Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
So I'm a Spider, So What? (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 29, 2021 5:00 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
That's survival of the fittest in a nutshell. Whatever the case, Kumoko got herself into the situation where only the strongest can survive among the monsters.

Pretty amusing to see Kumoko going out of her way to survive in any way possible by using every ability a spider can use in that world. So much web spinning! And lol, the nosebleed. She really knows what's at stake here.
Jan 29, 2021 6:53 AM

Jul 2017
LELS Kumoko literally is living through the "survival of the fittest" life. Well that "ending" image got me good when she tries to eat monsters that sucked her HP instead to near-death.

Lots of empty space on the Lower Stratum, but then....monkeys in the dungeon. Can be defeated, and definitely tastier than the insects. But as if that's not enough, a horde of them? Quite the challenge "to be killed or survive" and grinding of leveling up as gaining XP goes for a vailant fight of shredding time and time again anew.

The whole monkey arc was quite long, and already into the Middle Stratum with another dragon???
Jan 29, 2021 6:55 AM

Jan 2020
Damn I really enjoyed this week's episode!

Kumoko's going up against even tougher enemies but, as we know, she can make it through it. She was really toughing it out this episode. She used, like, every ability at her disposal and she was definitely saved a lot by leveling up. I guess she can rely on that when she's going against higher level enemies.

She's finally making it further up, too! But dang... all that lava. And that dragon? Better be careful, Kumoko!
Jan 29, 2021 7:03 AM
Oct 2016
Kumoko first big battle! Taking on an army of evil monkeys. Those things were relentless. Kumoko eating one beforehand really pissed them off. Lots of zipping around with her webs which looked awesome. The CG looked great with that many moving parts its kinda necessary to have CG so the scene can do lots of those wide shots. Personally I thought it looked good. Kumoko herself being a mix of 2D and CG between the different shots and the monkeys being all CG since there were so damn many. Kumoko had to level up and regenerate more than a few times to beat them all but she did it! Took down not only the army of monkeys but those evolved ones too. Whom were even stronger than the regular monkeys and nearly got Kumoko themselves. Well she survived her first big fight and is now in some hot water, I mean lava.
Jan 29, 2021 7:07 AM
Sep 2015
This episode spent 100% of its time inside the dungeon, very bold.
Jan 29, 2021 7:13 AM

Jan 2014
Great episode, watching her fight all those monkeys was quite epic. Loved it.
Jan 29, 2021 7:16 AM

Jun 2014
Loved the episode. Felt the struggle was real. Next episode: The floor is lava.
Jan 29, 2021 7:20 AM

Jul 2017
Finally the show ended, thanks for watching guys. LMAO.

A very cool fight in this eps, Kumoko is actually got cornered there, quite thrilling to witness, especially when they throw that big rock, was worried as hell when she got that life-threatening wound, glad she got healed as she leveled up. She might not gonna be fine tho next eps because that lava looks hot af XD

The CGIs of the fight looks quite nice, even the CGI of the monkeys, couldn't really ask for a more cooler-looking one. Also the OST used just made it better.

Jan 29, 2021 7:21 AM

Jan 2011
these monkey design really funny
the best thing they focus on the spider this time
Jan 29, 2021 7:34 AM
Oct 2010
I always imagined the big monkeys to be much bigger than this, but that didn't stop me from enjoying this episode! Pretty good fighting animation all things considered, even with cgi.

My only sadness is that we're getting the LN version of our spider, instead of her more badass webnovel version, but I knew that years ago.

Aug 2013
An episode focused entirely on our little spider.

Good thing Kumoko survived against the monkeys. This was her hardest fight tho I'm expecting the fights to get more dangerous onwards.

May 2014
Good action scene (with so-so but passable CGI), but I am still waiting for the interesting story developments. Judging by the pacing, it should take a few more episodes. Maybe in the episode 6-8 range we will get somewhere.
TheDeedsOfMenJan 31, 2021 7:08 PM
Jan 29, 2021 7:47 AM
Dec 2020
to be honest I liked this ep more than the other eps (even though i gave it 3/5) because this time it was only kumoko's story and not some random ass people's story. plus it had the feel that the manga, even though their animation isn't good and they didn't stick to the original story which in turn result in feeling no emotion at all when kumoko won for the first time instead running away.

honestly they should stick to the manga, which nailed in projection of emotion that kumoko felt to the reader
Jan 29, 2021 7:53 AM

Mar 2015
Didnt like the dragon at first scene seemed little off other than that it was nice as always.
Jan 29, 2021 7:55 AM

Nov 2016
"I love being toxic" lmao

You did great Kumoko-chan;_; but things will only get more difficult. Looking forward to what this lava stage has to offer.

That was another extremely entertaining episode. Had a lot to laugh, felt exciting and the victory was just a joy. Never expected so much from this series.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 29, 2021 8:00 AM
Jan 2021
Sai_ddy said:
to be honest I liked this ep more than the other eps (even though i gave it 3/5) because this time it was only kumoko's story and not some random ass people's story. plus it had the feel that the manga, even though their animation isn't good and they didn't stick to the original story which in turn result in feeling no emotion at all when kumoko won for the first time instead running away.

honestly they should stick to the manga, which nailed in projection of emotion that kumoko felt to the reader

This attitude irritates me, because the manga is leaving out a lot of important content from the Light Novel. I agree that the CG is kinda laughable, but Shun, Katia, Fei and the other humans are a full half of the story in the light novel, and this adaptation seems to be of that side of things, which tbh, is for the best, even despite it's animation.
Jan 29, 2021 8:02 AM
Jan 2021
TheDeedsOfMen said:
Good action scene and decent CGI, but I am still waiting for the interesting story developments. Judging by the pacing, it should take a few more episodes. Maybe in the episode 6-8 range we will get somewhere.

Possibly. In terms of 'story' Kumoko is gonna be doing what she's been for another 2-3 episodes. Most of the plot revelations are gonna happen on the human Reincarnation sides.
Jan 29, 2021 8:05 AM
Sep 2020
After watching this episode i increased my rating from 8 to 9, i love this show now
Jan 29, 2021 8:12 AM

Jun 2019
One thing I learnt is that MONKE are dangerous. :P
Jan 29, 2021 8:16 AM

Mar 2017
It was a pretty hectic episode - Kumo's in Darwin's world now. The spider adventure is the best part of the show so I was happy with it. The more advanced monkeys looked pretty good, while the run off the mill monkeys were very goofy.
Jan 29, 2021 8:44 AM

Nov 2010
Kumoko farming those lvls!

The art of the monkeys looked pretty lazy tho.
Jan 29, 2021 9:08 AM

Jul 2010
I can't believe we are at episode 4 and still doing boring RPG jerking instead of starting the plot. Also WTF is wrong with the comments above, the CGI is shit, this barely reaches what we could do 20 years ago.
Jan 29, 2021 9:15 AM

Jul 2014
On one hand it was fun, on the other the CG is pretty crappy outside of Kumoko, Jesus. This is also the first episode without the humans.... It helped that it was pretty packed for the spider.
Jan 29, 2021 9:33 AM

Sep 2019
The monkeys’ cg was hilarious. Kumo was going to die but she leveled up.

Reject humanity, return to monke.
Jan 29, 2021 9:33 AM

Oct 2017
I liked this anime and it is really fun but there are two things I want to know if they are going to be adapted or where I can find the information.

1 How do reincarnated people meet and find each other?
2 Will she meet her classmates in these 24 episodes?
If these two things are likely to be adapted let me know, please.
Jan 29, 2021 9:34 AM
Jan 2018
Have to be honest, not a big fan of the fast/hectic pace of this episode. Would have liked it to linger on the various developments of the ape war a bit more. The LN and manga version of this fight felt much more like a hopeless war of attrition where you felt her resources running out every second.
Jan 29, 2021 9:37 AM
Sep 2020
Beatrice-KF said:
I can't believe we are at episode 4 and still doing boring RPG jerking instead of starting the plot. Also WTF is wrong with the comments above, the CGI is shit, this barely reaches what we could do 20 years ago.
How is the cgi shit, I'm not saying it's good but there's cgi in other anime that are 100x worse
Jan 29, 2021 9:39 AM

Feb 2019
I hated the CGI today with the monkeys but I know I’ll be in the minority on that. Overall, the episode was still really fun. I think this series shines brightest when it’s kumoko taking on the dungeon and fighting for her life. I like the school kids a lot too, but they need some more development before we dedicate whole episodes to them.

Really ingenious and crafty way to deal with the enemies today. Good job kumoko!
Jan 29, 2021 9:40 AM

Dec 2013
I enjoyed this episode a lot more since there were no bits with the other students, so much better when it is 20 mins full of Aoi Yuuk and her struggles as a spider.
Jan 29, 2021 9:43 AM

Oct 2014
This was my favorite episode because it didn't waste any time on the boring students. Though the action looks mediocre, I love Spider-Girl and how she fought off the monkey monsters. Her voice acting really sold how much danger she was in.
Jan 29, 2021 9:44 AM

Jun 2015
This show is one good reason to look forward to Fridays. Its great fun!
To have you, Id give a billion lives A-Chan best girl
Jan 29, 2021 9:45 AM
Mar 2020
I also can't understand what's good about the CGI! It just looks so damn bad.
And the episode was 70% CGI only. Horrible.
The monkeys looked completely unnatural.
Jan 29, 2021 9:54 AM

Jul 2010
HoloKill said:
Beatrice-KF said:
How is the cgi shit, I'm not saying it's good but there's cgi in other anime that are 100x worse

I can't look at your anime list to see if you have anything comparable to this, but if you want at least similar single pass low-polygon phong stuff (that is, among the bottom of the barrel, you only learn this kind of rendering as part of introductory courses at school and to get you to learn the tools before learning more interesting stuff) you can go watch the more recent Berserk animes (actually they were done by the same studio), Arifureta (most notable is the dragon/hydra scene). Ex-Arm (current season, at least in this one, not everything looks like plastic). Of course a lot of animes are frequently inserting cheap CGI shots nowadays but at least they have the decency of not going full retard like this.
Jan 29, 2021 10:09 AM

Jan 2015
Thank god they didn’t mess up the monkey fight. Probably one of my favorites from the LN. CGI was bearable this time. The dragon tho...

Middle layer arc starts now. Good, my favorite arc from the LN

Pretty good episode
Jan 29, 2021 10:14 AM

Feb 2018
Now that's what's Kumo desu ga is about, hardcore survival. Though I gotta ask, was the monkey fight like that on the LN? she spent DAYS fighting those guys in the WN...

edit: just reread and it just felt like days, the fight was 1:1 with the WN, my bad
Primo_ItokoJan 29, 2021 5:09 PM
Jan 29, 2021 10:15 AM
May 2020
Let's not beat around the bush, the CG was fucking terrible.

Now I have not read that far in the LN but I have caught up with the manga. Now you are free to disagree with me here but the adaptation seems to be missing the point of this kind of story. This is progression fantasy, where the driving element of the narrative is the acquisition of power through things like level-ups and new abilities. I didn't enjoy the story because of how quirky Kumoko is or the promise of having a plot at some point but because I wanted to see her gain new abilities and takedown new enemies. The anime seems to be speedrunning these aspects in favor of getting to what I assume is the plot later on. The problem is that if you disregard the power acquisition aspect of the story, you aren't really left with much. There is barely any worldbuilding with substance, we got a cave on one end and a school on the other, characters are about as deep as a thimble, and the plot is still hiding. Now as LN readers will probably point out, all these things are probably introduced later, but coming from a pure anime perspective, having gone 4 episodes and still having this little to show for it is pretty weak.

Even ignoring all the technical issues around the animation and directing itself, right now all that is left is a progression fantasy where we skip over all the actual progression. There might be a plot later on that redeems all this but for now, it just feels kinda pointless.
Jan 29, 2021 10:18 AM
Sep 2020
Beatrice-KF said:
HoloKill said:

I can't look at your anime list to see if you have anything comparable to this, but if you want at least similar single pass low-polygon phong stuff (that is, among the bottom of the barrel, you only learn this kind of rendering as part of introductory courses at school and to get you to learn the tools before learning more interesting stuff) you can go watch the more recent Berserk animes (actually they were done by the same studio), Arifureta (most notable is the dragon/hydra scene). Ex-Arm (current season, at least in this one, not everything looks like plastic). Of course a lot of animes are frequently inserting cheap CGI shots nowadays but at least they have the decency of not going full retard like this.
The cgi in berserk 2016 was done by GEMBA and not Millepensee, and the cgi in this is being done by exsa
Jan 29, 2021 10:27 AM

Mar 2013
I was mostly disappointed. If you ask why, they didn't portray
. There were quite many things Kumoko thought of in the Manga, many dialogues that would make you truly understand how her character works but wasn't animated or even given meaning to her actions. Its like a slapdash animation and this was
. Its ruining the full potential of the story.

mcbignuts said:

Now I have not read that far in the LN but I have caught up with the manga. Now you are free to disagree with me here but the adaptation seems to be missing the point of this kind of story. This is progression fantasy, where the driving element of the narrative is the acquisition of power through things like level-ups and new abilities. I didn't enjoy the story because of how quirky Kumoko is or the promise of having a plot at some point but because I wanted to see her gain new abilities and takedown new enemies. The anime seems to be speedrunning these aspects in favor of getting to what I assume is the plot later on. The problem is that if you disregard the power acquisition aspect of the story, you aren't really left with much. There is barely any worldbuilding with substance, we got a cave on one end and a school on the other, characters are about as deep as a thimble, and the plot is still hiding. Now as LN readers will probably point out, all these things are probably introduced later, but coming from a pure anime perspective, having gone 4 episodes and still having this little to show for it is pretty weak.

Even ignoring all the technical issues around the animation and directing itself, right now all that is left is a progression fantasy where we skip over all the actual progression. There might be a plot later on that redeems all this but for now, it just feels kinda pointless.

I totally agree. On the part of story telling the progress of power acquisition was ignored. I am deeply disappointed on the project at this point.
CrazyButNot4UJan 29, 2021 10:34 AM
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Jan 29, 2021 10:55 AM

Nov 2009
As anime only viewer, this is the best ep. so far. CGi could have been better but since the fight is very enjoyable and fun to watch, I easily can forgive them.

To Manga/Novel readers: from my perspective as anime only viewer, this ep. perfectly present Kumoko's hardship and her strong will to survive through her face expression, her body language and inner dialogue. And when she got any new skill, the anime made sure to make me understand the reason why she got those skill. At this point, I don't feel anything in the story is missing or there is anything that need extra explanation from the source material to understand.

So don't worry, the anime version doesn't bad as you think (at least from my view point). And I am sure if get to read the source material one day in the future, I will like it even more.

Jan 29, 2021 10:55 AM

Jul 2016
Damn the cgi was bad, usually its alright but this time holy shit.
Jan 29, 2021 11:11 AM

Nov 2011
It's nice to see Kumoko actually get beat up, losing a leg and then half her body was pretty rough but we knew leveling would bring her back. Sucks that we as viewers know that when she does take heavy damage leveling up heals her.

But at least they put a lot of effort into her fight which does make it better.

Pretty decent episode. Still waiting to see if she meets up with her Classmates.

Also curious is she can talk to humans AND why doesn't she just look to leave the dungeon.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Jan 29, 2021 11:13 AM

Jun 2019
It really sucks how bad the 3D monsters look. The camerawork for the fights is dynamic and engaging, but the poor CGI single-handedly imposes a low ceiling for this anime. It’s a shame because I think the world and progression system are both interesting.
Jan 29, 2021 11:23 AM
Sep 2020
The 3d models aren't good at all but the 3d animation makes up for it, the movement for the monsters and stuff seem natural.
Jan 29, 2021 11:24 AM

Jul 2019
mcbignuts said:

I disagree, mostly because an anime about getting skills like the manga (and especially the light novel ) would probably not work. Mostly because it would have been far slower paced and that would not work in an anime, dont get me wrong, its already very fast paced, but if they went and showed every single thing she did to gain those skills, it would have been FAR more tedious. And although i can see why people would like this because of the gaining skills aspect, and i actually mostly like it because of kumoko, although im mostly in the minority.
Jan 29, 2021 11:34 AM

Jan 2020
I am starting to realise why LN readers like this anime
U-Y-P-W-O-C-U-T-I-K-A-T-I-P-M-I-N-I-I-D-I-H-I-W-T-S-T-I-W-S-T-O-M-P-T-I-L-U-C-H-N-I-D-T-I-I-Y-I-M-N-O-W-S-T-S-W-N-I-B-W
Jan 29, 2021 11:37 AM

Jul 2019
This was my favourite episode. This fight was one of the ones i liked the most in original material and it was adapted fine i guess, the best part was honestly the music, very underappreciated. The cgi on the other hand was uhhhh, not that great, espcially the models, but they move pretty decently so there is that at least. One thing i need to say tho, is that itadaki is doing a good job, people will hate me for this, but he certainly knows how to animate the 3d models and how camera (mostly) works. He does sometimes get a bit too ambitious, but its very clear he tries his best and really grew up after berserk.

Beatrice-KF said:
HoloKill said:

Yea, i really think you are stretching it there ahah, this CG is nowhere near as bad as those abominations, thats for sure, the models here are bad but not that bad jesus. And the animation itself and direction truly dont even compare with the others.
Jan 29, 2021 11:51 AM

Nov 2014
Really cool battle, dragged down by CGI.
I wish those level ups didn't time so well with her injuries. It'd be much more fun (and feel less cheap) if she was seriously wounded and looked for easy kill just to quickly level up, or something like that.
On the other hand, I'm happy whole episode was about spider. Other classmates are kinda boring and waste of screentime.
Jan 29, 2021 11:52 AM

May 2014
Jakeyzor2 said:
TheDeedsOfMen said:
Good action scene and decent CGI, but I am still waiting for the interesting story developments. Judging by the pacing, it should take a few more episodes. Maybe in the episode 6-8 range we will get somewhere.

Possibly. In terms of 'story' Kumoko is gonna be doing what she's been for another 2-3 episodes. Most of the plot revelations are gonna happen on the human Reincarnation sides.
Yes, I agree. I have read the LN.
Jan 29, 2021 12:15 PM

Jan 2021
Such a good episode. Spider only! I don't know if it was just me, but the monkeys looked really weird.
Jan 29, 2021 12:17 PM

Apr 2017
Probably the worst episode so far thanks to the horrendous CGI. The monkeys look straight out of those budget PS2 game graphics and the fights were a mess. The lousy FPS when the camera is moving whenever there are CGI were also horrible to watch through. Like what the fuck is shit 10fps shit like I'm stuck playing AAA games with pentium 2 integrated graphic cards?

1.5/5 episode
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka? Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 3, 2021

365 by perfumegenius »»
Yesterday, 10:50 AM

» As a LN reader, it hurts that this probably won't get another season

NXT_2006 - Feb 15, 2023

14 by DonKhixote »»
Apr 5, 4:02 PM

» So there's no romance in there?

rishamr - Mar 25

11 by Valenstine »»
Mar 29, 7:48 AM

Poll: » Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka? Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 19, 2021

162 by Ratris_Decision »»
Mar 7, 4:07 AM

Poll: » Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka? Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KANLen09 - Jan 8, 2021

331 by Ratris_Decision »»
Mar 5, 2:46 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.