Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 7, 2021 9:13 AM

Jul 2017
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
For such a show to come out after Haikyuu! finishes its airing, there's no rush to have the sports volleyball anime scene back, but I certainly didn't expect one like this to come out so soon.

Everything is just like Haikyuu!, only with the David Production treatment. NO SORRY, SCRATCH THAT. This seems like a mix of Haikyuu! with some other shows like Given (BL front, though there's no BL) and Hoshiai no Sora/Stars Align (coming-of-age) on their aforementioned elements. Not to mention similar shows like Kuroko no Basket and Production I.G.'s Run With The Wind: different sport, same backdrop.

MCs Chika Haijima and Yuni Kuroba immediately strikes a chord, not just as childhood friends, but because of volleyball (because almost every other sports show have done the exact same formula: wash, rinse, repeat).

Not sure what to think of this, but I just can't stop comparing this to Haikyuu (at least volleyball) and others on being dark and depressing. Gonna have to keep this on hold.
KANLen09Jan 8, 2021 2:20 AM
Jan 7, 2021 10:49 AM
Jul 2018
looks like a pretty decent volleyball show, characters look alright so far. animation and ost are solid as expected. we haven't seen much but my prediction for this season is that chika guy is gonna turn the team from slackers into some pro team - he's kinda a dick though lmao
removed-userJan 7, 2021 11:05 AM
Jan 7, 2021 10:50 AM
Sep 2020
Didn't expect the ending at all. Really enjoyed it though. Animation style feels good and the volleyball seemed really realistic.

Once we see an actual game/tournament I think it will be easier to make a strong decision on wether it's a really good sports anime or not has all the potential to be one.
Jan 7, 2021 10:50 AM
May 2020
where can I watch it?
Jan 7, 2021 11:00 AM

Apr 2019
yama op is really good, ED is just okay though. Yuni's cousin is pretty hot. Wonder if the title has to do with the difference in the two's heights? So chika is basically a kageyama clone who pushed a kid to suicide. He's also an arrogant asshole at school because he's talented, hmm... hopefully this leads to an opportunity for character development. Otherwise seeing Chika is going to be painful to watch. Didn't he learn from his past expereinces that acting arrogant because you're talented and screaming at your teammates because they are underperforming isn't a good idea?

Jan 7, 2021 11:01 AM

Apr 2019
Jannes26 said:
where can I watch it?
don't ask this, all you'll do is get the people who answer you banned

Jan 7, 2021 11:06 AM
May 2020
9000 said:
Jannes26 said:
where can I watch it?
why would they get banned?
Jan 7, 2021 11:16 AM

Jul 2014
9000 said:
yama op is really good, ED is just okay though. Yuni's cousin is pretty hot. Wonder if the title has to do with the difference in the two's heights? So chika is basically a kageyama clone who pushed a kid to suicide. He's also an arrogant asshole at school because he's talented, hmm... hopefully this leads to an opportunity for character development. Otherwise seeing Chika is going to be painful to watch. Didn't he learn from his past expereinces that acting arrogant because you're talented and screaming at your teammates because they are underperforming isn't a good idea?

Judging by his stance to the regular kids(or so we'll call the tracksuit company), he probably realizes he went too far. At first glance he looks like an edgier Kageyama , but this kid probably faced a lot worse than a team's ostracization judging by the whole PTA/forums and guilt over attempted suicide.

Overall I was impressed with what I saw from the show. Animation was clean and art looked nice. OP was pleasant enough too. I do wonder how long it'll take for them to get into highschool.
Jan 7, 2021 11:21 AM
Aug 2017
Really liked both opening and ending and animations were nice (i mean lets be honest david production working on a volley anime, its going to be well animated). I really do not like any of the characters for now but its the first episode so of course ill have to wait. Also the pacing of the episode felt weird to me, like how suddenly all the members of the volley club starting coming even tho they said that people just joined the volley club just cause they had to choose one. Then we see all of them practicing together, most of them could not even pass properly and suddenly they become decent and spiking. It was a decent episode non the less and im glad that we are getting one more volley anime so soon.
GrdMysterionJan 7, 2021 2:37 PM
Jan 7, 2021 11:22 AM

Nov 2016
Off brand Tsukki takes things a bit too far. Got Kageyama vibes.

Won't expect a second Haikyuu from this, but seems promising and I hope for some engaging drama. Production and opening are nice. Even got a hint of fujo bait, as it should be.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 7, 2021 11:28 AM

Apr 2019
Jannes26 said:
9000 said:
why would they get banned?
just forum rules, you can't post links.

Jan 7, 2021 11:29 AM

Apr 2019
FMmatron said:
Off brand Tsukki takes things a bit too far. Got Kageyama vibes.

Won't expect a second Haikyuu from this, but seems promising and I hope for some engaging drama. Production and opening are nice. Even got a hint of fujo bait, as it should be.
Seems like it'll be volleyball with a lot of drama involved. I don't mind this style though, it's something different.

Jul 2017
This premiere felt bizarre for me since everything felt a bit off. A part of me thinks its the pacing, a part of me thinks its the animation looking a little stiff and unrefined, a part of me thinks it was the character interactions at the volleyball club in the episode, the only real thing that was clear to me was the ending where it is quite the intense one where we learn about how Chika was so aggressive with training others and yelling at them so much in his previous volleyball club that it pushed Souta, one of the players, to near suicide. I feel like this would have been way more impactful if the rest of the episode didn't feel as off as I described it earlier.

Really nice OP song though. Want the full release of that soon to get.

Apr 2019
Lazy said:
9000 said:

Judging by his stance to the regular kids(or so we'll call the tracksuit company), he probably realizes he went too far. At first glance he looks like an edgier Kageyama , but this kid probably faced a lot worse than a team's ostracization judging by the whole PTA/forums and guilt over attempted suicide.

Overall I was impressed with what I saw from the show. Animation was clean and art looked nice. OP was pleasant enough too. I do wonder how long it'll take for them to get into highschool.
Maybe he's having the hedgehogs dilemma now.

Jan 7, 2021 11:31 AM

Aug 2017
Most sports anime do well for me and I'll probably like this as well. Not a bad begin, Yuni looks ok but Chika... eh that went too far.
Jan 7, 2021 11:46 AM

Sep 2019
I'm not going to compare this to Haikyuu. I really liked the OP and ED. Animation was good. It looks like it has a serious plot, I'm interested in how he drove his teammate to attempt to suicide.
Jan 7, 2021 11:46 AM

Feb 2016
Good first episode so far. I’m definitely invested now and look forward to watching more episodes. Everyone is comparing this anime to Haikyuu but I think it has more of a Given feel. The first episode is more dramatic, deeper and even darker than Haikyuu. I can’t wait to see what the next episodes have to offer.
Jan 7, 2021 11:47 AM

Mar 2020
not too bad.. didn't expect that scene at the end, but i'm interested to see where this goes

❝☆ 𝗧𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝘀𝘁𝗮𝗿, 𝘁𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝘀𝘁𝗮𝗿, 𝗺𝘆 𝘃𝗼𝗶𝗰𝗲 ☆

𝘐 𝘸𝘪𝘴𝘩 𝘐 𝘤𝘰𝘶𝘭𝘥 𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘤𝘩 𝘺𝘰𝘶...

Jan 7, 2021 11:51 AM
Jan 2019
The opening is sooooooooooooo good, episode was solid as well
Jan 7, 2021 11:53 AM

Dec 2015
Nothing good nor bad from the first episode, the animation was just simple dunno why people above make it seem like its "good" its literally just average.
I know I shouldn't compare to Haikyuu but the glasses guy has the looks of Tsukki and is an extreme version of Kageyama which is kinda a bad rip off but mkay lets say it wasn't on purpose.

Its the first episode, I hope it gets good we'll see how it goes.
Jan 7, 2021 11:53 AM
Aug 2016
it's ok i guess? but i feel like they put way too many things in one episode. i'm sure i'll watch next episodes as well
Jan 7, 2021 11:54 AM
Jun 2019
Its promising I guess. I didn't like how they just skipped an entire month though. If the show is gonna focus more on the characters and story (which it seems like, with an ending like that) than the volley ball, I'd like to see a little more about how Haijimas first month at the new school would be.
Jan 7, 2021 11:57 AM
Sep 2015
No one mention Hoshiai no Sora/Stars Align? This is basically coming-of-age anime in the disguise of sports anime. And the way the end of the first episode reveals something frightening is just like Hoshiai no Sora/Stars Align. The artstyle is also similar.

But similarity doesn't mean bad, I'm sure this will be one unique anime that will have a clear definitive ending. And even if it's similar, I still get to see many boys to fap for.
Jan 7, 2021 12:00 PM

Jun 2019
Okay, so Tsukishima really went to make his own anime. But a little bit different here Tsukishima is with Kageyama's personality a little bit. A good player but with a bad attitude and edge lord. Enjoyed the first ep. felt quite a bit rushed but it's fine. Let's see how this show will go. The animation looks good so far. OP is fire. ED is catchy AF. And also Yuni and Chika have a lot of blushing moments. lol
Jan 7, 2021 12:06 PM

Sep 2020
I have a feeling that this is going to be reeeaally painful.

I really liked the first episode, both main characters are very interesting and I sense that there is a lot potential for development, both character and relationship wise (and I don't mean in a romantic way).

It's natural to compare them to certain Haikyuu characters, but I really don't want to do that. It just doesn't feel right.

I guess we can't expect it to be a happy and funny sports-shonen-anime and, honestly, I'm here for it. I like that it has drama vibes and will probably focus on inner conflicts and interpersonal relationships.

Animation was really smooth and the art and character design is very pretty, music was good too.

So far. I couldn't find anything negative, I'm looking forward to the second episode!
Jan 7, 2021 12:09 PM
Aug 2020
i rlly enjoyed it actually. i have a feeling that this is gonna be way more emotional and heavy than haikyuu from the ending so im excited to see how these characters develop
Jan 7, 2021 12:19 PM

Jul 2020
I liked this more than I thought I would.
Animation is solid (and I expect that it would improve later) and this first episode is fairly interesting. Really hope this can be something good
Jan 7, 2021 12:23 PM

Jan 2016
davekramer said:
Nothing good nor bad from the first episode, the animation was just simple dunno why people above make it seem like its "good" its literally just average.
I know I shouldn't compare to Haikyuu but the glasses guy has the looks of Tsukki and is an extreme version of Kageyama which is kinda a bad rip off but mkay lets say it wasn't on purpose.

Its the first episode, I hope it gets good we'll see how it goes.

The normal animation was pretty average yes, but I felt like the animation for key moments during actual volleyball looked great. I'm guessing games later on would feature animation like this for at least certain moments.
Jan 7, 2021 12:26 PM
Nov 2019
What was the Yuni guy running outside to greet Chika. Fujoshis will take note of it for sure
Jan 7, 2021 12:43 PM
Sep 2015
Damn, I don't really like to compare one anime with another but Chika is giving me serious Tsukishima and early Kageyama vibes lol. Pretty sure that the reason he doesn't talk to people and pushes them away at school is not really because he thinks that he's better than the other students, but because of his past: he doesn't want the same thing to happen again (the suicide attempt). He did act like a prick back in his old school (just like Kageyama lol), so he has probably learnt his lesson by now because I'm pretty sure he went through some of his own shit after the incident. Anyways, a pretty solid episode for me.

Oh, and the opening slaps.
Jan 7, 2021 12:47 PM

Sep 2020
OP and ED are top-notch, also can I just point out that the hoodlum looking cousin has such a punchable face LMAO.....

Arteta's Tricky Reds!

Jan 7, 2021 12:52 PM

May 2020
The op was good, the show kind of feels like a beginner's guide to volleyball and if Tsukki and Tobio became one person it would probably be Haijima, Yuni on the other hand is such a cutie!
Jan 7, 2021 12:54 PM

Mar 2020
Feel like this show will be centred around Yuni and Kimichika both on and off court. By what it looks like I do not think other characters will get much development.

Think this show will be a short climb to the top while solving issues and what not show.

The opening and ending were great. Think I heard a couple of unique sound effects.

Ball definitely flew a bit weird in a couple of scenes.

Will it be better than Haikyuu? Probably not although I think there's a possibility that this show has something in store for us that it has not revealed yet.
Jan 7, 2021 12:55 PM
May 2020
I haven’t watched Haikyuu yet, but I’m confident to say that 2.43 is also gonna be a great volleyball anime like Haikyuu. For a first episode, 2.43 did a really good job. It introduced most of the main characters, their personalities and left us with intent to continue watching because at the ending of episode 1, part of Chika’s backstory was revealed (the suicide stuff) and this leads us to wonder how the other characters are going to feel in response to Chika’s backstory so definitely a very well crafted 1st episode. I am going to continue watching, hyped for the 2nd episode!
Rekozin
Jan 7, 2021 12:57 PM
Aug 2020
I enjoyed this first ep, but I’m interested to see how the series is going to go, whether it’s going to be more sports focused or more character focused as I adore both approaches and any approach inbetween really, but I like the idea of a sports anime that looks beyond the big matches. Don’t know if this is gonna be it, but either way we’ll wait and see.
Jan 7, 2021 1:07 PM

Oct 2017
I told myself I wasn’t gonna compare this to haikyuu but cmon, mean setter?? That screams kageyama to me 😂
Jan 7, 2021 1:14 PM

Nov 2018
rather than haikyu it has more vibes like sangatsu no lion. i expect this to be a good coming of age drama,

but I'm afraid the fujosh will ruin it.
Jan 7, 2021 1:16 PM
Jan 2021
Decent start currently. Definitely won't compare it to Haikyuu, which some people probably would given that Haikyuu literally aired last season. David Production is doing a pretty good job and the characters really interest me. I'm gonna keep my eye on this one. Also the OP and ED are some of my favorites this season, especially the ED like WOW
Jan 7, 2021 1:17 PM
Apr 2018
"What position?"

"Huh?"

"What position do you play? You're on the volleyball team, right?"

"Oh, that's what you meant..."

what POSITION were he thinking lol
Jan 7, 2021 1:19 PM

Dec 2019
This seems promising! I liked this more than I thought I would. The animation looking a little stiff but am sure it would get better down the line. Could this be better than Haikyuu? I don't think so but if every episode is like this... it could be around the same level.

For characters, we have Tsukishima mixed with Kageyama. The other main character is kinda reminding me of Yamaguchi. Am excited to see how they develop! (I hope there is no Oikawa copy in the future >w>) But I don't want to compare it to Haikyuu. Seems unfair.

However, I do get more given vibes compared to haikyuu though. (Not in terms of yaoi)

»»Delievers Here««
★・・・・・・★

"Today might be the chance to grasp
the chance to let your talent bloom" -Tooru Oikawa

-Signature from Annie_Law

Jan 7, 2021 1:35 PM
Aug 2020
its angsty, i like it. the mc seems like Kageyama if he switched bodies with Tsukishima. Looking forward to next weeks episode.
Jan 7, 2021 1:43 PM

Jun 2020
After seeing the first episode, I'm no longer comparing this anime to Haikyuu!!

This has an entirely different approach, and I hope that people who are watching the show won't relentlessly compare the two to one another :P

Also, completely agree with another user who said the first episode reminded them of Given. Obviously, not in the aspect of LGBTQ+ things, although it would be really cool if they gave us a gay or queer character, like Hoshiai no Sora did, but the general serene atmosphere - and the concept of a new student being outted for their difficult past.

Really excited to see where they'll take this.
Jan 7, 2021 1:46 PM

Jun 2019
As much as I don’t want to, I am consciously obligated to compare this to Haikyuu while I watch it.

It is using that sports trope of a team that doesn’t care gets their love for the sport reinvigorated by a new player. It’s overused, but I can move past it.

I also don’t like it when sports anime yaoi bait without actually dedicating to it. It’s fine if the characters are gay, but if they aren’t then it just comes across as pandering.
Jan 7, 2021 2:00 PM

Mar 2016
This was fun.

The animation was great, but—because of Production IG's animation for Haikyuu—the animation here felt like something was missing.

I am liking the start of this story more than Haikyuu.

Looks like this will have more story than just boring volleyball matches. I hope I am not mistaken.

The two leads are very cute and interesting. I am mostly interested in Yuni right now.

There was a slight hint of BL, but I know it won't go anywhere. Still, I will pray that it will be like "Kaze ga Tsuyoku Fuiteiru" where the two main characters sort of hint that they are in love with each other, and don't fall for any of the girls.
Jan 7, 2021 2:03 PM

Nov 2017
was NOT expecting that ending! pretty intriguing show, albeit a little weirdly paced imo
overall, excited for next ep tho
"Leonardo... it wasn't, by any means, only your eyes that we welcomed into Libra."
- Klaus von Reinherz
Jan 7, 2021 2:26 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Ohh, I'm really liking this so far! I think knowing that it was adapted from a novel prepared me for some drama. I agree with phantomfandom that this seems more like a coming-of-age than a pure sports story. The town seems small, and Yuni's best friend is his cousin, who seems to not hang out with the best people. Like seriously? You're going to let your "friends" keep calling your cousin "rich boy?" Unless Yori also doesn't like those people, either. Well there's a lot I think that could be said about the last scene. I'm interested in some of the drama aspects.

As for Chika, so far, it seems like he's changed a bit from how he was in Tokyo, due to him having pushed his teammate over the edge. From the montage of their practices, Chika has a looot of patience with the members, most of whom were complete beginners, not knowing how to receive, having trouble with all kinds of basics. Even though he's the type to want to win and takes volleyball very seriously, here in the countryside, he only wants to play more volleyball. He wasn't desperate either, as he practiced alone, never pestering the other members to come to practice. I wonder if his new attitude will hold up, whenever they start to participate in real matches. Has he really learned from his mistakes, or will he still become short-tempered due to wanting to win? I find his character fascinating from just one episode, as it showed two very different sides of Chika. How cute was he when he was excited that Yuni offered to practice with him? ^^

On Yuni, he has a really laid-back personality, and seems like he may have never really tried hard at something, or doesn't have something he's passionate about, so having Chika around should be able to help him with that aspect of himself. Yuni also seems to avoid conflicts as well. It's clear that he'll continue playing volleyball, but I'm curious as how he'll handle conflict (with both Yori and Chika).
Jan 7, 2021 2:40 PM

Jul 2012
Went into this knowing nothing about except that it's about volleyball and came out honestly surprised.

I'm really curious to see where they're headed from here.
"In the past few months since we met, I've shared many memories with Nagato. Though I've also shared memories with Haruhi, Asahina-san and Koizumi, I found that I've experienced more events with Nagato in particular. In fact, every situation seems to involve her. I might as well mention this, she's probably the only person to cause the bell within me to shake the most vigorously..." ~ Kyon, TMOSH
Jan 7, 2021 2:44 PM

Jul 2020
Pretty fun first episode. As a Haikyuu fan it felt different and new enough for me to want to keep watching more.
Jan 7, 2021 3:02 PM

Mar 2016
If Haikyuu was more of some overly convoluted and conceited soap opera fluff, this would be it. While the animation seems alright, the pacing of the story feels very off and I find the drama about as silly as any post-VN era KEY work.
While at least we come to recognize certain character motivations, they don’t have much to make me bother caring yet.
Jan 7, 2021 3:10 PM
Mar 2020
From ep 1, I guess there will be a lot drama involved for the rest of the series.

Chika really looks like Tsukki but in an alternate universe where he cares about volleyball and it is not "just a club" lol
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » 2.43: Seiin Koukou Danshi Volley-bu Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 25, 2021

64 by fiveguysshake »»
Apr 16, 12:15 PM

Poll: » 2.43: Seiin Koukou Danshi Volley-bu Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 4, 2021

43 by fiveguysshake »»
Apr 16, 8:42 AM

Poll: » 2.43: Seiin Koukou Danshi Volley-bu Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 25, 2021

35 by fiveguysshake »»
Apr 16, 8:24 AM

Poll: » 2.43: Seiin Koukou Danshi Volley-bu Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 4, 2021

53 by fiveguysshake »»
Apr 13, 10:37 AM

Poll: » 2.43: Seiin Koukou Danshi Volley-bu Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 18, 2021

38 by damoInstinct »»
Jun 3, 2023 8:48 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.