Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 21, 2021 4:23 AM

Oct 2015
This, too, is a toxic thread. I'm with you in defending this season, but it's a fact that CG is a cost efficiency tool in this case, and not an artistic choice. That makes it disappointing for some, such is life.

Most people aren't afraid of the "new", but the overall reduction in quality.
Jan 21, 2021 4:50 AM

Oct 2015
Znra said:
Even the use of CGI in characters were even just split second or even from a distance and you won't even notice unless you pause every frame which is something you won't do if you're watching on live TV which is primarily their main consideration. Let's be real.

Kindly explain how the Armored and Jaw CGI in the pilot episode were able to portray those features that you're looking for in an objective sense.

I agree with everything u said up until this point.

You definitely don't need to pause anywhere to notice CGI. I dont know how many animated series / movies you've watched that implement CGI, partially or fully, but the CG used in anime, even when great, is noticeable.

Just wanting to make this clear because I follow this series with a great number of friends who all have different anime viewing routines and tastes, and they all notice the CGI and wish it wasn't there, ideally.

It's ok to defend the usage of CG in this situation in particular, due to tight schedules and other internal difficulties at the studio, but I don't like when the argument is pushed to the other side to the point where we are actually acknowledging that CGI is not even noticeable when it seems as if it pops out right off the screen for a vast majority of viewers, from my perspective.
Jan 21, 2021 5:08 AM

Oct 2019
CGI is simply not as meticulous as 2d. They don’t hate it cause it’s different, it’s cause 2d is more artistic and takes time to perfect.
Jan 21, 2021 5:08 AM

Oct 2015
tirthasg said:
Rhhdaiw said:

You know I can see your animelist which has rarely CGI anime

Sherlock, I don't have the time to update my list every day like a weeb.
Oh boy that was one of the most hilarious Full-Counteeeeers I've ever read
Jan 21, 2021 5:10 AM
Jan 2018
What did you just say? CGI is new? There is nothing new about CGI, it has always been a part of anime and other forms of media a well. Most people are more than capable to tell whether the used CG is sub par or not. Criticisms are inevitable because the end consumer is unaware and couldn't care less of the backend issues and how the anime production works even though most people just utilize illegal means. Downgrade is visible and it will be a hindrance for a lot of people. This doesn't mean the show is done for or something. We're still in the best case scenario summing up the conditions retrospectively. This is far from the end game. CG is CG no matter how good it is and its never depicts the effort behind a hand-drawn scene which were used previously. There is no such thing as ' Good' CG when 2d is in the argument.
Bhaskar_SinghJan 21, 2021 5:13 AM
Subjectivity is a joke on MAL. If you implicitly bring in subjectivity in your counter argument, you've already lost the debate. Also this website is a fankid infestation , have pity on those kids by ignoring there quotes as they have absolutely no clue what exactly is going on.
Jan 21, 2021 5:30 AM
Jul 2018
Nostalgik said:
tirthasg said:

Sherlock, I don't have the time to update my list every day like a weeb.
Oh boy that was one of the most hilarious Full-Counteeeeers I've ever read

Good old banter mate!
Jan 21, 2021 5:35 AM
Jul 2018
Nostalgik said:
Znra said:
Even the use of CGI in characters were even just split second or even from a distance and you won't even notice unless you pause every frame which is something you won't do if you're watching on live TV which is primarily their main consideration. Let's be real.

Kindly explain how the Armored and Jaw CGI in the pilot episode were able to portray those features that you're looking for in an objective sense.

You definitely don't need to pause anywhere to notice CGI. I dont know how many animated series / movies you've watched that implement CGI, partially or fully, but the CG used in anime, even when great, is noticeable.

Just wanting to make this clear because I follow this series with a great number of friends who all have different anime viewing routines and tastes, and they all notice the CGI and wish it wasn't there, ideally.

It's ok to defend the usage of CG in this situation in particular, due to tight schedules and other internal difficulties at the studio, but I don't like when the argument is pushed to the other side to the point where we are actually acknowledging that CGI is not even noticeable when it seems as if it pops out right off the screen for a vast majority of viewers, from my perspective.

Couldn't agree more! You have hit the nail on the head with your perspective. But be ready to be shamed by those fanboys lurking around on this forum.
Jan 21, 2021 5:36 AM
Jul 2018
Why the fuck do you care if people hate CGI? Mind your own business will you?
Jan 21, 2021 5:49 AM

Aug 2018
tirthasg said:
Rhhdaiw said:

You know I can see your animelist which has rarely CGI anime

''Sherlock, I don't have the time to update my list every day like a weeb.''

''I can choose to spend my time the way I want to. Don't need an anti-social weeb, living in the basement of his parent's house to tell me what to do. Cheers!''

Oh no, the irony is astounding.

Calling the other guy delusional while saying stuff like that at the same time lmao. You played yourself bro.
Jan 21, 2021 5:55 AM
Jul 2018
Vimagne said:
tirthasg said:

''Sherlock, I don't have the time to update my list every day like a weeb.''

''I can choose to spend my time the way I want to. Don't need an anti-social weeb, living in the basement of his parent's house to tell me what to do. Cheers!''

Calling the other guy delusional while saying stuff like that at the same time lmao. You played yourself bro.

Aww, looks like I hit more than a nerve there matey! Sleep well cuddling onto those anime pillows.
Jan 21, 2021 6:11 AM

Aug 2018
tirthasg said:
Vimagne said:

Aww, looks like I hit more than a nerve there matey! Sleep well cuddling onto those anime pillows.

Guess that's what happens when you let your child do whatever he wants in his free time and then having to witness him becoming an edgy anime character irl. How tragic. It's probabaly irrevertable now, so you can have my sincere condolences.
Jan 21, 2021 6:21 AM
Mar 2020
IAmMyOwnGod said:
Bruh, the reason we hate cgi is because it looks as if it came from ps2's best sellers. We have plenty of experience in how cgi works. I've watched countless of anime with cgi and everyone must know that if cgi is used too much than what thr anime can handle then it will look horrible. Like holy crap, it's just lazy work. Cgi is a lot easier to make than drawing 2d. What did mappa expect? That everyone would be amazed of the future for anime??? No. Cgi, if used wrong, ruins the feeling the anime is trying to portray. Heaviness, mass, density, small muscle features, feeling, fluidity, and satisfaction is a couple out of many things that cgi ruins if done wrong.
ps2, hmm ok boomer
Jan 21, 2021 6:24 AM
Feb 2020
oblivious_22 said:
IAmMyOwnGod said:
Bruh, the reason we hate cgi is because it looks as if it came from ps2's best sellers. We have plenty of experience in how cgi works. I've watched countless of anime with cgi and everyone must know that if cgi is used too much than what thr anime can handle then it will look horrible. Like holy crap, it's just lazy work. Cgi is a lot easier to make than drawing 2d. What did mappa expect? That everyone would be amazed of the future for anime??? No. Cgi, if used wrong, ruins the feeling the anime is trying to portray. Heaviness, mass, density, small muscle features, feeling, fluidity, and satisfaction is a couple out of many things that cgi ruins if done wrong.
ps2, hmm ok boomer

??? Ps2 isn't from the boomer generation though...
Jan 21, 2021 6:26 AM
Jul 2018
Vimagne said:
tirthasg said:

Guess that's what happens when you let your child do whatever he wants in his free time and then having to witness him becoming an edgy anime character irl. How tragic. It's probabaly irrevertable now, so you can have my sincere condolences.

Looks like you can describe yourself quite accurately despite overloading your neuroreceptors with dopamine from binge-watching anime. Fascinating indeed! A quick glance over your profile page made my eyes roll tbh. Overly italicized sentences, cringy dropdowns, poor choice, and usage of colors. Oh, what a messy affair! Can't say I expect any better from a weeb. My heartfelt condolences to your family for having to domesticate you.
Jan 21, 2021 6:28 AM
Mar 2020
IAmMyOwnGod said:
oblivious_22 said:
ps2, hmm ok boomer

nope but your thinking and way of comparing CGI is... if you really think that the CGI looks like ps2 games CGI then, you should get your eyes checked ASAP
Jan 21, 2021 6:42 AM
Feb 2020
oblivious_22 said:
IAmMyOwnGod said:

nope but your thinking and way of comparing CGI is... if you really think that the CGI looks like ps2 games CGI then, you should get your eyes checked ASAP

As i said before, I said it in a hyperbole way. It's a way to compare two things that are closely related but still a bit of an exaggeration.
Jan 21, 2021 6:51 AM
Mar 2020
IAmMyOwnGod said:
oblivious_22 said:

As i said before, I said it in a hyperbole way. It's a way to compare two things that are closely related but still a bit of an exaggeration.
lmao, yeah Ik Ik, but its hyperbole ultra pro max version, If you would have compared to to the partly closer cgi like ajin aur knights of sidonia then I would definitely have agreed,(but aot still looks better tho) but never mind its okay
Jan 21, 2021 6:56 AM
Feb 2020
oblivious_22 said:
IAmMyOwnGod said:

lmao, yeah Ik Ik, but its hyperbole ultra pro max version, If you would have compared to to the partly closer cgi like ajin aur knights of sidonia then I would definitely have agreed,(but aot still looks better tho) but never mind its okay

Hehehe aight. Anyways, thanks for having this little conversation with me but i gotta go do some work i really don't wanna do.
Jan 21, 2021 7:04 AM

Aug 2018
tirthasg said:
Vimagne said:

Looks like you can describe yourself quite accurately despite overloading your neuroreceptors with dopamine from binge-watching anime. Fascinating indeed! A quick glance over your profile page made my eyes roll tbh. Overly italicized sentences, cringy dropdowns, poor choice, and usage of colors. Oh, what a messy affair! Can't say I expect any better from a weeb. My heartfelt condolences to your family for having to domesticate you.

All of that while having 250 completed anime and twice the amount of days watched more than me. The great cycle of irony? ;)

Also, didn’t know that proud non-weebs like yourself spend this much time on an anime forum, while also bombarding people with edgy posts who don’t share the same opinion as them. Interesting indeed, don’t you think?

Anyway, have fun doing that lmao. I know that you will be saddened since it seems like it’s your main activity these days, but I won’t respond to your quotes anymore, cause it’s literally pointless against such a delusional creature. Sorry, and I wish you quick recovery. (If possible).
Jan 21, 2021 7:08 AM
Mar 2020
IAmMyOwnGod said:
oblivious_22 said:

Hehehe aight. Anyways, thanks for having this little conversation with me but i gotta go do some work i really don't wanna do.
I'm on the same boat as you bro, Can understand very well, though our tastes are quite similar
Jan 21, 2021 7:32 AM
Jul 2018
Vimagne said:
tirthasg said:

All of that while having 250 completed anime and twice the amount of days watched more than me. The great cycle of irony? ;)

Also, didn’t know that proud non-weebs like yourself spend this much time on an anime forum, while also bombarding people with edgy posts who don’t share the same opinion as them. Interesting indeed, don’t you think?

Anyway, have fun doing that lmao. I know that you will be saddened since it seems like it’s your main activity these days, but I won’t respond to your quotes anymore, cause it’s literally pointless against such a delusional creature. Sorry, and I wish you quick recovery. (If possible).

Mate, it's because I came across anime even before you were in your nappies, crying. I reckon I have watched more quality content than the trash, which weebs such as you worship all year long.

A person who can't come up with a comeback without having to use lingos like "edgy" is probably one himself. You probably are, considering the fact that you cared to re-open a conversation that ended days ago, and originally didn't even involve you in the first place.

Oh lucky me! Thank you for entertaining me with your autistic behavior. You will be remembered as a tale of that weeb who lost his way on the internet, to cheer up my mates after a long day of work, as we gulp down our beers. So long mate! Hope you get access to therapy for your ADHD and Weeb cocktail personality. Cheers!
Jan 21, 2021 7:53 AM
Jul 2018
Sad7727 said:
simply cannot understand how people can see this and still say the CGI looks fine
the trailer was a disgrace,they shouldn't have baited people with it

Do you know how much time needed for making a CGI model?
There is no way they could finish CGI models in 2 months for that trailer
Production committe should not have wanted a trailer before they finished CGI models
Jan 21, 2021 8:20 AM

May 2015
Nostalgik said:

Fully understood, I stand corrected.

That was a complete mistake on my part and my poor choices of words just added up to the misunderstanding, I admit. Sorry about that.

I do agree that the CGI has been conspicuous for most, but it has its moments wherein it blends well with the 2D compared to the normal CGI utilization that we see in other titles to date, and calling it bad CGI is stretching it too far. That's just what I'm trying to say after seeing so much vitriol from others about the matter in hand. This isn't as bad as Gonzo's CGI in the early 2000s and yet a lot seems to talk like it is when it's clearly far from it. While I really prefer to see the whole thing done traditionally, how the CGI was used so far is something that I can completely get behind at all.

I hope this is enough to clear things up from what I've said earlier. I'm with you re: your perspective about the whole thing, for one.
ZnraJan 21, 2021 8:23 AM

Those with dirty minds will find my Steam pic offensive
Jan 21, 2021 8:27 AM

Sep 2020
I can't say I hate it but tbh CGI lacks satisfaction for me
I mean things look so unreal
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 21, 2021 9:20 AM
Sep 2019
mtm66 said:
I don’t think there’s anything wrong with hating CGI. Honestly, i hate it. I think it’s one of the mortal sins of anime. Part of what got me into anime so many years ago was the labor of animators that really brought characters on the screen into such vibrant life. Of course, I love the depth of story and characters themselves too but the animation plays no small part in my love of the art. I don't mind a little CGI that’s reasonably well done but i think it hurts to see one of your favorite series, one whose meticulously animated fight scenes and incredible character designs you’ve come to admire so much, reduced to rough, choppy computer generated images. It’s frustrating. I think some people may be addressing their frustration inappropriately or misdirecting self-righteous anger but i cant say i don't get where they're coming from. I even thought Mappa was doing a great job animating the series in the first 5 episodes, i was HYPED. But seeing the titan fight, one of my favorite parts of the series, i fell from such an incredible height. It was painfully disappointing. I understand what people here are saying about Mappa and the animators having a tight schedule and doing their best but you have to see where fans of the animation are coming from, too.

Agreed. Nobody would've complained if the all the titans were CG from the beginning but they are not. Yes the CGI looks good than the majority of the anime out there but when you look at the 59 episodes before it, its such a major downgrade. Its not that I hate CGI as a whole, but only in anime since its always done half assedly because 1) Weekly anime dont have that kind of budget & 2) they dont have that kind of time to make it look good in a 2D environment. CGI's potential is massive compared to 2D animation. Just look at all the animated hollywood movies, for example, Into the Spider-verse. It looks phenomenal and I don't think I've seen an animated movie better than it. Its a fully rotoscoped movie. But anime studios can't pull it off beacuse of the reasons stated above. I've read the manga and I was hyped to see the fight animated in its full glory but I just got disappointed with the episode. I stopped reading it a long time ago at the part which is only a few episodes ahead now, to experience the story in its full animated glory as it is a completely different and better experience than reading the manga, but after the latest episode, I just went back and caught up with the manga as it didn't seem worth it waiting one full week for a new episode just to end up being disappointed and now I think I like how the manga looks even more than the anime. Oh Wit, how much I miss you.
Jan 21, 2021 9:35 AM
Dec 2020
MAK_680 said:
mtm66 said:
I don’t think there’s anything wrong with hating CGI. Honestly, i hate it. I think it’s one of the mortal sins of anime. Part of what got me into anime so many years ago was the labor of animators that really brought characters on the screen into such vibrant life. Of course, I love the depth of story and characters themselves too but the animation plays no small part in my love of the art. I don't mind a little CGI that’s reasonably well done but i think it hurts to see one of your favorite series, one whose meticulously animated fight scenes and incredible character designs you’ve come to admire so much, reduced to rough, choppy computer generated images. It’s frustrating. I think some people may be addressing their frustration inappropriately or misdirecting self-righteous anger but i cant say i don't get where they're coming from. I even thought Mappa was doing a great job animating the series in the first 5 episodes, i was HYPED. But seeing the titan fight, one of my favorite parts of the series, i fell from such an incredible height. It was painfully disappointing. I understand what people here are saying about Mappa and the animators having a tight schedule and doing their best but you have to see where fans of the animation are coming from, too.

Agreed. Nobody would've complained if the all the titans were CG from the beginning but they are not. Yes the CGI looks good than the majority of the anime out there but when you look at the 59 episodes before it, its such a major downgrade. Its not that I hate CGI as a whole, but only in anime since its always done half assedly because 1) Weekly anime dont have that kind of budget & 2) they dont have that kind of time to make it look good in a 2D environment. CGI's potential is massive compared to 2D animation. Just look at all the animated hollywood movies, for example, Into the Spider-verse. It looks phenomenal and I don't think I've seen an animated movie better than it. Its a fully rotoscoped movie. But anime studios can't pull it off beacuse of the reasons stated above. I've read the manga and I was hyped to see the fight animated in its full glory but I just got disappointed with the episode. I stopped reading it a long time ago at the part which is only a few episodes ahead now, to experience the story in its full animated glory as it is a completely different and better experience than reading the manga, but after the latest episode, I just went back and caught up with the manga as it didn't seem worth it waiting one full week for a new episode just to end up being disappointed and now I think I like how the manga looks even more than the anime. Oh Wit, how much I miss you.
I sometimes get depressed too when I watch some clips of season 2 (peak quality of the anime) and watch the trailer. Mappa would give us the same quality and maybe even better than wit because the titans in the trailer looked very nice. Its just... they need at least 6-8 months more time but unfortunately kodansha wants the anime to air before the manga ends. The season is definitely good and has still good quality animation but looking at the events in the Final 2-3 arcs it just needs more justice
Attack on Titan ended with chapter 123 and 130/131 is the epilogue
Jan 21, 2021 9:38 AM
Nov 2015
nah its literally because it's unappealing to look at with few exceptions
Jan 21, 2021 9:43 AM
Sep 2019
yaegerist-15 said:
MAK_680 said:

I sometimes get depressed too when I watch some clips of season 2 (peak quality of the anime) and watch the trailer. Mappa would give us the same quality and maybe even better than wit because the titans in the trailer looked very nice. Its just... they need at least 6-8 months more time but unfortunately kodansha wants the anime to air before the manga ends. The season is definitely good and has still good quality animation but looking at the events in the Final 2-3 arcs it just needs more justice

Thats exactly how I feel. I honestly get so sad thinking how weird and janky the upcoming Levi vs Beast titan fight and the shiganshina battle is gonna look in full CGI. It pains my heart to think the final arc which is soo good even when compared to the previous arcs is not getting the absolute top-tier adaptation it deserves. Its so sad that one of the greatest stories in anime is getting destroyed because of some greedy executives who just wanted to make some cash. This world is cruel.
Jan 21, 2021 9:54 AM
Oct 2018
I am fine with CGI. They can use CGI on titans as much as they like but using CGI on humans is pretty weird. The CGI used on Jean and Connie was quite noticeable in ep 6.
Jan 21, 2021 10:10 AM
Aug 2020
I don't mind the cgi
tbh some cgi scenes were not good in episode 6, but overall it was a great episode.
I give it 8/10
Jan 21, 2021 10:33 AM
Jul 2018
Weebslayerr69 said:
Rhhdaiw said:
They will hate CGI even if it's good because CGI is different than what they used to
They aren't liking CGI because it's new to them and they are afraid of "new"
If all of the people have a mentality like "if its new then its bad" we still would live in caves

Cgi is bad no matter how many times you try to justify it, it won't change the fact that it's bad.

Duh
CGI is not just about character models
One of your favorites anime, Youjo Senki, has a lot of CGI too
If CGI did not exist we could not see fancy camera works that Youjo Senki and Attack on Titan has
Go back to your cave
Jan 21, 2021 12:27 PM
Aug 2017
Sad7727 said:
simply cannot understand how people can see this and still say the CGI looks fine
the trailer was a disgrace,they shouldn't have baited people with it

Just fucking stop man đź’”
Just when i finally think the final season is amazing, You go on and make a comparison like this. Final season had so much potential. I can not understand how these people are saying cgi is amazing when its clearly a big fucking downgrade. By the looks of it the next ep is going to be worse than ep6 no hope left for the rest of series . Welp imma pretend the final season never happened.
Jan 21, 2021 1:00 PM
Jun 2015
Yall want Meliodas vs Escanor animation instead? I mean honestly thus CGI is 100000000 times better, but if yall complain Mappa could do it. Ungrateful twats
Jan 21, 2021 1:07 PM
Jul 2018
Weebslayerr69 said:
Rhhdaiw said:

Duh
CGI is not just about character models
One of your favorites anime, Youjo Senki, has a lot of CGI too
If CGI did not exist we could not see fancy camera works that Youjo Senki and Attack on Titan has
Go back to your cave

If you're agreeing to what I'm saying then why are you coming at me, I don't got time for your sorry ass

Most of the camera works in this scene are CGI
Are you really think they are bad :
Jan 21, 2021 1:20 PM
Sep 2020
Just wanna point out, the CGI haters are a really, really, really, small but loud minority. The show is at a 9.16 on myanimelist (which is insane, and will only expect it to go higher once future stuff gets animated that cgi wont be an issue of), and the so called "infamous ep6" is dominating the charts on IMDB with a 9.9, already the 17th best episode of all time (and I believe for episode rankings, IMDb is the most accurate)
Jan 22, 2021 2:47 AM
Aug 2020
CGI has been used in anime for so long mostly for mecha.Anything is good if it is done well and attack on titan S4 nailed it.They exceeded my expectations
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » If Eren was in avatar...

TASM18 - Apr 17

18 by belugaanime »»
Apr 19, 2:12 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin: The Final Season Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 7, 2021

513 by JoestarEISH_020 »»
Apr 13, 8:01 AM

» Isayama: The Perfect Architect ( 1 2 )

Mikasa - Mar 29, 2021

65 by benisfroms »»
Apr 10, 8:21 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin: The Final Season Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Jan 10, 2021

986 by Jasmin061011 »»
Apr 2, 8:12 AM

» Falco and Gabi…

Arddaa52 - Jul 25, 2021

20 by Adrena »»
Mar 27, 6:50 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.