Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 8, 2021 5:48 AM

Feb 2018
So many have told me so many different orders to watch it and im genuinely confused.Can anyone tell me the proper/best order to watch the series?And I'm talking about the ones made by ufotable...

Feb 8, 2021 7:16 AM

Jan 2017

"Genius lives only one storey above madness."
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

"Stupidity is a talent for misconception."
– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... & hungry."
– Alexioos95.
Feb 8, 2021 10:24 AM

Nov 2018
Oh boy... Here we go...

First step, don't listen to fate fans... they want you to spend the next 8 months of your life consuming type-moon media...

I would recommend you just watch Fate/Zero, Then Fate/Stay night Unlimited Blade works, Then Fate/Stay night Heavens feel (The three movies)... Those are the best ones and you'll know where to go next if you want to continue
El

Psy

Congroo
Feb 9, 2021 11:05 AM

Oct 2013
The first response is pretty good. I would say to start with UBW and Heaven's Feel because they're part of the original VN and treat everything else as ancillary. Zero has some spoilers for Heaven's Feel and wasn't written by the original author, which is why I don't recommend it to start with (even though I think it's better). In short: UBW->Heaven's Feel->Zero. For everything else the order is arbitrary.

"The kindest person in the room is often the smartest."
Feb 9, 2021 11:20 AM

Aug 2018
Since fate stories are generally self-contained you can start wherever. I would recommend starting with one of the fate/stay night anime but just watch whatever you think looks the best.
_______I like rocks__
Feb 9, 2021 1:09 PM

Jan 2021
Obedio said:
Oh boy... Here we go...

First step, don't listen to fate fans... they want you to spend the next 8 months of your life consuming type-moon media...

I would recommend you just watch Fate/Zero, Then Fate/Stay night Unlimited Blade works, Then Fate/Stay night Heavens feel (The three movies)... Those are the best ones and you'll know where to go next if you want to continue

It's a large series that takes commitment to finish, and I wouldn't discourage someone if they want to watch the series the correct way, which the order you listed would be confusing for the viewer and it wouldn't be the same experience. So please don't spread misinformation.

Here's the correct way to watch the series:

1. Fate/stay night (the original with Saber as the main heroine)
2. Fate/Zero (second season as well)
3. Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (prolouge, first season, second season, sunny days ending, with Rin as the main heroine)
4. Fate/stay night: Heaven's Feel (movie trilogy with Sakura as the main heroine)
5. Fate/Grand Order

The rest of the series, like Fate/Extra Last Encore, and Fate/Apocrypha, are optional and you can watch at any time.
Feb 9, 2021 1:25 PM

Nov 2018
YoGirlLeona said:
Obedio said:
Oh boy... Here we go...

It's a large series that takes commitment to finish, and I wouldn't discourage someone if they want to watch the series the correct way, which the order you listed would be confusing for the viewer and it wouldn't be the same experience. So please don't spread misinformation.

3. Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (prolouge, first season, second season, sunny days ending, with Rin as the main heroine)
4. Fate/stay night: Heaven's Feel (movie trilogy with Sakura as the main heroine)
5. Fate/Grand Order

The rest of the series, like Fate/Extra Last Encore, and Fate/Apocrypha, are optional and you can watch at any time.

My post doesn't qualify as "misinformation", I just said I think that's the best way to watch the fate series. I didn't include the original fate/stay night because it is awful... I dropped it two episodes in because I couldn't handle how bad it was. Even so, I loved all the other series, I didn't feel confused at all.

And, just to finish, the friend up there literally said he wanted to watch the ones made by ufotable... So that's that.
El

Psy

Congroo
Feb 9, 2021 1:30 PM
Aug 2013
YoGirlLeona said:
Obedio said:
Oh boy... Here we go...

5. Fate/Grand Order

No no no! don't listen to this guy that is not the correct order to watch fate at all

The only correct order is
1. Fate / zero (this is liiterally where the whole story begins)
2. Fate stay night (this continues from the ending of fate/zero)
3. Fate stay night ubw
4. Heavens feel (this is literally part 3 of fate stay night)

So there is no other proper order to watch it, my comment is the only correct way to watch it don't listen to anyone else.
~AnimeDownUnder~

Feb 9, 2021 1:30 PM

Jan 2021
Obedio said:
YoGirlLeona said:

5. Fate/Grand Order

My post doesn't qualify as "misinformation", I just said I think that's the best way to watch the fate series. I didn't include the original fate/stay night because it is awful... I dropped it two episodes in because I couldn't handle how bad it was. Even so, I loved all the other series, I didn't feel confused at all.

And, just to finish, the friend up there literally said he wanted to watch the ones made by ufotable... So that's that.

That's subjective, I think the original Fate/stay night was the best of the franchise and I don't discourage others from watching it.
Feb 10, 2021 1:36 AM

Feb 2019
TousifShoumik said:
So many have told me so many different orders to watch it and im genuinely confused.Can anyone tell me the proper/best order to watch the series?And I'm talking about the ones made by ufotable...

You may notice that people have already responded saying Stay Night -> Zero -> UBW -> HF. This is completely incorrect.

The proper order is:

Fate/stay night -> Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works -> Fate/stay night: Heaven's Feel -> Fate/Zero -> The Case Files of Lord El-Melloi II.

And then if you want the order for the rest of the series it's:

Well I for one already loved Lain.
Feb 14, 2021 7:21 AM
Jul 2018
Main Series: (Note: The Series is based on a Visual Novel in which there are 3 main routes Saber, Rin, and Sakura!)

1. Fate/Stay Night (2006)
-This one follows Saber’s Route it’s the first to be made and is produced by Studio Deen it’s not great animation but still a good watch!
-24 Episodes

2. Fate/Stay Night UBW (2014) (aka Unlimited Blade Works)
-This one follows Rin Tohsaka’s Route produced by Ufotable so the animation is freaking badass!
-26 Episodes

3. Fate/Stay Night Heaven’s Feel (2017-2020)
-This one follows Sakura Matou’s Route darkest of the routes also Ufotable did it!
-This one is split into 3 movies the latest one just aired last year so the trilogy is now completed!

4. Fate/Zero
-This one is a prequel to the Fate/Stay Night series following Kiritsugu who is the father figure of Emiya Shirou (The MC of FSN) also Ufotable.
-25 Episodes

Note: In my honest opinion It’s best to watch Fate/Zero last in order to really cherish it. You can start with it first but tbh starting with the alright animation of the first Fate/Stay Night makes you appreciate the Ufotable produced ones more!

Other Fate Series:

Kaleid Series: (Note: This Series MC follows Illya von Einzbern tbh just don’t think about the Main Series since it’s literally it’s own story! And a completely different route.)

1. Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Illya
-10 Episodes, Various OVAs (Tbh these are hit or miss!)

2. Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Illya 2wei!
-10 Episodes, Various OVAs

3. Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Illya 2wei Herz!
-10 Episodes, Various OVAs

4. Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Illya 3rei!
-12 Episodes, Various OVAs

5. Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Illya Sekka no Chikai
-This is a movie it’s pretty awesome and Shirou is a badass in it!

Other Fate/Series: (Note: These ones are outside of Main Series and Can be watched anytime!)

1. Fate/Extra Last Encore
-This follows Kishinami Hakuno who is the MC! This one has Nero Saber (The UmU Saber!) produced by Shaft!
-10 Episodes

2. Fate/Extra Last Encore - Irusterias Tendousetsu
-This is just the last 3 Episodes of the series it’s the final battle of the series!

3. Fate/Apocrypha
-This follows Sieg who is a homunculus also this is the one that has BEST BOI ASTOLFO IN IT!!
-25 Episodes

4. Fate/Grand Order
-This follows MC Ritsuka Fujimaru
-How to watch it: FGO Ep Zero (1 Episode) than the actual series FGO: Absolute Demonic Front: Babylonia (21 Episodes), FGO First Order (This is a Movie), FGO Moonlight/Lostroom (This is a Movie too)
-So 22 Episodes and 2 Movies
-There’s another movie comin out in Japan soon for it as well!

5. Today’s Menu for the Emiya Family
-This is literally just a wholesome anime about Shirou making food! Has an epic Volleyball Scene in it tho! And Food is on point!
-13 Episodes

6. Lord El Melloi II Case Files Rail Zeppelin Grace Note
-This Follows a Side character from Fate/Zero who was a master named Waver Velvet who had King Iskander aka Rider as his servant! Good watch!
-13 Episodes, 1 OVA episode

7. Carnival Phantasm (Note: I strongly suggest watching Tsukihime which is 12 eps before this since this is basically a crossover anime!)
-Basically, it’s like an ISEKAI Quartet but with Type-Moon Animes (Type-Moon is the creator of the Fate Series and Tsukihime Series) Funny as hell! Watch this Last!
-12 Episodes, Various OVAs
Feb 22, 2021 7:18 AM
Jul 2018
yah aapakee madad kar sakata hai

Feb 23, 2021 1:13 AM
Aug 2013
Thigh_Tide said:
TousifShoumik said:

You may notice that people have already responded saying Stay Night -> Zero -> UBW -> HF. This is completely incorrect.

The proper order is:

Fate/stay night -> Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works -> Fate/stay night: Heaven's Feel -> Fate/Zero -> The Case Files of Lord El-Melloi II.

And then if you want the order for the rest of the series it's:

No you're wrong and I hate how all you people suggest this... Fate zero is literally the beginning of the whole story. Fate zero ends and literally at the end of zero you see Shirou emiya as a kid then fate stay night continues from the end of fate zero and focuses on shirou emiya once he's grown up. So the correct order is fate zero before fate stay. There is literally no other correct order since this is the story from beginning to end. Fate zero being the beginning and fate stay actually continuing from the end of zero. Maybe you's need to go rewatch the ending of fate zero where they show you Shirou emiya as a kid this is proof the timeline is based before the timeline in fate stay, basically in the past.
~AnimeDownUnder~

Feb 23, 2021 2:11 AM

Feb 2019
@AnimeDownUnder

You are embarrassingly incorrect.

Fate/Zero was originally released in 2006 as a Light Novel, written and intended to be read with the prerequisite knowledge of the events of Fate/stay night, the 2004 Visual Novel.

What is confusing you, not that I expect that would take much, is that Fate/Zero is a prequel. This means that within the series chronology, the events portrayed occur earlier than in the previous instalment, but it is still imperative that the audience is familiar with said previous instalment, just as they would be with a sequel.

If you cannot comprehend non-linear storytelling, I suggest you find something more your speed, sluggish though it may be.
Feb 26, 2021 12:43 AM
Aug 2013
Thigh_Tide said:
@AnimeDownUnder

You are embarrassingly incorrect.

Fate/Zero was originally released in 2006 as a Light Novel, written and intended to be read with the prerequisite knowledge of the events of Fate/stay night, the 2004 Visual Novel.

What is confusing you, not that I expect that would take much, is that Fate/Zero is a prequel. This means that within the series chronology, the events portrayed occur earlier than in the previous instalment, but it is still imperative that the audience is familiar with said previous instalment, just as they would be with a sequel.

If you cannot comprehend non-linear storytelling, I suggest you find something more your speed, sluggish though it may be.

Nope, you're using release date as a somewhat incorrect way to say what order to watch it but actually the release date order couldn't be more incorrect. Fate stay 2006 came first, but fate zero is actually set before fate stay night and is where the story begins. Even in fate stay 2006 shirou emiya is grown up, yet in fate zero at the end he is a tiny kid and you do not read a story from ending to the start backwards that's very wrong and just confusing. Never watch anime backwards either. Fate zero should always be the first of the fate series you start with there is no other correct answer and giving chronological order is not a correct answer either in the case with fate
~AnimeDownUnder~

Feb 26, 2021 1:24 AM

Feb 2019
@AnimeDownUnder

The same humiliating mistake again. Perhaps you need it in simpler words:

"Fate/Zero is set before Fate/stay night," correct, but it is not "where the story begins."

Some stories choose to have their successors go back and portray an event that happened in the past of the original. The Fate/ Series is one of them. Get your miniscule head around it.

And if that's still too complex, how about a little logic problem for you: Why would Kinoko Nasu write a VN that you are supposed to read after a LN that won't come out for another 2 years?
O_T_TFeb 26, 2021 5:02 AM
Feb 26, 2021 3:42 AM
Aug 2013
Thigh_Tide said:
@AnimeDownUnder

The same humiliating mistake again. Perhaps you need it in simpler words:

"Fate/Zero is set before Fate/stay night," correct, but it is not "where the story begins."

Some stories choose to have their successors go back and portray an event that happened in the past of the original. The Fate/ Series is one of them. Get your miniscule head around it.

And if that's still too complex, how about a little logic problem for you: why Kinoko Nasu would write a VN that you are supposed to read after a LN that won't come out for another 2 years?

But that is actually where the story begins, dude you're trying to hard to make me literally spoil the anime you want me to spoil the anime or what? that is where the story begins and that is the actual leading events what happen right before the start of fate stay night. Like I said you don't read book backwards and you do not watch anime backwards...you keep saying that the correct order is to watch it backwards basically to watch the ending before the beginning...yikes!!
~AnimeDownUnder~

Feb 26, 2021 4:41 AM

Jan 2017
AnimeDownUnder said:

But that is actually where the story begins, dude you're trying to hard to make me literally spoil the anime you want me to spoil the anime or what? that is where the story begins and that is the actual leading events what happen right before the start of fate stay night. Like I said you don't read book backwards and you do not watch anime backwards...you keep saying that the correct order is to watch it backwards basically to watch the ending before the beginning...yikes!!

I'll butt in , sorry for that.

The fact that Zero end before the start of the Stay Nights just mean that the story take place before chronogically , but it was written so that you are supposed to already know the Stay Nights stories.

for a simple example , i'll take Naruto & Shingeki no Kyojin.

So i don't get why people want to watch the Fate Series in chronological order , when they won't with others Series.
There is a lot of thing you can say to criticize the Stay Nights & praise Zero , but the "It's the start" is not one of those.
Plus , if you truly want to look at the start of the story of Fate , you should start with Garden Of Avalon , or for the start of the universe , Mahoutsukai no Yoru.

On top of all that , in the end , Zero is just a massive spin-off and not part of the Main Story. It's written by another writer & even contradict the main stories in some parts. If it wasn't Urobochi , it would have ended being a fan-fiction.

Alexioos95Feb 26, 2021 4:50 AM
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... & hungry."
– Alexioos95.
Feb 26, 2021 5:01 AM

Feb 2019
@Alexioos95 above put it very well, thank you.
Feb 26, 2021 5:11 AM
Aug 2013
Alexioos95 said:
AnimeDownUnder said:

I'll butt in , sorry for that.

The fact that Zero end before the start of the Stay Nights just mean that the story take place before chronogically , but it was written so that you are supposed to already know the Stay Nights stories.

for a simple example , i'll take Naruto & Shingeki no Kyojin.

So i don't get why people want to watch the Fate Series in chronological order , when they won't with others Series.
There is a lot of thing you can say to criticize the Stay Nights & praise Zero , but the "It's the start" is not one of those.
Plus , if you truly want to look at the start of the story of Fate , you should start with Garden Of Avalon , or for the start of the universe , Mahoutsukai no Yoru.

On top of all that , in the end , Zero is just a massive spin-off and not part of the Main Story. It's written by another writer & even contradict the main stories in some parts. If it wasn't Urobochi , it would have ended being a fan-fiction.

Here's my problem, fate zero is literally the beginning of the story and it's when you find out every single detail. Fate stay is part 2 of the story and heavens feel is just part 3 of fate stay night. So there's no other way to watch it this is literally beginning to end and the proper way to watch it.

I understand what you're saying but the way you're suggesting people watch fate is basically like having a whole 2 seasons of flashback. And I don't think that is a good idea at all. Flashbacks suck...to avoid it seeming like all flashbacks. Just watch it the proper order from beginning to end rather than middle of the story, then the beginning and then skipping back to heavens feel after which just the worst order you can watch it. That's like running half way in a race, going back to the start and then running back to the middle and continuing from there again. My question is why would you purposely ruin the experience for yourself like that?

If you watch fate zero after stay night, that literally is just a huge flashback, but 2 whole seasons of flashback. Yikes!!!!
~AnimeDownUnder~

Feb 26, 2021 5:28 AM

Jan 2017
AnimeDownUnder said:
Here's my problem, fate zero is literally the beginning of the story and it's when you find out every single detail. Fate stay is part 2 of the story and heavens feel is just part 3 of fate stay night. So there's no other way to watch it this is literally beginning to end and the proper way to watch it.

I understand what you're saying but the way you're suggesting people watch fate is basically like having a whole 2 seasons of flashback. And I don't think that is a good idea at all. Flashbacks suck...to avoid it seeming like all flashbacks. Just watch it the proper order from beginning to end rather than middle of the story, then the beginning and then skipping back to heavens feel after which just the worst order you can watch it. That's like running half way in a race, going back to the start and then running back to the middle and continuing from there again. My question is why would you purposely ruin the experience for yourself like that?

If you watch fate zero after stay night, that literally is just a huge flashback, but 2 whole seasons of flashback. Yikes!!!!

2 Seasons of flashback , this is literally how it was meant to be.
You can find it unconfortable , but that's how it was made. (Same as Star Wars by the way.)
I honestly think it's more unconfortable to go back at the beginning at each route. (But it's a problem tied to the fact that it's from a Visual Novel.)

You seems to have a problem with flashback , but it's one of your problem , not one of the rest of the world.
As i said , there is a lot to say to criticize Stay Nights & praise Zero , but you are the first one i've seen that say it's unconfortable to watch Zero after because it's a flashback.

So in the end , you missuse the word "proper".

Oh , and if we were saying to watch Zero before Heaven's Feel , it was because there was no adaptation back then , & most people didn't want to read. (Damn pleb.)
Now that there is the trilogy movie adaptation , there is no point on watching Zero in the middle of the Stay Nights. (And neither me nor
Thigh_Tide said that in this thread.)
Alexioos95Feb 26, 2021 5:34 AM
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... & hungry."
– Alexioos95.

More topics from this board

» 150 Chapters Manhwa/Manhua

Nizalich - Apr 21

3 by duchessliz87 »»
3 hours ago

» New(ish) Manga Reader in Need of Recommendations!

Wakarimas-en - Yesterday

4 by ToG25thBaam »»
3 hours ago

» Similar animes to Tengoku Daimakyou ( 1 2 )

Salvaged - Apr 21

69 by WatchTillTandava »»
4 hours ago

» Anime that have all female guilds/clubs/groups/living places, etc

GakutoDeathGlare - 5 hours ago

0 by GakutoDeathGlare »»
5 hours ago

» Planning to watch Sousou no Frieren

WitchDoc - Apr 18

10 by Faisal-Abdulhadi »»
11 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.