Forum Settings
Forums
Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
Jan 11, 2021 12:59 PM
Jan 2021
Hello everyone! :D

Long time ago Isayama gave an interview where he stated that initially he planned to do ending like in "The Mist":

"He had also planned a tragic ending for the series in which everybody would die, similar to that of the film adaptation of Stephen King's The Mist; but after the manga and anime gained so many fans, he began to worry about the impact that such a conclusion could have on them, and now he is unsure of whether he should go ahead with it. However, he admitted that he still likes the idea."

In an interview in 2019 it looks like he is ready to hurt his fans (in spite of manga and anime popularity):

"I think I wanted to attack something. Like betraying people or hurting people. And, well, it's not exactly nice, but hurting the readers too... In all honestly, I feel that's what I really wanted to do. For me, as a reader, when I think, "this manga will remain in my heart," it means, for example, it phenomenally hurt me: It's those kinds of experiences I'm after."

Of course, just because he wants to hurt readers, doesn't mean he is going with his initial plan for the ending. However...

Some of the users found out that the latest chapters are mirroring the initial ones (136 vs 4, 135 vs 5). For examle: Armin saying 'why won't my body move' can be seen both in chapter 4 and 136. It's also connected with the usage of special font - M6 Mincho font.

This type of mirroring could be extremely hard (or maybe impossible?) to perform from a late point in the story. It is possible that first and last chapters were planned by Isayama from the start. This could be seen as a evidence that we're going to get an ending that Isayama initially planned. And he gave an interview that he initially wanted to do "The Mist" ending :)

Alright, so how did "The Mist" end? The main character was fighting for survival alongside the ones that were closest to him at that time. However, at some point he can't see any way out of the horrible situation and kills his son and his friends so they won't suffer from something even worse. Just a few minutes later he finds out that perhaps the situation isn't as tragic as he fought and if he didn't perform the kills just a few minutes ago, they could have lived happily ever after. I think that ending was great but how could it translate to Attack on Titan?

There were A LOT of deaths in chapter 2. That was the chapter when titans broke and Eren's mother died. If we're going to get 'the mirror', chapter 138 could be the tragic chapter where Eren kills most of his friends.

But what about 'if he didn't perform the kills just a few minutes ago, they could have lived happily ever after' from the Mist? Armin is in the paths now. Perhaps with the help of Zeke he will be able to talk with Ymir and have an emotional talk with her. The problem could be diagnosed as 'the centipede'. Armin, Zeke and Ymir somehow destroy the centipede, ending the connection between all eldians. This would also mean that Armin dies since he was in the paths.

Poof! The titan curse is no more! Armin is the one that saved humanity (it was foreshadowed before), but he is dead. Most of his friends are also dead as they were killed by Eren. All of the military bases in the world are destroyed so paradis is safe. It will be generations before the remaining people will be able to restore humanity outside of the walls and when they will - it won't be possible to find out who is eldian and who is not - the titan curse ended and the blood tests won't work anymore. Eren's closest friends could have also enjoyed the peace if he hadn't killed them for a few more minutes.

The last chapter could be Eren living in pain (mirror of Eren talking to Mikasa and crying, this time Mikasa has short hair). He is free, he has a child with Historia, but his life is a constant pain. The last frame is Eren holding a baby saying 'you are free' while crying and having regrets at the same time.

This is in line with AnR ending, check out this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrQ0zZArUV8

The creator of the video didn't deny if he already knows the ending. This could be seen as a further proof that we are going to get an ending like that.

Bonus points: Eren kills Annie and Reiner in front of their parents

Extra bonus points: in the last chapter when Eren visits graves of his friends, Annie and Reiner parents are there as well. They never treated them correctly, only pursuing personal gains. In the end they witnessed them being slaughtered as they were fighting for humanity's freedom. Parents are also free but they are in constant pain as well

Extra extra bonus points: those shots in chaper 136 weren't actually eldians and marleyans fighting - someone could fire in the air (Muller or Reiner's mom?) to get the attention of everyone and negotiate for peace. When titan curse is over and Eren is only a human again he could witness both Marleyans and Eldians caring for the wounded and crying about losses. He did the rumbling because he didn't see any way for peace option between them. Now after he did the rumbling he witnesses that perhaps a peace between marleyans and eldians was possible. This would give Eren even more pain for the later years. Armin initially thought that Eren would only destroy the world army that was stationed in Marley. Perhaps if there was no army a peace would be an option without sacrificing Historia? Eren will never know that. But he thinks about that. And it only gives him even more pain.

I think that an ending like this would be very painful. However, it would also be very powerful and very memorable.

Also:
-military bases are destroyed and paradis is safe (yeagerists fanbase could like the ending)
-genocide is presented as horrible and Eren regrets what he did (pacifists fanbase could like the ending)

Of course, Armin joining forces with Ymir is only one possible option that I presented. Other variants of this ending could also be achieved with different actions. I didn't insert Falco, Gabi and Levi in this so there definitely would be differences. I wanted to share a general direction a story could take if Isayama was inspired with "The Mist" while making it :)
Jan 11, 2021 1:52 PM

Jan 2009
depends on the execution if i will like the Mist Ending or not

sounds so bad to be honest it has no moral of the story for such a manga about solving the issue of the vicious cycle of hate
Jan 11, 2021 2:11 PM

Oct 2020
Ever since I found out about the AnR theory I am convinced that's what's gonna happen.
Jan 11, 2021 2:51 PM
Jan 2021
deg said:

sounds so bad to be honest it has no moral of the story for such a manga about solving the issue of the vicious cycle of hate

I think there might not be a clear message at the end that states:
"In order to solve the hate you need to..."

We got a lot of different viewpoints throughout the whole manga. Eren prefers to fight no matter what, you either fight or you die. Sasha's parents gave us a lot of lessons about forgiveness. Who is right? Does there have to be an answear to that? The world created by Isayama isn't black or white. He gave us different perspectives. Character like Floch might be hated, but it is well explained why he is taking these actions. Even though characters have different ideologies, each one of them have a solid reason why were they doing things that way. It might be up to readers to decide what is right and what is wrong. As Armin once said to Annie "A good person? Well... I don't really like that term.. because to me it just seems to mean someone who's good for you... And I don't think there's any one person who's good to everyone... So if you don't help me then to me you're a bad person, right?"

This type of ending would focus on shock value and leave hate topics for interpretation. Remember when Sasha died? People were losing their shit for months, demanding instant Gabi death and complaining that Sasha died. What if Eren kills Jean, Reiner, Annie, Connie, Pieck, Falco just in one chapter? The shock value would be incredible, most of the readers might be in bigger disbelief after every page.

In the last couple of chapters Isayama gave plot conveniences for Armin team. It seems like they are 'morally right' and we're heading for a good ending. This way, it could have even a bigger impact on readers when characters start dying one by one as most of the readers don't expect it. The humour of Pieck and Annie from last chapter may seem out of place. It could have been added on purpose so that we would 'befriend' these characters even more and be even more surprised when they start dying.

I'm just speculating. I'm fine with every ending that's going to be interesting for me :)
Jan 11, 2021 6:30 PM

May 2017
I don't know, I really doubt that he's going for that kind of ending, especially now that we know Onyankopon, Kiyomi and Yelena survived, I have a strong feeling someone from the Alliance is definitely going back to rescue them or something otherwise why didn't Isayama just kill them off before? I do feel like there will be alot of deaths in the Alliance in the next chapters though but not all of them. Also I feel like that kind of ending would've needed more build-up, can you imagine Isayama killing 10 major characters in 3 chapters? that would absolutely suck, no one would even get a proper death scene if that happened.

I've also read before that Isayama said the ending will be bittersweet, so I don't know what part of this ending would be "sweet" it seems like a complete tragedy for everyone including Eren.
Jan 11, 2021 10:35 PM

Jan 2009
MarekB said:
deg said:

I think there might not be a clear message at the end that states:
"In order to solve the hate you need to..."

We got a lot of different viewpoints throughout the whole manga. Eren prefers to fight no matter what, you either fight or you die. Sasha's parents gave us a lot of lessons about forgiveness. Who is right? Does there have to be an answear to that? The world created by Isayama isn't black or white. He gave us different perspectives. Character like Floch might be hated, but it is well explained why he is taking these actions. Even though characters have different ideologies, each one of them have a solid reason why were they doing things that way. It might be up to readers to decide what is right and what is wrong. As Armin once said to Annie "A good person? Well... I don't really like that term.. because to me it just seems to mean someone who's good for you... And I don't think there's any one person who's good to everyone... So if you don't help me then to me you're a bad person, right?"

This type of ending would focus on shock value and leave hate topics for interpretation. Remember when Sasha died? People were losing their shit for months, demanding instant Gabi death and complaining that Sasha died. What if Eren kills Jean, Reiner, Annie, Connie, Pieck, Falco just in one chapter? The shock value would be incredible, most of the readers might be in bigger disbelief after every page.

In the last couple of chapters Isayama gave plot conveniences for Armin team. It seems like they are 'morally right' and we're heading for a good ending. This way, it could have even a bigger impact on readers when characters start dying one by one as most of the readers don't expect it. The humour of Pieck and Annie from last chapter may seem out of place. It could have been added on purpose so that we would 'befriend' these characters even more and be even more surprised when they start dying.

I'm just speculating. I'm fine with every ending that's going to be interesting for me :)

ye i can definitely see a tragic and shocking ending like that

but Eren has the biggest hate here though and he is also the main character that will have a lot of focus to the cycle of hate main theme so it will be ironic to not get a solution to that
Jan 12, 2021 10:59 AM
Jan 2021
Roowanx said:
I don't know, I really doubt that he's going for that kind of ending, especially now that we know Onyankopon, Kiyomi and Yelena survived, I have a strong feeling someone from the Alliance is definitely going back to rescue them or something otherwise why didn't Isayama just kill them off before? I do feel like there will be alot of deaths in the Alliance in the next chapters though but not all of them. Also I feel like that kind of ending would've needed more build-up, can you imagine Isayama killing 10 major characters in 3 chapters? that would absolutely suck, no one would even get a proper death scene if that happened.

I've also read before that Isayama said the ending will be bittersweet, so I don't know what part of this ending would be "sweet" it seems like a complete tragedy for everyone including Eren.

The sweet in bittersweet here could be ending the titan curse. Kids born from now on will be free - they won't ever have to worry about becoming a titan or worry about eldia wars. There won't be eldians - just humans.

When it comes to Onyakopon, Yelena and Kiyomi - I think it would be possible for them to stay alive in this ending. Onyakopon is unconscious and Yelena&Kiyomi are still on boats so they wouldn't be able to affect the battle. They can just appear again after the massacre is over.

As for meaningful deaths - deaths can be sudden but still nicely executed. Sasha was killed unexpectantly. The process of killing her was very short (just a simple gun shot) and the proper attention for Sasha death was given later on in the story. Even a better example could be Female Titan vs Levi squad. We got to know the characters from Levi Squad as heroes that have great numbers when it comes to titan killing. We got some funny scenes and got to know the squad a little bit better. Their deaths were very dynamic and fast. Because of that it was more shocking to see, but I'd say that they didn't get any disrepect from Isayama. They even appeared in the latest chapter.

Deaths from last chapters could take a similar course to what we saw before. Connie might die in 138 in a dynamic way (some may say that we didn't get enough attention for a death scene), but we could get back to Connie's death in the last chapter. For example, after removing the titan curse, Connie's mother is human again. She is proud of the actions taken by her son and remembers how he visited her. This would add more pain to the chapter that would be 'Eren pain chapter' and perhaps we could say that Connie got proper death even though it was dynamic and sudden.

Not every character in the battle needs to die. Some of them might stay alive to mourn the dead:

Annie and Reiner can be remembered by their parents
Connie can be remembered by his mother 
Jean can be remembered by Mikasa (or forgotten and not mentioned by her lol :D)
Falco can be remembered by Gabi (he even promised Reiner to save her, his death to save Gabi could also be seen as keeping his promise and closing that subplot)
Levi could stay alive to remember Erwin (all titans are eradicated, but he didn't get that one order...), we even got that one now
And of course Armin can be remembered by his best friend Eren

These are just examples, but generally speaking - I think that quick deaths can also be considered as 'proper death scenes' if executed nicely :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1843Q-adWI

Roowanx said:
I feel like that kind of ending would've needed more build-up
I think the actual build-up for this was very long. If we suddenly switched to some characters and witness them dying, I would feel like we didn't get enough build-up. This is like the opposite of that situation. Ever since the rumbling started, we are mostly seeing Armin team taking action. The rumbling started over a year ago! :) A lot of people claim that Isayama does this because he wants to go with a happy ending. It can be quite the opposite - he might be focusing on Armin team so much, so that readers would be in even bigger disbelief :)
Jan 12, 2021 2:48 PM

May 2017
MarekB said:
The sweet in bittersweet here could be ending the titan curse. Kids born from now on will be free - they won't ever have to worry about becoming a titan or worry about eldia wars. There won't be eldians - just humans.

No, there will be ONLY eldians in the world with that kind of ending. I'm sure the titans will stop existing by the end of the series no matter what the ending is, but I'm not sure about everyone living happily in the future since we know that the colossals pretty much destroy everything in their way during the rumbling (they basically cooked the ocean with their steam), there will be no outside world after the rumbling is over, it will just be a wasteland, so I think even Paradis will probably suffer the consequences of that. Not to mention that Paradis is already in a crisis right now since we saw that some people are pissed at Eren because the titans destroyed some areas within the walls and killed people. Armin also mentioned that even Historia is in danger back in Paradis because of the situation, and when we saw her in 134 she's surrounded by MPs to protect her.

MarekB said:
When it comes to Onyakopon, Yelena and Kiyomi - I think it would be possible for them to stay alive in this ending. Onyakopon is unconscious and Yelena&Kiyomi are still on boats so they wouldn't be able to affect the battle. They can just appear again after the massacre is over.

Onyankopon is currently with the people on the fort (unconscious, yes, but alive) , there's no way for him to survive this unless someone saves the people on the fort and I don't understand how that's going to be possible if the rumbling continues. So in that case I guess he's just going to get stomped by titans in the end anyways, which is weird because Isayama already had a chance to kill him off in the plane crash, but he didn't. As for Yelena and Kiyomi, I don't think they will go back to Paradis, the remaining Yeagerists would probably try to kill them too, but then where else would they go if the rumbling continues? They won't just be stranded on the boats forever.

MarekB said:
Even a better example could be Female Titan vs Levi squad. We got to know the characters from Levi Squad as heroes that have great numbers when it comes to titan killing. We got some funny scenes and got to know the squad a little bit better. Their deaths were very dynamic and fast. Because of that it was more shocking to see, but I'd say that they didn't get any disrepect from Isayama. They even appeared in the latest chapter.

Sure, but are the Alliance the same as levi squad? absolutely not, so they shouldn't get the same treatment (dying for shock value). Levi squad were expendable characters who were bound to die, they didn't even have much to their characters anyway, yes they affect the story but not because they were great characters, it's through the others who still remember them. The Alliance are not like that though, It's filled with characters who have their own motivations and stories, they're characters that we've been following for years, so having all their arcs end in them dying pathetically one after another ignoring all the development they went through just to have a pity party for Eren (that wouldn't even seem genuine) would just ruin the story for me.

MarekB said:
Not every character in the battle needs to die. Some of them might stay alive to mourn the dead

But that's what the AnR theory implies would happen (all characters die except Eren and Historia). There's just some characters that I don't think it would make sense for Isayama to kill them off like Armin, Falco and Gabi. The only characters that I can't see them living by the end of the story are Levi and Mikasa. Connie might die, but I think having him return to his mother if she turns back into human would also be a nice ending for his character. Reiner has a lot of parallels with Helos (and the thickest plot armor), so I think he might live and do something heroic to redeem himself. The rest, I'm not sure, they could go either way.

I just don't think an ending that implies that genocide actually granted Paradis freedom is a good one, even if it's never been done before, it just doesn't fit with the story as a whole, the only thing going for it is that it "shocks the readers" which is not enough to make a good memorable ending. So even if Eren wins and everyone in the Alliance die, I feel like it would be better to have Eren realize in the end that what he did was meaningless and that the rumbling didn't give him the freedom that he wanted (since it basically made their world much smaller, and humanity is still far from united), it's only right for him to suffer the consequences of killing millions of innocent people.
RoowanxJan 12, 2021 3:13 PM
Jan 12, 2021 4:41 PM
Jul 2018
I prefer "Eren wins and lives with freedom, but at what cost?" instead of "Eren wins/loses and dies"
Yeah seeing Eren's death after all the things would make me sad but Akatsuki no Requiem theory is more tragic
Jan 12, 2021 4:57 PM

Oct 2019
It's... ok, for me it will depend on execution and overall fluidity with themes.

I have a huge problem with Eren just returning to his "family" and kid with historia. I don't think he's the father but that debate is way overdone.

We got so much alliance perspective and plans that it would honestly feel a little weird to me if they all just died. But we'll see.
╭⋟──────────────────────╮
"All problems come from the
human mind. In the mind, one's
consciousness is just the tip of
the iceberg. What lies beneath
the surface... the subconscious...
is far more vast."

- Shun Aonuma

╰──────────────────────⋞╯

Jan 12, 2021 9:11 PM

Jan 2009
The Mist Ending is a big possibility since Isayama says in an interview that he has no choice the story was decided right from the start already https://twitter.com/kasumi_kasa/status/1348949216735858696
Jan 13, 2021 4:57 AM
Jul 2018
If it's not AnR ending, it could be the alliance stopping The Rumbling, and then Paradis being destroyed in retaliation, making probably a lot of them regret doing what they felt was the right thing to do at the time.

So either The Rumbling is stopped by The Alliance and the power of the titans is ended, and then Paradis is destroyed in retaliation, or AnR ending where Eren feels regret over what he has done.

I do hope it's AnR ending, it just fits too well.
Jan 13, 2021 5:11 AM

May 2020
The main thing the ending needs is an Eren POV . Its very crucial to the story regardless of what ending is . I could see it happening but it needs to be executed in a very well manner or else it would be a disappointment .
Nyess_Jan 13, 2021 5:20 AM

Something that’s supposed to die and doesn’t… will eventually rot away , whether it’s a man or a nation
Jan 13, 2021 9:05 AM
Dec 2019
MarekB said:
Hello everyone! :D

Long time ago Isayama gave an interview where he stated that initially he planned to do ending like in "The Mist":

"He had also planned a tragic ending for the series in which everybody would die, similar to that of the film adaptation of Stephen King's The Mist; but after the manga and anime gained so many fans, he began to worry about the impact that such a conclusion could have on them, and now he is unsure of whether he should go ahead with it. However, he admitted that he still likes the idea."

In an interview in 2019 it looks like he is ready to hurt his fans (in spite of manga and anime popularity):

"I think I wanted to attack something. Like betraying people or hurting people. And, well, it's not exactly nice, but hurting the readers too... In all honestly, I feel that's what I really wanted to do. For me, as a reader, when I think, "this manga will remain in my heart," it means, for example, it phenomenally hurt me: It's those kinds of experiences I'm after."

Of course, just because he wants to hurt readers, doesn't mean he is going with his initial plan for the ending. However...

Some of the users found out that the latest chapters are mirroring the initial ones (136 vs 4, 135 vs 5). For examle: Armin saying 'why won't my body move' can be seen both in chapter 4 and 136. It's also connected with the usage of special font - M6 Mincho font.

This type of mirroring could be extremely hard (or maybe impossible?) to perform from a late point in the story. It is possible that first and last chapters were planned by Isayama from the start. This could be seen as a evidence that we're going to get an ending that Isayama initially planned. And he gave an interview that he initially wanted to do "The Mist" ending :)

Alright, so how did "The Mist" end? The main character was fighting for survival alongside the ones that were closest to him at that time. However, at some point he can't see any way out of the horrible situation and kills his son and his friends so they won't suffer from something even worse. Just a few minutes later he finds out that perhaps the situation isn't as tragic as he fought and if he didn't perform the kills just a few minutes ago, they could have lived happily ever after. I think that ending was great but how could it translate to Attack on Titan?

There were A LOT of deaths in chapter 2. That was the chapter when titans broke and Eren's mother died. If we're going to get 'the mirror', chapter 138 could be the tragic chapter where Eren kills most of his friends.

But what about 'if he didn't perform the kills just a few minutes ago, they could have lived happily ever after' from the Mist? Armin is in the paths now. Perhaps with the help of Zeke he will be able to talk with Ymir and have an emotional talk with her. The problem could be diagnosed as 'the centipede'. Armin, Zeke and Ymir somehow destroy the centipede, ending the connection between all eldians. This would also mean that Armin dies since he was in the paths.

Poof! The titan curse is no more! Armin is the one that saved humanity (it was foreshadowed before), but he is dead. Most of his friends are also dead as they were killed by Eren. All of the military bases in the world are destroyed so paradis is safe. It will be generations before the remaining people will be able to restore humanity outside of the walls and when they will - it won't be possible to find out who is eldian and who is not - the titan curse ended and the blood tests won't work anymore. Eren's closest friends could have also enjoyed the peace if he hadn't killed them for a few more minutes.

The last chapter could be Eren living in pain (mirror of Eren talking to Mikasa and crying, this time Mikasa has short hair). He is free, he has a child with Historia, but his life is a constant pain. The last frame is Eren holding a baby saying 'you are free' while crying and having regrets at the same time.

This is in line with AnR ending, check out this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrQ0zZArUV8

The creator of the video didn't deny if he already knows the ending. This could be seen as a further proof that we are going to get an ending like that.

Bonus points: Eren kills Annie and Reiner in front of their parents

Extra bonus points: in the last chapter when Eren visits graves of his friends, Annie and Reiner parents are there as well. They never treated them correctly, only pursuing personal gains. In the end they witnessed them being slaughtered as they were fighting for humanity's freedom. Parents are also free but they are in constant pain as well

Extra extra bonus points: those shots in chaper 136 weren't actually eldians and marleyans fighting - someone could fire in the air (Muller or Reiner's mom?) to get the attention of everyone and negotiate for peace. When titan curse is over and Eren is only a human again he could witness both Marleyans and Eldians caring for the wounded and crying about losses. He did the rumbling because he didn't see any way for peace option between them. Now after he did the rumbling he witnesses that perhaps a peace between marleyans and eldians was possible. This would give Eren even more pain for the later years. Armin initially thought that Eren would only destroy the world army that was stationed in Marley. Perhaps if there was no army a peace would be an option without sacrificing Historia? Eren will never know that. But he thinks about that. And it only gives him even more pain.

I think that an ending like this would be very painful. However, it would also be very powerful and very memorable.

Also:
-military bases are destroyed and paradis is safe (yeagerists fanbase could like the ending)
-genocide is presented as horrible and Eren regrets what he did (pacifists fanbase could like the ending)

Of course, Armin joining forces with Ymir is only one possible option that I presented. Other variants of this ending could also be achieved with different actions. I didn't insert Falco, Gabi and Levi in this so there definitely would be differences. I wanted to share a general direction a story could take if Isayama was inspired with "The Mist" while making it :)

"Eren's closest friends could have also enjoyed the peace if he hadn't killed them for a few more minutes."

How, wouldnt eren and ymir be connected and agree to their plans ? Why would he killed them if he knew what she is doing ? Unless of course jean, pieck,gabi etc try to finish him off, in which case it would be self defense...

I like your take though, not cheesy, not cliche, not the typical power of friendship take down the evil monster... an ending that gives both armin and eren a role in the titans culmination, the first one as the brain who figured out the puzzle, the second as the impassive weapon that destroyed almost every organization and political structure and made possible that the eldians couldnt be indetified after the curse is lifted... nor eren nor armin would be capable of replacing each other role... like it, i really do. And more important, it makes sense in my opinion.
Jan 13, 2021 9:24 AM

Oct 2019
I hope you're right. The AnR ending is just perfect way to end the series
Jan 13, 2021 10:01 AM
Jan 2021
Roowanx said:
Onyankopon is currently with the people on the fort unconscious, yes, but alive) , there's no way for him to survive this unless someone saves the people on the fort and I don't understand how that's going to be possible if the rumbling continues. So in that case I guess he's just going to get stomped by titans in the end anyways, which is weird because Isayama already had a chance to kill him off in the plane crash, but he didn't.

Complete rumbling can be avoided if titan curse is ended. Gabi mentioned the centipede in the last chapter so I assume we might see it again. Another interesting thing is that Attack on titan has A LOT of connections with norse mythology. That centipide would be Nidhogg and rumbling would be Ragnarok. What happens with Nidhogg in Ragnarok? This is what I found on the net:

“Þar kemr inn dimmi dreki fljúgandi,naðr fránn,
neðan frá Niðafjöllum;berr sér í fjöðrum, - flýgur völl yfir,
-Niðhöggr nái. Nú mun hon sökkvask.”

“The dark drake comes flying, the flashing viper from under Nitha-Fells
She sees Nithogg carrying corpses in his feathers as he flies over the valley.
Now she shall sink down.”

Here, in Vǫluspá (one of our most-well known and useful sources regarding the myths about Ragnarǫk) verse 66, we have a direct mention of Niðhǫggr surviving Ragnarǫk. The “she” here, refers to the undead witch who just “saw” this prophecy and is now sinking back down into her grave.

If Nidhogg goes away then that could mean titan curse is ended. If it ends before rumbling reaches fort salta then people in there could live through this. That way Isayama wouldn't have to kill Onyakopon.

Roowanx said:
Sure, but are the Alliance the same as levi squad? absolutely not, so they shouldn't get the same treatment (dying for shock value). Levi squad were expendable characters who were bound to die, they didn't even have much to their characters anyway, yes they affect the story but not because they were great characters, it's through the others who still remember them. The Alliance are not like that though, It's filled with characters who have their own motivations and stories, they're characters that we've been following for years, so having all their arcs end in them dying pathetically one after another ignoring all the development they went through just to have a pity party for Eren (that wouldn't even seem genuine) would just ruin the story for me.

I agree that Levi squad wasn't as significant as the main cast of characters. Still, I think that the main characters can't have the luxury of being unkillable. Isayama already killed characters from the main cast. If he would want to kill many of them in a short period of time then last chapters would be a fitting place to do so. I think that some of the characters will stay alive. Mikasa might be alive in the last chapter to get the mirroring effect Isayama is doing (Eren talking to Mikasa and crying, this time Mikasa has short hair). Gabi might also stay alive so that promise of Falco to Reiner can be fulfilled. I'm not saying all of the characters are going to die :) I think it will be just enough of friends so that Eren can never be happy again.

Roowanx said:
As for Yelena and Kiyomi, I don't think they will go back to Paradis, the remaining Yeagerists would probably try to kill them too, but then where else would they go if the rumbling continues? They won't just be stranded on the boats forever.

Roowanx said:
there will be no outside world after the rumbling is over, it will just be a wasteland, so I think even Paradis will probably suffer the consequences of that.
Perhaps not all of the world will be turned into wasteland. Yelena said that Eren is probably heading right to Fort Salta after destroying world armies gathered in Marley. This way some areas might still be untouched by rumbling and remaining people wouldn't have any armies to attack paradis so it would be realtively safe (probably generations before outside world could rebuild). People in Paradis in the last 100 years already thought that the outside world is a wasteland. They lived their lives without any interference (up until a certain point in time... ;)). Of course there might be some ecological problems for the world, but I don't know if Isayama would go that far to include it in the story.

Besides, this is what Ragnarok is according to wikipedia:

Ragnarök is a series of events, including a great battle, foretold to lead to the death of a number of great figures (...) After these events, the world will resurface anew and fertile

Roowanx said:
I feel like it would be better to have Eren realize in the end that what he did was meaningless and that the rumbling didn't give him the freedom that he wanted (since it basically made their world much smaller, and humanity is still far from united), it's only right for him to suffer the consequences of killing millions of innocent people.
I think this is very similar. That scenario would give us pure bitterness. If Paradis would remain safe and next generations kids would be 'free' (from titan curse and eldia wars) then we would get something sweet. We would get bitter (pain and sufering from Eren) sweet (freedom) ending.
Jan 13, 2021 10:15 AM
Jan 2021
Vinicius234 said:
"Eren's closest friends could have also enjoyed the peace if he hadn't killed them for a few more minutes."

How, wouldnt eren and ymir be connected and agree to their plans ? Why would he killed them if he knew what she is doing ? Unless of course jean, pieck,gabi etc try to finish him off, in which case it would be self defense...

Yes, Eren is just moving forward as usual :D He gave them that information so it could be considered more of a self defense than attack. Perhaps at the time of first deaths Ymir would still be eager to move forward with Eren. Maybe after Annie dies and Armin has a complete breakdown, Ymir changes her mind. When the decision to give up is made, we may already be after deaths.

------------------------

In the first post I wrote about Armin managing to make centipide go away in paths. Another option could be Armin managing to get his body back. If he could transform and break Eren in half then perhaps we could witness Nidhogg getting out. There are a lot of possibilities really. When I started this topic I had mostly 'Eren is free but is in constant pain' type of ending and the actions that lead us to it were just examples. With this option, appearance of the collosal titan could also be mirrored, but Armin would stay alive so it wouldn't fit perfectly. I hope we get this general type of ending, but I'm still not sure what would be the best way of doing it :)
Jan 13, 2021 12:03 PM
May 2018
One of my biggest issues I have with the common interpretation of AnR is that I feel like it would be an incredibly unsatisfying end to Armin's character arc. Even if he dies in the process, I want him to accomplish something big that fully justifies his survival over Erwin's, and this idea would alleviate that problem.
Jan 13, 2021 2:10 PM
Jan 2021
littlewillie610 said:
One of my biggest issues I have with the common interpretation of AnR is that I feel like it would be an incredibly unsatisfying end to Armin's character arc. Even if he dies in the process, I want him to accomplish something big that fully justifies his survival over Erwin's, and this idea would alleviate that problem.
I think that this type of ending can also be achieved with Armin being a hero :)

In my first post I wrote an example of that: "The problem could be diagnosed as 'the centipede'. Armin, Zeke and Ymir somehow destroy the centipede, ending the connection between all eldians. This would also mean that Armin dies since he was in the paths.

Poof! The titan curse is no more! Armin is the one that saved humanity (it was foreshadowed before), but he is dead."

If he can somehow end the titan curse and save future generations from titan wars then that could justify his survival over Erwin.

"Sand? This is the path! This is reality! There might be something I can do here... Yeah. Think. THINK!"

Even if he dies he might think of something clever that could change the ongoing battle. He delivered those genious plans before, this time it could be the most important :)
Jan 13, 2021 4:54 PM
Oct 2015
My 2 cents are.

I dont know, I do have preferences, and believe the ending will be like the mist.

But it could still end differently.

We will see.
Jan 13, 2021 4:56 PM
Dec 2019
littlewillie610 said:

An alliance win, eren slayed and peace treaty would be shit... i am fond of the op idea of armin helping destroying the parasyte then dying due to destruction of paths...

netherless i prefer the full ANR and him dying to eren to fulfill the cautionary tale im regard to ending 1. In that scenario the point of his character will be exactly that, he couldnt feel erwin shoes, he has completely different personality traits and skills to be honest, and yeah it would be in consonance to eren backing off from his past words after finding their enemies were humans and observing armins reaction to the whole conflict.

To be honest here, i believe in part that was his purpose, had erwin be chosen we may not get to the rumbling, and if we did i am 100% sure he would never kill his own soldiers to protect the rest of the world after hearing on first hand the discurse in marley and the declaration of war feom second hand... no way, floch would have been on check, and if needed hange and the 104 traitors executed... a complete monologue basically and a boring ending with no struggle... hence yeah, the idealist armin need to live 100% even if he wasnt gonna achieve anything.
Jan 15, 2021 12:22 AM

May 2017
MarekB said:
Complete rumbling can be avoided if titan curse is ended. Gabi mentioned the centipede in the last chapter so I assume we might see it again.

So the rumbling stops and the surviving marleyans move to Paradis? I don't know about that.. First of all, Eren would still be alive, and these people obviously hate him, so this will eventually cause problems (there will never be peace with the remaining marleyans if Eren is still around even if he's not a shifter anymore). Second, the Yeagerists treat non-eldians like crap (as we've seen from Floch) so the eldians vs. marleyans problem will never end. If they suddenly decide to let go of all that and live happily together it would feel very forced and would make even less sense than the peace ending with the Alliance which a lot of people say is unrealistic.

MarekB said:
I agree that Levi squad wasn't as significant as the main cast of characters. Still, I think that the main characters can't have the luxury of being unkillable. Isayama already killed characters from the main cast.

I don't think they're unkillable, I just meant that they shouldn't be killed off just for the sake of a plot twist and that they should all get a satisfying end to their characters (whether they die or not). I'm sure we'll see some deaths in the Alliance in the next chapters but I doubt it will be alot.

MarekB said:
If he would want to kill many of them in a short period of time then last chapters would be a fitting place to do so.

But why? If he wanted to kill that many characters, I feel like it would've been better to kill some of them during their fight with the Yeagerists or in the past 2 chapters. It's better than having like 6 characters die in one chapter for example.

MarekB said:
Of course there might be some ecological problems for the world, but I don't know if Isayama would go that far to include it in the story.

But it's clearly stated that the rumbling will not only kill people but also destroy the ecosystem (from Willy's speech). So if Paradis isn't affected by that in the end that would be a very obvious plot-hole.
Jan 15, 2021 6:56 AM

Oct 2020
Isayama said that the characters who appear in volume 1 will eventually all die. He said he tried to change this but the ending wouldn't work that way. I'm assuming it's gonna happen.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 13 Discussion

Nidhoeggr - May 15, 2011

21 by Steekira »»
Yesterday, 8:35 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 74 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

keragamming - Oct 6, 2015

132 by Berry-Vodka »»
Mar 17, 4:40 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 72 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Ana - Aug 6, 2015

119 by Berry-Vodka »»
Mar 16, 9:19 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 69 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

peskylemur25 - May 2, 2015

127 by Berry-Vodka »»
Mar 5, 8:18 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 66 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Ana - Feb 5, 2015

141 by Berry-Vodka »»
Feb 29, 10:29 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.