Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
Jan 21, 2021 10:21 AM
Jan 2021
I just don't get where all this hatred is suddenly coming from. I remember people used to really like and respect Levi and now I just see people hating on him, accusing him of being badly written and keep comparing him to Eren which is incredibly unfair. Levi is not the protagonist so he will not get the development that Eren goes through.
Levi had his own arc in Season 3 and from my experience, it was really well done and well portrayed. It also really changed Levi's character. If he's such a bad character then why was he a main focus in the previous season and was critically acclaimed and now he suddenly gets all this backlash? I don't deny Eren is an amazing character but is this the reason why Levi is getting hated on? Overrated doesn't mean bad. Seriously, where is all this coming from? I'm just really confused because it looks like his popularity has dropped.
Jan 21, 2021 11:07 AM
Apr 2019
For me Eren is such a great character and with an amazing development, He is the mc so thats normal and good. Talking about Levi, i think the power of the character is that he is strongest soldier of humans and besides this he always lost every he loves. His friends, Erwin, and even more people in the manga. I just cant remember a fight that Levi won or a fight where he dont lose loved people. In the end, I can alsay say that season 3 first part Levi has good moments and the history with Kenny and his childhood is good. For me Levi is such a good character and noy only the target of simping people.
Jan 21, 2021 11:13 AM
Mar 2020
Tbh that’s the first time I see that there is a hate towards Levi. For me he is a very well written character to went through a lot of shit and anime really showed his development with every event that happened to him.
I like him in every aspect. Starting from how badass he is, how smart he is during battles(especially first fight vs Kenny squad), etc.
Jan 21, 2021 12:28 PM
Jun 2020
No, he’s not. He has the saddest past of all AOT characters in my opinion, so how he should be a badly written character??? I mean he has lost literally everyone who was important to him. Can someone explain me why people are hating him?
Jan 21, 2021 12:36 PM

Aug 2020
I don't think so he has moments where he's actually caring for his troops and the loss of
really eats at him he may be the strongest but theirs a limit to what he can do especially when he tries to
and when he has to make the decision to
Jan 21, 2021 7:54 PM

Sep 2020
nah the most bland character is Mikasa.

Even though she did get a backstory, her character traits are quite undeveloped and she goes "Ereh Ereh" the same way Yuno goes "Yuki Yuki". She is nothing but another soldier, only as one of the main characters because technically she is Eren's family.

Levi is a way better written character.

If u have seen the OVA, u will realize why Levi became the person he is now.
The extra little backstory he had solved his mysterious past.

Probably the most well written character so far is the potato Sasha ate.

[Violet X Amy]

[VioletteloiV X squished_lemon]

Jan 21, 2021 8:00 PM

Jan 2021
I haven't heard this until now. Better give your sources next time. On the other hand, I think he's a good character of the show, but not even close to remarkable.
Jan 21, 2021 9:15 PM

Sep 2019
Saber_Evergarden said:

Even though she did get a backstory, her character traits are quite undeveloped and she goes "Ereh Ereh" the same way Yuno goes "Yuki Yuki". She is nothing but another soldier, only as one of the main characters because technically she is Eren's family.

Mikasa got bland in season 3. In previous seasons, she was great.
"I think I wanted to attack something. Like betraying people or hurting people. And, well, it's not exactly nice, but hurting the readers too... In all honestly, I feel that's what I really wanted to do. For me, as a reader, when I think, "this manga will remain in my heart," it means, for example, it phenomenally hurt me: It's those kinds of experiences I'm after." - Pajime Hisayama (My favourite hurting author).
Jan 21, 2021 9:21 PM

Sep 2020
Peeti said:
Saber_Evergarden said:

Mikasa got bland in season 3. In previous seasons, she was great.

nah the potato is still the best up to this date

[Violet X Amy]

[VioletteloiV X squished_lemon]

Jan 21, 2021 9:56 PM

May 2015
Saber_Evergarden said:

I wouldn't say she's badly written though. Yes, she is a bland character but she was written this way on purpose. You should understand what I mean seeing that you read the manga.
Jan 21, 2021 10:03 PM

Jun 2020
Lmao , it's just these wannabe-elitist Eren fanboys who do that , remember Levi was a much better character than Eren in the first 2 seasons , its s3 where eren started picking up.
Jan 21, 2021 11:14 PM
Jan 2021
kycnui said:
I haven't heard this until now. Better give your sources next time. On the other hand, I think he's a good character of the show, but not even close to remarkable.

I'll definitely get the citations.
Jan 21, 2021 11:17 PM
Jan 2021
Ten said:
Saber_Evergarden said:

I wouldn't say she's badly written though. Yes, she is a bland character but she was written this way on purpose. You should understand what I mean seeing that you read the manga.

I don't agree she's bland either. She did have her boring moments but she hugely progresses in the manga. Same with Levi. However he's getting the most hate these days.
Jan 21, 2021 11:20 PM
Jan 2021
Doom_Reigns said:
Lmao , it's just these wannabe-elitist Eren fanboys who do that , remember Levi was a much better character than Eren in the first 2 seasons , its s3 where eren started picking up.

The AOT fanbase in general have taken a turn in for the worse. They even hated on Mappa just because of the effects in the previous episode. Shouldn't they be grateful they at least got the final season this year?

Here's the link below for evidence:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/comicbook.com/anime/amp/news/attack-on-titan-anime-season-4-harassment-statement-mappa/
GoldenSky91Jan 21, 2021 11:24 PM
Jan 22, 2021 8:10 AM
Jan 2021
Only Few Words
Popular Animes,Toxic Fans,Trolls,etc.

I Generally Ignore These Type Of Threads
Jan 22, 2021 11:46 AM
Jan 2021
Just a wanna be feitan from hunter x hunter
Jan 22, 2021 12:46 PM
Jan 2021
TOp_FIGHTER said:
Just a wanna be feitan from hunter x hunter

I've seen this before. They're completely different characters. They have different motives and different ideas. Levi is not a rip off of Feitan.
Jan 23, 2021 12:17 AM
Oct 2018
GoldenSky91 said:
I just don't get where all this hatred is suddenly coming from. I remember people used to really like and respect Levi and now I just see people hating on him, accusing him of being badly written and keep comparing him to Eren which is incredibly unfair. Levi is not the protagonist so he will not get the development that Eren goes through.
Levi had his own arc in Season 3 and from my experience, it was really well done and well portrayed. It also really changed Levi's character. If he's such a bad character then why was he a main focus in the previous season and was critically acclaimed and now he suddenly gets all this backlash? I don't deny Eren is an amazing character but is this the reason why Levi is getting hated on? Overrated doesn't mean bad. Seriously, where is all this coming from? I'm just really confused because it looks like his popularity has dropped.

NO. Levi is a great character, specially after watching season 3. But the thing is Eren is FAR better written and has an insane, unreal amount of character development. Eren is definitely one of the best written main characters in all of anime.
ONLY FOR THOSE WHO ARE CAUGHT UP TILL SEASON 4 EPISODE 6:-
Just have a look at this masterpiece AMV
https://youtu.be/GIleqAWSIco
Jan 23, 2021 6:37 AM
Jan 2021
Nik03178 said:
GoldenSky91 said:

NO. Levi is a great character, specially after watching season 3. But the thing is Eren is FAR better written and has an insane, unreal amount of character development. Eren is definitely one of the best written main characters in all of anime.
ONLY FOR THOSE WHO ARE CAUGHT UP TILL SEASON 4 EPISODE 6:-
Just have a look at this masterpiece AMV
https://youtu.be/GIleqAWSIco

I agree Eren is far better written but Levi still played an essential role in Eren's development. This gets so widely overlooked and ignored. Season 4 has really made fans forget some past events that were important.
GoldenSky91Jan 23, 2021 6:51 AM
Jan 23, 2021 6:49 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
No as he is one of the most interesting characters in AoT.

People might dislike him since everyone has different taste but calling him badly-written just because of that is weird.

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Jan 23, 2021 7:28 AM
Jan 2021
kycnui said:

Here's one of the sources.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/fairytail-whathesays.tumblr.com/post/175408709917/why-levi-ackerman-is-literally-the-worst-character/amp
Jan 23, 2021 8:10 AM
Jan 2021
kycnui said:

Here's another source. Read Erehisugang's comment.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ShingekiNoKyojin/comments/9b0pq1/manga_spoilers_levi_character_dissection/?utm_source=amp&utm_medium=&utm_content=post_body
Jan 23, 2021 8:34 AM

Jan 2021
GoldenSky91 said:
kycnui said:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/fairytail-whathesays.tumblr.com/post/175408709917/why-levi-ackerman-is-literally-the-worst-character/amp
Okay, that post is just dumb. The ignorance in the circumstances of why he shouldn't be dead is absurd.

GoldenSky91 said:
kycnui said:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ShingekiNoKyojin/comments/9b0pq1/manga_spoilers_levi_character_dissection/?utm_source=amp&utm_medium=&utm_content=post_body
I think it's valid when said user stated that the Ackerman concept is poorly explained. But I don't think the explanation should be present; it's a mystery sub-plot (apologies to manga readers who may know more about the ackerman overpowering capabilities). Also, saying that he is poorly written because he got backed up by his injury as a plot device... I don't get it. I don't understand how they can't consider the realism of the show.
Jan 23, 2021 8:40 AM
Jan 2021
kycnui said:
GoldenSky91 said:

Okay, that post is just dumb. The ignorance in the circumstances of why he shouldn't be dead is absurd.

GoldenSky91 said:

I think it's valid when said user stated that the Ackerman concept is poorly explained. But I don't think the explanation should be present; it's a mystery sub-plot (apologies to manga readers who may know more about the ackerman overpowering capabilities). Also, saying that he is poorly written because he got backed up by his injury as a plot device... I don't get it. I don't understand how they can't consider the realism of the show.

I've had to send these seperately as I'm using a Samsung device. My laptop broke earlier this month, so I'll be getting a new one, which would make things much easier to post citations all at the same time. The first one is just ridiculous, I completely agree. He never mentions about the concept or direction of where Levi goes and writes him off just because he avoided getting killed.

As for the second one, he wasn't referring to the Ackerman clan concept or their mystery but again, focused on Levi's OPness and used that as an excuse to brand him as a bad plot device instead. Some of these reasons are shockingly bad. Remember in Season 2 when Erwin got his arm completely chomped off and instead of screaming in agony, he told his soldiers to keep going without him? That right there defines what a badass, strong character he was. And he almost got killed in that scene but survived. Does that mean that he was a bad plot device and a Deus ex Machina? No, of course not. That's what the first person is implying for Levi. "He's not dead yet so he's the worst character".
GoldenSky91Jan 23, 2021 8:47 AM
Jan 23, 2021 8:58 AM

Jan 2021
GoldenSky91 said:
kycnui said:

I've had to send these seperately as I'm using a Samsung device. My laptop broke earlier this month, so I'll be getting a new one, which would make things much easier to post citations all at the same time. The first one is just ridiculous, I completely agree. He never mentions about the concept or direction of where Levi goes and writes him off just because he avoided getting killed.

As for the second one, he wasn't referring to the Ackerman clan concept or their mystery but again, focused on Levi's OPness and used that as an excuse to brand him as a bad plot device instead. Some of these reasons are shockingly bad. Remember in Season 2 when Erwin got his arm completely chomped off and instead of screaming in agony, he told his soldiers to keep going without him? That right there defines what a badass, strong character he was. And he almost got killed in that scene but survived. Does that mean that he was a bad plot device and a Deus ex Machina? No, of course not. That's what the first person is implying for Levi. "He's not dead yet so he's the worst character".

Actually, this is the first time I got worked up with haters of an anime I don't praise much. Yeah, Erwin is one of the best, if not the best, characters of the series.
Jan 23, 2021 2:12 PM
Jan 2021
kycnui said:
GoldenSky91 said:

Actually, this is the first time I got worked up with haters of an anime I don't praise much. Yeah, Erwin is one of the best, if not the best, characters of the series.

Erwin's amazing. He's my second favourite character after Levi. Off topic but these annoying adverts keep popping up. Do you know how to remove them? There isn't a cross at the top to close them down.
Jan 23, 2021 2:15 PM

Dec 2020
no definitely not.

just no

the no regrets thing throughout the story is pretty memorable

nononono
"no one really laughs on the internet, they just go 'hM' and type '𝕃𝕄𝔸𝕆𝔸𝕆𝕄𝔸𝕆𝔸'."

I'm Level 69 on Mal Badges. View My Badges.

Jan 23, 2021 3:09 PM

Jan 2021
GoldenSky91 said:
kycnui said:

Erwin's amazing. He's my second favourite character after Levi. Off topic but these annoying adverts keep popping up. Do you know how to remove them? There isn't a cross at the top to close them down.
You either buy the MAL Supporter (it's like a subscription) or use an adblocker. I know someone who uses a broswer named Brave, and it works on blocking adverts.
Jan 23, 2021 3:23 PM
Jan 2021
kycnui said:
GoldenSky91 said:

You either buy the MAL Supporter (it's like a subscription) or use an adblocker. I know someone who uses a broswer named Brave, and it works on blocking adverts.

Ok thank you. It's like every social media has to advertise sponsorships nowadays. I originally joined MAL in 2012 and you never got these annoying adverts.
Jan 24, 2021 7:34 AM
Mar 2017
He was a better character than eren for the majority of the story. Post 115 is where hes fallen off, Isayama should have been brave enough to kill him there. He's been irrelevant to the plot ever since. I don't care about his feud with zeke anymore.

The actual 'decline of writing' of his character comes from him seemingly having forgotten about how Annie slaughtered his squad, and was allowed to join their group because she looked cute while eating pie in the most convenient way possible. Why is he alright with that? His monologue is alright until the 'h-he had the same look in his eyes' - despite Armin being some kid who hasn't done shit since getting the colossal titan from Levi's pov. Thats the sort of stuff I expect to see in my hero academia or some bullshit, not SnK.

Why does he not think about how he tossed Petra's body to the titans sent by Marley, and how she and the rest of his squad would feel about him siding with the enemy? I know the story isn't over, but he doesn't acknowledge that he's always left the hard choices to Eren despite Levi being his senior. Everyone always left the hard choices to Eren, yet don't acknowledge this.

tldr - isayama wasn't brave enough to kill levi in 115 where he would have had a well written and brutal death that we'd still be talking about today but instead has been largely irrelevant to the plot since then and its becoming increasingly unclear whether or not he'll have a well written death or satisfying conclusion to his character
slb1Jan 24, 2021 8:32 AM
Jan 24, 2021 8:13 AM
Jan 2021
slb1 said:
He was a batter character than eren for the majority of the story. Post 115 is where hes fallen off, Isayama should have been brave enough to kill him there. He's been irrelevant to the plot ever since, I don't care about his feud with zeke anymore.

The actual 'decline of writing' of his character comes from him seemingly having forgotten about how Annie slaughtered his squad, and was allowed to join their group because she looked cute while eating pie in the most convenient way possible. Why is he alright with that? His monologue is alright until the 'h-he had the same look in his eyes' - despite Armin being some kid who hasn't done shit since getting the colossal titan from Levi's pov. Thats the sort of stuff I expect to see in my hero academia or some bullshit, not SnK.

Why does he not think about how he tossed Petra's body to the titans sent by Marley, and how she and the rest of his squad would feel about him siding with the enemy? I know the story isn't over, but he doesn't acknowledge that he's always left the hard choices to Eren despite Levi being his senior. Everyone always left the hard choices to Eren, yet don't acknowledge this.

tldr - isayama wasn't brave enough to kill levi in 115 where he would have had a well written and brutal death that we'd still be talking about today but instead has been largely irrelevant to the plot since then and its becoming increasingly unclear whether or not he'll have a well written death or satisfying conclusion to his character

I know it's really hard to not give out spoilers but I kind of agree with you. Regarding chapter 115, Isayama was actually going to do that to Levi but copped out because the fans were getting extremely panicky and distraught which is completely understandable. He isn't as relevant as he was before but that does not mean he can't continue as a better developed character. In Season 3, his goal was not just focused on Zeke but saving the citizens and the royal blood line. The latter was an extremely important part of his character which sadly got massively reduced in the anime. But he should not be killed off just because he's become irrelevant now. Isayama has already killed off so many beloved characters. We shouldn't need to lose several other major characters and killing off Levi would really be the final straw for many people.
GoldenSky91Jan 24, 2021 8:19 AM
Jan 25, 2021 3:18 AM
Nov 2020
mikasa is so lame. Idk how she became strong unlike levi who had a rough childhood and all.
Jan 25, 2021 3:57 AM
Jan 2021
Kalwin said:
mikasa is so lame. Idk how she became strong unlike levi who had a rough childhood and all.

Mikasa is still really useful. What does she do that's lame?
Jan 26, 2021 11:39 AM
Oct 2019
People might be mistaken considering him as someone overpowered nothing else but he has an emotional backstory. In all a well written character.
Sep 18, 2021 11:32 PM
Sep 2021
No he's not. Far, far from it. The people that say he's badly written only resent him because of his popularity. If he wasn't popular, they would actually be focusing on his depth. They choose not to because of his popularity which is beyond ridiculous.
Dec 17, 2021 5:17 AM

Aug 2020
To be honest? I think so. I find it funny that he is the most favorited character on this site xD

Dec 28, 2021 10:49 PM

Jul 2021
levi suggs balls as a character. im fine if you like him and you should respect people's opinions as well.

Dec 29, 2021 6:50 AM
Feb 2021
you all wrong if you compare eren with levi. levi is not protagonist he is only supporting ofc he doesn't get development or many written bout him.

simping for a character doesn't need good written

Jan 13, 2022 11:42 AM
Jan 2021
Not at all, he's not at the level of Eren,Zeke,Reine,Historia etc but still a pretty good written character
Jan 14, 2022 10:33 PM
Dec 2017
I don't see people hating him. Look at howanu favourites he has on mal alone
Jan 23, 2022 5:11 PM
Dec 2021
He's definitely not a bad written Character. People keeps saying he's one dimensional because he's serious all the time , bruh he's a literary a soldier/captain who lives a dreadful world Do you expect him to be a cheerful charming guy even still he behaves as a normal person in normal circumstances too, it's just we havnt seen Levi in normal circumstances a lot. He's definitely a Decent written Character IMO
Feb 4, 2022 4:50 PM

Aug 2020
Yes he is. Just a walking muscle with the personality of a vegetable.

Mar 11, 2022 10:49 AM
Mar 2022
KitsuFreeze said:
Yes he is. Just a walking muscle with the personality of a vegetable.

How can you watch Season 3 and Season 4 and still think that he has nothing to him?
Mar 11, 2022 10:52 AM

Nov 2020
GoldenSky91 said:
brainded kids will randomly hate on anyone or anything. Its best to ignore them. and yeah I agree eren is definately better written but that doesnt mean levi is trash.

"I don't know about you
But I'm feeling 22
Everything will be alright if
You keep me next to you
You don't know about me
But I'll bet you want to

We just keep dancing like we're 22, 22"
Mar 11, 2022 11:09 AM

Nov 2020
KuroGFX said:
I don't think so he has moments where he's actually caring for his troops and the loss of
really eats at him he may be the strongest but theirs a limit to what he can do especially when he tries to
and when he has to make the decision to
you are contradicting your first statement by your 3rd one lol.

ig u havent watched it properly or dont remember it. cause I am sure there was an ep in which levi told why it looks like he doesnt care about ded troop's.

"I don't know about you
But I'm feeling 22
You keep me next to you
You don't know about me
But I'll bet you want to

We just keep dancing like we're 22, 22"
Mar 11, 2022 11:17 AM

Jul 2017
Nah, Levi is actually decent and outstanding in comparison to many other members of the cast like Mikasa.

More topics from this board

» The GOAT first episode

Bolbysaur - Apr 17

42 by BETTY_ »»
10 hours ago

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 25, 2013

971 by Confessor0 »»
Apr 18, 10:22 AM

» Bug on the app

Jackson_rajkumar - Apr 13

3 by Jackson_rajkumar »»
Apr 15, 4:46 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 28, 2013

1651 by c444de »»
Apr 14, 12:43 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 27, 2013

940 by 4amps »»
Apr 11, 9:56 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.