Forum Settings
Forums

most ridiculous arguments you ever encountered in MAL?

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jan 14, 2021 5:31 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
There's a lot. Whenever you make a forum career of textwalling about ecchi, you basically have to go all in.

I think I personally remember the one where it was "implied" that I was a potential rapist, though, because I didn't take issue with panty shots and stuff in anime. Either that or most of the shit that ends up on my profile, only reason that one isn't there - along with a few others off of the top of my head - is because MAL's search function is dogshit and those were well before I decided to start keeping track of these things.

Jan 14, 2021 5:46 AM

Apr 2020
The argument was that if you know that you are not going to like it then don't watch it

This is not the most ridiculous bit fresh in my memory

@sheklom oh sorry I edited it.
Tristar_ShinobiJan 14, 2021 6:47 AM
Jan 14, 2021 6:05 AM

Jan 2019
Tristar_Shinobi said:
The argument that if you know that you are not going to watch it then don't watch it

This is not the most ridiculous bit fresh in my memory

How does that even work? Do you mean "not going to like" or actually "not going to watch"?
Jan 14, 2021 6:12 AM

Oct 2008
Do these work?

My favourite anime is better than your favourite anime because I said so.

You can't lewd waifu, because a waifu is supposed to only be protected.

Your taste is shit because I don't like what you have rated high on the scale of 1/10.
Jan 14, 2021 7:28 AM
Feb 2015
Soo many.. even just blacklisted people to not see their stupid comments
Jan 14, 2021 7:31 AM

May 2015
way too many to list, though my favorite has always been "stop liking things I dont like" and its variants.

edit. I have a new winner. "If you dislike AoT, you're doing it for some ulterior motive"
billybubJan 14, 2021 7:42 AM
Jan 14, 2021 8:16 AM

Sep 2014
ThousandCuts said:
People that just toss the term 'overrated' around like it's candy, which is basically 80% of the arguments I see in MAL

Overrated is not an argument. Stop seeing this as one.
Jan 14, 2021 9:39 AM

Apr 2015
I'd say every time same users decide to log in and start threads that include anything to do with USA's "culture war" hard to say if genuinely or for some action in ad, they're always same shit with same arguments from year to another.

Oh and most arguments people try to have around dub vs sub are ridiculous, but I have hard time understanding why care which one someone likes to watch.

Shit almost forgot but there has been some long ass posts going on how if you don't appreciate moe and ecchi you aren't even actual fan and enemy to the weebs or some shit like that.
Jan 14, 2021 9:46 AM
Feb 2016
I remember getting into a long argument long time ago with feminists and their white knights once.

They got at me for saying I think it would be cool for guys to hit female tsunderes as they hit guys all the time and they accused me of promoting violence on girls.

The hypocrisy was strong in that one
Jan 14, 2021 9:49 AM
Jul 2018
I think the most ridiculous argument I encountered was when I created a forum thread asking what people considered a "great" or "masterpiece" anime. I wasn't trying to present it as a dumb question. I was merely trying to understand my own criteria for rating anime as a "9" and "10." I was new to rating anime when I first started on MAL. So I didn't have any experience with critically analyzing the anime I watched. But rather than trying to understand the context of my question, people just mocked me and insulted me. They were treating my question as if I didn't how to define the words "great" and "masterpiece." It made me realize how some people in the anime community can be toxic.
Jan 14, 2021 10:00 AM

Feb 2016
V1D1T said:
There are many of them but the most hilarious one is
Attack on Titan is the "Peak Fiction"(Dont bite me Aot fans, I am an AOT fan as well and I consider the show to be great and even if you say its a masterpiece I dont mind but if you think its "Peak Fiction" then my friend you need to watch other shows)

Not long from now, we’ll be seeing a lot of people claim that Muv Luv is “peak fiction” and that Attack on Titan ripped it off. Or even worse, people will claim that Muv Luv ripped off Attack on Titan.
その目だれの目?
Jan 14, 2021 10:07 AM

Aug 2017
-A left-wing girl accusing the Shield Hero author of being sexist lmao.
-SJW saying women must be real and not sexy...and: "are you sure you're not the one who has something against women?"
-SJW insulting anime fans cuz they don't share his/her twisted morals.
NurguburuJan 14, 2021 2:50 PM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jan 14, 2021 10:07 AM

Mar 2016
I came across a person saying Bakugo is an abuser to Torodoki?? Huh??

just wanna feel wanted by someone other than the police 😫
Jan 14, 2021 10:16 AM

Oct 2013
I personally love that so many people complain about the lack of originality in newer anime. People claiming (x) ripped off (y) without bothering to look up which actually came first. The refusal to acknowledge that literally everything has ripped-off something else in some capacity by now, and that it's been that way for years.

Also gotta love the simplicity of dismissing an entire fanbase by calling them (x)tards. Fucking brilliant...Why put in the extra effort if you don't need to?
FanofActionJan 14, 2021 10:24 AM
Jan 14, 2021 10:40 AM

Jul 2020
I remember there was someone who thought that it wasn't toxic to spam 1 ratings for shows. It was pretty stupid and the posts are removed now.
Jan 15, 2021 6:42 AM

Dec 2020
anything that is about new anime watchers or Season 4 of attack on titan

People with boobs > people with no boobs.

My lemons > ur lemons
Please just send to profile ^^
Jan 15, 2021 6:47 AM
Jul 2018
"If you don't like it, why do you watch it?"
"You have so many bad scores, do you even like anime?"
"It's all subjective, so I can shit on your favorite anime but you can't on mine"
Jan 15, 2021 7:04 AM

Apr 2020
V1D1T said:
Attack on Titan is the "Peak Fiction"(Dont bite me Aot fans, I am an AOT fan as well and I consider the show to be great and even if you say its a masterpiece I dont mind but if you think its "Peak Fiction" then my friend you need to watch other shows)

This is the greatest take of all time.
Jan 15, 2021 7:30 AM

Oct 2010
I just remembered when haruhi fans were arguing if she was a virgin or not, funny enough, there was plenty of proof that she wasn't.
Jan 15, 2021 7:36 AM
Jul 2018
"Liking a flawed character is wrong" - This was referring to characters who have pervy tendencies, like its fiction, what he's doing is not real and so you can make them get away with more, Kazuma for example (hey the guy above me likes him so he'll understand lol)

He's flawed and an asshole but that's what makes him so funny and the same applies to the rest of the Konosuba Crew... saying Kazuma is a bad character because he steals panties is funny if anything, I don't know if that made sense but ain't nobody saying I'm the devil because I laughed at some guy swaying some undergarments around.
Jan 15, 2021 7:38 AM

Apr 2020
Saber_Evergarden said:
currently I am having a war with this user that fell into mad love with Nino Nakano. I stated that Yotsuba Nakano is better and he began shitting on me, sigh...

Your signature talks on your behalf
Jan 15, 2021 7:40 AM

Mar 2017
A recent one.

"If you don't like criminals punished in excessively cruel and ironic (with regards to their transgressions) ways, then you are a criminal lover and you should be in jail."

I live in Duterte's Philippines and it's the same batshit stupid argument people here use to excuse extra-judicial killings and human rights abuses. "If you think we should not be fucking monsters to criminals, you are a criminal lover and probably a drug user and you should be in jail".
You gave up your freedom of speech when you clicked Agree to the User Agreement
This is not a public platform.
Jan 15, 2021 7:46 AM

Aug 2018
- Rape is bad, therefore the anime is bad argument
- MC is a piece of shit, therefore the anime is bad argument
- Assume MC has every kind of ability in a fantasy unless stated otherwise, and if they cannot solve any given problem without an explanation it's a plothole argument
-It's generic, therefore it's bad argument
Jan 15, 2021 7:52 AM

Feb 2020
"[anime name] is so underrated!"

The show in question always fits one of these categories:

1: actually has a very high rating on MAL and isn't underrated in this slightest (usually this one)
2: panned by many for a incredibly good reason
3: ACTUALLY fits the dictionary term for underrated, but this pretty much never happens.

I see the word 'underrated' used incorrectly so often, and it really pisses me off.

Also saw someone try to argue that watching One Piece "wasn't a big investment"
pls play jet set radio future for the microsoft xbox. thanks
Jan 15, 2021 7:52 AM

Sep 2008
"it takes 3 years to complete 200 anime if not more.
who the fuck remembers what they watched by then?
how are you supposed to revisit scores if you don't even remember the show?"
this one made me smile, it was recent too
馬鹿げた倫理 全部ガラクタで
Jan 15, 2021 7:53 AM

Dec 2015
People that don't think that someone that has watched 2k shows has more experince then someone that have watched 200 shows.

Based on my view, the more you watch the more you learn about the Anime World.

A lot of Shounen poeple don't believe in that. As it's enough to watch a few Battle Shounen show to learn everything about the "Anime World"

Jan 15, 2021 7:55 AM

Apr 2020
a user that said that if you don´t have anime merch and you watch dub, you are not a real anime fan
Jan 15, 2021 7:55 AM
Feb 2017
Opticflash said:
- Assume MC has every kind of ability in a fantasy unless stated otherwise, and if they cannot solve any given problem without an explanation it's a plothole argument

Please try to explain how rape is bad, I’d love to hear you actually give valid reasons.
Jan 15, 2021 7:56 AM
Jul 2018
Eanki said:
"If you don't like criminals punished in excessively cruel and ironic (with regards to their transgressions) ways, then you are a criminal lover and you should be in jail."

Omg I hate it when people say this, I remember a chat ages back that went something like this.

It went on for a while but needless to say, I'm glad I'm never seeing him again 😂
removed-userJan 15, 2021 8:02 AM
Jan 15, 2021 7:57 AM

Mar 2017
BlakexEkalb said:
Opticflash said:

Please try to explain how rape is bad, I’d love to hear you actually give valid reasons.

He is defending your show and you just have to be a contrarian for the sake of being a contrarian. This is hilarious.
Jan 15, 2021 8:00 AM
Jan 2018
Oh god, I remember.
On the "The Day I Became a God" forums, somebody made "Generic MAL aggregate score complaint thread no.2098801".
The person argued that all the shounen shows were getting 10s by ADD teens who only like fighting, while "amazing" shows like "The Day I Became a God" are not as well scored)

But most crybait/melodrama shows usually get nice scores by the time they finished airing (The Day I Became a God was disappointing in its melodrama, so it didn't get a high score), and while shounen gets higher scores sometimes, they also get really low ones.

The thread implies that the enjoyment of shounen is shallow, but how is that not a thing for other genres? Especially for crybait/melodrama.

At the end of the thread he responded ti the people that agreed with him, and those that didn't agree, he called "assholes that ruin everything", or something like that.

The thread then got locked.
Jan 15, 2021 8:04 AM

Nov 2019
Ghemotoc said:
offcrack said:
this of course devolved into another aot thread lmaoooooo

aot debate is peak debate, that's a fact.

Ah yes peak fiction begots peak debates.
Don't let others ruin things for you. Even if a toxic fan pisses in your cereal, you could just get another bowl of cereal.
My Anime List - My Manga List
Jan 15, 2021 8:07 AM
May 2018
"If an anime has a high rating, that means the majority loves it". And guess what, somebody actually said that in that very thread, lol.

Not every viewer in the world gives a rating. In fact, most are silent, so no one actually knows what "the majority" thinks of any show.
The truth is, anyone using this argument just wants to have the majority on their side because it comforts them in the idea that their opinion is right (another stupid idea: an opinion is never right or wrong).
And of course, even if "the majority" agreed with you, it wouldn't mean shit about the actual show. If anything, what "the majority" thinks should be considered the opposite of right since the majority is stupid anyway, lol. (It's just a joke, but really, what "most people" think absolutely doesn't matter, ever).

Another argument that I hate is "if you don't like it, stop talking about it". It's another mental gymnastic used by people who desperately want/need to think their opinion is right. I'll have to be rude here, but I'm not aiming at anyone specifically: as long as you want people who disagree with you to shut up, you're nothing but an authoritarian pice of cr*p. People who hate a show that you love have just as much the right to talk about it as you.

Recently though, the most annoying "argument" or "thing" coming out of MAL is: always talking about AoT. You do realize there's a lot more shows, right? And yet it keeps being brought up in discussions. Every. Fucking. Time.
Dante012Jan 15, 2021 8:12 AM
Everything changes. Even the happy and funny things eventually disappear. How can I still enjoy this place then?
- Furukawa Nagisa (Clannad)

You have to make a choice. Either you give up on your soul for the sake of science, or you give up on science to save your soul. In my case, the soul was already in pieces.
- Lloyd Asplund (Code Geass)

Do you understand the meaning behind Nunnaly's smile? She can't see or walk. So there are things in this world that she knows she can't do alone. Her smile... is her only way to show gratitude.
- Lelouch Vi Britannia (Code Geass)

Death is part of Life.
- ... Me.
Jan 15, 2021 8:15 AM

Jul 2017
this happened a while ago so I can't remember all the details per se, but I think this happened on a question talking about melodrama or something

For me, it was pretty late at night and I was getting ready to sleep, so I simply wrote out just a harmless meta joke as a reply and it was meant to be that. Nothing too serious and by no means related to my actual opinions on the topic

Now, usually it would've ended there

but no

For whatever reason, someone else tried calling me out, saying that what I had said was a true reflection of my opinion. Ok, fair enough they might think that way, so if I just clarify that it was indeed a joke then all should be good then?

but no

In what I can only describe as absolute wtf, said user was very goddamn adamant that my little joke post somehow reflective of my true opinions, and that I was simply "hiding behind claiming it's just a "joke". like bro wtf I legit spent 10 seconds writing it, there's no secrecy behind it, but for whatever reason this user was dead set on proving that they were somehow right. It went on for a few posts before finally ending

If it had ended after my first clarification, then I would've just let bygones be bygones and moved on, buts it's precisely the fact that somehow it carried on longer than it should've, and somehow said user truly believed they were in the right for whatever reason, that makes it so weird lol
Jan 15, 2021 8:19 AM
Feb 2017
Eanki said:
BlakexEkalb said:

He is defending your show and you just have to be a contrarian for the sake of being a contrarian. This is hilarious.

People fail to actually give a solid reason as to why rape is bad.
Jan 15, 2021 8:26 AM
Jan 2018
BlakexEkalb said:
Eanki said:

The person is saying that the "rape = bad show" argument is bad. He is not saying that rape makes a bad show.
Jan 15, 2021 8:28 AM
Feb 2017
TodAboT said:
BlakexEkalb said:

The person is saying that the "rape = bad show" argument is bad. He is not saying that rape makes a bad show.

Yes, but I'm saying how is rape bad in the first place it's not bad at all!
Jan 15, 2021 8:29 AM

Sep 2020
sub vs. dub arguments. who the hell cares? also some troll saying you're not a real anime fan if you've never spent a cent on anime, don't read manga, watch dubs, and only watch the most basic series.
Jan 15, 2021 8:31 AM

Mar 2017
BlakexEkalb said:
Eanki said:

The legal, medical, and psychological arguments you can search online explaining why committing rape is bad is not reason enough to consider committing rape a crime for you? Man, this contrarian level is over 9000.
Jan 15, 2021 8:33 AM

Aug 2018
BlakexEkalb said:
Opticflash said:

Not my argument, look at seasonal anime threads for Kaifuku Jutsushi no Yarinaoshi this season
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?animeid=40750
Jan 15, 2021 8:34 AM

Mar 2020
This one guy that keeps trying to convince everyone on almost every thread I've seen him on that Violet Evergarden is the worst anime ever
Jan 15, 2021 8:36 AM

Mar 2017
Opticflash said:
BlakexEkalb said:

Not my argument, look at seasonal anime threads for Kaifuku Jutsushi no Yarinaoshi this season

He is asking you to prove that rape, the crime itself, is a bad thing.
Jan 15, 2021 8:40 AM

Oct 2010
reading this thread, why do people think snk is peak fiction when it copied from:
claymore (everything in regards to the titans/yoma, inherited memories, the mainland)
blue gender (survival anime, main character has the power of the monsters)
tetsuwan birdy (altan empire story is eldian empire story. Grischa Jäger is a copy of Cristella Revi)
gundam (mecha/titan)

yes, peak fiction right here
CatalanoJan 15, 2021 8:46 AM
Jan 15, 2021 8:41 AM

Aug 2018
Eanki said:
Opticflash said:

He is asking you to prove that rape, the crime itself, is a bad thing.

I am not claiming rape (the crime) is bad lol. It's not even relevant to Anime Discussion.
Jan 15, 2021 8:50 AM

Jun 2020
I don't get into arguments online, but I sure like to read them. The most ridiculous arguments that I see on here are where people start to bring up the political climate in the US. I mean, it's tiresome just being an American citizen alone, not too sure why people feel like bringing it up on an anime forum.
Jan 15, 2021 8:51 AM

Jan 2020
V1D1T said:

Do you think its ridiculous to claim that any show is peak fiction? Or do you mean that claiming that Aot specifically is peak fiction is ridiculous?
Jan 15, 2021 8:52 AM

Jan 2017
On a topic about most unique characters:

An user writes, that Naruto comes to mind despite being a generic shonen MC just better executed.
I guess semantics aren't his strongsuit.

Otherwise, some of the stuff like endorsing votebrigading or most of the debate, who should be on top of the rankingchart, are also pretty retarded.
Jan 15, 2021 9:00 AM

May 2020
Someone asked what to do cause he was still a virgin. He was 15 and said it was laughable and wouldn't be accepted into society if not lost by max 13. Like how and where did this man hear this.
ll
Jan 15, 2021 9:07 AM

Aug 2020
theres the current one about eren being the worst protagonist
Jan 15, 2021 9:10 AM

Apr 2015
Best ones I've seen:
-Ecchi in anime clearly tagged as such ruins and is "unnecessary"
-Liking ecchi makes you a molestor / creep
-If you don't watch old anime you have bad taste
-Cute girls ruin anime

"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9068 by animeboilolz »»
26 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

91 by Zarutaku »»
41 minutes ago

» Characters you like but everyone else hates.

Spunkert - May 17, 2023

48 by Styx_Thistle »»
42 minutes ago

Poll: » Bare feet or pantyhoses?

Absurdo_N - Yesterday

24 by Spunkert »»
44 minutes ago

Poll: » Best kind of relationship in anime?

IpreferEcchi - Apr 22

15 by Spunkert »»
47 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.