Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Feb 21, 2021 9:07 AM

Oct 2019
So we are halfway through the season now and one thought crossed my mind a few times now. Is this the best execution of the Isekai concept that we’ve had since the Isekai wave started? Idk how it will continue but if they keep this up, the title “Best Isekai” might actually be justified. What do you guys think?
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Feb 21, 2021 9:08 AM

Aug 2020
It could be if Re:Zero wasn't written by god himself. But it could definitely be second :).
clannad is the greatest piece of fiction to ever exist.
Feb 21, 2021 9:09 AM
Aug 2020
I'd say yes for me. Thats only me tho.
Feb 21, 2021 9:12 AM

Jul 2017
I don't know if it's the best one but when it comes to the novels, definitely one of the very few isekai products that I like. Could be the best one if I put some thought into it, definitely prefer this massively over stuff like Re:Zero.
Feb 21, 2021 9:14 AM

Jun 2012
It's amazing but I haven't seen enough Isekai to make a judgment on it being "The Best".
Feb 21, 2021 9:19 AM

Apr 2013
Are you suggesting it's better than series like 12 kingdoms, ima soko ni iru boku, bookworm or youjo senki?
If so then I cannot follow you on that at all. Unless it becomes way better down the line, I don't see how that would top the list of the above and a few others tbh. It's not bad so far, but I don't see anything exceptional either.

The animation itself and the background/chara design is very nice though, I wish other series like bookworm could have benefited from such attention when adapted in anime ~.
Feb 21, 2021 9:34 AM

Dec 2017
Wat. There is a ton of better isekais. Maybe what you meant was "the best bland & generic isekai"? Cause in that case it could be that, the blandest of them all. If you are asking about isekais overall - this one does not even get into top 10.
Feb 21, 2021 9:41 AM
Oct 2013
Zefyris said:
Are you suggesting it's better than series like 12 kingdoms, ima soko ni iru boku, bookworm or youjo senki?
If so then I cannot follow you on that at all. Unless it becomes way better down the line, I don't see how that would top the list of the above and a few others tbh. It's not bad so far, but I don't see anything exceptional either.

The animation itself and the background/chara design is very nice though, I wish other series like bookworm could have benefited from such attention when adapted in anime ~.

You might change your tune soon.
I cannot bring myself to rate anime that I have completed below 5. Well, it just because I have use up my precious time to watch it. so, the worse you will get from me is 5 (changes may apply)
Feb 21, 2021 9:45 AM
May 2010
slavemaster_1991 said:
Wat. There is a ton of better isekais. Maybe what you meant was "the best bland & generic isekai"? Cause in that case it could be that, the blandest of them all. If you are asking about isekais overall - this one does not even get into top 10.

I second that. Mushoku Tensei it's mediocre. It could be nice story of overcoming traumas but it's not very good at that plus every guy in this story is a perv.
Feb 21, 2021 9:45 AM
Oct 2020
Best isekai¿ not really it a very good isekai but not the best the main characters is kinda weird and have some weird ass fetish and that creep me out a lil
Feb 21, 2021 9:47 AM
Oct 2020
Best isekai¿ not really it a very good isekai but not the best the main characters is kinda weird and have some weird fetish and that creep me out a lil
Feb 21, 2021 9:48 AM

Dec 2020
"Best isekai?" "Best shounen?" "Anime of the season/year/decade?"
It always annoys me when people make these threads while the season or the show are not even finished yet.

Now on topic: no, for me it's not the best YET.
Feb 21, 2021 9:58 AM
May 2020
I can fully agree that it is the best isekai ever imo
Feb 21, 2021 10:02 AM

Oct 2018
Did Re:Zero stop being isekai?
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
Feb 21, 2021 10:09 AM

Jan 2011
Top 3 for me. Re:Zero is still the king here.
Feb 21, 2021 10:13 AM
Jul 2018
Re Zero, Juuni Kokuki, Kumo Desu and Bookworm exist so no.
removed-userFeb 21, 2021 1:01 PM
Feb 21, 2021 10:16 AM
Councilor

Apr 2017
It's definitely a good show. However, I do enjoy Re:Zero and Ascendance of a Bookworm more. I'd place it 3rd.

This show does have a weird premise, of how the dude is was a low-life creep before reincarnation. At least though, that character is shown through Rudeus. I can appreciate that.
ChaduosFeb 21, 2021 10:21 AM
Feb 21, 2021 10:19 AM
Jan 2021
It's my favorite isekai. Being the best really depends on personal preferences.
Feb 21, 2021 10:24 AM

Dec 2018
Pretty much yeah, this show is the textbook definition of isekai and the one I'd recommend if someone wants to watch "an isekai anime"

And please guys, at least read the first post before answering as if we're asking you if this is the best isekai anime in a quality standpoint
Stuff in the streets, Stuff with drip in the sheets
Feb 21, 2021 10:25 AM

Dec 2015
Yeah. One of the best or the fest so far - actually. Despite having that sexual stuff that feels a bit like comedy ... it is nice. And the chars a nice and nothing feels out of place.

Re:Zero had too much of an annoying main and the shield hero also felt annoying with the annoying chars ha ha.
Feb 21, 2021 10:37 AM

Mar 2016
I would agree for the time being. Definitely prefer this notably more over ReZero, even though I still do quite enjoy the latter.
Its approach to worldbuilding and portrayal of societal and fantasy aspects has been quite solid so far, as well as the organic groundwork on the characteres as well (which include even the dirty parts as well, which I'm glad they don't skim on).

I plan to check out the LN for more after this first cour ends.
Feb 21, 2021 10:38 AM

Nov 2019
2nd best isekai after re zero*
Feb 21, 2021 10:45 AM

Dec 2016
Its too early to even say this is one of the best isekais since you have shows like re zero airing.
Feb 21, 2021 10:54 AM
Feb 2021
Re zero is better.
Feb 21, 2021 11:34 AM

Mar 2011
Chida said:
It could be if Re:Zero wasn't written by god himself. But it could definitely be second :).

le re-zero groundhog day with lame protagonist is written by god. God of crap shows maybe.

Zefyris said:

Out of those (didn't saw 12 kingdoms), the only one that even comes close is Bookworm and even if you'd compare Mushoku Tensei with only the first season of Bookworm, the storytelling in Ascendance of a Bookworm is worse. The only thing I can compare to this show is Spice and Wolf (even though not an isekai, the worldbuilding, character development, the pace, everything, feels closer to that)

---------
---------
craptoon_network_narutonoobz said:
REEEE-0 is the best cartoon evah

Bunch of dilettantes that don't even know NGNL is the undisputable isekai champion to date(unless Mushoku Tensei dethrones it). Every connoisseur knows.
Feb 21, 2021 11:36 AM
Apr 2016
Useless post, the answer is "no" and what you defines as best depends only on your opinion. Debating on this question is pure nonsense.

Technically, in terms of art, scenario, characters, music, it is not the best Isekai, by far.
In terms of enjoyment, which is the most important thing, it will depends on your tastes.
Feb 21, 2021 11:38 AM

Aug 2020
Genjurooo said:
Chida said:

le re-zero groundhog day with lame protagonist is written by god. God of crap shows maybe.

Zefyris said:

Out of those (didn't saw 12 kingdoms), the only one that even comes close is Bookworm and even if you'd compare Mushoku Tensei with only the first season of Bookworm, the storytelling in Ascendance of a Bookworm is worse. The only thing I can comparable to this show is Spice and Wolf (even though not an isekai, the worldbuilding, character development, the pace, everything, feels closer to that)

---------
---------
craptoon_network_narutonoobz said:
REEEE-0 is the best cartoon evah

Bunch of dilettantes that don't even know NGNL is the undisputable isekai champion to date(unless Mushoku Tensei dethrones it). Every connoisseur knows.

Hard to take this post serious when you have bakemonogatari at a 5 but the secret dungeon only I can enter at a 9.
clannad is the greatest piece of fiction to ever exist.
Feb 21, 2021 11:39 AM

Sep 2014
It's definitely up there in the top, yeah.
Feb 21, 2021 11:43 AM

Mar 2011
Chida said:

Hard to take this post serious when you have bakemonogatari at a 5 but the secret dungeon only I can enter at a 9.

Sorry to break it to you, but not everyone is a hipster and trend victim to be taken in by garbage and pretentious abstract art.

BTW anything still airing obviously gets a provisional score which is rarely changed before the anime finishes. It has to either piss me off or amaze me to change it before that.
GenjuroooFeb 21, 2021 11:51 AM
Feb 21, 2021 11:53 AM

Oct 2020
It's good, but not the best.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 21, 2021 12:07 PM
Dec 2018
sunako1006 said:
slavemaster_1991 said:

I second that. Mushoku Tensei it's mediocre. It could be nice story of overcoming traumas but it's not very good at that plus every guy in this story is a perv.

^ Exactly. For something that was supposed to be a redemption story, it disappointed:

MC: Lived as a recluse for a couple decades (hikikomori), PLUS, never took a job to pay for his own stuff even though he was already a middle aged man (NEET).
Author: WORRY NOT! We'll make him quickly overcome that pretty early on the story.
MC: Also is sexually attracted to children.
Author: Yeah let's leave this one as it is. In fact, let me write all kinds of convenient settings so he can fulfill all his fantasies in the new world.

So maybe it's the best isekai at not having character development.
Latest reviews: Mushoku Tensei P2 🤮 • Meikyuu Black Company 💰 • Tsukimichi 🌙
Feb 21, 2021 12:16 PM
Jan 2021
His character development was more like taking the world more seriously than overcoming his perveted problems.
Feb 21, 2021 12:42 PM

Apr 2013
Genjurooo said:

Zefyris said:

Out of those (didn't saw 12 kingdoms), the only one that even comes close is Bookworm and even if you'd compare Mushoku Tensei with only the first season of Bookworm, the storytelling in Ascendance of a Bookworm is worse. The only thing I can compare to this show is Spice and Wolf (even though not an isekai, the worldbuilding, character development, the pace, everything, feels closer to that)

Are you saying that with only the 7 episodes of mushoku tensei as reference or did you READ the books? Because if you're saying that with just the anime and you're telling that mushoku tensei tops in WRITING all those I listed you've got a strange sense of what is good writing. Also, bookworm and spice & wolf are pretty much at the same level of writing so if mushoku tensei were to be around the level of spice & wolf it would also be around the level of bookworm by default ~

if you read the books, well, we'll have to see, but it woudl need to become way better than it currently is to touch any of those I listed. I sure hope it becomes THAT good tho, as the more good show we get, the better after all.
Feb 21, 2021 12:55 PM

Jul 2020
Its the best that I've seen judging by the animes. Re:Zero is a close second but you just can't compete with that animation...
I gave up on character of the week since it takes too much thinking. I'll just change my forum pfp to whoever I want every week lol.
Feb 21, 2021 1:11 PM

Nov 2013
Best isekai ever? This is a useless thread (no offense) since yet again it's all about individual tastes. When it comes to Isekai, I'd place them as following:
#1 Ascendance of a Bookworm
#2 re:zero
#3 Shield hero
#4 Konosuba
So far, Mushoku tensei has accumulated more negatives than positives to me. So there's no chance for it to appear above any of those 4. Heck... even spider isekai would rank higher than this one in my list!
Feb 21, 2021 1:19 PM

Aug 2013
I like it so much shield hero is trash comparting to this
Feb 21, 2021 1:31 PM
Mar 2012
Chida said:

I don't know how to say it properly, but watching Re Zero is like having sex but never actually reach orgasm, just very close to it.

I prefer this massively over Re Zero
Feb 21, 2021 1:36 PM

Jun 2011
The prologue isn't even finished yet so it's too early to tell. But yes, it's up there on the list if they keep this up.
Feb 21, 2021 1:41 PM
Oct 2015
Genjurooo said:

Agreed !

Hahaha I didn't expect to read this at all ! hahaha finally some one else on the NGNL league 😎 , we'll see it on how it ends on last episode as NGNL got no match for now on how any isekai ends their season xD
HaryKane_TXDFeb 21, 2021 1:51 PM

If you don't appreciate art , anime aren't for you , there is nothing wrong in them , nothing is perfect !

If you criticize Anime you should release your reviews directly to people and authors that made em !

Anime will not get any better if reviews do not get outside the borders of this website , change this !
Feb 21, 2021 1:43 PM

Oct 2018
spirited away (it is one technically)
Feb 21, 2021 1:44 PM
Jul 2018
It had the potential to but I don't think it is or deserves to be, at-least for me

Konosuba and Re: Zero will always be on-top when it comes to Isekai

So I'm a Spider, So What? is gaining my attention more and more as it progresses, that's my Isekai pick of the season
(Aka: The one I'm enjoying the most currently)

Still need to watch Ascendance of a Bookworm
Feb 21, 2021 1:55 PM

Mar 2011
Zefyris said:

Are you saying that with only the 7 episodes of mushoku tensei as reference or did you READ the books? Because if you're saying that with just the anime and you're telling that mushoku tensei tops in WRITING all those I listed you've got a strange sense of what is good writing. Also, bookworm and spice & wolf are pretty much at the same level of writing so if mushoku tensei were to be around the level of spice & wolf it would also be around the level of bookworm by default ~

if you read the books, well, we'll have to see, but it woudl need to become way better than it currently is to touch any of those I listed. I sure hope it becomes THAT good tho, as the more good show we get, the better after all.

This is an anime discussion, of course i talk about the anime. And no, Bookworm has little to do with Spice and Wolf. When I think of Bookworm I think of the Slime isekai. Why do you say it is similar to Spice? Because it has trading and merchanty stuff?

I say that about Mushoku Tensei because of the atmosphere, again, the pace of storytelling and the quality of it.

In Bookworm the MC (past a point) feels like an annoying know-it-all brat and even the author knows it, trying to break it by making her wrong or doubtful from time to time. Only that it is quite low effort as it comes like telephoned excuses of author's uninspired choices (in building her character and developing the story). Everytime she failed in anything felt like a hamfisted and artificial way to disguise a very obvious power fantasy char. The saving the orphanage arc is the best example. Until now you have nothing of that crap in this show, the power fantasy is pretty obvious in the beginning but gets harmoniously blended in the fabric of the worldbuilding and the bildungsroman direction of the atmosphere and any doubts MC might have had feel organic and not dumb cheap stuff.

Some mistakes that I pray this anime doesn't repeat. Until now there is no doubt it is better than Bookworm, but then again Bookworm was awesome too until the girl became a preachy "holier than thou" or "le madame ruling over dumb peasants" brat (most of season 2).
Feb 21, 2021 2:23 PM
Nov 2020
This is really good
But Re:zero is still the best for me
Feb 21, 2021 2:35 PM
Jan 2021
No its not.

It's hasn't even finished airing and this anime has a lot of tropes that we see in modern isekai
Feb 21, 2021 2:58 PM
Dec 2017
Phantoken said:
So we are halfway through the season now and one thought crossed my mind a few times now. Is this the best execution of the Isekai concept that we’ve had since the Isekai wave started? Idk how it will continue but if they keep this up, the title “Best Isekai” might actually be justified. What do you guys think?

Given how this series hasn't gotten to the turning point yet where the series really starts, you shouldn't be making this thread.
Feb 21, 2021 3:22 PM
Jul 2018
skysurf said:
sunako1006 said:

^ Exactly. For something that was supposed to be a redemption story, it disappointed:

MC: Lived as a recluse for a couple decades (hikikomori), PLUS, never took a job to pay for his own stuff even though he was already a middle aged man (NEET).
Author: WORRY NOT! We'll make him quickly overcome that pretty early on the story.
Author: Yeah let's leave this one as it is. In fact, let me write all kinds of convenient settings so he can fulfill all his fantasies in the new world.

Absolutely this!
Btw I read your review on it and thanks for that. It's just a pity that they wasted great animation and art style on it.
But the mc is so disgusting... I finally dropped it when he pulled down the panties of the half elf girl as a grown-ass man. 🤢
And don't come you guys to me with excuses.

Topic: If you count Inuyasha, then that's the best isekai for a lot of personal and nostalgic reasons. Also even without nostalgic reasons, it's still so much better than the generic new ones.
My second place are 12 Kingdoms, Spirited Away and Digimon and my third is the Bookworm isekai, Here and There, Now and Then and Grimgar sharing that place.
Haven't seen Log Horizon yet, but it looks pretty good.

But THIS one... no, I wish it could, because it's visually very pleasing.
removed-userFeb 21, 2021 3:28 PM
Feb 21, 2021 3:26 PM

Jan 2017
If we are counting KonoSuba as a parody of Isekai genre, for know it's my number 2 but already coming really close to my N#1 RE:Zero.

If it's as good as the LN readers are hyping it might be the best isekai ever once the S2 will be in the supposed "best part".
Feb 21, 2021 3:39 PM
Dec 2018
skysurf said:
sunako1006 said:

Your logic is bit flawed. Much of the story has not even started yet and the anime is only closing out on volume 2. There is supposed to be 25 LN volumes on Rudeus journey.

The anime has not even established some of the major challenges Rudeus has to tackle or some of the antagonists in the story.

Rudeus is currently a tutor for a royal family and has a client who is quite difficult to teach. Just by being able to impress Eris enough for him to keep his job is a testament to Rudeu's growth in the new world. In addition, he also very open-minded, given he actively pursues knowledge. Evident in the last episode, where he is inquiring more on the beast race and making an effort to learn their language.
ConceptualheroFeb 21, 2021 3:52 PM
I like dub more than sub because I am not a weeb.
Feb 21, 2021 4:23 PM
Dec 2018
Conceptualhero said:
skysurf said:

Your logic is bit flawed. Much of the story has not even started yet and the anime is only closing out on volume 2. There is supposed to be 25 LN volumes on Rudeus journey.

The anime has not even established some of the major challenges Rudeus has to tackle or some of the antagonists in the story.

Rudeus is currently a tutor for a royal family and has a client who is quite difficult to teach. Just by being able to impress Eris enough for him to keep his job is a testament to Rudeu's growth in the new world. In addition, he also very open-minded, given he actively pursues knowledge. Evident in the last episode, where he is inquiring more on the beast race and making an effort to learn their language.

You're basically supporting my point. His horrible flaws being fixed except one of them (you already know which one). If you're anime-only viewer, just be aware that MC won't stop being a creep; the author goes the opposite way and write all kinds of plot devices so MC can fulfill his fantasies.
Latest reviews: Mushoku Tensei P2 🤮 • Meikyuu Black Company 💰 • Tsukimichi 🌙
Feb 21, 2021 4:35 PM
Dec 2018
skysurf said:
Conceptualhero said:

You're basically supporting my point. His horrible flaws being fixed except one of them (you already know which one). If you're anime-only viewer, just be aware that MC won't stop being a creep; the author goes the opposite way and write all kinds of plot devices so MC can fulfill his fantasies.

If you are focusing on his creepiness, then I have nothing to add. I am more interested in what he has accomplished in the new world so far. When I watch the anime, I ignore his creepiness (I hope it more tamer once the next arc hits) and focus on the world building, characters, plot, and the setting.
I like dub more than sub because I am not a weeb.
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Is Season 2, Part 1 as good as Season 1?

GoatPieceLuffy - Yesterday

19 by Reevansingh21 »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Mushoku Tensei: Isekai Ittara Honki Dasu Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 21, 2021

466 by Anayan_Kashyap »»
Apr 23, 9:08 AM

» Is Mushoku Tensei one of best isekai anime so far ?

ISeeLifePeople - Jul 20, 2023

45 by Anayan_Kashyap »»
Apr 23, 9:04 AM

Poll: » Mushoku Tensei: Isekai Ittara Honki Dasu Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 31, 2021

380 by Anayan_Kashyap »»
Apr 22, 9:57 AM

Poll: » Mushoku Tensei: Isekai Ittara Honki Dasu Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 7, 2021

335 by Remurst »»
Apr 10, 1:56 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.