Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 9, 2021 11:46 AM
Feb 2018
I've been wondering for really long time now, I just don't get it... why is it so ignored? I loved pretty much every anime I've watched of that genre, but there are so little... it's just so sad.

Feb 9, 2021 12:07 PM
May 2020
i enjoy it i have seen 36 titles and its rated 6th on my list with 100.07hrs watched and a weight score of 6.29
Feb 9, 2021 12:10 PM

Aug 2018
I enjoy this genre, and will certainly watch more in the future.. But also I feel that for now I have more of these series I haven't watched.. There could be even more, though - I wouldn't complain.. ;P
Feb 9, 2021 12:11 PM
Jul 2018
theres actually lots of shouja ai stuff if you look for them but yeah, not many people talk about them..
Feb 9, 2021 12:14 PM
𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓞𝓷𝓮

Jul 2020
If I were you, I'd just read novels/mangas from the genres you like. Adaptations tend to leave out key moments from series that matter to the story and the reader just to be able to fit the whole thing within a set number of episodes.

Besides, that way you get to experience the author's Art and visuals, and live the story through your mind. A good author will be able to vehiculate characters' feelings and emotions from the book to you.

I do agree with you though that there isn't a lot of variety in the genre, and I'd like to see more.

anime list -~~- manga list
Feb 9, 2021 12:19 PM

Dec 2010
nope I would rather they make more quality BL than GL.
Feb 9, 2021 12:24 PM

Jan 2021
Honestly I don't really care for shounen or shoujo ai, but I do agree there is an issue that there is a lack of good anime in both departments.
Only good shoujo ai I've seen was Bloom into You, I preferred it to Strawberry Panic actually.
"不幸だ!" - Kamijou Touma
Check out my anime list by clicking here (it's public now).

Feb 9, 2021 12:26 PM

Feb 2013
>hasnt seen utena
>hasnt seen mariasama
>hasnt seen oniisama e

back to reddit
Feb 9, 2021 1:31 PM

Feb 2019
Right. We need more yuri.

NilsLikeAnime said:
Honestly, Konohana kitan bored me, Budoukan was excessive and I don't like "idol" stuff, Citrus was decent and the ending was the entire show, bloom into you was weird, sakura trick was... kissing, adachi and shimamura was actually nice but I don't like when it just ends and it hasn't progressed all that much, scum's wish was borderline hentai, sasameki koto was like adachi and shimamura. The only one I thought was really good was Strawberry panic.

Conclusion: I think we need at least one good shoujo ai and probably because pretty much all of them are either too much or too little
Never thought anything was weird with YagaKimi.
Feb 9, 2021 6:21 PM
Dec 2017
Theres alot of stuff that still needs to be added on the database so you can ask a manga mod what kind of stuff you wanna add on the database.

Feb 9, 2021 8:13 PM
Jul 2018
I've wondered this myself, although I think it is headed in the right direction since more have been adapted in recent years. I guess they weren't sure if there was a market for it, I'd assume?

But if you go to manga... lol you can read manga all day every day and still probably never read every single yuri. Once upon a time I had a goal like that, but now there are so many that there's no way it would be possible. Which is a good thing for the genre though.

I'd highly recommend anything by Morinaga Milk. My favorite by her was Hana to Hina wa Houkago. But none of her stuff has been adapted into anime.
Feb 10, 2021 11:03 AM

Jul 2019
Personally I don't like shoujo-ai. But speaking from a purely production stand-point, it's simply not that beneficial for studios to adapt a shoujo-ai. Since they don't tend to do as well nor do they reach as broad of a audience. Meaning it's more than likely that they will actually lose money from doing so. If you're a company that is looking to profit (which basically any animation company is), then the safest bet will pretty much always be to adapt a straight romance as opposed to shoujo/shounen-ai.
Subarashii
Feb 10, 2021 11:39 AM

Feb 2019
NilsLikeAnime said:
cythraul said:
Right. We need more yuri.

Never thought anything was weird with YagaKimi.

Well Idk why either, maybe I need to rewatch it. But whenever I think back to it I just feel like it was weird. Probably because she didn't have any feelings for her but still was letting her kiss her. That's one reason I didn't like Scum's Wish, bcs like they were friends with benefits or rather even acquaintances with benefits
I didn't like Scum's wish either but Yagakimi is a bit mature and has some realism considering how Yuu is constantly thinking and making more progression. I think she lets her kiss because she wants to 'feel' love. You know how it started with Yuu stating that she has never felt love towards anyone before.
Feb 10, 2021 11:44 AM
May 2016
there's plenty of manga and light novels, they just don't often get adapted. I'd love if the rest of Bloom into you was adapted, and I'd love if we got a second season of Adachi and Shimamura.

So I would love to get more shoujo Ai adaptations, though I'd prefer Whispering you a love song or I'm in love with the Villainess over more crap like Netsuzou Trap
Feb 10, 2021 11:47 AM
May 2016
doshiteKAMISAMA said:
Honestly I don't really care for shounen or shoujo ai, but I do agree there is an issue that there is a lack of good anime in both departments.
Only good shoujo ai I've seen was Bloom into You, I preferred it to Strawberry Panic actually.

Really? Strawberry Panic? I couldn't get into that one, I thought it had too many....predatorial vibes
Feb 10, 2021 11:48 AM

Apr 2015
It's not a very popular genre in general, and most fans of it probably prefer one where it doesn't fetishize the content of it.
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Feb 10, 2021 11:55 AM

Feb 2021
doshiteKAMISAMA said:

As suggested before.. Maria Sama Ga Miteru and Oniisama e... are both VERY great ones.

I didn't know even the term - nor I could fall in love with something like that - before watching these two (excellent) series.
Feb 10, 2021 12:08 PM

Jul 2019
redwingsx said:
Avicebrons said:
Personally I don't like shoujo-ai. But speaking from a purely production stand-point, it's simply not that beneficial for studios to adapt a shoujo-ai. Since they don't tend to do as well nor do they reach as broad of a audience. Meaning it's more than likely that they will actually lose money from doing so. If you're a company that is looking to profit (which basically any animation company is), then the safest bet will pretty much always be to adapt a straight romance as opposed to shoujo/shounen-ai.

Well, I do get that it's not profitable. But, it does make those that like these genres unhappy. And there simply needs to be more for it to become more popular and profitable.

After all, some company did make Adachi to shimamura, and it certainly doesn't look like a failure to me.

But it's hard to make it more profitable. Because it will no matter how you twist and bend it, still reach a MUCH smaller audience. That's just the nature of it sadly. It's a niche genre. You can make a shoujo-ai and make it profitable. There even are examples of that. For instance Adachi to Shimamura like you mentioned I believe sold quite well. The problem is that it's more than likely that they could've been even more profitable by adapting something that would reach a bigger audience. Which is why many companies don't like to make shoujo/shounen-ais.
Subarashii
Feb 10, 2021 12:08 PM

Jan 2021
kryxanime said:
doshiteKAMISAMA said:

As suggested before.. Maria Sama Ga Miteru and Oniisama e... are both VERY great ones.

I didn't know even the term - nor I could fall in love with something like that - before watching these two (excellent) series.

oh well I'll put them on my plan to watch then, thanks for the recs.
"不幸だ!" - Kamijou Touma
Check out my anime list by clicking here (it's public now).

Feb 10, 2021 2:50 PM

Aug 2018
IMO i think it's empty because of how a lot of aspects that a lot of the most popular older shojo ai works had are not shown much anymore.

For example, shojo ai had a period of massive popularity in the mid to late 2000s because of the success of maria-sama and strawberry panic and a lot of people were attracted to the fantasy of going to a far-away school with only fellow girls and engaging in such things at a religious environment. But you don't really see that much anymore so it died down in content and popularity.

The recent shojo ai i can remember popping up was citrus and surprise surprise, it had the "forbidden at religious girl schools' aspect and the many unnecessary scenes of sexual assault aspect.
"Of what worth is a king who fails to protect the powerless?" —Saber, Fate/Zero
Feb 10, 2021 3:12 PM

Sep 2011
There's a decent amount of it. My issue is that most of it is really shallow. I have pretty limited experience with it, but most GL shows I have seen suffer from feeling fake or manipulative. Same thing can be said about BL stories as well. It's rare to find one that actually feels like a story of two people. Most tend to be written to purely be fan-service.

"They escaped the weight of darkness,
to forge a path into the marrow of the spirit.
They chose to drown in a deeper vacancy,
an emptiness that quells the null,
a pool for the forgotten..."
Feb 10, 2021 3:29 PM

Feb 2019
If you want to consume more yuri works, you're better off branching to manga and LNs, and occasionally clinging desperately to the few adaptations that do get announced from time to time. The industry is in no rush to adapt more 'pure' yuri, only either yuribait or very subtle yuri mixed in other genres, much like the romance genre is nowadays.

This year has some yuri works coming up or running now, such as Shokei Shoujo no Virgin Road and, ugh, Urasekai Picnic - for whatever that dumpster fire of an adaptation is worth, the novel or manga would still be a better choice. Having three yuri anime, if you count Vlad Love (although it could be more, if PA Works delivers with its original show, which I'm far, far from holding my breath for, knowing PA Works and all) in a year isn't exactly a bad year for the genre, even more so considering Adachi to Shimamura aired last fall. I wouldn't say it's the sign of an upwards tick, but it's something.

All of that said and going into a bit of a tangent, I really don't know why a considerable amount of the genre fandom likes Citrus so much, even putting the whole noncon aside, which, as someone who liked the trashy melodrama of Strawberry Panic, doesn't bother me at all. I really had thought the manga couldn't get anymore dumpster-fire-y than that ending, but then along came Citrus+ and god... please, Saburouta, let sleeping dogs lie.
Feb 10, 2021 3:30 PM

May 2018
"Why is shoujo ai pretty much empty?"

Because "ai" means love and when the love is gone all what remains is emptiness...
Feb 10, 2021 4:01 PM

Jul 2017
bruh there's like at least one shoujo ai almost every season lmao
Feb 10, 2021 4:21 PM

Aug 2014
You know it's a good question, Shoujo-ai is a genre where the best it has to offer is probably there because unfortunately, a majority of the other series are just "Bland" I hate to say - there is no real romance or feeling in a lot of them.

Feb 10, 2021 4:25 PM

Apr 2017
If I have to guess, it's probably for business reasons. Likely, very few people prefer girls loving each other to girls all loving one dude they can stick themselves into the shoes of (looking at all the isekai/harem/wish-fulfillment titles out there).
There's no inherent right or wrong in this universe, but when we think with emotions rather than logic, we make things so.
Feb 10, 2021 4:34 PM

Feb 2015
I'd rather have better Shounen & Shoujo Ai anime than just more of them tbh ^^'
A lot of them are so heavily fetishized that they are just not enjoyable at all :/
There's no possible way you can steal my heart

I want to drown in this sweet Melancholy
Feb 11, 2021 10:31 AM

Aug 2018
redwingsx said:
Osumare said:
IMO i think it's empty because of how a lot of aspects that a lot of the most popular older shojo ai works had are not shown much anymore.

For example, shojo ai had a period of massive popularity in the mid to late 2000s because of the success of maria-sama and strawberry panic and a lot of people were attracted to the fantasy of going to a far-away school with only fellow girls and engaging in such things at a religious environment. But you don't really see that much anymore so it died down in content and popularity.

The recent shojo ai i can remember popping up was citrus and surprise surprise, it had the "forbidden at religious girl schools' aspect and the many unnecessary scenes of sexual assault aspect.

I think the older anime(like, strawberry panic), were shown in a much more open way, and it seemed more natural and that makes it easy to relate to characters. It's similar in Adachi to shimamura, like how it's easy to relate to characters.

I personally haven't liked anime like citrus, because the focus seems to be on kissing scenes more than anything. I think it was one of the anime, I started this genre with, and it kind of pushed me away.

Xaeveax said:
There's a decent amount of it. My issue is that most of it is really shallow. I have pretty limited experience with it, but most GL shows I have seen suffer from feeling fake or manipulative. Same thing can be said about BL stories as well. It's rare to find one that actually feels like a story of two people. Most tend to be written to purely be fan-service.

I do understand that, and it really is a shame how there seems to be so much fan-service, especially in some newer ones.

Yes, you are correct on the open-space way. Yuri like Strawberry Panic did a good job in building up plots, tension, and background/lore of the world and why the relationships were "forbidden", while Citrus (I read the manga and the manga's second half does a much better job at being ope-spaced) in its first half focused waaaay too much on the kissing and sexual parts. While Citrus did talk about the school of Mei and Yuzu and the forced-heteroness many of the students were in, the issues were solved too conveniently and quickly, such as
The fact that most of said scenes had sexual assault also didn't help the series much.

Speaking of relatable characters, one thing I've noticed in newer yuri is that the characters feel too much like typical anime characters in not only their relationships but their overall backstories. Older yuri characters tended to have less focus on the anime character type they were and more on their issues and motivations and life both when involving yuri or not involving yuri. New yuri characters tho focus way too much on their kissing to the point where a lot of them feel like they're just there for someone out there to get off to instead of characters that like you said are relatable.
OsumareFeb 11, 2021 10:50 AM
"Of what worth is a king who fails to protect the powerless?" —Saber, Fate/Zero
Feb 15, 2021 4:20 PM

Mar 2018
Because there’s not a large enough demographic in japan. First off there aren’t a lot of out gay people in japan nor anywhere except America so they definetly wouldn’t risk it by getting a book or watching an anime about it not to mention not every lesbian in japan is gonna want to read/watch shoujo ai so that makes it an even smaller demographic and straight females are obviously way more into Yaoi for a lot of reasons. And just like they’re counter part men are into yuri because they’re into it for the sex not the relationship I think a lot of this also has to do with the history of how the straights see queer people as well but I’m not getting into it.
Feb 15, 2021 6:37 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
^Pretty much. If there was a large enough audience yuri would get shoehorned into everything like isekai is nowadays. Also, yes, I'd love it if there was more shoujo ai.
Feb 15, 2021 7:05 PM

Aug 2019
I only like three anime from this genre. Bloom into You, Aoi Hana, and Asagao to Kase-san.

Just my oppinion other than this three they fall to boring to me. Adashima has a great start but the pacing is to slow and not much thing progressed. Well you can say adashima perfect shoujo ai since its have everything fudanshi want from this genre. Except developed characters and relationship
Feb 15, 2021 7:10 PM

Aug 2020
People don't understand the appeal of yuri, It's sad :(
clannad is the greatest piece of fiction to ever exist.
Feb 15, 2021 7:11 PM

Feb 2021
Hard to sell in comparison to straight romances. Plus if they're not fetishy or sexual, they usually don't appeal to as many non-lesbians for obvious, unfortunate reasons. I'm just happy we're not in the same state of yaoi (though I think it's improve compared to a few years ago) as far as fetish-pieces written by straight people go lol
Feb 15, 2021 7:17 PM

Oct 2017
I just wish we had more yuri and yaoi in general tbh, especially well written ones because I just would love to see more amazing LGBT romance in anime as a trans bisexual disaster myself
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.
Feb 15, 2021 7:18 PM

Dec 2020
There really wasn't anything to go with shoujou ai since it's not as exploitable as other defining genres as mecha, shounen, seinen, etch.

There isn't much anything new anyone can do with shoujou ai. That's my take on all of this.

I wasted all my time in rewatching to the point of my rewatch total is higher than my overall anime total lmao

More topics from this board

» You truly don't care about anime MAL score/rank? Ooh cool, but... ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 21

95 by H-A-M-M-Y »»
52 seconds ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Apr 23

66 by BatoKusanagi »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » Best kind of relationship in anime?

IpreferEcchi - Apr 22

19 by BatoKusanagi »»
5 minutes ago

» How is anime doing in the UK these days?

VeryRedBags - 44 minutes ago

1 by MeanMrMusician »»
8 minutes ago

Poll: » Bare feet or pantyhoses?

Absurdo_N - Apr 23

31 by BatoKusanagi »»
10 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.