Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 23, 2021 12:07 AM
Jul 2018
I personally prefer subbed over dubbed and I'm not sure why.
But I'm interested in what others prefer.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 23, 2021 12:09 AM

Aug 2019
for me I prefer sub, because English VAs suck at making their voices high pitched so in almost shows that have little kids in them they sound extremely weird but that's just one of my gripes with dub

like check this out and tell me she doesn't sound like a 20 year old

and then with sub she actually sounds like a kid

well regardless it's all personal preference so it really doesn't matter if you perfer sub or dub
snowykevinFeb 23, 2021 12:17 AM
Feb 23, 2021 12:11 AM

Aug 2015
I prefer subs but usually watch dubbed so I could do other things while watching
Feb 23, 2021 12:13 AM
Jul 2018
I actually liked dubbed because then I can do other things while I'm watching, but obv I'm not paying as much attention then.
Feb 23, 2021 12:14 AM
Jul 2018
snowykevin said:
for me I prefer sub, because English VAs suck at loli voices so in almost all slice of life shows that have little kids in them they sound extremely weird but that's just one of my gripes with dub

She sounds a little bit older than she looks
Feb 23, 2021 12:18 AM

Jan 2020
I watch mostly sub, but I've watched like 35-40% of my anime dubbed. I'm of the opinion most dubs have been good since the mid 2000's, and def these days nearly every dub is good. We're thankfully not living in the days of 4kids dubbing anymore.
*generic image of favorite characters with a sappy quote or "aesthetics"*

Mecha Anime/Manga/VN Tier List

Anime/Manga/VN Tier List
Feb 23, 2021 12:33 AM

Feb 2019
I prefer sub. Why?
Because they are 10000% times better than dub which has unrealistic voice acting
Feb 23, 2021 12:38 AM

Aug 2009
Sub for some, but dub for most, especially if the dub is like Ghost Stories.

Feb 23, 2021 12:41 AM

Jun 2019
I prefer sub because of originality and powerful voice acting. It's my opinion but I think if you want to understand a character you should watch the sub because the original voice has a personality based on that character...
Feb 23, 2021 12:42 AM

Oct 2020
subbed better i guess character limit
Feb 23, 2021 12:42 AM

Mar 2018
Dub guy here! I prefer them because of ~audio processing issues~. It's a lot harder for me to read anything when anyone's talking, so subs require a lot of focus. That doesn't mean I don't watch subs, I still do if there's either no dub or if I just. really dislike the dub. But if there's a dub available and I don't absolutely hate it (only had that happen a couple times), I'll probably go for that instead.
Feb 23, 2021 12:43 AM
Oct 2020
Sakuta002766 said:
I prefer sub. Why?
Because they are 10000% times better than dub which has unrealistic voice acting

The Japanese spoken in the subbed version is also "unrealistic". People who have seen normal Japanese folk speak would pick up on that but I guess for international fans it would seem the voice acting wouldn't stand out compared to the English dub versions where the viewer is already aware of how the language is spoken usually.
Feb 23, 2021 12:52 AM

Feb 2021
I prefer german dub over sub, as it feels kind of nostalgic to me. But I do watch more anime in sub, as not every series has a dub for it.
In terms of quality, sub is superior almost always. I still prefer to watch some anime in german dub.

⸢ if you meet your god,
tell him to leave me alone. ⸥

ベルセルク
Feb 23, 2021 12:52 AM

Jan 2021
simply both it depends on the show if its like cowboy bebop then dub but some shows are just better sub and some are better dub
Feb 23, 2021 12:56 AM

Feb 2021
I hate subs (they're so annoying and distracting) but I watch EVERY anime in Japanese with subs 'cause the original Japanese dubbing and voice acting is so amazing and compelling that nothing can compare with it.

Any "foreign" dub, even if well done, seems so "unatural" to me, it significantly alters the original "tone", the original "register" of the anime.
Feb 23, 2021 1:16 AM

Oct 2020
Sub, I prefer watching anime in its original form. Dubs in anime sometimes change the meaning of words in their translation to sync with the mouth movement and that the voice sounds unnatural and has less emotions to me.
Feb 23, 2021 1:24 AM

May 2009
I usually try out the dub first if it's available. If there is a dub available, I usually end up watching that version, though I switch to the subs occasionally. In a couple instances I switched from sub to dub.

If you're talking about orange-haired girl, then she looks like an adult anyway. (And generally speaking, I never really liked the really squeaky high-pitched voices used for teen girls/adult women that much anyway.)

If you're talking about bird blond-haired girl, she...sounds vaguely like a child I guess?
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Feb 23, 2021 1:35 AM

Dec 2018
Subs because it's more convenient since I'm not a native English speaker
Stuff in the streets, Stuff with drip in the sheets
Feb 23, 2021 1:37 AM

Aug 2017
I prefer sub but I don't have problem watching dub especially English dub.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Feb 23, 2021 1:40 AM

Dec 2020
Sub 99% time because I'm still learning Japanese, and I can't wait for dub to release for newer anime.
Feb 23, 2021 1:46 AM
Feb 2021
Sub for sure. I tried watching dub as well, but it doesn't sit well with me. The emotions from the voice actors don't feel right.
Feb 23, 2021 1:49 AM

Feb 2020
99% subbed except for Cowbow Bebop, Death Note, Digimon Data Squad and The Moomins (Finnish)
SerafosFeb 23, 2021 2:00 AM
Feb 23, 2021 1:52 AM
Nov 2020
Well it really depend on the anime and the dub team.
Sometimes anime have a lot of like fight scenes and fast paced action and talking (KILL LA KILL for example) i cant keep up with the animation and choose dub over sub.
On the other hand some of them are ironic and ENG VA suit them even better than the JA one (A Silent Voice).
So go ahead and hear them both.
I like Sub in short :)
Feb 23, 2021 2:15 AM

Dec 2018
I prefer watching subbed, very rarely will I watch dubbed unless its with my younger sister. Something about the dead energy in the dubbed voices as opposed to the very lively tone and emotion in sub does it for me. It adds more to the characters rather than them sounding dull and boring ¯\_()_/¯
Feb 23, 2021 2:36 AM

Mar 2018
I actually really enjoy most dubs I've seen, but I watch most shows in sub for the first time because I want to experience the authentic language, and because I'm so used to it. But I usually rewatch shows in dub to experience it in a new way.

"~and he loved to play the piano!"

Feb 23, 2021 3:29 AM
Sep 2017
I prefer sub, it's actually how I learned a lot of English when I moved to the UK was by watching a ridiculous amount of subbed anime and picking up new vocabulary and it improved my reading speed lol

I don't hate dubs tho, I still maintain that Ouran High School Host Club has one of my favourite dubs of all time. I think sometimes I'm not fussed on casting choices in certain dubs? What might've really soured my taste for dubs tho is likely when I first got properly into anime watching Mew Mew Power (4kids dub) where it ended half way through, went and watched the next episode in sub because it was the only option and was so confused I had to watch the whole show again in sub (Tokyo Mew Mew), discovering why 4kids dropped it cus they changed the plot so hard they wrote themselves in a corner they couldn't escape from.

Recent dubs have been pretty good, I just prefer sub at this point personally.
Feb 23, 2021 5:30 AM

Jul 2020
If the dub is really good or just as good as the sub, I'd watch the dub. If the sub sounds better or there just is no dub, I'd watch the sub. I don't really prefer either, I don't want to prefer either so I can watch and enjoy both with no biases.
I gave up on character of the week since it takes too much thinking. I'll just change my forum pfp to whoever I want every week lol.
Feb 23, 2021 5:37 AM

Feb 2018
Sub is generally superior. Most dubs are trash

Feb 23, 2021 5:42 AM

Jul 2013
oh no another sub vs dub debate. Let's all kick the dead horse again.

The truth of the matter is that they're both trash, learn Japanese and watch it like how it was meant to be watched
I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Feb 23, 2021 7:02 AM
Elder Emo

Jan 2013
I can't deny it, but sometimes I do like to be a little bit of an anime elitist. However, I don't have any of those feelings towards a preference of sub or dub.

As someone who doesn't know how to speak Japanese, it is really hard for me to distinguish when a Japanese VA is bad or annoying. Since I am an English speaker, it's way easier for me to be irked by an English speaking VA. So there have definitely been times where I switched from dub to sub because I couldn't stand a particular VA anymore.

Generally though, if the dub is good I will opt for that option first. Mainly because I like something on while I work from home or am playing a game, so I really can't be reading subtitles during that anyway. In any other scenario (ie. there is no dub, the dub is behind or unavailable on whatever streaming service I'm using, the dub is bad, etc), I have no problem switching to the sub. There are a few series that I get really invested in as well, and will watch the sub regardless because it forces me to pay more attention.
Feb 23, 2021 7:06 AM

Apr 2019
Neither... as ol'dirty b*tard once said

Ooh, baby, I like it raw
Yeah, baby, I like it raw
Ooh, baby, I like it raw
Yeah, baby, I like it raw
Bleach is best consumed with your ears open and your eyes closed.
Feb 23, 2021 7:34 AM

Dec 2020
sub. dub voices usually come off rly "eh" ? like they didn't rly match how i view the character and stuff
Feb 23, 2021 9:27 AM
Feb 2021
Subbed, imagine listen to Silver Stallone or Arnold Schwarzenegger with a Spanish or Chinese voice actor, you just lost all the original feeling and the voice acting, there are some good dubbed animes but it's better learn the language or read the subtitles.
Feb 23, 2021 9:29 AM

Aug 2015
Subbed for sure. I can only think of about 2 or 3 animes we're I thought the dub was good.
Feb 23, 2021 1:23 PM

Dec 2020
I prefer sub but some dubs are actually quite good, like Black lagoon, cowboy bebop etc. I usually look up voice comparison videos whenever people recommend whether it be sub or dub and see for myself which one is better to watch with.
Feb 23, 2021 1:25 PM

Jan 2021
I actually have a ranking of what language I like to watch anime in:

1. Japanese
2. English
3. Any other language
4. Alien language
5. Dutch
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Feb 23, 2021 1:56 PM

Apr 2015
Both? There are anime that I like more with subs and some anime that I like more with dub.
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Feb 23, 2021 2:11 PM

Jul 2019
I prefer sub. But I often find that many shows that are more western-like tends to have better or at least equal quality dub. Shows like Cowboy Bebop, Black Lagoon and Redline. Then there are shows that are better in dub, not necessarily for the talent of the voice actors themselves, but the script being changed. Yu Yu Hakusho is a perfect example of this. The sub's script is so bland in comparison to the dub which actually gives the characters a lot more personality.

But like I said, I prefer sub simply because the voice acting industry is A LOT bigger in Japan, so the quality and diversity of the voice actors tends to be much higher than in the west. In the west they just slap Bryce Papenbrook onto every single shounen MC in existence, regardless if it fits or not. I mean this guy plays Eren, Kirito, Shirou, Meliodas and so on and so forth.
Subarashii
Feb 23, 2021 2:54 PM

Sep 2012
Digimon, Pokemon, Beyblade, and Yugioh - Dubbed

Anything else anime - Subbed

Ps. Naruto and Bleach have ok dubs.
Feb 23, 2021 2:57 PM

Jan 2021
For me, I always prefer to watch dub over sub but I usually look up who's in the dub cast. If I see anyone from the Persona 5 cast is dubbing an anime character, I'd usually watch it in a heartbeat. The cast in P5 are prolific anime dub actors and actresses are just about in everything and I loved their performances so much from Perosona 5 that I will literally watch anything with them in it. However, there are dubs that I have tried where the sub is clearly better. One example that comes to mind is Kaguya Sama, because the timing and expressionistic like tones for the comedy to land is perfected by the Japanese performances in my opinion. To each their own though it's all just personal preference.
Feb 23, 2021 2:59 PM

Nov 2017
Both. If the anime is dubbed than I'll watch the dub and if it isn't than I'll watch sub
"he has it big as a cactus
but he won't let go of my head
and I puke on his cock bitch" - Boy by Fishball 
Feb 23, 2021 3:18 PM

Aug 2020
sub for some reason, idk japanese voices just sound way better than english voice almost unrealistic

♥️ 𝓐𝓷𝓲𝓶𝓮 𝓵𝓲𝓼𝓽 ♥️

“𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓵𝓸𝓿𝓮𝓵𝔂 𝓪𝓷𝓰𝓮𝓵 𝓸𝓯 𝓻𝓸𝓶𝓪𝓷𝓬𝓮, 𝓣𝓪𝓲𝓰𝓪, 𝔀𝓲𝓵𝓵 𝓵𝓮𝓷𝓭 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓱𝓮𝓻 𝓪𝓲𝓭.” – 𝓣𝓪𝓲𝓰𝓪 𝓐𝓲𝓼𝓪𝓴𝓪

Feb 23, 2021 3:20 PM

Mar 2018
most dubs sound like fucking ass so I usually watch sub
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 23, 2021 3:22 PM

Oct 2017
I prefer sub and it bothers me when there are shows only legally available dub only in my region. I wanna watch Beyblade and Digimon with official subs in high quality goddamit. At least the Beyblade dub has killer openings
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.
Feb 23, 2021 3:28 PM

Jan 2019
Sub. I like to watch everything as it was originally produced, so if I'll watch a movie or an anime I always choose subbed.
Feb 23, 2021 3:35 PM

Jan 2021
i've rarely watched a show in dub, unless its ghost stories, or something i watched as a kid.
"不幸だ!" - Kamijou Touma
Check out my anime list by clicking here (it's public now).

Feb 23, 2021 3:43 PM
Jul 2018
Lately I've been watching a lot of sub. But I am always open to dub.
Feb 23, 2021 3:57 PM

Nov 2015
BOTH.
Dub can be great. So on rewatch, I tend to go with that so I don't have any bias.
Feb 23, 2021 4:13 PM

Dec 2018
i honestly prefer dubs cuz of my crippling adhd lmao. i try to tolerate the english dub if it's bad, but i do have my limit with bad va and when crossed, i watch the sub instead and try my best to focus.
*burps*  [font="\"Proxima Nova Regular\", \"Helvetica Neue\", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"][/font]
Feb 23, 2021 4:29 PM

Jun 2008
Subs, because when I was first getting heavily into anime, many of my favorite shows had no English dub so I had to watch it in Japanese. I've just grown accustomed to reading subs over the years.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Does your first ever favourite anime(s) still holds a place in your favs?

NubFix - 7 hours ago

28 by tchitchouan »»
1 minute ago

» Please recommend anime that has plot/tone sci-fi + fantasy?

Donkunsan - 10 hours ago

10 by Zettaiken »»
5 minutes ago

» Muskoku Tensei is the antithesis of Evangelion ( 1 2 )

ShuisBased2 - Jan 15

63 by inim »»
8 minutes ago

» What anime do a lot of people consider to be one of the greatest that you think is just good? ( 1 2 )

arinthach - Yesterday

52 by Maroonedisback »»
13 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

71 by KeyiOs »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.