Forum Settings
Forums
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Post New Reply
Feb 22, 11:35 AM
The title is pretty self-explanatory, name an anime relationship that just should not be a thing. Whether its manipulative, unhealthy ur just straight up toxic, theres a lot of pretty bad relationshops an anime: Misa and Light (Death Note) Yuno and Jukiteru (Mirai nikki)...the list goes on.
What relationship in anime do you think is just horrible and destructive?

Feb 22, 11:37 AM

The Kirito x Asuna relationship made no sense to me. There was no build-up whatsoever. It's not really toxic though.

I'd consider Yuno x Yuki from Mirai Niki to be a toxic relationship...

"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Feb 22, 11:39 AM

It was long ago since I watch it, but as far as I remember every single relationship in Peach Girl was unbearable to watch.

Feb 22, 11:40 AM

Sakura and sasuke cuz theyve tried to kill eachother 40598459045884 times, they dont talk unless its about sadara or naruto, and yeah he prolly only got with her to restore his clan- yikes.

Reunthal and that girl (i forgot her name)from logh because their whole relationship is just hate-sex lmao
Modified by Kenzolo-folk, Feb 22, 11:46 AM

Si tu vois Angelicism, elle est mon amie <3 Et je l'aime pour sa beauté

Feb 22, 11:43 AM

Nana and Takumi (Nana). The reason they started a relationship in the first place was already bad enough. Takumi is an asshole and a cheater.

Tsukasa and Makino (Hana Yori Dango). Both too immature. The dude is an ass and the girl allows too much.

Erika and Kyoya (Wolf girl and black prince). The guy treats her like shit and she just allows it. Not good.

Literally every "relationship" in Diabolik Lovers. I don't think I need to explain this one.

┍━━━━━━━━»•» ☽ ☾ «•«━━━━━━━━┑
If you stare at the stars long enough,
you start thinking you could grab one,
and you get this feeling like...

...all your dreams will come true.
┕━━━━━━━━»•» ☽ ☾ «•«━━━━━━━━┙

Feb 22, 11:44 AM

By toxic relationship
All i can think of the relationship between sakura and sasuke
Also the relationship between Ougi and Villetta from code geass
Modified by Sakuta002766, Feb 22, 11:49 AM

Feb 22, 11:46 AM

Like all of them in Netsuzou Trap and Redo of Healer. Actually, every single yuri relationship that isn't Bloom Into You is toxic smh.

Feb 22, 11:50 AM

Most severe Tsundere relationships are pretty toxic in my eyes. I dont think everyone sees it that way but if a male character was constantly beating down a female love interest it would I think by some be seen differently. Either way I see them as toxic.

Taiga and Ryuuji - Toradora
Louise and Saito - Familiar of Zero

Examples. They might end up okay but the relationship getting there to me is awful and there is a lot of excessive violence. I get its for comedy most of the time but it always seems like too much to me.

Another one with whack relationships is School Days.

Feb 22, 12:02 PM

I'll take "All of School Days" for 500$, Alex

Feb 22, 12:19 PM

Kosei and Kaori from Your Lie in April. It wasn't toxic toxic but it did feel like it would have worked so much better for the both of them to just be friends.

I don't need to see Diablok Lovers (I watched a game introduction of the characters) to know none of the male characters were remotely likeable and would make TERRIBLE boyfriends.

Most animated yaois. due to the usually abusive nature of one half of the couple. Super Lovers stands out
Modified by UberBat, Feb 22, 12:31 PM

Feb 22, 2:33 PM

Trvshy said:

Literally every "relationship" in Diabolik Lovers. I don't think I need to explain this one.

I like to call Diabolik Lovers by the name Diabolik Wifebeaters. All jokes aside, I can’t get over the fact that people actually defend the toxicity because of the “sad backstories uwu” like uh no Kanato being abused by his mom or whatever doesn’t justify him stabbing the heroine with a fork or Ayato constantly beating up and berating the heroine. It’s especially ridiculous because people only defend it because the guys are attractive and in fact 95% of toxic relationships in anime are defended just because the toxic person in the relationship is “uwu hot”. Btw I love how in all the games for Diabolik Lovers you get bad endings for choosing to talk back or defend yourself all route which is what NORMAL PEOPLE WOULD DO.

Anyway unto my own adding to OP’s post:

Other than Sasuke and Sakura which I’m not gonna get into because other people already have, a relationship I find really toxic and manipulative and is the girl that had a relationship with the teacher from Card Captor Sakura (I think their names were Rika and Terada)? I never saw an issue with it as a kid and I found it in fact sweet but now as an adult I’m just like wtf...It’s a whole teacher that was engaged to a 4th grader. And can y’all believe there’s people that defend this?

Another is Sesshomaru and Rin...just why. Made one of the most badass characters into a whole creep/ruined all his character development and instead of having Rin be a whole cool grown up that maybe takes in orphans of her own or a youkai hunter...becomes a child bride. And people defend this.

Honestly now that I think about it, people defending toxic ships to death might be worse than the actual toxic ships existing.
Modified by Osumare, Feb 22, 2:54 PM
"Let's say, hypothetically, you've been a bad girl with a wet ass p-word."
(PREVIOUSLY KNOWN AS Astrariya.)

Feb 22, 2:38 PM

Feb 22, 2:39 PM
Most relationships involving tsunderes are toxic. I know some people find them cute I see the appeal, but damn some of those tsundere characters are just straight up abusive. Asuka from NGE is a great example.
Sasuke x sakura is definitely a toxic relationship their whole relationship was forced..

Feb 22, 2:43 PM

taiga x ryuuji should not be a thing, no sane dude would fall in love with that thing
"Even if there's a wide world and stories
beyond the main focus, I don't think
it's necessary to end with the protagonist having
been involved in everything." - Yagi Norihiro

Houseki no Kuni Club

My random anime ramblings blog on MAL

Feb 22, 2:44 PM
Another is Sesshomaru and Rin...just why.[/quote]

Yeah their relationship was just wrong to Me.. Sesshomaru practically raised her and they get together??
I've seen this trope in other anime. Older guy raises young girl and acts as a father figure or older brother figure and when she's of age they start a relationship.. Why..
Bunny Drop did the same shit

Feb 22, 2:48 PM

Kenzolo-folk said:
Sakura and sasuke cuz theyve tried to kill eachother 40598459045884 times, they dont talk unless its about sadara or naruto, and yeah he prolly only got with her to restore his clan- yikes.
Some of the most shoehorned romance I've ever seen

Feb 22, 2:49 PM

Osumare said:
Trvshy said:

I like to call Diabolik Lovers by the name Diabolik Wifebeaters. All jokes aside, I can’t get over the fact that people actually defend the toxicity because of the “sad backstories uwu” like uh no Kanato being abused by his mom or whatever doesn’t justify him stabbing the heroine with a fork or Ayato constantly beating up and berating the heroine. It’s especially ridiculous because people only defend it because the guys are attractive and in fact 95% of toxic relationships in anime are defended just because the toxic person in the relationship is “uwu hot”. Btw I love how in all the games for Diabolik Lovers you get bad endings for choosing to talk back or defend yourself all route which is what NORMAL PEOPLE WOULD DO.

Faxxx tho, totally agreed. Also, Diabolik Wifebeaters made me laugh ngl, cuz ITS TRUE. And I didn't even know this about the games. Wtf, that's legit fucked up. Very concerning, because young people be playing those games. Same with the anime. Fuck that show.

Feb 22, 2:53 PM

Jaeger_bomb said:
”Another is Sesshomaru and Rin...just why.”
Yeah their relationship was just wrong to Me.. Sesshomaru practically raised her and they get together??
I've seen this trope in other anime. Older guy raises young girl and acts as a father figure or older brother figure and when she's of age they start a relationship.. Why..

1. When I found out Sesshomaru and Rin was canon I was just like “wtf”. Ignoring how OOC it would be for Sesshomaru to pull a whole Usagi Drop (which I’m gonna go into), it’s like...what? Why? And the fact that people defend this makes it worse.

2. Oh god Usagi Drop...you reminded me of the other creepy “let’s raise a kid to save her from the life of an orphan then bed her” ship. That was disgusting. He literally raised the girl since she was 6 and then they end up together when she’s 16/17. He was changing bedsheets she wetted on when she was 6, combing her hair, and sending her to nursery school and then later on decides to have her as a child bride.

Honestly I can’t stand how in relationships like SessRin and Usagi Drop they basically have orphans finally given a chance in life to live it to their choosing...and the “choosing” is being with a former/current guardian lmao wtf. Like it ruins the point of adult men changing themselves for the better to be fill in dads/brothers/guardians for little girls and ensure that said little girls can have a chance of a better life instead of wandering their days alone and scared.

Sesshomaru was my favorite male character from Inuyasha and now I just can’t look at him the same anymore they completely character assassinated him.
Modified by Osumare, Feb 22, 2:56 PM

Feb 22, 3:12 PM

Trvshy said:
Tsukasa and Makino (Hana Yori Dango). Both too immature. The dude is an ass and the girl allows too much.

UberBat said:
Kosei and Kaori from Your Lie in April. It wasn't toxic toxic but it did feel like it would have worked so much better for the both of them to just be friends.

These were quite literally the first relationships that came to mind, although I think you put it far too mildly:

1) Hana Yori Dango (Boys Over Flowers) - Not only does Tsukasa arrange for Makino to be assaulted, tortured, kidnapped and even nearly murdered, but he beats her on several occasions himself by the time she finally succumbs to Stockholm Syndrome... and this doesn't even include the rape attempts or the time she got dragged behind a car.

2) Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso (Your Lie in April) - Considering the fact that Kaori purposely forced Kousei to relive traumatic experiences because she wanted him to play piano for her, berated him whenever he did anything she didn't like and led him on with mixed signals as she was dating his best friend, I would say "toxic" is a perfect adjective for their relationship.

Aside from these two, I would include any relationship in 'Guilty Crown' that involves Inori, the mascot/trophy of Funeral Parlor. Just fucking gross...

Feb 22, 3:14 PM

Agree with Sesshomaru/Rin. Honestly, wtf? I would've sooner preferred a total rando than have him get together with someone he raised from the time she was little... wtf...
Even Inuyasha/Kagome wasn't that great. They spend more of their time arguing than anything else.

On a similar note to Sesshomaru/Rin and Usagi Drop, "If It's for My Daughter I'd Even Defeat a Demon Lord"... The title literally calls her his daughter ffs.

Anything with incest or adults getting together with children/people who they literally raised.

Feb 22, 3:20 PM

simplydru said:
Trvshy said:

These were quite literally the first relationships that came to mind, although I think you put it far too mildly:

1) Hana Yori Dango (Boys Over Flowers) - Not only does Tsukasa arrange for Makino to be assaulted, tortured, kidnapped and even nearly murdered, but he beats her on several occasions himself by the time she finally succumbs to Stockholm Syndrome... and this doesn't even include the rape attempts or the time she got dragged behind a car.

It's been some time since I binged the manga and I forgot a lot. But woah, thanks for the reminder... I did put it too mildly, but I also didn't want to get too much into detail in case I spoiled someone. Old shoujo manga do be pretty problematic tho eh.

Feb 22, 4:31 PM

Kira Yamato and Fllay Allstar. She litterally wanted him to fight and fight until he died because she is racist...

Shinn Asuka and Lunamaria Hawke. There is no build up. He literally almost killed her in one battle. Right before they got together, she was into another dude lmao.

Bara_no_Uta said:
Agree with Sesshomaru/Rin. Honestly, wtf? I would've sooner preferred a total rando than have him get together with someone he raised from the time she was little... wtf...

Osumare said:
When I found out Sesshomaru and Rin was canon I was just like “wtf”. Ignoring how OOC it would be for Sesshomaru to pull a whole Usagi Drop (which I’m gonna go into), it’s like...what? Why? And the fact that people defend this makes it worse.

Jaeger_bomb said:

I actually agree strongly with this. But since Takahashi didn't write the sequel, at least I can pretend it's just really bad fanfiction by one of the anime's original staff.
Modified by S5-Astraea, Feb 22, 4:36 PM
There's no inherent right or wrong in this universe, but when we think with emotions rather than logic, we make things so.

Feb 22, 5:21 PM

aku no hana. if you deem blackmail as a toxic relationship. i actually love the anime even though they abandoned a S2

Feb 22, 5:31 PM

simplydru said:

UberBat said:

Whilst her actions were questionable I don't think Kaori did them maliciously so I was being a bit generous in my assessment

Feb 22, 5:36 PM

I don't really feel like writing a list, but usually a toxic relationship, if done in the wrong way, can really ruin a show for me. That said, it can also be done in a way that really benefits the shows narrative (like your Death Note example). I think it depends on the story and how it's handled.

Feb 22, 5:55 PM

Subaru and Emilia. He falls in love with her because she's pretty and saved him from some thugs one time requiring almost no effort on her part. And now for the rest of the series he's completely obsessed with her, singing her praises to everyone and is trying to save her again so he can leverage her gratitude into romantic affection.
Meanwhile she treats him like a child since she's actually like 50 years old and clearly is not interested in that type of relationship but I'm pretty sure that will change as soon as the plot demands it (For clarification I stopped watching after season 2 episode 1).

Hiro and Zero Two. So he's also obsessed with Zero Two I guess mostly because she's hot and is the only one he can pilot a robot with. Here the problem is largely on her side since she was fucking with him hard for the first 12 or however episodes, egging him on to pilot with her knowing it was making him sick and would kill him, just for her own amusement basically.
So she was treating the current Hiro like disposable garbage ready to kill him but now that she realizes he's the boy from her childhood she's suddenly madly in love with him and of course this trash relationship works out because Hiro is a brainless asshole and Zero Two's the main heroine.
Again for clarification I don't mind her or their relationship while they were kids. That was fine. Talking strictly the current one.

And here's a bonus one: Araragi and Senjougahara from Monogatari.
She's constantly verbally and sometimes physically abusive. Only likes him because he solved her problem I guess. They basically become a couple on a whim in episode 2 when she just tells him they're dating now. Just wtf? Severely damaged what the rest of the show could have been. Zero chemistry. No clue why Araragi even likes her except for him just stating that he does later.
He's also willing to abandon her for various other girls like Hachikuji or Shinobu if they happen to need him (which made the series better but the relationship worse).

Feb 22, 8:38 PM

Not an anime but the main two of dead tube

Feb 22, 9:02 PM

Aren't toxic relationships pretty much a trope in BL anime?
The only one I've seen that handles it well is the Given movie.

Feb 23, 12:26 AM

SakuraXSasuke - Naruto
Sakura deserves better

KotokoxNaoki - Itazura na Kiss
This was the most painful romance I managed to complete somehow. Naoki was such a jerk but everyone in the show worships him cause he's smart and handsome

KyouyaxErika - Ookami Shoujo to Kuro Ouji
Just horrible, I even read the manga to see if there's a redemption arc but it was just a waste of time.

Taiga x Ryuuji - Toradora
I barely get crushes on anime characters but I had one on Ryuuji early on, so it was painful to watch how he was treated as the series progressed.

Feb 23, 2:12 AM

Jaeger_bomb said:

Sesshomaru never acted like a father figure and Rin never saw him a a parental figure.

Houseki no Kuni Club

Feb 23, 2:45 AM
Catalano said:
Jaeger_bomb said:

Sesshomaru never acted like a father figure and Rin never saw him a a parental figure.

Still doesn't excuse the two ending up together. Sesshomaru was like a guardian to Rin the two getting together is still fckin weird

Feb 23, 2:58 AM
Ryuuji and Taiga, pretty much any BL couple ever because fujos like rape and harassment for some reason, Misaki and Usui/Erika and Kyouya are basically the same thing and quite a few others.

Feb 23, 3:09 AM

Jaeger_bomb said:
Catalano said:

Still doesn't excuse the two ending up together. Sesshomaru was like a guardian to Rin the two getting together is still fckin weird

I agree it's weird but I don't think it's toxic, shouldn't toxic be used for abusive relationships and the like?

Houseki no Kuni Club

Feb 23, 3:21 AM

The entire web relationship of Kuzu no Honkai casts lol. I've never seen a show full with toxicity and fake relationship before. The show managed to make me hate the entire cast in just 3 episodes. Dropped it halfway and never looking back at it.

Feb 23, 3:30 AM

In FLCL, Haruko x Naota and Mamimi x Naota both felt like shitty and suffocating relationships
I don't speak English that much, So please cut me some slack

Feb 23, 3:38 AM
There're alot of toxic relationshipsin anime
(Example: LightxMisa SasukexSakura) but
YukixYuno are the definition of toxic

Feb 23, 3:56 AM
Nana Komatsu x Takumi (Nana). I mostly blame Nana for her stupid decisions throughout the series. Takumi atleast take responsibility but still he cheated.

Tanaka x Maho (Beck)- these two just should remain friends. They always have on and off relationship. Tanaka always simp for any girl. Maho get too close to her male friends.

Ranma x Akane (Ranma 1/2)- i know many will disagree. But i dislike their relationship. Both are tsunderes and always quarrel with each other and barely had any sweer moments together.

Light x Misa (Death Note)- you know why.

Feb 23, 4:23 AM
Oh, a Cat!

Sakura x Sasuke is just super toxic and forced. . . It doesn't feel right and never will.

I got the choccy milk. Now what? ┐('~`;)┌

Yaoi I guess! (.❛ ᴗ ❛.)

Feb 23, 4:24 AM
I won't say it as toxic but the relation between Sakura and Sasuke never made any sense to me.

Feb 23, 4:28 AM

Forgot to mention every relationship in darling in the franxx is toxic and nonsense except the main couple

Feb 23, 4:30 AM

Trvshy said:
Osumare said:

Faxxx tho, totally agreed. Also, Diabolik Wifebeaters made me laugh ngl, cuz ITS TRUE. And I didn't even know this about the games. Wtf, that's legit fucked up. Very concerning, because young people be playing those games. Same with the anime. Fuck that show.

Yeah the games are even worse than the anime. There are literally bad endings where she gets raped and used as a sex slave for life (well not like that's any different from how she is treated in general) for rejecting and stepping away from certain characters.

Oh that's not even the best part btw, they call the good choices/endings m for machostic and bad endings and bad choices s for sadistic like lmao wtf? It's sadistic for cussing someone out for trying to rape and harm you? I know because the male characters are attractive people excuse their behavior but honestly how df can anyone excuse how the game presents having a backbone or just staying away from toxic abuse like a normal fucking person is being a dominatrix lmao.

Also I played the game when it came out so when I found out it was getting an anime adaptation I lost it like who df was moved by the visual novel to make an anime.

And I agree very concerning and fucked up because nowadays I see a lot of kids starting to find out about Diabolk Lovers and making "uwu so cute tsundere and yandere vampie!!!!!!!" videos with GachaLife. So now we have the new generation of kids and young teens thinking this shit is cute and okay smh.

Feb 23, 4:32 AM

S5-Astraea said:
Kira Yamato and Fllay Allstar. She litterally wanted him to fight and fight until he died because she is racist...

Shinn Asuka and Lunamaria Hawke. There is no build up. He literally almost killed her in one battle. Right before they got together, she was into another dude lmao.

Bara_no_Uta said:

Osumare said:
When I found out Sesshomaru and Rin was canon I was just like “wtf”. Ignoring how OOC it would be for Sesshomaru to pull a whole Usagi Drop (which I’m gonna go into), it’s like...what? Why? And the fact that people defend this makes it worse.

Jaeger_bomb said:

I actually agree strongly with this. But since Takahashi didn't write the sequel, at least I can pretend it's just really bad fanfiction by one of the anime's original staff.

Lmao that's what I do too, just write it off as bad fanfiction so I can save my childhood. It's what I did when it came to TLOU2.

(All jokes aside I am wondering if they got Yashahime's plot outta fanfiction because it legit feels like those "next generation" fanfics people used to make of Inuyasha, the only difference is Moroha is not the main focus while in the fanfics the the kid of Kagome and Inuyasha is always the main character.)

Feb 23, 4:43 AM

Catalano said:
Jaeger_bomb said:

I agree it's weird but I don't think it's toxic, shouldn't toxic be used for abusive relationships and the like?

Nah we gonna extend the toxic element to borderline/full on pedo relationships because I am sick and tired of people making defenses for that creepy shit not only in anime but in western stuff such as people who be all bout BillDip or Frans (ew). And in fact I'm adding the Kodomo no Jikan relationships because wtf.

Btw speaking of Kodomo no Jikan, it's funny how Usagi Drop, Inuyasha, and Kodomo no Jikan all have characters named Rin I guess that name attracts all the grown men to the yard.

Modified by Osumare, Feb 23, 4:47 AM

Feb 23, 4:51 AM

vegeta8639 said:
Subaru and Emilia. He falls in love with her because she's pretty and saved him from some thugs one time requiring almost no effort on her part. And now for the rest of the series he's completely obsessed with her, singing her praises to everyone and is trying to save her again so he can leverage her gratitude into romantic affection.
Meanwhile she treats him like a child since she's actually like 50 years old and clearly is not interested in that type of relationship but I'm pretty sure that will change as soon as the plot demands it (For clarification I stopped watching after season 2 episode 1).

Hiro and Zero Two. So he's also obsessed with Zero Two I guess mostly because she's hot and is the only one he can pilot a robot with. Here the problem is largely on her side since she was fucking with him hard for the first 12 or however episodes, egging him on to pilot with her knowing it was making him sick and would kill him, just for her own amusement basically.
So she was treating the current Hiro like disposable garbage ready to kill him but now that she realizes he's the boy from her childhood she's suddenly madly in love with him and of course this trash relationship works out because Hiro is a brainless asshole and Zero Two's the main heroine.
Again for clarification I don't mind her or their relationship while they were kids. That was fine. Talking strictly the current one.

And here's a bonus one: Araragi and Senjougahara from Monogatari.
She's constantly verbally and sometimes physically abusive. Only likes him because he solved her problem I guess. They basically become a couple on a whim in episode 2 when she just tells him they're dating now. Just wtf? Severely damaged what the rest of the show could have been. Zero chemistry. No clue why Araragi even likes her except for him just stating that he does later.
He's also willing to abandon her for various other girls like Hachikuji or Shinobu if they happen to need him (which made the series better but the relationship worse).

If I'm correct the re:zero one is even worse since Subaru died after that so he's the only one that remembers, thus Emilia must have thought that some random guy was obsessed with her

Feb 23, 4:54 AM

Osumare said:
Catalano said:

Nah we gonna extend the toxic element to borderline/full on pedo relationships because I am sick and tired of people making defenses for that creepy shit not only in anime but in western stuff such as people who be all bout BillDip or Frans (ew). And in fact I'm adding the Kodomo no Jikan relationships because wtf.

Btw speaking of Kodomo no Jikan, it's funny how Usagi Drop, Inuyasha, and Kodomo no Jikan all have characters named Rin I guess that name attracts all the grown men to the yard.

what a weird coincidence :))
I remember with fondness how I picked usagi drop manga, I was looking for a cute story about a dude raising a child, slice of life etc, that time skip and the ending destroyed me. On top of that, the mangaka said in an interview (can't remember where) that the story was always towards that point, it was supposed to be a romance about rin and daikichi.
Also, if you guys hate that thing, then I do not recommend KareKano manga, the ending is disgusting, a 30 year old dude and a 12 year old girl if I remember correctly

Houseki no Kuni Club

Feb 23, 4:55 AM
almost all anime romance, the principal couple it's like this.

Feb 23, 5:11 AM
Punkuin said:
Adachi and Shimamura. They both have unhealthy traits and the act of being together only enables them.

Totally, and the Ln is much worst !!!

Feb 23, 5:18 AM

Gleipnir: Suichi x Clair was weird and hard to watch.

Feb 23, 5:22 AM
Sakuta002766 said:
Forgot to mention every relationship in darling in the franxx is toxic and nonsense except the main couple
your profile pic justifies why you are dumb.The main relationship was the most toxic one

Feb 23, 5:22 AM

Easily Shinji and Asuka's relationship in Evangelion
I would have said Sasuke and Sakura but everyone already said that

Pages (2) [1] 2 »