month?

Rissio - Apr 4

19 by LordZirkaZero »»
6 hours ago

» How long does it take you to read a LN volume?

Maou_heika - Feb 8

19 by Narushisto »»
6 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.