Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 23, 2021 7:23 PM
IRL Aqua

Jun 2017
A "good" anime is what I define as something extremely well regarded by anime watchers, for example, Cowboy Bebop, Evangelion, Nozoki Aya, etc.

What's a good show you had just a bad time watching despite being considered one of the greats? Specifically why did you not like it? Feel free to answer by your own definition of a "good" show.

For me, it's Lain. I acknowledge that it's very well written and deserves the popularity it has, just didn't enjoy the slow pacing and the vagueness of the story (until the very end).
smallasiangirlJan 23, 2021 8:16 PM
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 23, 2021 7:24 PM

Apr 2020
NHK and trigun were "good" animes I think, but I really just did not enjoy them at all
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 23, 2021 7:27 PM

May 2018
Every anime I enjoy is good. Kaifuku Jutsushi is a 10/10 masterpiece.
Jan 23, 2021 7:29 PM

Dec 2020
I see lots of people saying charlotte was good, but its was kinda boring.

People with boobs > people with no boobs.

My lemons > ur lemons
Please just send to profile ^^
Jan 23, 2021 7:31 PM

Feb 2020
Everyone loved Death Parade, apparently. I didn't. Now, I'm all for a deep and interesting anime but this was not it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 23, 2021 7:32 PM
危ないお兄さん

Nov 2016
Ever i tried shigatsu wa kimi na uso but anime dont really make me enjoyment till the end,btw classical music i also like Nondame cantabille which give more challenge n explanation about music so maybe i cant connect myself to strong feeling sake small things

Jan 23, 2021 7:34 PM

Jun 2015
Maybe shows like House of Five Leaves or Mushishi. I like those shows, I honestly love mushishi, but I think you have to be in the right mindset to watch a slowburner
Jan 23, 2021 7:36 PM
Jul 2018
Gurren Lagann for me did not live up to the hype at all, thought it was a snooze fest.
Jan 23, 2021 7:36 PM

Mar 2020
For me personally i did not enjoy A Silent Voice for me it just felt really slow paced and predictable.

Jan 23, 2021 7:37 PM

Jul 2020
I actually have 2.

The first one is Re:Zero. I try to enjoy Re:zero(I watched the 2nd season twice) but I just can't. I guess the characters just aren't cutting it for me. Yeah my rating for season 2 is an 8, but its basically that type of 8 you give just because it feels better that way. I enjoyed season 2 somewhat but it didn't feel as good as season 1.

These could be the possible reasons:

The characters just dont cut it for me, with an anime that is supposed to be a lot about the characters for the story, if you dont like the characters you wont like the anime or the story. Also, characters that dont have any potential for me wont feel like the have development. They just feel like bland characters in the beginning and always feel like bland characters even if they improve. I think the only character that fits the quota is Subaru. After the latest episode he feels like hes been developed well. All the rest just aint cutting it.

A big example of the opposite is Akame ga kill. I loved all the characters at the start, they felt like they had a lot of potential but never got developed so they just stayed bland.

Steins;gate had the same problem as Re:zero, the characters (other than Kurisu and Okabe) weren't cutting it for me. Luckily, the plot was extremely well done so that made the anime a masterpiece for me.

I have a long list of reasons for why I dont enjoy Re:zero much but I'll leave it off here.

The second anime is Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Most of the reason I dont enjoy it is just on me. I was expected a cool mecha anime fight but instead got stuff that had to do with human personality. My brain wasn't prepared for that so it just felt bland. I'll probably enjoy it when I rewatch it but for now its not enjoyable.
I gave up on character of the week since it takes too much thinking. I'll just change my forum pfp to whoever I want every week lol.
Jan 23, 2021 7:46 PM
IRL Aqua

Jun 2017
ISeeLifePeople said:
Ever i tried shigatsu wa kimi na uso but anime dont really make me enjoyment till the end,btw classical music i also like Nondame cantabille which give more challenge n explanation about music so maybe i cant connect myself to strong feeling sake small things

Nodame sounds amazing omg. Will it make me cry?
Jan 23, 2021 7:47 PM

Apr 2018
Your Lie in April, easily. It's my most disliked "high-rated" anime, mostly due its tone-deaf comedy, predictability, redundant inner monologues and a disturbingly hypocritical/apologist message regarding abuse.

I also agree with OP on Lain. I can usually enjoy the type of show that invites you to reflect and draw your own interpretations and conclusions about it (like Evangelion and Utena), but Lain just did not inspire that feeling in me at all. I found it so dull and unengaging that i just wanted to forget it and move on as soon as i finished it.
Jan 23, 2021 7:53 PM

Sep 2020
JoJo Part 3

Everyone says that this part was better than the previous 2, but I just can't see it. Characters had less depth and the fights were more boring compared to its predecessors.
Jan 23, 2021 7:57 PM

Jan 2021
Neon Genesis Evangelion. I felt like it had way too many "hidden" pseudo-religious/pseudo-philosophical messages. And why is the entire anime focused on making Shinji Ikari the hero? He doesn't want to be the hero, he doesn't want to fight and he sure as hell doesn't want to get in the robot.

Ashen_EstusJan 23, 2021 8:01 PM
Jan 23, 2021 7:58 PM

Jan 2020
Steins Gate it's good but don't fulfill my expectations , it's not as complex as what I think

AoT S3 part 2 just a regular war , good thing maybe the basement secret
Хайде, хайде, хайде, това е първата зона, брато, първа зона, първа зона, добре, добре, добре, това става тук горе, отива тук горе, само спокойно, само спокойно... Ха, отдясно е, навсякъде отдясно отдясно къде е дясното ти о да добре добре добре тихо мълчаливо не успях да се съсредоточа върху това ЕХ ТЪПАК КОГАТО СИ БАВНО БАВНО ... ой е путката на моето момиче прасе куче, аз Чувствам се добре, о, мамо, *шамар*, какво е това госпожице татко-
Jan 23, 2021 7:58 PM

Apr 2020
Legend of the Galactic Heroes was absolutely a masterpiece, but I just didn't like it.

Same thing with Steins;Gate and FMAB
I can't even function as a human being anymore.
Jan 23, 2021 7:59 PM

Apr 2020
Wow I actually kind of enjoy Evangelion. The animation is fluid, the characters are nice, and the story is-
*proceeds to fall asleep*

beep boop bop pow
Jan 23, 2021 8:00 PM
IRL Aqua

Jun 2017
gekojay said:
Legend of the Galactic Heroes was absolutely a masterpiece, but I just didn't like it.

Haven't watched LotGH myself, but I've only ever heard good things about this one. What made you dislike it?
Jan 23, 2021 8:00 PM

Oct 2020
its the fate series for me
i watched a couple eps for the first one and it was going alright but i didn't really feel it anymore :(

𝕊𝕒𝕪ō𝕟𝕒𝕣𝕒 さようなら

Jan 23, 2021 8:02 PM
Dec 2018
Don't mind me
I'm here, just for my 400th post.
Jan 23, 2021 8:06 PM

Nov 2020
If you take a look at my list a lot of these “good” anime I watched I didn’t really enjoy personally. But here are some Aot, Deathnote, Nge, Madoka magica, Spirited Away and Cowboy Bepbop.

Aot was my first anime. My sister really hyped it up for me but when I watched it it just really disappointed me. Also one of the main reason is the characters arnt really that likeable. I really wanted to like it badly but I just couldn’t.

Deathnote. Another anime that got hyped up for me. I really thought I would like it because I love psychologic Animes but it just didn’t do it for me.

Nge. I was just really confused the whole time and I didn’t really like any of the characters. I also personally don’t really enjoy mecha that much so that didn’t really help also. I also learned more about NGE from a 5 min vid on YT that the whole anime but I might have been to stupid to understand it to enjoy it.

Madoka Magica. I really heard a lot about this anime. It looked interesting but I just didn’t seem to like it.

Spirited away seemed like a film that I would have enjoyed. I had a nice vibe though it but I just didn’t seem to enjoy it. I didn’t really like the Mc and The story. I personally thought it didn’t make sense.

Cowboy Bepbop. I really like spike as a Mc. He had everything I would like in a MC. But the show just felt like 24 ep of fillers. And they weren’t really enjoyable to me. Also haveing people call it a masterpiece really given me high hopes for the anime but it just let me down.

I don’t hate any of these anime’s but I just personally didn’t enjoy them.
If there's a hole there's a goal-Master Oogway
Jan 23, 2021 8:08 PM

Apr 2020
smallasiangirl said:
gekojay said:

Haven't watched LotGH myself, but I've only ever heard good things about this one. What made you dislike it?

Amazing character development, cool retro animation... but I predicted the ending around the 2nd season, and just ended up watching 110 episodes of a show that I kinda felt like I already knew the outcome. Also the whole 3rd season was really hard to stay awake during.
I can't even function as a human being anymore.
Jan 23, 2021 8:11 PM

Apr 2017
Psycho Pass, Shinsekai Yori, Gurren Lagann, The Tatami Galaxy.
cunnysseur
Jan 23, 2021 8:12 PM
危ないお兄さん

Nov 2016
smallasiangirl said:
ISeeLifePeople said:

Nodame sounds amazing omg. Will it make me cry?

Nope this is not sad story, this is about journey how a young man become a master maestro. u will learn a lot various classical song n how does an opera go from form team, daily training, rehearsal until show time (This anime very suit if u like classical song, orchestra, and any similiar stuff like that)

Jan 23, 2021 8:14 PM
IRL Aqua

Jun 2017
NilsLikeAnime said:
Well you can't really ask this question, a "good anime" is subjective. There's always gonna be generally liked show's that disliked by many, same for mostly disliked ones. Even though you hate Sword Art Online for example, I and many other's liked it for some reason. You could also just go into something like A Silent Voice and find bad reviews and read why.

I defined the criteria of a "good" show in the post, along with "Feel free to answer by your own definition of a "good" show." right next to the bolded question. Apologies, I should have put phrase that in bright red italicized letters so it could be seen more clearly.

Would you like to try contributing to the discussion? I would like to know if you disliked any viewer renown anime. :)
Jan 23, 2021 8:43 PM

Sep 2020
In my case I can say your lie in April and hyouka seemed quite boring
I had good expectations from these two considering their ratings and popularity
Jan 23, 2021 8:45 PM

Sep 2008
anything I watched by trigger that wasn't the amazing LWA ova, or inferno cop.
their shows have the exact same problem because of the exact same execution.
step1: create an interesting premise
step2: don't don't anything with the story for half of the runtime, make it some episodic school thing
step3: after hitting the halfway point, realize that you have a show to run, start panicking and rush everything
step4: there's no time to finish the story or make the last arc visually not suck so just make it aliens and draw it as badly as possible.

miyazki/ghibli. the message sucks shit.
men bad, technology bad, self defense bad, trees good. the only miyazaki movie I like is nausicaa, and the only ghibli movie I like is something he hasn't worked on.

kimi no na wa. the idea is good but there was no need to drag the catastrophe drama into it. I felt detached when I had to care for the characters. it was a big fat MEH in the end.

I could do this all day.
my definition of a good show is something that looks good, moves well, has interesting things to say, and manages to appeal to me personally. the last one isn't necessary, but it helps.
馬鹿げた倫理 全部ガラクタで
Jan 23, 2021 8:48 PM

Oct 2012
smallasiangirl said:
A "good" anime is what I define as something extremely well regarded by anime watchers
Hmm that sounds exactly like another word we know: popular. Are there "popular" shows that I dislike? Yes, of course.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jan 23, 2021 8:49 PM
IRL Aqua

Jun 2017
katsucats said:
smallasiangirl said:
A "good" anime is what I define as something extremely well regarded by anime watchers
Hmm that sounds exactly like another word we know: popular. Are there "popular" shows that I dislike? Yes, of course.

To be fair, SAO is very popular but isn't regarded as "good". Nor is Itadaki Saeki.
Jan 23, 2021 8:54 PM

Mar 2012
Hunter x Hunter 2011
Cowboy Bebop
Slime
Ansatsu Kyoushitsu
Beelzebub
Dragon Ball
Ergo Proxy
Lain
Gintama
FMA:B (I liked FMA better)
Monogatari series
Shield Hero
Utena
Jan 23, 2021 9:04 PM

Jun 2020
Definitely Gurren Lagann l’m only on episode 6 but it feels like a chore to continue watching, maybe it’ll get better soon though.
How am I supposed to decide what to write, I can't choose an anime to watch to save my life, you think I can pick a signature?
Jan 23, 2021 9:13 PM
Nov 2015
smallasiangirl said:
A "good" anime is what I define as something extremely well regarded by anime watchers, for example, Cowboy Bebop, Evangelion, Nozoki Aya, etc.

What's a good show you had just a bad time watching despite being considered one of the greats? Specifically why did you not like it? Feel free to answer by your own definition of a "good" show.

For me, it's Lain. I acknowledge that it's very well written and deserves the popularity it has, just didn't enjoy the slow pacing and the vagueness of the story (until the very end).

In my case was a manga oyasumi pun pun... I KNEW since the begging that was a depressive manga but Boi i was not ready on the levels of depressive, was so sad, like freaking torture ... And that manga was #2 on manga top here ... I tried so hard but i couldnt... I dropped
Jan 23, 2021 9:18 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
smallasiangirl said:

Sounds more like you're defining the word "popular" than "good", honestly.

Anyway, yes. There is one "good" popular show that I did not enjoy—AnoHana.
I actually kind of despise it and will probably never understand why it's highly praised as it is.
If you want my thoughts on it, you can just check my posts on the show's Episode Discussion boards.
Jan 23, 2021 9:19 PM
危ないお兄さん

Nov 2016
CrimsonHerring said:
Definitely Gurren Lagann l’m only on episode 6 but it feels like a chore to continue watching, maybe it’ll get better soon though.
gurren langan show typically always get better every next episode so u should finish it to taste how Masterpiece TTGL

(If u will get nothing when finish it u can ignore any words from me so on)

Jan 23, 2021 9:20 PM

Dec 2019
I thought fate zero was so average and boring. is it worth watching the second season?
yo :)
Jul 2018
Your lie in April - I watched it when I WAS a big fan of romance. I got 3 episodes in, no romance. So I YEETED out of there.

Oregairu - I remember barely getting through the first season. Bunch of boring students talk about dumb shit. The only interesting thing about it is Hachiman and the Trap.

Demon Slayer - Talk about sleep inducing. I remember not finishing my food because of me collapsing when I started episode 3.

Dec 2017
A Silent Voice i gave it a 2 and i just couldn't really enjoy the movie like it just wasn't really that great. Out of all ratings i have gotten the most questions about this would have to be it.

Jan 23, 2021 9:28 PM

Oct 2019
one punch man. i don't understand why people enjoy it, especially compared to mob.
signature under construction lol
Jan 23, 2021 9:29 PM

Oct 2016
For me it's Ergo Proxy, Ouran Koukou Host Club, Dennou Coil, Digimon Tamers, FLCL, Cowboy Bebop, The Vision of Escaflowne, Windaria, I did enjoy Kaiba and Haibane Renmei as a whole but barely.

Then there are mmmm Kakushigoto, Dorohedoro, Golden Kamuy S3, Deca-Dence. Those are all I can renember but there may be more.
Jan 23, 2021 9:34 PM

May 2019
Serial Experiments Lain (very boring, non sensical, try so hard to be thoughtful show, weird and disturbing characters , good for creepy atmosphere though)
Anohana (shitty characters crying over a hide and seek just ridiculous and dragging story)
I Want to Eat Your Pancreas (dull MC and stupid twist in the end)
Non-Non Biyori (extremely boring with nothing significant happen throughout the whole show)
Grave of Fireflies (the brother is too self-centered because of his ego and not considerate for his sister at all)

Jan 23, 2021 9:39 PM

Jul 2019
If I didn't enjoy it, then I won't call it good...
Jan 23, 2021 9:47 PM

Nov 2019
SagarSR said:
Everyone loved Death Parade, apparently. I didn't. Now, I'm all for a deep and interesting anime but this was not it.

fucking finally, another person who didn't like death parade. sometimes I feel like a rare species on this site lmao
Jan 23, 2021 9:48 PM

Aug 2020
Hunter x Hunter not so much the the whole series just chimera ant arc it gives me a migraine probably my least favorite of the arcs
Jan 23, 2021 9:49 PM

Jul 2016
Yes. Grand Blue is a complete fucking shitshow.
Jan 23, 2021 9:50 PM

Aug 2020
closeted_lemon said:

Its kind of a middle schooler anime if I'm honest I know because thats when I watched it
Jan 23, 2021 9:51 PM

Aug 2020
NilsLikeAnime said:
Well you can't really ask this question, a "good anime" is subjective. There's always gonna be generally liked show's that disliked by many, same for mostly disliked ones. Even though you hate Sword Art Online for example, I and many other's liked it for some reason. You could also just go into something like A Silent Voice and find bad reviews and read why.

They say there are no dumb questions, I don't wanna come across as toxic but yeah.

I think what they mean is either

A. show you thought was good just didn't enjoy watching
B. a show that is widely accepted as good but you didn't like it
Jan 23, 2021 9:52 PM

Dec 2020
KuroGFX said:
closeted_lemon said:

Its kind of a middle schooler anime if I'm honest I know because thats when I watched it

I guess. It does seem like a middle schooler anime.

People with boobs > people with no boobs.

My lemons > ur lemons
Please just send to profile ^^
Jan 23, 2021 9:53 PM

Aug 2020
Tbonejoe said:
I thought fate zero was so average and boring. is it worth watching the second season?

Yeah the first season is mostly kinda introductory to the grail war the different servants and masters ambitions and personalities but if you really didn't like the characters at all I wouldn't watch the second season then
Jan 23, 2021 9:57 PM

Jun 2020
Sailor Moon. It's like the Dragon Ball Z of magical girl shoujo, an absolute classic, But I could not sit through most of it. I was so bored
Jan 23, 2021 10:27 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
GoZha said:
Sailor Moon. It's like the Dragon Ball Z of magical girl shoujo, an absolute classic, But I could not sit through most of it. I was so bored

Have you considered checking out Sailor Moon Crystal?
It's a lot shorter and has a lot less filler as it's way more faithful to the original manga than the 90s anime was.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you? ( 1 2 3 )

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

119 by Hoppy »»
3 minutes ago

» Does being an anime fan make you proud or embarassed?

BuddhaIsBetter - 9 hours ago

27 by perseii »»
10 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men?

Alpha_1_Zero - 4 hours ago

31 by Archean-Return »»
17 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows?

EverRealm - 5 hours ago

24 by Kurgo »»
18 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

170 by perseii »»
22 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.