Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Feb 2, 2021 2:08 PM
Jan 2021
StormxNightmare said:
Gallyleo said:
Sure, just blatantly ignore all the BL series and movies coming out in Japan to fit your agenda...

Just because western media is chained by Twitter mobs' demands in a way that they can only make straight white people into villains anymore, doesn't mean that Japan should follow suit and stop their creators from expressing themselves freely. There are good and evil people in every class, race, sexual orientation and nationality, and there's nothing wrong in expressing that in media. Get tf over yourself.

Name a single non-villain, non-creepy gay anime character who isn't from a BL anime.
Yeah, there are barely any and they pale in comparison to the evil-gay-stereotype.
Adam wouldn't even be a "straight, white" villain if he wasn't gay coded. He's japanese for all we know. And he can be a gay villain, it's just disappointing that that's nearly the only way gay characters are ever portrayed in non BL anime.

The episode was great as always.
Adam is a great villain so far imo. I understand that people are upset about Reki's treatment tho, he's kinda like a punching bag to make Langa seem better ^^'

Well, Bulat from Akame Ga Kill, confirmed as gay but still a normal cool guy (acutally my favorite character from the anime). Not a villain. Not creepy. Just a strong fighter and cool aniki that happens to be gay
DontgiveupFeb 2, 2021 5:22 PM
Feb 2, 2021 2:53 PM

Feb 2015
Dontgiveup said:
StormxNightmare said:

Name a single non-villain, non-creepy gay anime character who isn't from a BL anime.
Yeah, there are barely any and they pale in comparison to the evil-gay-stereotype.
Adam wouldn't even be a "straight, white" villain if he wasn't gay coded. He's japanese for all we know. And he can be a gay villain, it's just disappointing that that's nearly the only way gay characters are ever portrayed in non BL anime.

Adam is a great villain so far imo. I understand that people are upset about Reki's treatment tho, he's kinda like a punching bag to make Langa seem better ^^'

Well, Bulat from Akame Ga Kill, confirmed as gay but still a normal cool guy (acutally my favorite character from the anime). Not a villain. Not creepy. Just a strong fighter and cool aniki that just happens to be gay

True, he's a great example :)
There's no possible way you can steal my heart

I want to drown in this sweet Melancholy
Feb 2, 2021 3:51 PM
May 2019
I'm honestly a bit shocked that so many people in-world like Adam as much as they do. Yeah, he's killer at skateboarding, no doubt about that! But what a creepy, uncomfortable dickwad.
Feb 3, 2021 5:37 AM
Jan 2021
i really hope rekki can turn his losing streak around before he becomes yamcha
Feb 3, 2021 10:21 AM

Nov 2019
It's interesting to see so many viewers consider a character's worth by how much they're 'winning'..
Feb 4, 2021 7:16 AM

Mar 2009
[quote=StormxNightmare message=61890357][quote=Dontgiveup message=61890091]
StormxNightmare said:
Gallyleo said:
Sure, just blatantly ignore all the BL series and movies coming out in Japan to fit your agenda...

Just because western media is chained by Twitter mobs' demands in a way that they can only make straight white people into villains anymore, doesn't mean that Japan should follow suit and stop their creators from expressing themselves freely. There are good and evil people in every class, race, sexual orientation and nationality, and there's nothing wrong in expressing that in media. Get tf over yourself.

WTF is queer/gay coded?
Feb 4, 2021 7:26 AM

Feb 2015
Nagadir-chan said:
WTF is queer/gay coded?

The subtextual portrayal of a queer/gay character in the media whose identity is not explicitly confirmed within canon. Or simply: implied to be gay/queer (like Adam is extremely affectionate/touchy towards Langa).

Feb 4, 2021 8:09 AM

Mar 2009
StormxNightmare said:
Nagadir-chan said:
WTF is queer/gay coded?

The subtextual portrayal of a queer/gay character in the media whose identity is not explicitly confirmed within canon. Or simply: implied to be gay/queer (like Adam is extremely affectionate/touchy towards Langa).

So affectionate, touchy males are always implied to be gays or is it just stereotyping? Are there no straight males which are flamboyant/affectionate/touchy? Or when this type of males appears it is immediately assumed he is gay/queer?
Just asking.
I usually love these kind of characters and Adam so far is best thing in this anime.
Feb 4, 2021 8:17 AM

Feb 2015
Nagadir-chan said:
So affectionate, touchy males are always implied to be gays or is it just stereotyping? Are there no straight males which are flamboyant/affectionate/touchy? Or when this type of males appears it is immediately assumed he is gay/queer?
Just asking.
I usually love these kind of characters and Adam so far is best thing in this anime.

Hm, no I wouldn't say that.
The reason I'd describe Adam as gay/queer coded is that he pretty much embodies the "predetory gay" stereotype (tall & muscular, stronger than the male character he's interested in/obsessed with, touches others without consent and so on).
Not every affectionate male or flamboyant male has to be gay/queer ofc! I personally wouldn't really call characters that act like that torwards their friends gay coded for example.
There's also nothing wrong with liking characters like Adam, you like what you like ^^

Feb 4, 2021 8:43 AM

Mar 2009
StormxNightmare said:
Nagadir-chan said:
Just asking.

Hm, no I wouldn't say that.
The reason I'd describe Adam as gay/queer coded is that he pretty much embodies the "predetory gay" stereotype (tall & muscular, stronger than the male character he's interested in/obsessed with, touches others without consent and so on).
Not every affectionate male or flamboyant male has to be gay/queer ofc! I personally wouldn't really call characters that act like that torwards their friends gay coded for example.
There's also nothing wrong with liking characters like Adam, you like what you like ^^

Oh... interesting...
Knowing how people reacts to certain things or what they expect or what gets on their nerves, what are exact stereotypes with different things.
Just taking inspirational notes =)
Feb 5, 2021 3:40 AM

May 2020
I never knew a skating anime can be so terrifying and awesome...
Feb 5, 2021 4:20 AM

Jul 2013
Lol. For a show about skating, this is starting to feel a lot like NTR. Hopefully they don't take it too far.
Feb 5, 2021 4:44 AM

Apr 2015
authors write gay coded villains because it works. its an easy way to make fujoshis watch your show. and like it or not, authors DO want to win the attention of fujoshi audience.
Feb 5, 2021 5:21 AM

Mar 2015
Damn Adam, littering on the skate track? His evil knows no bounds.

Watching this race almost felt like reading a mind break doujin wtf
Feb 5, 2021 5:54 AM
Jul 2018
HannahEdits said:
To be honest, Langa was my favorite character episodes 1-2, but now I just want more scenes of Reki. I'm literally doing a whole 180.. Reki might become my favorite if they don't give him any attention, because it's unfair to see Reki's dreams be given to his new friend.

Agreed. Reki is an underrated MC so far. I love his stance against skate so much.
Feb 5, 2021 8:17 PM

Aug 2017
eqorio said:
just me or ADAM is giving me very much DIO from jjba vibes

your not the only one seeing and feeling it! It was too good u can't take your eyes off of him! Damn you Adam!!!

Feb 5, 2021 9:13 PM

Oct 2017
Wow Adam is on a completely different level than the other skaters. Also damn Reki has been completely crushed, wonder how many bones he broke.
Feb 6, 2021 12:53 AM
Mar 2018
Man, an intense race. Loved all the style and effort the put in the race. Hopefully Reki is okay. Wonder what Adam will do to Langa.

Feb 6, 2021 1:31 PM
May 2019
eqorio said:
that’s exactly what I was thinking. I can’t help but imagine Skater Dio.
Feb 7, 2021 1:40 PM
Nov 2019
I mean I knew that Reki was going to loose but DAMN I didn't expect it to be that horrifying for him Adam is literally insane
Feb 7, 2021 3:06 PM

Mar 2010
Adam is one crazy mofo. Guess hes too pent up from his aunts. Rip Reki
Feb 8, 2021 3:49 PM
Jul 2018
Adam and amazing lol how will this guy manage to make these movements.
Feb 8, 2021 6:37 PM

Jun 2014
I wasn't expecting Reki to win at this point. This is like going up against Gades in Lufia II for the first time. You just aren't powerful enough.

Adam is truly evil. Reki is in rough shape, and now Langa has to face him. Will be able to fare better?

Feb 10, 2021 7:31 PM
Jan 2020
The match with ADAM was crazy. He knows his tricks, especially the LOVE HUG. Dang it, Reki fell.
Mar 1, 2021 9:11 PM

Sep 2018
Adam looks like a maniac! He's so creepy!!!!!! Reki is weak, it's a bad thing to challenge Adam! He's like fighting a big boss while he's still a newbie >,<
Mar 2, 2021 12:22 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Adam wants to destroy his opponents, it's not a skating race anymore it's a murder attempt... xD it's sad for Reki, but now Langa will have to revenge him against Adam I suppose
Mar 3, 2021 6:27 AM

Apr 2020
This episode is so good. We can see the tension, the smile under the tension, and friendship from it, which makes it easy for you to enter the competitive and confrontational atmosphere. The artwork is excellent, the action is smooth, and the character design is perfect. Reki has a high EQ, and he's very careful and considerate. Langa is very decisive and straightforward. Miya is cute. And Shadow, I thought he was a mob role, but I didn't expect him to have many parts in the show. His character is also very cute, and he feels like a reliable uncle when he's not skateboarding.

Adam is creepier than expected, and with Koyasu's voice, it feels like "it's not unusual for the character to do such a thing." The time when Adam and Reki skateboarded together is really crazy and exciting. If it were me in that situation, I would have been scared crazy!

Anyway, it was a wonderful process! Reki is just an ordinary person who loves skateboarding, so normally he couldn't win, but he used the extra skill in the competition, which shows his efforts and determination not to give up!

Thanks to Bones' superb artstyle and performance and the excellent voice acting of Reki, I was able to feel the "horror and excitement" in such an "immersive" way, with a strong sense of immersion!

Mar 8, 2021 3:26 AM
Dec 2020
eqorio said:
I mean they have the same VA and all
Mar 9, 2021 11:23 PM

Aug 2015
I came back to rewatch this episode dubbed and just.... ADAM. *CHEF'S KISS* The voice actor is SO extra I LOVE it.
Mar 14, 2021 10:38 PM

Aug 2017
Oh, Adam is quite dangerous. I wonder what's going to happend to Langa now.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Mar 31, 2021 12:21 PM

Nov 2016
Starting with the opening and VA, Adam giving unmistakable Dio vibes.

Hype episode.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 2, 2021 10:08 AM

Jul 2019
This was the best episode so far
Apr 11, 2021 9:28 AM
Jun 2020
Uh oh,, getting pedo vibes from Adam...
Apr 27, 2021 4:25 PM

Aug 2018
I'm really loving this show so far three episodes in and everything about this anime is awesome and Finally, my boy is getting some spotlight for Reki .but something tells me he is gonna lose in the match against Adam AKA (DIO)
Overall 8 Out of 10
May 22, 2021 1:51 PM

Feb 2017
Another initial D scenes nice
May 23, 2021 11:53 AM

May 2018
Adam's a fucking lunatic. He's not even a likeable lunatic. Just a lunatic. He reminds of Hisoka from HxH. But, Hisoka's likeable, hell, he's loveable!

"Are you intoxicated, or just insane?"
Jun 7, 2021 9:46 AM

Jul 2015
ADAM definitely is in a tier of his own, at least Reki didn't give up midway through the race there despite being outclassed.

Aug 4, 2021 4:05 PM
Sep 2018
Adam is way too strong but I like the determination and the prestation of Reki. Hype to see Langa vs Adam.
Sep 17, 2021 1:26 AM

May 2019
Right into the drama and suspense at the start.

Nice to get to know Joe a bit better and I'm very curious about his and Cherry Blossom's history with Adam.

Miya's helping, awww.

Good god, I laugh so hard at this, a few hilarious moments:
-Shadow at his day job and his flower car
-The guys at the burger joint fighting while Langa just eats away nonplused

Adam's skating is so intense. That whole scene was amazing.

I'm betting Langa's going to try and go uphill.

Oct 26, 2022 1:56 PM

Jan 2021
Adam.... You are just a huge pervert...
Apr 24, 2023 2:19 PM
Dec 2018
That's the perfect VA for this guy.
May 5, 2023 6:19 PM

Oct 2022
I wish they bring more attention to Reki tho cause he makes those cool skateboards for Langa and plus he's he protag he should have some time to shine.

Jan 31, 4:58 AM
Apr 2021
I'll write about it here because Langa's behavior at Adam's appearance right here is very telling. In the anime, there is a lot of emphasis on masks. It is implied that both main characters wear masks as well. Reki's mask is that of a cheerful, goofy daredevil. Langa's mask is a stone face and, when confronted with frightening and exciting circumstances, an attempt to portray the mentally challenged. And in the very first moments of the episode, when Reki challenges Adam to a duel
, Langa's mask falls off of him for a few moments, revealing his true, perfectly normal face. And when Adam starts circling around him, the goofball mask returns.
TobimarooJan 31, 5:33 AM
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Langa's relationship with reki ( 1 2 )

Old_School_Akira - May 7, 2022

65 by Tobimaroo »»
Mar 10, 3:11 AM

Poll: » SK∞ Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2021

147 by Tobimaroo »»
Mar 4, 5:21 AM

Poll: » SK∞ Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Apr 3, 2021

210 by Tobimaroo »»
Jan 30, 4:56 AM

» SK8 the Infinity Event & Bucchigiri!?

OnlyAraku - Dec 31, 2023

8 by OnlyAraku »»
Jan 9, 12:56 PM

» Redundant

OnlyAraku - Dec 31, 2023

0 by OnlyAraku »»
Dec 31, 2023 8:47 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.