Forum Settings
Forums

Whats an anime you thought you wouldnt like but ended up as one of your favorites?

New
Jan 18, 2021 5:11 PM

Apr 2020
For me it would be Love Live. To be honest I thought it would just be a moe anime thats just cute girls doing cute things, however it ended up being so much more than that. Season 2 in particular is what made me fall in love with the series and its characters.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 18, 2021 5:13 PM

Oct 2018
Neon Genesis Evangelion

I had 3 otaku guru when I started watching anime.

1 said it was the greatest piece of shit in history
1 said it was simply bad
1 said it was ok
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
Jan 18, 2021 5:15 PM

Sep 2020
made in abyss, it's not one of my favorites but it was wayyyyyyyy better than I thought it would be.
Jan 18, 2021 5:16 PM
Jul 2018
one piece, expected it to just be another shounen but wow was i wrong
Jan 18, 2021 5:18 PM

Dec 2020
Konosuba
I watched a couple of clips from it and found it unfunny and I didn't watch it until a friend told me it was "the only isekai worth watching".
And you know what there's still much funnier shows out there but the characters chemistry (or lack thereof) made it incredibly fun to watch.
Jan 18, 2021 5:19 PM

Apr 2020
Nefelupitou said:
Neon Genesis Evangelion

I had 3 otaku guru when I started watching anime.

1 said it was the greatest piece of shit in history
1 said it was simply bad
1 said it was ok

I havent watch NGE yet so I cant say anything about the anime, however there seems to be two types of opinions about NGE from what I saw. Some say its very good while others say that its bad/average.
Jan 18, 2021 5:20 PM
Jul 2018
Did not expect to like code geass after seeing all of the criticism it gets. I knew both seasons are very highly rated but every review and person I'd heard talk about it said it was awful.
Jan 18, 2021 5:21 PM

Jun 2020
Your Name. I watched A Silent Voice first and I didn't like it, and since everyone compares the two, I thought I might not like Your Name either
Jan 18, 2021 5:23 PM

Aug 2016
I thought Sangatsu no Lion was going to be just another one of those melodramatic shows like AnoHana or Shigatsu, but I couldn't be more wrong.
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
Jan 18, 2021 5:23 PM

Apr 2020
CLADDAN said:
Konosuba
I watched a couple of clips from it and found it unfunny and I didn't watch it until a friend told me it was "the only isekai worth watching".
And you know what there's still much funnier shows out there but the characters chemistry (or lack thereof) made it incredibly fun to watch.

When I first watched Konosuba back in 2018 I instantly fell in love with it. I rewatched the show and numerous clips so many times. I do agree that it was the chemistry that made it so enjoyable to watch.
Jan 18, 2021 5:25 PM
Jul 2018
CLADDAN said:
Konosuba

Same for me, everything i saw about it made it seem so cringeworthy but it really was an incredibly enjoyable show
Jan 18, 2021 5:28 PM

Oct 2018
I initially dropped Re:Creators after a dialogue-heavy episode that left me bored, so I assumed that the remainder of the show would follow suit. I'm glad I picked it back up because for a reverse-isekai, it is very creative with its plot.

Jan 18, 2021 5:33 PM

Jun 2012
Treasure Island. I've read the novel twice, didn't really like it growing up. The show is an improvement on every front.
Jan 18, 2021 5:36 PM

Nov 2020
2077 said:
one piece, expected it to just be another shounen but wow was i wrong
i agree, i watched one Piece one Time AND dropped It. Later realized how good It was, now im a fan lmao

Jan 18, 2021 5:38 PM
Jan 2020
I remember when I first saw Madan no Ou to Vanadis on the list of seasonal anime and thought it's just another generic battle harem I'll pass on. But then I actually gave the genre a chance and although most battle harems turned out to be meh as expected, Vanadis was the only exception which I came to love now. Although reading the source, I'm also sad it didn't get a complete adaptation or would ever get a second season.
Jan 18, 2021 5:40 PM

Apr 2020
GoZha said:
Your Name. I watched A Silent Voice first and I didn't like it, and since everyone compares the two, I thought I might not like Your Name either

I had the same scenario but with opinions opposite from you. I loved Silent Voice, saw that everyone compares it to Your Name, watched it, and liked it less than Silent Voice.
Jan 18, 2021 5:43 PM
Sep 2018
I really didn't think I'd like Gintama because I didn't think anime could be funny to me. I was wrong.
“It is my perception that a true friend never relies on another's dream. A person with the potential to be my true friend must be able to find his reason for life without my help. And, he would have to put his heart and soul into protecting his dream. He would never hesitate to fight for his dream, even against me.”

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Jan 18, 2021 5:43 PM
Dec 2019
Kakegurui it was so fucking entertaining it became one of my favorites.
Jan 18, 2021 5:50 PM

Apr 2015
Shinsekai Yori - I just randomly decided to watch it, but my sister who watched it years ago didn't seem to like it so I didn't have very good expectations. The first few eps were "meh" for me and I disliked all of the main characters, but ever since episode 12 I was hooked. The ending made me appreciate the beginning episodes so much more.

The World God Only Knows - I dislike harems, so obviously I thought I wouldn't like it but the male MC made it so great. To this day, it's the only harem anime (well, besides OHSHC, but that's a reverse harem) I really like.

"As promised, all that you seek, all that we desire, is prepared up there. On top of the Tower."
Jan 18, 2021 5:55 PM

Apr 2019
I just started watching Monogatari because of the big boobs cat girl gif that I found online. I was fully expecting a mindless ecchi with pretty visuals and boy was I wrong. It turned out to be one of the best character study anime that I have seen in the medium and is currently my 3rd favorite show.
Jan 18, 2021 5:55 PM

Aug 2020
"Tensei shitara Slime Datta Ken" it first I was like... a slime? drop. I'm glade I stuck with it
Jan 18, 2021 6:13 PM

Aug 2019
I was expecting Magi to be decent, I still would've been surprised if Magi was just good, but it surprisingly became a favourite.
Jan 18, 2021 6:23 PM

Jul 2020
made in abyss- I thought it was just a kids adventure but didn't expect the darkness of the story

akudama drive- for some reason I didn't like the names of the characters but I ended up loving them XD
Jan 18, 2021 6:35 PM

Nov 2019
Rascal Does not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai- Got into this expecting it to be a regular old romcom with some fanservice, but boy was I wrong.

Hyouka/Koten-Bu- Saw it was really highly rated on the top list made by NHK a few years ago. Heard people called it overrated so I went into it expecting such, but came out as one of my favorites.

Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari- I thought this would be harem trash. I was pleasantly surprised that nobody was one-dimensional and it was actually enjoyable.

Eminence in the Shadow- I went into this expecting a short fun read. I laughed my ass off here.

Horimiya- Saw this was the 13th most popular manga and it was highly rated, so I gave it a try. To this day one of my favorite romcom.

Spirit Circle- I saw it in someone's favorites and on a whim gave it a try. The artwork looked very childish and wasn't expecting much. I was surprised at how much character development was in this manga.

Rental Girlfriend- I went into this expecting the trashy harem romcom. Well it is, but I can't stop reading it.
Jan 19, 2021 12:51 AM
แด›สœส€แด‡แด€แด…โ˜…ส€แด‡แด€แด˜แด‡ส€

Dec 2018
I didn't think I'd like UtaโˆฝKata based on what I heard about it from a certain YouTube video, but fanservice aside I honestly ended up liking it a lot. The main character even became one of my favorite characters and I enjoy drawing her.

I especially love this Sun Djinn outfit she had on for the first episode! A bit difficult to draw, but still very beautiful~ ♥
Jan 19, 2021 1:01 AM

Oct 2020
ef: A Tale of Memories. I was just watching it yesterday. My expectation for it were low at start, but as the episode goes on. Bruhhh, how lucky am i to gave this anime a chance before forgetting it. I'm impressed that this is not just a love story adapted from an eroge with a pathetic plot. It actually steals my goddamn heart

"๊œฑแด›ส€แด‡ษดษขแด›สœ แด๊œฐ สœแด‡แด€ส€แด›, แดกสœแด‡ษด แดœษดษชแด›แด‡แด…, ษชแด›'๊œฑ ส™แด€ส€ส€แด‡แด… ส™ส ษดแด แด…แดแดส€..." -Aigis
Jan 19, 2021 1:04 AM
busy week =_+

Dec 2014
Kimi no Na wa.
Love the background, but I do not like its character design/art style. I watched Children Who Chase Lost Voices, but I did not like its plot, so I never thought to try and watch this movie. This was recommended to me by many people, including many of my friends who aren't anime watchers. I got curious and watched it, it became one of my all time favs lol

CURRENT: semi-hiatus (busy)

Jan 19, 2021 1:08 AM

Dec 2020
I didn't like the first two chapters of Angel Beats, I didn't feel any character real for some reason. Until I saw chapter 3 and identified with Iwasawa, I began to interpret the anime better.

Yu Yu Hakusho I started it because I found his animation interesting, but I didn't start to like it so much until the growth it had since chapter 20.
Jan 19, 2021 1:08 AM
Twincool~

Oct 2018
Love Live is that show for me as well. I never thought in my life that I would ever enjoy an idol anime. But I am very glad I tried it because its spinoff Nijigasaki is perhaps and probably will be the most fun and enjoyable show I've ever seen.
Jan 19, 2021 1:10 AM

Feb 2020
Haruhi Suzumiya. I've said it many times, but I think that it is a genuinely great show and was surprised to see it's relatively low rating on MAL (7.88 I think?)
pls play jet set radio future for the microsoft xbox. thanks
Jan 19, 2021 1:15 AM

Jan 2020
Oregairu. It looked like a generic romcom to me, but boy was I wrong!
Jan 19, 2021 1:16 AM

Jun 2020
Ig beastars , its not one of my favs but i really like it still , thought it's some CG weirdo animal play and.. yes i was wrong.
Jan 19, 2021 1:16 AM

Feb 2020
Code Geass.
I expected some mecha bullshit.
I got gold. Absolute gold of a show.

Edit: Beastars as well.
Had no expectations whatsoever. The very reason I started watching the anime was because I really liked the season two OP. Anyway, I watched it and gotta say, I'm never underestimating another anime again.
SurplusSugarJan 19, 2021 1:21 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 19, 2021 1:19 AM

Apr 2020
i thought bahamut genesis virgin soul would be mid but it was so thrilling
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 19, 2021 1:28 AM

Jun 2016
Major series. S1 had surprisingly heavy themes.
Jan 19, 2021 1:31 AM

Jul 2020
I never judge an anime before watching it.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Jan 19, 2021 1:37 AM

Feb 2020
Jojo, before i watched it i only saw all the weird memes and was put off by them. Then my friends forced me to watch it and now it's my favorite franchise ever.
Jan 19, 2021 1:42 AM
Jan 2021
Definitely Aho girl.
I dropped it almost 6 times
Jan 19, 2021 1:42 AM
Swallowtail

Feb 2014
That rarely happens, I can kind of tell which anime I will enjoy and which ones I won’t. The closest one would be 3-gatsu no Lion. I knew I would like it somewhat but never expected it to end up being among my favourites.
Jan 19, 2021 1:46 AM

Aug 2020
Re:zero, definitely. at first I didn't really like it and I thought that i wouldn't like it so I dropped it. then I picked it back up, then it started to get interesting for me to watch and I actually really started to like the series and it became my favourite ^^

I also didn't think Madoka Magica would become my fav anime since I don't really like magical girl animes.

♥๏ธ ๐“๐“ท๐“ฒ๐“ถ๐“ฎ ๐“ต๐“ฒ๐“ผ๐“ฝ ♥๏ธ

“๐“ฃ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ต๐“ธ๐“ฟ๐“ฎ๐“ต๐”‚ ๐“ช๐“ท๐“ฐ๐“ฎ๐“ต ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐“ป๐“ธ๐“ถ๐“ช๐“ท๐“ฌ๐“ฎ, ๐“ฃ๐“ช๐“ฒ๐“ฐ๐“ช, ๐”€๐“ฒ๐“ต๐“ต ๐“ต๐“ฎ๐“ท๐“ญ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ๐“ป ๐“ช๐“ฒ๐“ญ.” – ๐“ฃ๐“ช๐“ฒ๐“ฐ๐“ช ๐“๐“ฒ๐“ผ๐“ช๐“ด๐“ช

Jan 19, 2021 1:46 AM
Sep 2020
Rakudai Kishi no Calvary,what seemed to be a generic magic highschool anime with fanservice actually had decent characters with personality,a badass mc who upholds his ideals,a concrete story and a romance which felt genuine.It was a show that had a lot of potential but never got a season 2 :(
Jan 19, 2021 1:49 AM
Sep 2020
3D Kanojo.
I started watching it when the new season of Re:Zero was airing, so i thought about watching something short in the middle of the break. I saw it was on my PTW and it had low rankings, but i still watched it and i had really much fun.
Jan 19, 2021 1:53 AM

Mar 2020
Monogatari and Hunter x Hunter
I thought Monogatari would be just some harem show but they got me good
Thought Hunter x Hunter would be another generic shounen but they got me good again
Jan 19, 2021 2:00 AM

Jan 2021
steins;gate, honestly thought it was going to be re:zero but not as good, turned out to be one of my favourites
"ไธๅนธใ !" - Kamijou Touma
Check out my anime list by clicking here (it's public now).

Jan 19, 2021 2:02 AM

Nov 2019
Madoka Magica, made the same stupid assumption as most people do. Thinking it's "only" a cute magical girl show...

ๆญป็ฅž

โWhat do you think are the most important things in life? Money, dreams, sympathy towards others...

Yes, they're all important things as well... But the most important thing is responsibility for your own actions.โž
- Yuichi
Jan 19, 2021 2:04 AM

Jun 2017
Black Rock Shooter. Expected a lot less from it, and it ended up giving me a pleasant surprise.
Jan 19, 2021 2:07 AM

Aug 2018
k-on
haikyuu
kaguya-sama love is war
etc.
Jan 19, 2021 2:11 AM

Mar 2016
I hate mecha, but I loved NGE and Code Geass. This is why I don't immediately ignore stuff just because I hate a genre.
Jan 19, 2021 11:21 AM

Feb 2014
Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? Season 1. I dismissed this as just another fantasy harem anime. It'd been out for a year when I had a guest pass on Cr and ended up binging the entire series in one night
That's the problem with eternal damnation, you get used to it after a while
Jan 19, 2021 11:29 AM

Jan 2020
Ore Monogatari. I started watching this anime back when I still had an issue with how characters looked; I really felt that the characters looked super offputting initially, but after watching the series, I actually fell in love with how they were drawn because it all fit accordingly to that character's personality.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Skibidi toilet piece (One piece story but with skibidi toilet)

Cyborgium - 10 hours ago

16 by Vendicator »»
7 minutes ago

» For those who ever rewatch anything, are there any anime you can't really casually rewatch in whole or in part due to intensity?

WatchTillTandava - 4 hours ago

12 by Rhaelynne »»
8 minutes ago

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst ( 1 2 )

EastIndiaCompany - Yesterday

57 by BilboBaggins365 »»
11 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Yesterday

60 by Meline0102 »»
13 minutes ago

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - 6 hours ago

16 by deg »»
21 minutes ago
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.